WSU

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
RogerAndersen

WSU

Post by RogerAndersen » April 17th, 2024, 12:22 pm

Just to sum up where things seem to be.

WSU/OSU now want to do a FB Scheduling agreement with the MWC.

While parking the majority (10 sports) including BB and WBB in the WCC.

But they will beg to stick the other sorts that can't find any home in the MWC.

I would probably push for all or none.

At first, the idea of WSU/OSU coming to the MWC seemed pretty good.

They seemed to fit geographically and philosophically.

But as time goes on and their list of demands grows and it becomes clear that they are always gonna be whiny and squisy, it seems we should tell them and BSU to take their list of special demands and take a flying leap off a tall building.

Sure we want them, but they are not exactly in a position to be throwing around a whole buch of demands.
Last edited by RogerAndersen on April 18th, 2024, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author RogerAndersen for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieAggieFBObsession

cval

Re: WSU

Post by cval » April 17th, 2024, 12:29 pm

I think the best move is for the MWC to threaten to leave them without a home until they realize that they have no leverage, then relent and let them in without special treatment.
These users thanked the author cval for the post (total 2):
travelingaggAggieFBObsession

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 17th, 2024, 12:31 pm

2025 all in as a normal member or good luck to you.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post (total 9):
AggiePT3rdGenAggieaggies22Section_L_AggieaceofspadeskbtravelingaggHoottrevordudeAggieFBObsession

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » April 17th, 2024, 2:11 pm

RogerAndersen wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 12:22 pm
Just to sum things up.

I would just tell them no.

But as time goes on and their list of demands grows and it becomes clear that they are always gonna be whiny and needy, it seems we should tell them and BSU to take their list of special demands and take a flying leap off a tall building.
WCC over MWC for basketball? Why. Yeah, Gonzaga and St. Mary's are consistently good, but MWC is objectively better. Plus, Utah State, Colorado State, Wyoming, University of New Mexico, University of Nevada, etc., are a lot more similar to WSU and OSU than are schools like St. Mary's, Pacific, etc.

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

Old Fart Young @ Heart
Has thanked: 0

Post by Old Fart Young @ Heart » April 17th, 2024, 2:32 pm

Washington State has become associate members of the Mountain West for Baseball and Swimming>

josephconlin

Post by josephconlin » April 17th, 2024, 3:10 pm

RogerAndersen wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 12:22 pm
Just to sum things up.

I would just tell them no.

But as time goes on and their list of demands grows and it becomes clear that they are always gonna be whiny and needy, it seems we should tell them and BSU to take their list of special demands and take a flying leap off a tall building.
You have been posting a lot about WSU/OSU over the past few months, including starting this new thread about them with only "sum things up" regurgitated information that was already available in previous threads when these thoughts could have been added to an existing thread.

I'm genuinely curious what draws your attention to possibly adding them to the MWC that you want to post about it so much. My personal opinion is that I'd be fine if the MWC membership stays the same as it currently exists. I'd also be fine if WSU and OSU were added to/merged with the current MWC membership with no special accommodations for them. Since there is no real news coming out (that I've seen at least) about decisions actually being made or discussions actually taking place, I don't find it to be a story worth following/discussing in any detail at this stage.

What is it about this story that causes you to be so invested in it? I'm not trying to say not to talk about it - as I mentioned, I'm just genuinely curious as to what motivates your interest in it so much. :cheers:
These users thanked the author josephconlin for the post:
inconspicuous

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » April 17th, 2024, 5:57 pm

For me, I would like to see the MWC continue on an upward trajectory.

Like it or not, FB drives the bus in many financial considerations. So it seems that connecting to a couple of PAC12 schools would be good.

I have also said it would not hurt to try to pull in a couple of WWC Basketball Schools that make sense.

I am no expert. I put my actual name in here so there is not pretense of having any inside info.. I am just your average fan of Utah State.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 17th, 2024, 7:00 pm

For what it's worth, everyone I know at WSU, which is objectively nobody that would really know(just professors in the Business school) all expect WSU to effectively be in the MW in the next few years.

The PAC 2 had to split their sports between multiple conferences for legal reasons to keep the pac name alive long enough to be the only ones still in the conference and pick up their pay day.

They could not have had a scheduling agreement with the MWC in football and join for basketball because the argument could be made in court that they could have successfully joined as full members of the MWC next year, which would mean that PAC would fold this year with all 12 members. So they had to find a non football conference to park all their other teams for a few years.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 17th, 2024, 10:02 pm

cval wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 12:29 pm
I think the best move is for the MWC to threaten to leave them without a home until they realize that they have no leverage, then relent and let them in without special treatment.
I have been continually dismissed, if not railed, on this board for suggesting the same. But, but, we make SOOOO much money on our scheduling agreement with them. :crazy:

Full

Post by Full » April 18th, 2024, 7:24 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 10:02 pm
cval wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 12:29 pm
I have been continually dismissed, if not railed, on this board for suggesting the same. But, but, we make SOOOO much money on our scheduling agreement with them. :crazy:
Ultimately the answer to adding them or not is financial. If the money is better they will be added. If teams make less with them added, they won’t be added. We’ll see what two years in the WCC and as football independent with a scheduling agreement with the Mountain West does for their value. My guess is they are added because $$$$.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » April 18th, 2024, 10:02 am

Just a note for those who don’t know the details of the deal (caveat that this is coming from my uber WSU Coug fan neighbor), but the PAC-2 teams are paying MWC teams for both home and away games. He said it was something like $1.2M for the home games and $800k for the away games. It is virtually unheard of for the away team to pay the home team for a game.

Eventually I would like to see the complete reverse merger, but in the meantime this isn’t a bad deal for the MWC.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
JSHarvey

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » April 18th, 2024, 1:01 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 7:00 pm
For what it's worth, everyone I know at WSU, which is objectively nobody that would really know(just professors in the Business school) all expect WSU to effectively be in the MW in the next few years.

The PAC 2 had to split their sports between multiple conferences for legal reasons to keep the pac name alive long enough to be the only ones still in the conference and pick up their pay day.

They could not have had a scheduling agreement with the MWC in football and join for basketball because the argument could be made in court that they could have successfully joined as full members of the MWC next year, which would mean that PAC would fold this year with all 12 members. So they had to find a non football conference to park all their other teams for a few years.
It's also worth noting that WSU/OSU are paying the MWC to play them in football for the next two years. It's also possible that the MWC said that they wouldn't agree to a scheduling agreement in basketball without compensation so they went to the WCC instead. Bottom line is that I don't think one should read anything into the fact that they are playing in the WCC in basketball for the next two years.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post:
LarryTheAggie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic