One easily forgotten QB move BA made that turned out to be good

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

One easily forgotten QB move BA made that turned out to be good

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 18th, 2024, 10:36 am

I didn't like his loyalty to Bonner in 2022 any more than the rest of you, but we do have do admit that there was one move he made that was contrary to what alot of us thought he should have done, and it did turn out to be the right call.

There was this 4 star quarterback who was highly rated at Washington before leaving Washington. Alot of us would have been surprised THAT kid would have been interested in coming here, and that he wanted to come here, and that Blake NEEDED to go after him. Well, Blake made a call to pass on him and we questioned him. BUT that turned out to be the right call, as that kid would go to Central Michigan and end up getting benched there and then transferring to Northern Colorado and eventually wasn't even good enough to start there.

Blake did tell us at a signing party that his job was to make everyone's job harder, and that he anticipated kids would slide down the depth chart and leave out of necessity to play somewhere else, and I will admit that Legas being overtaken wasn't the first thing that came to mind, and that it was more the linemen and defenders that I was hoping would get overtaken. It does at least look like some of the new defenders are claiming starting spots. And if Petras is better, Petras is better. I do hope it's Iowa's system that was to blame for him not doing better there.

While it was concerning to bring in ANOTHER Utah quarterback reject after what happened the last time we did, I don't think that can be blamed for Legas leaving as Legas was ahead of him on the depth chart.

And it came up in another thread being upset at Blake for getting smacked by Georgia State and their 3rd string running back, but that problem was addressed by Blake making a decision everything pointed towards him NOT wanting to make and likely being forced into making, firing his longtime friend DC.

AggieUprising50

Re: One easily forgotten QB move BA made that turned out to be good

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 18th, 2024, 11:16 am

I agree with this. I feel bad for Coop, but if Petras is better, than Petras is better. Blake's job is to put the best team out on the field as he can, and he seems to be doing that this year.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 18th, 2024, 11:45 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 10:36 am
I didn't like his loyalty to Bonner in 2022 any more than the rest of you, but we do have do admit that there was one move he made that was contrary to what alot of us thought he should have done, and it did turn out to be the right call.

There was this 4 star quarterback who was highly rated at Washington before leaving Washington. Alot of us would have been surprised THAT kid would have been interested in coming here, and that he wanted to come here, and that Blake NEEDED to go after him. Well, Blake made a call to pass on him and we questioned him. BUT that turned out to be the right call, as that kid would go to Central Michigan and end up getting benched there and then transferring to Northern Colorado and eventually wasn't even good enough to start there.

Blake did tell us at a signing party that his job was to make everyone's job harder, and that he anticipated kids would slide down the depth chart and leave out of necessity to play somewhere else, and I will admit that Legas being overtaken wasn't the first thing that came to mind, and that it was more the linemen and defenders that I was hoping would get overtaken. It does at least look like some of the new defenders are claiming starting spots. And if Petras is better, Petras is better. I do hope it's Iowa's system that was to blame for him not doing better there.

While it was concerning to bring in ANOTHER Utah quarterback reject after what happened the last time we did, I don't think that can be blamed for Legas leaving as Legas was ahead of him on the depth chart.

And it came up in another thread being upset at Blake for getting smacked by Georgia State and their 3rd string running back, but that problem was addressed by Blake making a decision everything pointed towards him NOT wanting to make and likely being forced into making, firing his longtime friend DC.
Through experience, I've learned that these rankings—unless it's a 5-star, and even then, that might be questionable—are based more on money than talent. Rivals, 24-7, Ryzer, Prepstar, you name it, are all money-making rackets. What's the difference between a 3-star and a 4-star recruit you might ask? Oh... about $4K (the cost to upgrade from the Bronze Package to the Platinum Package). :stirpot:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » April 18th, 2024, 11:52 am

The Dennehy and Guy coaching eras were a different era with many different dynamics than today's transfer portal and social media palooza. Not to mention, some Utah State Football teams that just were not very good.

I do I fondly recall both Coach Dennehy and Coach Guy actually stepping up and owning some bad coaching decisions when things didn't exactly turn out swimmingly.

In fairness, I really do not recall many times when Al probed Mick or Brent to the point of obvious frustration.

Realistically, in those days, there was plenty to grumble about. To his credit, the Big Silk was famous for throwing a fair number of "softballs".

Whether, in retrospect, the coach's decisions seemed to be "absolutely spot-on" or "complete blunders", the official Aggie broadcast has historically been pretty vanilla and quite tame and friendly towards the Utah State coaches.

In the current broadcast, IMHO, Scott Gerard does a nice job of covering the Aggies and I am grateful for the work he puts in before, during, and after Utah State sporting events. He seems quite straightforward and realistic in his radio broadcasts.

And, if he observes good or bad coaching/play/effort, he is not afraid to talk about it.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 18th, 2024, 12:04 pm

The problem with being a QB is that there is only 1 of them on the field at a time, and ideally there should only be 1 that ever plays all season outside of garbage time.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
Imakeitrain

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 18th, 2024, 12:23 pm

In 2020 Gary made a QB decision that turned out to be a disaster. I'm hopeful this won't be. Ultimately the on field results will decide if this was a good or bad move. I'm a Legas fan, but if Petras kills it next year, than it is what it is. QB depth is going to be a very difficult thing to ever have with the new rules. QBs that get beat out are going to move.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 18th, 2024, 1:47 pm

You really think BA made the decision to pass on the highly touted transfer because he foresaw he wasn't good enough?? You're out of your mind. He did it because he LOVED Bonner and did everything to protect his fragile ego. Stupid post 😵💫

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic