Hillstead Transferring

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Hillstead Transferring

Post by aggies22 » April 15th, 2024, 8:22 am

AggiePharm wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 7:31 am
dyedblue wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 6:12 am
I’m still not sure why the staff did what they did with the QBs this off season. Bringing in a grad transfer made little sense given that we have a senior starter and a sophomore with a lot of experience. Yet we brought in two grad transfers who had a lot of experience but don’t fit our style of offense.

Expecting a young QB to be happy in that situation is wishful at best. It sent a during message that he wasn’t going to see the girls this year. That’s fine if he wasn’t going to cut it, but now we have nobody in the wings.

I like Barnes, and Utah did him dirty. He got wins over Florida and USC, but I don’t see him airing the ball out in a wide open offense like we run.
Agreed. Trying to redshirt Hillstead after playing him as much as you did last year was a questionable decision at best. The QB room has a fairly bleak future at the moment.
With the transfer portal and the free transfer rule, your quarterback room can literally change overnight. Keep your head up, my Aggie brother, we'll have another QB on scholarship soon enough.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
AngusAgvegasaggieAggieFBObsessionSection_L_Aggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 15th, 2024, 8:47 am

Nothing to worry about. This is a new age of college football. Getting a transfer QB isn't nearly as hard as it once was. Hillstead had some talent, but I never thought he was high end material. Too small.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 15th, 2024, 8:56 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 5:47 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 9:15 pm
blueblood wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 9:09 pm
Are all these kids and their “advisers” so confident in themselves that they can’t see reality? I am willing to bet that if he does enter the portal he never matches his season highs he had as a freshman here at USU.

Didn’t the Bishop kid basically do the same thing and he is riding the pine at an FCS school?

Vaughns had an NFL career ahead of him but he couldn’t get out of his own way and ended up at Baylor(I think) not starting and probably missed his shot at the NFL with limited tape from his Sr. year.

If Hillstead redshirts next year (he can still play 4 games) at USU, he gets the keys to the kingdom with 3 to play 3 in a system that he has two years experience in.

He goes somewhere else he is forced to learn a new system and start at the bottom.
In all likelihood he’s probably not happy his coach keeps bringing in transfers and putting them above him. I’m sure that has part to do with this.
And by transfers you mean a 7th year senior? Because Bryson Barnes has been a distant 4th QB so far.
Yeah, I do. I see the clear future ahead for Hillstead after this season, but he still has to look at this and go "my coach just brought in 2 upperclassman QB's that started at P5 schools" and question his future with the school.

I'm not disagreeing with Coach Anderson, just saying I can see why Hillstead would want to transfer.

Now I'm super intrigued where he ends up. New Mexico with Utah County's hero seems like a possibility. It's also interesting that right after all of Utah's QBs besides Cam Rising looked like crap in their Spring game, Hillstead hits the portal.

I could also see Utah Tech though too, so I'm intrigued to see where he goes.

Calmdown
Troll

Post by Calmdown » April 15th, 2024, 9:06 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 8:56 am
aggies22 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
blueblood wrote:
Are all these kids and their “advisers” so confident in themselves that they can’t see reality? I am willing to bet that if he does enter the portal he never matches his season highs he had as a freshman here at USU.

Didn’t the Bishop kid basically do the same thing and he is riding the pine at an FCS school?

Vaughns had an NFL career ahead of him but he couldn’t get out of his own way and ended up at Baylor(I think) not starting and probably missed his shot at the NFL with limited tape from his Sr. year.

If Hillstead redshirts next year (he can still play 4 games) at USU, he gets the keys to the kingdom with 3 to play 3 in a system that he has two years experience in.

He goes somewhere else he is forced to learn a new system and start at the bottom.
In all likelihood he’s probably not happy his coach keeps bringing in transfers and putting them above him. I’m sure that has part to do with this.
And by transfers you mean a 7th year senior? Because Bryson Barnes has been a distant 4th QB so far.
Yeah, I do. I see the clear future ahead for Hillstead after this season, but he still has to look at this and go "my coach just brought in 2 upperclassman QB's that started at P5 schools" and question his future with the school.

I'm not disagreeing with Coach Anderson, just saying I can see why Hillstead would want to transfer.

Now I'm super intrigued where he ends up. New Mexico with Utah County's hero seems like a possibility. It's also interesting that right after all of Utah's QBs besides Cam Rising looked like crap in their Spring game, Hillstead hits the portal.

I guess you missed Isaac Wilson’s snaps. That kid is supposed to still be in HS and looked good

gomretat

Post by gomretat » April 15th, 2024, 9:09 am

Disappointing for sure. I am in the camp that Hillstead had the best upside of any QB we have right now. It would have been surprising if one of them didnt move on after spring ball but I was hoping it would not be Hillstead. We definitely need to find someone for next year instead of Barnes IMO.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
bluegrouse

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 15th, 2024, 9:19 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 8:22 am
AggiePharm wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 7:31 am
dyedblue wrote:
I’m still not sure why the staff did what they did with the QBs this off season. Bringing in a grad transfer made little sense given that we have a senior starter and a sophomore with a lot of experience. Yet we brought in two grad transfers who had a lot of experience but don’t fit our style of offense.

Expecting a young QB to be happy in that situation is wishful at best. It sent a during message that he wasn’t going to see the girls this year. That’s fine if he wasn’t going to cut it, but now we have nobody in the wings.

I like Barnes, and Utah did him dirty. He got wins over Florida and USC, but I don’t see him airing the ball out in a wide open offense like we run.
Agreed. Trying to redshirt Hillstead after playing him as much as you did last year was a questionable decision at best. The QB room has a fairly bleak future at the moment.
With the transfer portal and the free transfer rule, your quarterback room can literally change overnight. Keep your head up, my Aggie brother, we'll have another QB on scholarship soon enough.
Agreed, i don't get the angst with trying to make the QB room better. From all accounts Petras is performing well and likely better than LEgas at this point. I don't see how that is a negative. Barnes is a solid backup but don't see him ever being the guy at USU. I like Hillstead but have my doubts if he can be a reliable started at the D1 level. He is pretty inury prone, he also is extremely short for the position. NOt that he can't be successful I just am not sold that he would be the future at the position. I also don't see how transferring past spring really helps him. He will be behind at his new school which would most likely mean he will have to redshirt at this new school. He could have stayed here and played in 4 games and still redshirted but be in line to compete for the starting job next year. Patience is a lost art in college athletics and life in general.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
aggies22

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 15th, 2024, 9:28 am

After Petras goes from "worst D1 qb" (due to a broken Iowa offense) to an NFL draft prospect this season, there will be plenty of good transfer qb's knocking at the door to get into Blake's system next season.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 6):
trevordudeRoy McAvoyFromLItoLoganAggieFBObsessionutahcountyaggieToastedFlakes52

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » April 15th, 2024, 9:50 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 9:28 am
After Petras goes from "worst D1 qb" (due to a broken Iowa offense) to an NFL draft prospect this season, there will be plenty of good transfer qb's knocking at the door to get into Blake's system next season.
Lol, my stupid Vikings are going to trade up and take JJ McCarthy.

With the right hype train, a decent QB in Blake's offense should be a draft prospect.

Not sent from Tapatalk

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 15th, 2024, 10:06 am

Calmdown wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 9:06 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
blueblood wrote:

I guess you missed Isaac Wilson’s snaps. That kid is supposed to still be in HS and looked good

SLB

Post by SLB » April 15th, 2024, 10:43 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 11:16 pm
Hoot wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 10:23 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 10:10 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 7:47 pm
Too small.
I was hoping if he did end up leaving, it would be cause of us having a guy overtake him on the depth chart that is at least equal to him in eligibility.
Rumor has it Zeke Payne is staking his claim for the starting QB job.
Which would be strange since he hasn't been in spring camp at all.
What a Payne

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 15th, 2024, 10:45 am

I'm not sure it matters BUT I've 100% confirmed this. Hillstead is gone.

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » April 15th, 2024, 10:54 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 10:45 am
Expect a “breaking” tweet from the “heard it first” Twitter account on Wednesday
These users thanked the author greggers1868 for the post (total 4):
EngineeringAggieaggies22AGinNEIowatrevordude

Calmdown
Troll

Post by Calmdown » April 15th, 2024, 11:23 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 10:06 am
Calmdown wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
blueblood wrote:

I’m not going to try to convince you that 8/12 for 165 yards and 2TDs with great arm talent and confidence on display as a true Fr with only 3 months on campus is far from looking “like crap”. It should be obvious

ususports

Post by ususports » April 15th, 2024, 11:23 am

greggers1868 wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 10:54 am
aggies22 wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 10:45 am
Expect a “breaking” tweet from the “heard it first” Twitter account on Wednesday
SLB has already commented in this thread, but we are all waiting for him to proclaim he knew this was coming all along.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
AggieBlues

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 15th, 2024, 11:26 am

I wish him success where ever he ends up, unless it's Utah, the Y or another MWC team.
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post:
GameFAQSAggie

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 15th, 2024, 11:29 am

Aggie702 wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 11:26 am
I wish him success where ever he ends up, unless it's Utah, the Y or another MWC team.
Even in every game except the one against Utah State if it's a Mountain West team not named Boise State.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
Aggie702

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 15th, 2024, 11:58 am

Calmdown wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 11:23 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 10:06 am
Calmdown wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
blueblood wrote:

I’m not going to try to convince you that 8/12 for 165 yards and 2TDs with great arm talent and confidence on display as a true Fr with only 3 months on campus is far from looking “like crap”. It should be obvious
The very fact that you're running to the utah state message board to post this says otherwise.

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » April 15th, 2024, 12:28 pm

I hope for the best for any kid that committed to Utah State and then it just did not play out the way he hoped.

Whether it is PT, injury, or just plain bad luck.

Whether they feel they just need to try another school, drop down a level, move closer to home, or whatever, I thank them for their efforts and wish them the Best.

We don't always need to agree with all decisions, but I always appreciate the effort, sweat, blood, and even some tears that are shed for Utah State.

The truth of the transfer portal seems to me to be how few guys really transfer "up" into a far better situation with far more PT and exposure.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 15th, 2024, 2:24 pm

dyedblue wrote:

Screw Hillstead if he doesn't have the patience. That was part of the problem with him starting anyway. Too impatient sometimes. Patience is difficult to come by at that age.

Regarding Blake A, he made the 100% correct choice in bringing in Petras. I can't wait until you eat your words this year with this post. Nothing against you personally but you'll see.

Lastly, were you not watching one qb after another go down to injury last year? Hillstead may have got his pt this year has he had a grain of patience, and not redshirted. We'll be damn lucky if Petras and Legas remain healthy all year. Regardless, I'm really excited to see both these studs play qb this year.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025PIGSKINAGGIE

pcaggie

Post by pcaggie » April 15th, 2024, 3:42 pm

Next Up, move on.

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » April 15th, 2024, 4:15 pm

If you are going shoot for being an FBS-level QB, you better have your big-boy pants on and not get too distracted by roster movement or look too far down the road and count too many chickens.

For better or worse, this is just the way of things in the Transfer Portal World of College Football.

Coaches are simply going to do everything in their power to ensure that they have capable backups to their backups.

And the opponents are going to do everything in their power to knock your QB out of the game

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 15th, 2024, 5:03 pm

AggiePharm wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 8:06 am
I feel like this whole situation was easily avoidable. The offensive priority for next season should've been OL to keep your QB's on their feet and off the injury report. Then:

1. Legas as the clear QB1
2. Hillstead as the experienced sophomore and QB of the future
3. Sure, bring in Barnes as your "break in case of emergency" 3rd stringer with P5 experience

Simple, predictable balance of your win-now starter and youth waiting in the wings still getting reps with the 1's to keep him engaged with the program and developing.
So if he is 2nd string and battling Barnes instead of 3rd, he stays? The 2 guys ahead of him move on next year either way. Take a RS, clear all the cobwebs and compete next year. This isn't on the Coaching staff.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
AggieFBObsession

coolag

Post by coolag » April 15th, 2024, 5:06 pm

None of this matters if our OL doesn't improve by leaps and bounds. And if Motes is still a starter this year...............hello concussion protocol for any QB that plays.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
Hoot

Regulator of Class

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 15th, 2024, 5:09 pm

Based on what I've seen first hand from Petras nobody will be regretting having him on the roster. Sucks that Hillstead left but not the end of the world
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiBlue Sage

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 15th, 2024, 6:32 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 5:09 pm
Based on what I've seen first hand from Petras nobody will be regretting having him on the roster. Sucks that Hillstead left but not the end of the world
Things like this always make me nervous.

Many years ago in Jacksonville, despite having David Garrard, the Jaguars decided to draft Blaine Gabbert. Many of you will remember how that all played out for the Jags (he did end up with 2 rings!).

What people often don’t remember is that in the offseason all the buzz was about how awesome Gabbert was looking and how he was tearing everything up.

They cut Garrard the day before the season after naming him the starter and Gabbert ended up being a giant bust that set the team back by half a decade.

Former Aggie John Chick was on that team and sacked Andy Dalton.

Also can anyone name a GM in all of professional sports who was worse than Gene Smith?

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 15th, 2024, 6:42 pm

Hoot wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 6:32 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:

Many years ago in Jacksonville, despite having David Garrard, the Jaguars decided to draft Blaine Gabbert. Many of you will remember how that all played out for the Jags (he did end up with 2 rings!).

What people often don’t remember is that in the offseason all the buzz was about how awesome Gabbert was looking and how he was tearing everything up.

They cut Garrard the day before the season after naming him the starter and Gabbert ended up being a giant bust that set the team back by half a decade.

Also can anyone name a GM in all of professional sports who was worse than Gene Smith?
Elgin Baylor is the worst gm in sports history, but to be fair he did have the worst owner in sports history

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 15th, 2024, 6:56 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
Excited to see what Petras can do in a real offense

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 15th, 2024, 7:15 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 6:42 pm
Hoot wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:

Elgin Baylor is the worst gm in sports history, but to be fair he did have the worst owner in sports history
He at least won exec of the year once. Gene Smith’s best draft pick was Tyson Alualu, a guy with a third round grade who he took at 10…

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » April 15th, 2024, 8:44 pm

Hoot wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 7:15 pm
Hoot wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:

He at least won exec of the year once. Gene Smith’s best draft pick was Tyson Alualu, a guy with a third round grade who he took at 10…
Matt Millen is the worst gm of all time for any sport and it’s not close.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 15th, 2024, 8:49 pm

greggers1868 wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 8:44 pm
Hoot wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 7:15 pm
Hoot wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:

Matt Millen is the worst gm of all time for any sport and it’s not close.
He had a worse record but he also started off with a worse team plus he did draft Calvin Johnson. The only reason Smiths record isn’t worse is because the Jags had a good team when he took over.

Millen at least drafted guys who were supposed to be good. Smith didn’t even do that. Millen also had twice as much time to screw everything up.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 15th, 2024, 9:22 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
I mean it’s true. Legas and Petras have been so far ahead of the rest in practices. The fact Hillstead is leaving is because he knows it. If he believed in himself he wouldn’t go. One things for sure you have to have a QB that believes in himself. I’m pretty happy with the QB room. Not sure what all the hate is.
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
AggieFBObsession

#hornsup!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 15th, 2024, 9:35 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 9:22 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
I mean it’s true. Legas and Petras have been so far ahead of the rest in practices. The fact Hillstead is leaving is because he knows it. If he believed in himself he wouldn’t go. One things for sure you have to have a QB that believes in himself. I’m pretty happy with the QB room. Not sure what all the hate is.
Check back at the end of October and we’ll see where we’re at.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 15th, 2024, 10:13 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 9:35 pm
Blue Sage wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
Will do. I wish Hillstead had stayed, but I'm genuinely enjoying what I'm seeing in practice right now. We have every reason to be excited about the QBs. It’s reminiscent of last year when I first learned who Sprinkle was bringing in. You could sense early on that we were going to be much better than people expected. Did you know a group of Iowa fans are watching all the Petras USU practice videos? They love what they’re seeing and are envious of the offensive system we have. They see the potential in what we’re doing with Petras. I must say, even though I'm a huge Hillstead fan, it seems to me that Petras might have a shot at going pro. I love Legas and his killer instincts, but Petras seems to have a higher ceiling. Recruiting over Hillstead is part of Blake’s job, right? I’d love to see Hillstead boomerang back to Utah State after starting somewhere else this year—that would be a dream. The truth is, with unlimited transfers and the portal, this kind of movement is happening everywhere. I hate it, but it’s the new norm.
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
AggieFBObsession

#hornsup!

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 15th, 2024, 10:37 pm

dyedblue wrote:
Blue Sage wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
Or check back in January when we’re headed into the next season with Bryson Barnes as our starter.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 15th, 2024, 10:49 pm

Hoot wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 10:37 pm
dyedblue wrote:
Blue Sage wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
Or check back in January when we’re headed into the next season with Bryson Barnes as our starter.
We'll snag another portal QB by June, we'll add an early graduate high school dude and let those two battle it out with Barnes next spring.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
HootAggieFBObsession

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic