Davon Booth to Transfer

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Re: Davon Booth to Transfer

Post by bigblue32 » April 18th, 2024, 6:40 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 5:27 pm
bigblue32 wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 2:14 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 2:10 pm
Just makes appreciate even more players like Kotsanlee, Jacob Garcia, Otto Tia and lot of others that have been with the team for several years and are proud to don the Aggie uniform and stay true to USU.
I mean I agree but I have a hard time thinking any player on our team is still in Aggie blue when offered 150k and a truck. :/ sucks but just being realistic. 90 miles south isn’t terribly far to stay in touch with friends and gf’s etc and they now have real money.
150k and a truck is real money? I honestly can't believe they can be had for so little.
If it’s not real money I’d love to know how large your donations to the collective are. 😧

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » April 18th, 2024, 6:43 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 6:01 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 1:55 pm
I just don't see a reason to keep putting resources into football in this new paradigm. It sucks.
Exactly. At what point do the smaller schools just drop school-sponsored sports all together? What is the point of trying to compete on a national level when you have no chance to keep up with the big schools financially and you lose your best talent ever year? It is a waste of money. They should just get together and establish regional, non-scholarship club teams to offer extra-curricular athletics opportunities to students and be done with it. It is insanity to invest the kind of money needed to field a varsity sports teams in today's environment.
The best thing would be to let those forty or fifty schools, P4 or P5's such as Utah, Ohio State, Alabama, etc., or whatever we are calling them now, do their thing as minor league, professional sports with a university affiliation while the other 100 schools - G6, or whatever we are calling them - USU, James Madison, UNR, etc,, or so, break off and do the quasi-professional sports where players are offered a scholarship, one transfer per four years/five years, with NIL money being tied to Name Image and Likeness and not doled out through a slush fund.

Next, the G6 league doesn't play the P4 league. Ever. Let the P4 league play each other over and over again like a summer softball league where the same six teams play each other five times over a three-month season.

Finally, the players who signed to play for the P4 schools aren't allowed to transfer and play for the G6 schools. Sure, they can transfer and attend college but they would be athletically ineligible.

G6, or whatever we call it, actually has a lot of leverage here. P4 schools lose their tune up games and there is only so much space on the depth chart so it doesn't matter how big the NIL bucket is because eventually the player wants to see the field and not be the third string RB.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
aggies22newtonianblue

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » April 18th, 2024, 6:47 pm

Hoot wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 6:35 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 6:30 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 3:53 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 1:52 pm
Blake Anderson isn't the problem. The collective isn't the problem. Booth got poached. Fitzgerald got poached. We cannot keep up with the offers that are flowing in from P4 schools. This is an unsustainable model for MOST G5 schools, their donors, and their fan bases.
Spot on. College athletics is a free for all, professional endeavor now. No rules, pay to play, pillage whomever from whereever. I feel for Blake and all "poor" programs. Heck, even the rich are wearing out...Nick Saban, for example. It just sucks.
Nick Saban basically said he quit because of NIL and unlimited transfers.
The Green Bay Packers new DC said he left his job as a college head coach due to NIL too.
Saban said it was an endless string of conversations with players who demanded more money and playing time and not about coaching players and guiding young men.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 18th, 2024, 7:07 pm

Hoot wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 3:24 pm
TrueAG wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 3:18 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 3:17 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 3:00 pm
Jordan Love saved Wells’ career.

It really comes down to people have unrealistic expectations of a good but not top tier G5 program.

We aren’t P4. We don’t have the money. We don’t have the fans. Football isn’t a way of life in Utah like it is in the southern region of the country.

We have an incredible school. The quality of education USU provides is as good as any public university. I attended a much more well regarded school for grad school along with people that went to some of the best undergrad schools in the country.

Where we are weak is that we don’t have a great network and a struggle is we have a lot of people marrying young (even during school). This doesnt build enough alumni committed to the school with money laying around over several generations to build a winning tradition. We also don’t have the fans that never attended USU like much of the big 12 or SEC.

I love USU but we can’t keep trying to do less with more and expect to compete. But that mentality permeates throughout the University, not just sports.

We have to focus on building the USU brand (which is supposedly the upside of Cantwell) in the classroom, in the boardroom and on the field.

If not accept that we are G5 and will just be a little train that could.
Isn't it a coach's job to go out and recruit good players? How did Jordan Love save Matt? Did anyone think he would end up being a first-round pick? Not likely. But a quarterback is recruited to learn the offense and eventually become a starter.
A good QB makes or breaks every coach.
Imagine the powerhouse Brent Guy would’ve built if it weren’t for Leon Jackson!
I loved watching Leon play. Miss that guy

#hornsup!

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 18th, 2024, 7:19 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
I just don't see a reason to keep putting resources into football in this new paradigm. It sucks.
Exactly. At what point do the smaller schools just drop school-sponsored sports all together? What is the point of trying to compete on a national level when you have no chance to keep up with the big schools financially and you lose your best talent ever year? It is a waste of money. They should just get together and establish regional, non-scholarship club teams to offer extra-curricular athletics opportunities to students and be done with it. It is insanity to invest the kind of money needed to field a varsity sports teams in today's environment.
[/quote
I mean how is basketball different... It's hard to see why we put money into this NCAA debacle in Football or Basketball better off betting it all on 7. It's got to be fixed. I mean I've been dropping coin but geez this system is broken. The big boys don't think it will hurt them BUT if money is what it's all about won't TV lose out as they lose half the market as the smaller programs dry up? Do they expect a fan who watched their program get wrecked to be excited to watch the people who wrecked it? No way that happens TV is going to lose money so something is going to change because people want their coin. The unlimited transfer thing has to go and if they take NIL money there has to be a contract and buyout terms etc. Also, I'd like to see the portal only be available once a year.

#hornsup!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 18th, 2024, 11:29 pm

How is basketball different?

Well, we’re buying a roster of 13 players rather 85 or so. It’s a matter of scale. It’s also a matter of value. The ROI on NIL investment in basketball is just gonna be a lot better. We can win tourney games and compete with P5s in basketball. In football we’ll always be fighting to win 6 games to earn a spot in the Who Gives a (I can't express myself without swearing) Bowl against a MAC/Sun Belt school. So fun!

We should dump football. Get on the horn with MW programs that are good at basketball that likely are in the same boat in football (UNR and UNM come to mind) and let’s all join the WCC. Every NIL dollar sent to football hurts our basketball program. We CAN compete in this environment in basketball. We cannot compete in this environment in football.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 18th, 2024, 11:45 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 6:43 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
The best thing would be to let those forty or fifty schools, P4 or P5's such as Utah, Ohio State, Alabama, etc., or whatever we are calling them now, do their thing as minor league, professional sports with a university affiliation while the other 100 schools - G6, or whatever we are calling them - USU, James Madison, UNR, etc,, or so, break off and do the quasi-professional sports where players are offered a scholarship, one transfer per four years/five years, with NIL money being tied to Name Image and Likeness and not doled out through a slush fund.

Next, the G6 league doesn't play the P4 league. Ever. Let the P4 league play each other over and over again like a summer softball league where the same six teams play each other five times over a three-month season.

Finally, the players who signed to play for the P4 schools aren't allowed to transfer and play for the G6 schools. Sure, they can transfer and attend college but they would be athletically ineligible.

G6, or whatever we call it, actually has a lot of leverage here. P4 schools lose their tune up games and there is only so much space on the depth chart so it doesn't matter how big the NIL bucket is because eventually the player wants to see the field and not be the third string RB.
If given the choice between dropping to the new FCS and not having a football program, I’d rather just not invest in a football program. Why would this G6 league be interesting to anyone?

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 19th, 2024, 4:55 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 2:40 pm
hickaggie wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 2:22 pm
SLB wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 2:18 pm
hickaggie wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 2:14 pm
SLB wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 1:58 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 1:56 pm
SLB wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 1:46 pm
People are coming with NIL excuses for BA. This is a BA problem. We have not been a winning team since 2021. At this point, we are trying to time BA and his buyout on when to hire the next coach.
When losing, recruits are more willing to leave.
Everybody ragged on Matt Wells for having very similar results as Coach Anderson has had. The only coach that inexplicably gets a pass for poor results has been Gary Andersen.
Wells did much better than BA. BA was the one-year wonder.
I think we are being a bit harsh with BA. Wells went through the same issues until he was forced to hire a real OC. The offense was good enough to compete for the MW and is going to be really good this year. If the new DC even gets the Aggies in the top 90 in D they are going to have a good year.
I have my doubts.
The last road win against above .500 team was the LA bowl.
The last home win against above .500 team was against Air Force in the early-mid 2022 season.
Yes, but most of that was due to a horrible DC hiring. I think he made a good hire this time. Are we gonna be BSU or SDSU with Blake? Of course not, but I think he can consistently put up seasons in the 6-9 win range which is about as much as can be asked at this point.
I think those are fair expectations. 6 wins a year is my minimum expectations for a coach at USU given the resources available. Blake has met those, am i happy with all the QB controversy or losing to Weber at home, certainly not that sucks, but as a whole Blake is meeting my expectations although I certainly hope for better success.
Did you watch the bowl game? Last year did not even come close to meeting my expectations. That bowl game was just as bad as the Weber State experience.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 3):
NEAggieUSU78SLB

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » April 19th, 2024, 5:44 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 11:29 pm
How is basketball different?

Well, we’re buying a roster of 13 players rather 85 or so. It’s a matter of scale. It’s also a matter of value. The ROI on NIL investment in basketball is just gonna be a lot better. We can win tourney games and compete with P5s in basketball. In football we’ll always be fighting to win 6 games to earn a spot in the Who Gives a (I can't express myself without swearing) Bowl against a MAC/Sun Belt school. So fun!

We should dump football. Get on the horn with MW programs that are good at basketball that likely are in the same boat in football (UNR and UNM come to mind) and let’s all join the WCC. Every NIL dollar sent to football hurts our basketball program. We CAN compete in this environment in basketball. We cannot compete in this environment in football.

I’m okay keeping the team as long as the TV money keeps coming in. If this trend keeps happening, imagine we have one more good TV contract. Our ratings over this next one are going to be so bad that the following one will be too low and that’s when it wont make sense to have the team.

But right now we should be the investing bare minimum into the program. And routing everything else to
Basketball.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » April 19th, 2024, 6:18 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 11:45 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

If given the choice between dropping to the new FCS and not having a football program, I’d rather just not invest in a football program. Why would this G6 league be interesting to anyone?
It would interesting for the same reasons college football has been interesting for the past century; where students, alumni and fans root for their school and are able to identify with the student-athletes representing their school.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » April 19th, 2024, 6:52 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 6:18 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

It would interesting for the same reasons college football has been interesting for the past century; where students, alumni and fans root for their school and are able to identify with the student-athletes representing their school.
I quite like this idea, although you still couldn't restrict your players from taking big money from the P4 schools - how would you enforce your one-transfer rule? Your P4s and G6s are still subject to the same laws and precedents, unless the G6s unionized their players and made one-transfer part of a collective bargaining agreement. Or maybe made the 4-year NLI/scholarship agreement a binding contract with individual players (but then you're stuck with underperformers, which is why I don't begrudge good players the right to move on for a better deal (though I hate it in application). Sauce for the goose, etc.).

But I'm going to be an Aggie fan whatever level we play at. We are never ever going win a CFP/NCAA championship in football or men's basketball under the new rules, the old rules, or no rules at all, so why lament they passing of that structure? All I want is to find the right level of competition under whatever rules/laws/precedents are imposed on us, and excel at that level.

Nobody here knows anything.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » April 19th, 2024, 7:01 am

OKAggie wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 6:52 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 6:18 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I quite like this idea, although you still couldn't restrict your players from taking big money from the P4 schools - how would you enforce your one-transfer rule? Your P4s and G6s are still subject to the same laws and precedents, unless the G6s unionized their players and made one-transfer part of a collective bargaining agreement. Or maybe made the 4-year NLI/scholarship agreement a binding contract with individual players (but then you're stuck with underperformers, which is why I don't begrudge good players the right to move on for a better deal (though I hate it in application). Sauce for the goose, etc.).

But I'm going to be an Aggie fan whatever level we play at. We are never ever going win a CFP/NCAA championship in football or men's basketball under the new rules, the old rules, or no rules at all, so why lament they passing of that structure? All I want is to find the right level of competition under whatever rules/laws/precedents are imposed on us, and excel at that level.
The 100 + schools would form a league and submit to a governing body to enforce the rules, such as the one-time transfer with an exception made for when a coach leaves. The transfer could also be adjusted where multiple transfers are allowed, but losing a year of eligibility and sitting out for a season would be required. NIL would be enforced to reflect what it was intended to be in the first place with the only money coming from the school being in the form of scholarships. I.e., it would reflect what college athletics was intended to be.

Outside of ten or fifteen schools, no one has aspirations of winning a national championship. We've always known we are watching lesser skilled players than the NFL or NBA, but the identification with 'our' school and the unknown variables brought in play due to the lesser skilled athletes which also requires more creativity from coaches, has always made college sports highly entertaining. I for one, don't even pay attention to the NFL or NBA. I prefer college sports but am rapidly losing interest due to the current state.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
Harcher

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 19th, 2024, 8:55 am

BasketballAgg wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 3:07 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 2:39 pm
Hoot wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 2:29 pm
BasketballAgg wrote:
shoresy wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 2:05 pm
BasketballAgg wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 1:01 pm
I think the time for a new era is here. Blake Anderson is not the guy we want running our program in the new NIL era.
What would BasketballAgg know about Aggie Football?
I did use to be FootballAgg :noidea:
Shall we petition the mods to reinstate you as FootballAgg?
We need to. I am not going to take "basketballAg" seriously about football related issues. Of course if he becomes FootballAg again, his posts will be my bible on the football program.
Basketballagg by day FootballAgg by night.
“FootsketballAgg”

That’s it. That’s my contribution to this thread.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 19th, 2024, 8:59 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 8:55 am
BasketballAgg wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 3:07 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 2:39 pm
Hoot wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 2:29 pm
BasketballAgg wrote:
shoresy wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 2:05 pm
BasketballAgg wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 1:01 pm
I think the time for a new era is here. Blake Anderson is not the guy we want running our program in the new NIL era.
What would BasketballAgg know about Aggie Football?
I did use to be FootballAgg :noidea:
Shall we petition the mods to reinstate you as FootballAgg?
We need to. I am not going to take "basketballAg" seriously about football related issues. Of course if he becomes FootballAg again, his posts will be my bible on the football program.
Basketballagg by day FootballAgg by night.
“FootsketballAgg”

That’s it. That’s my contribution to this thread.
Might as well be “ChurchballAgg”
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » April 21st, 2024, 4:55 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 1:20 pm
Yeah this is a bubble and it’s going to burst.

Eventually smaller fan bases will stop giving money to collectives and the only schools paying players will be high end P5s.

Fans are going to stop watching and focusing on Pro Sports instead.

That’s my case. I’ve completely lost interest in the usu football team. Basketball is teetering on life support for me. If we’re bad this year and lose good players it’ll probably be dead for me too.

No point in donating to a collective if there aren’t contracts involved.
Then why comment if you have no interest? You obviously do and have the same frustrations most of us do. Unless you just like to read your own posts.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » April 21st, 2024, 4:59 pm

Agezzz wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 4:55 pm
Bullnamed_gus wrote:

Eventually smaller fan bases will stop giving money to collectives and the only schools paying players will be high end P5s.

That’s my case. I’ve completely lost interest in the usu football team. Basketball is teetering on life support for me. If we’re bad this year and lose good players it’ll probably be dead for me too.

Then why comment if you have no interest? You obviously do and have the same frustrations most of us do. Unless you just like to read your own posts.
because just having no interest isn't really fun. But broadcasting the lack of interest is VERY COOL
He said pretty much the same thing after the bowl loss

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 21st, 2024, 5:00 pm

Did anyone else see that there was a new post in this thread and assume it was the official announcement that Utah is his destination?
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
FromLItoLogan

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » April 22nd, 2024, 12:39 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 4:59 pm
Agezzz wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 4:55 pm
Bullnamed_gus wrote:

because just having no interest isn't really fun. But broadcasting the lack of interest is VERY COOL
He said pretty much the same thing after the bowl loss
I believe the exact phrasing was "Stopping donations, done caring"

He sure seems to care a lot for a guy who doesn't care. Or perhaps it's that he only cares about making sure we all know how little he cares. Not really sure.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
AGinNEIowa

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » April 25th, 2024, 12:03 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 7:01 am
OKAggie wrote:

The 100 + schools would form a league and submit to a governing body to enforce the rules, such as the one-time transfer with an exception made for when a coach leaves. The transfer could also be adjusted where multiple transfers are allowed, but losing a year of eligibility and sitting out for a season would be required. NIL would be enforced to reflect what it was intended to be in the first place with the only money coming from the school being in the form of scholarships. I.e., it would reflect what college athletics was intended to be.
This new organization sounds a lot like the NCAA, whose similar rules against NIL and multiple transfers have been been found illegal by courts up to and including SCOTUS; I imagine the requirement to sit a season after a transfer would suffer the same fate. The law of the land now is this: players have rights, including the right to transfer with limitation and to be paid whatever they can negotiate for their NIL, and the NCAA can't abridge them, nor could the neo-NCAA you describe. How would your suggestion get around that?

Nobody here knows anything.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » April 25th, 2024, 12:56 pm

OKAggie wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 12:03 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 7:01 am
OKAggie wrote:

This new organization sounds a lot like the NCAA, whose similar rules against NIL and multiple transfers have been been found illegal by courts up to and including SCOTUS; I imagine the requirement to sit a season after a transfer would suffer the same fate. The law of the land now is this: players have rights, including the right to transfer with limitation and to be paid whatever they can negotiate for their NIL, and the NCAA can't abridge them, nor could the neo-NCAA you describe. How would your suggestion get around that?
The 100+ schools involved would enter into the agreement and set up the structure legally. I think (and I could be wrong of course) the reason the NCAA has no teeth under the current system is because it has morphed, or evolved, past what the NCAA as a governing body, was intended to do. I think if the schools set up the parameters and said this is how we are going to structure our athletic programs, the legal basis would be valid. After all, there is no legal requirement for a university to have an athletic department, football, basketball or volleyball teams, etc. They should be able to set up a legal construct to support it for those schools that want to join.

bucky
Has thanked: 0

Post by bucky » April 28th, 2024, 3:35 pm

Have we seen where our last two running backs have signed?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 28th, 2024, 3:49 pm

bucky wrote:
April 28th, 2024, 3:35 pm
Booth has visited or has visits to Kansas State, Mississippi State, and Oklahoma State.

Faison turned down high interest from Washington.
Last edited by aggies22 on April 28th, 2024, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 28th, 2024, 6:21 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 28th, 2024, 3:49 pm
bucky wrote:
Booth has visited or has visits to Kansas State, Mississippi State, and Oklahoma State.

Faison has high interest from Washington.
I blame Danny Sprinkle.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 28th, 2024, 7:25 pm

Hoot wrote:
April 28th, 2024, 6:21 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 28th, 2024, 3:49 pm
bucky wrote:

Faison has high interest from Washington.
I blame Danny Sprinkle.
As you should.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 30th, 2024, 3:17 pm

Davon has committed to Mississippi State.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Aglicious

SLB

Post by SLB » April 30th, 2024, 3:25 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 30th, 2024, 3:17 pm
I could see getting picked in the NFL draft when everyone sees Booth with his NFL frame, power, and speed.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
aggies22

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 30th, 2024, 3:46 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 30th, 2024, 3:17 pm
I'm sorry, have you cleared this info.with Heard It First? :joking:
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 4):
aggies22HootFloridaAggie13jackattack

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic