Did Any Wichita State Players Play in the Spectrum?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Chatman

Did Any Wichita State Players Play in the Spectrum?

Post by Chatman » March 30th, 2013, 8:17 pm

Did any of the players on the Wichita State final 4 team play in the spectrum?

GUS

Re: Did Any Wichita State Players Play in the Spectrum?

Post by GUS » March 30th, 2013, 9:08 pm

And to think just 3 or 4 years ago USU was very competitive with them. The two teams seemed to go in different directions.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » March 30th, 2013, 9:15 pm

GUS wrote:And to think just 3 or 4 years ago USU was very competitive with them. The two teams seemed to go in different directions.
^this. Amazing how much both programs have gone in opposite directions in a mere three years. Wichita is in the Final Four, whereas USU struggled to finish 5th in a watered-down WAC and got swept by freaking UTA in the process. But to answer your question, Chatman, the only player I can find that went all the way back to that BB matchup is Demetric Williams, who had a key three-pointer in the 1st half today.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

lcrasmus

Post by lcrasmus » March 30th, 2013, 10:45 pm

I'm just gunna quit trying to reason here. Anyone else feel like making the "take 3 of the 5 starting shockers from their squad" argument?

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » March 31st, 2013, 6:57 am

Some Aggie fans are pessimistic and always will be. It use to be only directed at the football program. Not much us optimistic Aggie fans can do about it.

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Seldomseensmith
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Seldomseensmith » March 31st, 2013, 9:19 am

lcrasmus wrote:I'm just gunna quit trying to reason here. Anyone else feel like making the "take 3 of the 5 starting shockers from their squad" argument?
You can make that argument if you want, but fact is that even with our 3 back, we wouldn't have come close to making the final four. Reality is that the 2 programs have gone in different directions and that their top 3 are much better than our top three. Injuries don't change that one bit, unless you want to make the argument that we have the talent on this roster to make the final four.

One question is, why can Wichita State get JC players like Carl Hall and Cleanthony Early(Jean's team mate), and we can't?

Second question. Where will Greg Marshall be coaching next year?

lcrasmus

Post by lcrasmus » March 31st, 2013, 2:12 pm

GUS wrote:And to think just 3 or 4 years ago USU was very competitive with them. The two teams seemed to go in different directions.

Sooooooooo out of curiosity, what was the game like when we played them LAST YEAR?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 31st, 2013, 2:50 pm

lcrasmus wrote:

Sooooooooo out of curiosity, what was the game like when we played them LAST YEAR?
If I remember right, I think we were getting blown out at halftime but came back in the second half and made it somewhat competitive before losing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

lcrasmus

Post by lcrasmus » March 31st, 2013, 3:05 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
lcrasmus wrote:

If I remember right, I think we were getting blown out at halftime but came back in the second half and made it somewhat competitive before losing.

I'll look this up when I have access but I believe we tied the game with under 5 left. But ya. No way we've been competitive since 3 years ago.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 31st, 2013, 3:11 pm

We trailed by 21 at the half and ended up losing by 7. It doesn't look like we ever tied it up.

http://www.usufans.com/Stats/200

AggieAddict

Post by AggieAddict » March 31st, 2013, 3:18 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:We trailed by 21 at the half and ended up losing by 7. It doesn't look like we ever tied it up.

http://www.usufans.com/Stats/200

Three guys that didn't play on that team last year have been difference makers for them in the tournament. Cleanthony Early and their two freshman Ron Baker and Fred Van Vleet. Also it doesn't look like Malcom Armstead played in that game last year.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 31st, 2013, 4:49 pm

I wish people would quit acting like with Berger, Reed and Medlin this team is final four worthy.

Reed was a nice player but not in the top 30 in the last 10 years and Berger, while a nice guy and a great story should be a 7th man on a top MWC team, not a starter.

Medlin, yes.

Nobody is saying injuries didnt hurt the team and without the injuries we have a few more wins and we certainly don't lose to Arlington three times, but the talent has been lacking the last few years.

Having said that, it looks like Stew has stepped it up a little with Moore, McGlaston and Shanks. There are no guarantees though so let's have them actually play a couple games before we anoint them all Americans.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 1st, 2013, 6:03 am

I think talent is the big difference between the two teams. We lost the core of our team a few years ago and haven't been able to replace that talent. They lost nearly all of their starters a year or so ago and brought in better talent. If anything, we are seeing that it isn't impossible to reload quickly if you can find and acquire good talent. It is a good argument against our recruiting the past several years.

diehardaggiefan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by diehardaggiefan » April 1st, 2013, 7:06 pm

2004AG wrote:I wish people would quit acting like with Berger, Reed and Medlin this team is final four worthy.

Reed was a nice player but not in the top 30 in the last 10 years and Berger, while a nice guy and a great story should be a 7th man on a top MWC team, not a starter.

Medlin, yes.

Nobody is saying injuries didnt hurt the team and without the injuries we have a few more wins and we certainly don't lose to Arlington three times, but the talent has been lacking the last few years.

Having said that, it looks like Stew has stepped it up a little with Moore, McGlaston and Shanks. There are no guarantees though so let's have them actually play a couple games before we anoint them all Americans.
No Aggie fan has ever mentioned us and the final four in any capacity. I would say it was ridiculous that people were actually acting like we were better without those 3. They would have made a huge difference, and we likely make the ncaa tournament in a weak wac had we had them. Final Four? Obviously not, we are far away from that.

Logan, Utah; the site of the 2014 MW Championship game.

Locked Previous topicNext topic