Le’gone

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Legas…gone

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 17th, 2024, 3:36 pm

Hoot wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 3:24 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 3:08 pm
Hoot wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 2:51 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 2:48 pm
I figure we're the type of program that will have 3 or 4 year cycles...at least historically. We'll see in the brave new world of the unlimited transfer portal.

I'm not overly bothered by a few average years after a great year as long as we have another great year before too long.
Average years are disappointing but there’s a difference between average and getting destroyed by Weber and barely skating past bad teams.
The Weber game is unforgiveable, but the season did get turned around and we beat a 10 win Air Force team. Legas should have started the whole year. Similar to when he came in for Hillstead and the offense would become much better, had he been the guy all of 2022, we would have a very different view of that season.
I suppose that is true though we got plowed in that bowl game. I’m totally out on Blake after last season though.

That being said I hope we go undefeated and I get to eat a steaming pile of deep fried vulture.
Are you implying eating a steaming pile of deep fried vulture isn't good?

SLB

Post by SLB » April 17th, 2024, 3:55 pm

I have been early on the firing BA train because the team has been bizarre since 2022. Bizarre is the word to describe the football team.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
Hoot

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 17th, 2024, 3:57 pm

April 17th, 2024, 3:36 pm
Hoot wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 3:24 pm
April 17th, 2024, 3:08 pm
Hoot wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 2:51 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 2:48 pm
I figure we're the type of program that will have 3 or 4 year cycles...at least historically. We'll see in the brave new world of the unlimited transfer portal.

I'm not overly bothered by a few average years after a great year as long as we have another great year before too long.
Average years are disappointing but there’s a difference between average and getting destroyed by Weber and barely skating past bad teams.
The Weber game is unforgiveable, but the season did get turned around and we beat a 10 win Air Force team. Legas should have started the whole year. Similar to when he came in for Hillstead and the offense would become much better, had he been the guy all of 2022, we would have a very different view of that season.
I suppose that is true though we got plowed in that bowl game. I’m totally out on Blake after last season though.

That being said I hope we go undefeated and I get to eat a steaming pile of deep fried vulture.
Are you implying eating a steaming pile of deep fried vulture isn't good?
Some of us have class my friend.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 17th, 2024, 4:09 pm

trevordude wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 3:28 pm
Man, don't know what to think. I like Legas, he's been a B QB for us and good enough to seriously compete.

Hillstead showed some good things, glad he was there for depth and development.

Bringing in Petras, he seemed like a good guy to have on the room.

So is Petras really outclassing Legas and Hillstead? If so, I'm excited to win more games.

Or did the two guys move on because they felt Petras was being given undeserved favorable treatment?
Petras has been way better than I anticipated.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
trevordude3rdGenAggie

SLB

Post by SLB » April 17th, 2024, 4:15 pm

Every week will be BA saying that overcoming the loss of 3 quarterbacks makes it hard to win.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 5):
Hoottrevordude3rdGenAggieAggiePharmAggieBlues

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 17th, 2024, 4:22 pm

SLB wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 4:15 pm
Every week will be BA saying that overcoming the loss of 3 quarterbacks makes it hard to win.
After Petras goes 11/26 for 120 and 2 picks.

“He’s only been in the system a few months. It’s hard when you don’t have an experienced guy coming back.”
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 3):
SLBtrevordudeSwaggieAggie

SLB

Post by SLB » April 17th, 2024, 4:25 pm

Hoot wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 4:22 pm
SLB wrote:
After Petras goes 11/26 for 120 and 2 picks.

“He’s only been in the system a few months. It’s hard when you don’t have an experienced guy coming back.”
We know exactly what BA will say and do before every game because his pattern has been the same (pre-game excuses).

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 17th, 2024, 4:48 pm

SLB wrote:
I'm a BA supporter, but this is true. Haha.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 17th, 2024, 5:04 pm

At this pace I expect we'll see Petras enter the portal by Friday or so? :disappointed:
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
trevordude3rdGenAggie

SLB

Post by SLB » April 17th, 2024, 5:07 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 4:48 pm
SLB wrote:
I'm a BA supporter, but this is true. Haha.
My take on BA is that he went through too many tragic events to do the job. We should retire him from football and put at admin spot that helps young adults with mental health.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 17th, 2024, 5:37 pm

Donman wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 2:47 pm
Aggie702 wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 2:45 pm
Donman wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 2:34 pm
We wonder why coaches aren't loyal. Guy won us our first MWC Title and after two bowl eligible seasons we want him out the door.
How long does he get to skate by on the MWC title? I'm not saying fire him, but I'd love to know if these players are solely leaving for more money (not much you can do about that), or to get away from BA? If to get away from BA, then that's not great for program and a serious issue that needs to be addressed. Especially when we've regressed both years post MWC title.
This is an issue across all of college athletics. I get the impression Legas left because he realized he was going to be second string and didn't want to sit his senior year. If reports we are all hearing are true.
I would be more upset if there have not been reports that Petras has excelled in spring camp. Hillstead getting the nod over Cooper is one thing but from many reports on here that have attended practice including our loyal and truthful insider Aggies22 has also mentioned that Petras seemed to be performing better in spring camp. I love Cooper he is one of my favorite Aggies and I wish him well. Hopefully Petras can stay healthy and perform as well as the reports have made it sound going into the season.
Last edited by Aggie84025 on April 17th, 2024, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » April 17th, 2024, 5:45 pm

In the game today, you better plan on having your 2nd and maybe 3rd string QB ready to play significant minutes. That is just the nature of the game today.

Perhaps in today's game, it is as much a curse as a blessing to be named QB1.

Kids are never gonna see it this way though. In their minds they just all see themselves passing for 3000 yards with zero interceptions

inconspicuous

Post by inconspicuous » April 17th, 2024, 6:02 pm

RogerAndersen wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 5:45 pm
Kids are never gonna see it this way though. In their minds they just all see themselves passing for 3000 yards with zero interceptions

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » April 17th, 2024, 6:13 pm

Maybe Legas is leaving because his prescription pill dealer was arrested? https://www.fox13now.com/news/crime/rap ... -activityb

Not sent from Tapatalk

AGGIEinIOWA

Legas…gone

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 17th, 2024, 6:31 pm

Too many people on here speaking out of both sides of their mouth. Upset that we are mediocre, so coach goes out and tries to upgrade at the positions he feels will impact performance the most, then folks complain that he is mismanaging the QB room when one of them gets beat out and wants to transfer. I would have loved for Legas and Hillstead to have stayed and been loyal soldiers and been patient enough to wait for their opportunity, but they didn’t, and this issue is happening everywhere.

Hopefully Petras stays healthy and can take our offense to the next level.
Last edited by AGGIEinIOWA on April 17th, 2024, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 6):
HarcherGameFAQSAggieAggie84025vegasaggieStanfordAggieAggiefan160

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » April 17th, 2024, 6:33 pm

trevordude wrote:Maybe Legas is leaving because his prescription pill dealer was arrested? https://www.fox13now.com/news/crime/rap ... -activityb
Fake news!!! NBA Youngboy was going to join the LDS church. Drugs are against the WOW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
trevordude

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 17th, 2024, 6:50 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 6:31 pm
Too many people on here speaking out of both sides of their mouth. Upset that we are mediocre, so coach goes out and tries to upgrade at the positions he feels will impact performance the most, then folks complain that he is mismanaging the QB room when one of them gets beat out and wants to transfer. I would have loved for Legas and Hillstead to have stayed and been loyal soldiers and been patient enough to wait for their opportunity, but they didn’t, and this issue is happening everywhere.

I feel like we needed to upgrade on the o line more than quarterback.

AGGIEinIOWA

Legas…gone

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 17th, 2024, 7:08 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

I feel like we needed to upgrade on the o line more than quarterback.
Yes that is true too, and he did bring in a handful of OL transfers too. Hopefully he can get another one or two before the season. I felt like the staff tried to upgrade or build depth across the board at every position.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 17th, 2024, 7:19 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

What would you have us do? Speak only out of one side of our mouths like that alien pretending to be a man in Men in Black?

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » April 17th, 2024, 7:27 pm

What coach does this? You have a senior starting quarterback with great stats and has also been loyal to your program and you bring in a quarterback to replace him. I wonder how the this will affect the chemistry of the team now that one of their favorite teammates is leaving? Thanks BA! :bangwall: :bangwall:

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » April 17th, 2024, 7:30 pm

Did Coop do a run it back tweet?

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 17th, 2024, 7:41 pm

blueaggie wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 7:27 pm
What coach does this? You have a senior starting quarterback with great stats and has also been loyal to your program and you bring in two quarterbacks to replace him. I wonder how the this will affect the chemistry of the team now that one of their favorite teammates is leaving? Thanks BA! :bangwall: :bangwall:
FIFY
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 17th, 2024, 7:45 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 7:30 pm
Did Coop do a run it back tweet?

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 17th, 2024, 7:50 pm

BA had to protect himself in case Coop or Hillstead’s injuries from last year lingered, or if either one were to chase NIL money and enter the portal. So he was smart and did his homework and found a guy with experience, had the tools for his offense, and who was ok not be guaranteed the starting spot. Nice insurance policy for BA and the team. Well ends up Petras is showing out better than expected and challenging the incumbent and the incumbent was seeing his starting spot slip away…..and left. I’m not going to be mad at BA for that. I would have been made had BA not gotten a qb insurance policy and then Legas can’t play because of a bad shoulder, enters the portal, etc.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 3):
trevordudeSection_L_Aggievegasaggie

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 17th, 2024, 8:08 pm

blueaggie wrote:
What coach does this? You have a senior starting quarterback with great stats and has also been loyal to your program and you bring in a quarterback to replace him. I wonder how the this will affect the chemistry of the team now that one of their favorite teammates is leaving? Thanks BA! :bangwall: :bangwall:
Every coach. If you can add depth and upgrade talent. You do it. Coop came into spring #1, his job to lose. Coop isn't Jordan Love.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 17th, 2024, 8:11 pm

Is it too late to get Levi out of the SEALs?
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
trevordude

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 17th, 2024, 9:16 pm

Alright, I’ve let the dust settle a bit.

Cooper is an adequate starter and it is sort of a bummer to see him go. A bigger loss than Hillstead for sure. I appreciate him getting us to bowl games the last two seasons.

But we weren’t a very good football team the past two seasons, and it’s therefore hard for me to get too worked up about losing ANY players that aren’t Jalen Royals or Ike Larsen.

:noidea:

The portal is a two way street, and there’s a good chance we replace guys like Legas and Fitzgerald with comparable dudes and/or dudes that better fit the team’s timeline.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
EngineeringAggievegasaggie

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » April 17th, 2024, 9:20 pm

TrueAG wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 8:08 pm
blueaggie wrote:
Every coach. If you can add depth and upgrade talent. You do it. Coop came into spring #1, his job to lose. Coop isn't Jordan Love.
And look what we have now. Two QBs that have never played a down at USU. How’s that for depth? I wonder how many players stayed at Utah State because Cooper announced he was coming back. Yes bring in a quarterback, but Cooper Legas is the number one QB until he doesn’t produce during the season. What happened the last time we brought in a QB to replace a starter.

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » April 17th, 2024, 9:28 pm

blueaggie wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 9:20 pm
TrueAG wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
And look what we have now. Two QBs that have never played a down at USU. How’s that for depth? I wonder how many players stayed at Utah State because Cooper announced he was coming back. Yes bring in a quarterback, but Cooper Legas is the number one QB until he doesn’t produce during the season. What happened the last time we brought in a QB to replace a starter.
No Cooper is NOT number one QB until he doesn’t produce in the regular season, That’s exactly what we CANT DO. Because Bonner got that treatment and it backfired tremendously and he’s 10x the quarterback that legas is/was.

A depth chart should have no preconceived notions or bias or anything other than the performance thus far in spring, then into fall. This season. That’s it. To quote Mike Leach “last year was just that, it’s last (I can't express myself without swearing) year”

To be clear, you’re saying If he wasn’t the best quarterback all spring and fall, he should’ve been given the role regardless. You bring up “the last time we brought in a qb to replace a starter” but what about the last time this staff had a presumed starter.
These users thanked the author bigblue32 for the post:
Aggie84025

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 17th, 2024, 9:31 pm

blueaggie wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
So we do nothing and Hillstead transfers because he isn't starting and then Coop gets hurt. Then what? Coaches job is to bring in talent. If guys can't compete then they can leave.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
Aggie84025

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 17th, 2024, 9:33 pm

bigblue32 wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 9:28 pm
blueaggie wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
No Cooper is NOT number one QB until he doesn’t produce in the regular season, That’s exactly what we CANT DO. Because Bonner got that treatment and it backfired tremendously and he’s 10x the quarterback that legas is/was.

A depth chart should have no preconceived notions or bias or anything other than the performance thus far in spring, then into fall. This season. That’s it. To quote Mike Leach “last year was just that, it’s last (I can't express myself without swearing) year”

To be clear, you’re saying If he wasn’t the best quarterback all spring and fall, he should’ve been given the role regardless. You bring up “the last time we brought in a qb to replace a starter” but what about the last time this staff had a presumed starter.
Not to mention Legas has had some major health issues. Not bringing in a competent talent would be malpractice.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 17th, 2024, 9:57 pm

TrueAG wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 9:33 pm
bigblue32 wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 9:28 pm
blueaggie wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
blueaggie wrote:

Not to mention Legas has had some major health issues. Not bringing in a competent talent would be malpractice.
Yeah the concussion thing was a liability. Just no way Blake couldn’t bring in some serious competition for the spot.

#hornsup!

cval

Post by cval » April 17th, 2024, 10:20 pm

Good backup QB’s are extinct. If they are good enough they will look for a starting gig.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
GameFAQSAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 17th, 2024, 10:37 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 7:50 pm
BA had to protect himself in case Coop or Hillstead’s injuries from last year lingered, or if either one were to chase NIL money and enter the portal. So he was smart and did his homework and found a guy with experience, had the tools for his offense, and who was ok not be guaranteed the starting spot. Nice insurance policy for BA and the team. Well ends up Petras is showing out better than expected and challenging the incumbent and the incumbent was seeing his starting spot slip away…..and left. I’m not going to be mad at BA for that. I would have been made had BA not gotten a qb insurance policy and then Legas can’t play because of a bad shoulder, enters the portal, etc.
Exactly, if Legas and Hillstead get injured like Cooper has every year and Hillstead was last year. Blake brings in a guy who has a lot of experience for more competition and by all reports has been challenging if not beating out Cooper this spring and people are pissed because Petra's has played well. I love Cooper and wanted him to stay but I'm not going to get mad at Blake for bringing in competition.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
vegasaggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 17th, 2024, 10:39 pm

blueaggie wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
Then go out in spring ball and beat out Petras. There have been multiple reports from lots of posters that said Spencer has been playing really really well and if not better than Cooper this spring. How is that a problem with Blake.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic