Players Being Short Sighted

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Donman

Players Being Short Sighted

Post by Donman » April 22nd, 2024, 1:34 pm

With players all across the country entering the portal (both football and basketball). How long until boosters say enough. Players are going to get their pay day now, but I could see eventually boosters saying enough and deciding to invest their money elsewhere.

TrueAG

Re: Players Being Short Sighted

Post by TrueAG » April 22nd, 2024, 1:38 pm

Donman wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 1:34 pm
With players all across the country entering the portal (both football and basketball). How long until boosters say enough. Players are going to get their pay day now, but I could see eventually boosters saying enough and deciding to invest their money elsewhere.
I think it will go through cycles. Boosters will get excited and buy a team, then when it doesn't produce or the next year they get outbid, they will turn off the money.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post (total 2):
Section_L_Aggietrevordude

EngineeringAggie

Post by EngineeringAggie » April 22nd, 2024, 1:42 pm

Donman wrote:
I’ve said this from day 1. You don’t pay the players a single dollar until the day after the spring portal closes for good. You just dangle the carrot in front of their faces before then. Show them the exact dollar amount that is theirs if they stick around, but they don’t get it until it’s too late to leave.
These users thanked the author EngineeringAggie for the post (total 2):
ImakeitrainAggie84025

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » April 22nd, 2024, 1:54 pm

The real question is who is going to follow?

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » April 22nd, 2024, 2:19 pm

EngineeringAggie wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 1:42 pm
Donman wrote:
I’ve said this from day 1. You don’t pay the players a single dollar until the day after the spring portal closes for good. You just dangle the carrot in front of their faces before then. Show them the exact dollar amount that is theirs if they stick around, but they don’t get it until it’s too late to leave.
I'd actually change that to the first game of the season, and structure the contract so that it is pro rated if they leave mid season.

Aggies All the Way!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 22nd, 2024, 2:35 pm

Most who enter the portal never even make it out.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Fan4AggieballAZ

Post by Fan4AggieballAZ » April 22nd, 2024, 2:45 pm

Not all your “starters” are jumping ship; despite plenty of incentives/love/sugar to make that leap…You have a few (believe me; starters like Royals, Ike, Broc)…who choose to ride this out (make this season special) and be leaders out there and in the classroom and chose not to make the leap after this spring….even with plenty of legit P4 courting thrown their direction……which is a great example of commitment and follow-thru :)
These users thanked the author Fan4AggieballAZ for the post (total 13):
tetonaggieLarryTheAggieImakeitrainZaggie07AggieFBObsessionHootnewtonianblueHalloween-Aggiebigblue32Full and 3 more users

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » April 22nd, 2024, 2:46 pm

ViAggie wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 2:35 pm
This is what needs to be more known especially to the players who’ve got so many in their ear already…. Like it can end a playing career in some instances
These users thanked the author bigblue32 for the post:
ViAggie

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » April 22nd, 2024, 2:48 pm

Fan4AggieballAZ wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 2:45 pm
Not all your “starters” are jumping ship; despite plenty of incentives/love/sugar to make that leap…You have a few (believe me; starters like Royals, Ike, Broc)…who choose to ride this out (make this season special) and be leaders out there and in the classroom and chose not to make the leap after this spring….even with plenty of legit P4 courting thrown their direction……which is a great example of commitment and follow-thru :)
I can't even imagine the offers Royals has been getting. Dude has "SEC Speed" written all over him.
These users thanked the author FromLItoLogan for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 22nd, 2024, 2:54 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 2:19 pm
EngineeringAggie wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 1:42 pm
Donman wrote:
I'd actually change that to the first game of the season, and structure the contract so that it is pro rated if they leave mid season.
This is where I'm at too. I like the "roster bonus" idea from the other thread but you have to make that date close to the start of the season... sometime in August. At that point, rosters around the country are more set and the temptation to transfer is less and the open shopping for players will mostly be settled.

Then no payments from Dec 1 - May 1.

I give all of this 2-3 years before even the boosters of big brand schools grow tired of paying for players that never produce or take their money and run. There's only one champion. This is going to leave almost all fan bases with unhappy supporters when they realize their money didn't buy them the ultimate prize. Once that happens and/or if Universities are kept out of the loop and control over the funds it will all hit the fan.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
dirtnsnow

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 22nd, 2024, 3:06 pm

ViAggie wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 2:35 pm
Hunter Reynolds did a podcast saying as much. Ofc it depends on the reason for transferring. If a guy isn’t getting
playing time at USU there probably aren’t many FBS schools he can go and be a star at (depending on other factors like position too)
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
ViAggieFloridaAggie13

Fan4AggieballAZ

Post by Fan4AggieballAZ » April 22nd, 2024, 4:10 pm

FromLItoLogan wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 2:48 pm
Fan4AggieballAZ wrote:
I can't even imagine the offers Royals has been getting. Dude has "SEC Speed" written all over him.
For sure and yeps a few are getting quite a bit of “big dance typa’ invites”…

And those few are choosing to stay and ball with the new QB, their brothers and for BA…. And especially the fans!

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 22nd, 2024, 4:46 pm

Fan4AggieballAZ wrote:
A man who can get absurd offers and stay loyal can drink out of my canteen any day!
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025Fan4AggieballAZAngusAg

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 22nd, 2024, 5:01 pm

Fan4AggieballAZ wrote:
Thanks for your post. Makes me respect those even more. I still think the offense this year can be as good if not better than last year.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
Fan4AggieballAZSection_L_Aggie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic