Transfer Issue 40% is average

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieSox

Transfer Issue 40% is average

Post by AggieSox » April 3rd, 2014, 5:19 pm

After watching us go through this years issues so far, and looking at a lot of teams, who have done well this year, that have multiple transfers to there schools(Iowa State, UNLV, etc..). Trying to look at the enitre issue not just ours, makes me wonder if it has more to do with the Y generation & younger, those 36 & under. Is it:

1. They are all a bunch of pussies these days?
2. Mom & Dad, buy into the, my boy deserves better, when they call home crying?
3. They watch too much ESPN and think our team doesnt look like so & so, running around chucking 3's like crazy or whatever it is?
4. Or at 18 or 19, we are all so imature, we make our decisions based on wrong reasons? Homesick, girls, lack of fitting in?

This article was enlightening saying that it's a huge issue 40% of kids tranfer before Sophmore season ends, which is right when things should be getting good for them, or they have earned there stripes, etc... I think it is a combo of the reasons above.
But it is a bit sad, because most Bball & Football College kids get red carpet treatment & dont pay for much. Thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... fer-trends

VegasAggie71
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Transfer Issue 40% is average

Post by VegasAggie71 » April 3rd, 2014, 5:23 pm

This SI article from Jan 2014 also does a great job of detailing the current "transfer" culture:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... colonials/

Money Quote:

"So what's changed? Coaches point to a confluence of factors, from the impact of social media to the increasingly corrupt nature of high school recruiting to the sporadic enforcement of NCAA transfer rules. Players are more willing to leave schools as well. Low-major coaches privately admit that they'll sit their leading scorers at the end of games in an attempt to "hide their stats" and supposedly make them less likely to be poached.

From Facebook to Twitter, players are inundated with opinions and expectations. The result has been high-profile recruits fleeing situations when minutes and statistics don't come instantly. According to data compiled by SI.com's Luke Winn, the number of Top 100 players who transferred rose to 34.3 percent in the 2010 class from 26.5 percent in 2007. The best players need immediate gratification."

I think this is also something that our coaches need to be doing:

From his years of fishing around the transfer market, one of the biggest adjustments Brey said he's made in recent seasons is constantly monitoring his own roster. He said it's important for coaches to not complain about the current environment, but rather focus in on the players they have.

Brey constantly brings up the mental state of his current players in staff meetings, always probing his assistants for a pulse. From dealing with so many transfers, he knows what to look for.

Donman

Post by Donman » April 3rd, 2014, 5:26 pm

That's greater than the number we keep getting quoted of one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 3rd, 2014, 5:42 pm

Where'd you get the 40% number? The highest number I saw in the article is 34.

Seldomseensmith
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Seldomseensmith » April 3rd, 2014, 5:57 pm

During the course of this study (from 2007-on), the average annual rate of turnover in the Division I coaching ranks was 13.5 percent, which outpaces the average annual transfer rate for men's basketball players during the same stretch (10.8, according to the NCAA).

Isn't that the stat that's a concern to our program right now? The average annual transfer rate? 10.8%? That turns out to be what, 1.4 players transferring out per year, average for all D1 programs. Ours is right around 3 players transferring out early. The last few years closer to 4. Taking the 3, our annual transfer rate is 23.1%. Over twice the average. Check my math.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 3rd, 2014, 7:22 pm

USU Transfers Since '07
07-08: Brayden Bell, DeUndrae Spraggins, Desmond Stephens
08-09: Dominique Cooks, Deremy Geiger, Skyler Halford, Richard Sirju, Stavon Williams
09-10: Anthony DiLoreto, Modou Niang, Tyrone White
10-11: Leon Cooper Jr., James Walker III
11-12: Mitch Bruneel, Antonio Bumpus, E.J. Farris, Igor Premasunac, Steven Thornton, Adam Thoseby
12-13: Quincy Bair, Marvin Jean, Matt Lopez, Riley Bradshaw
13-14: Jordan Stone, Danny Berger, Kyle Davis, Carson Shanks, Marcel Davis

You can throw out Halford and Farris since they were walk-ons, even though they both technically transferred and received scholarships elsewhere.

Not counting those guys we have had 26 since '07 = 3.7 or 28.5%

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 3rd, 2014, 9:09 pm

07-08: 3 transfers, 4 graduates (i.e. seniors)
08-09: 5 transfers, 1 graduate (i.e. senior)
09-10: 3 transfers, 1 graduate (i.e. senior)
10-11: 2 transfers, 6 graduates (i.e. seniors)
11-12: 6 transfers, 4 graduates (i.e. seniors)
12-13: 4 transfers, 3 graduates (i.e. seniors)
13-14: 5 transfers, 5 graduates (i.e. seniors)

Totals: 28 transfers, 22 graduates (i.e. seniors)
Last edited by brownjeans on April 4th, 2014, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 3rd, 2014, 9:25 pm

brownjeans wrote:07-08: 3 transfers, 4 graduates (i.e. seniors)
13-14: 5 transfers, 4 graduates (i.e. seniors)

Totals: 28 transfers, 21 graduates (i.e. seniors)
Not sure on your math, help me out. 5-6 graduates and 3-4 transfers for this year.

Graduates - Shaw, Medlin, Harris, Butterfield, and Roland. And Stone is a graduate as well.

Transfers - K Davis, Berger, M Davis. Who else am I missing?

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Donman

Post by Donman » April 4th, 2014, 5:23 am

dyedblue wrote:
13-14: 5 transfers, 4 graduates (i.e. seniors)

Totals: 28 transfers, 21 graduates (i.e. seniors)
Not sure on your math, help me out. 5-6 graduates and 3-4 transfers for this year.

Graduates - Shaw, Medlin, Harris, Butterfield, and Roland. And Stone is a graduate as well.

Shanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 4th, 2014, 7:49 am

dyedblue wrote:
13-14: 5 transfers, 5 graduates (i.e. seniors)

Totals: 28 transfers, 22 graduates (i.e. seniors)

The initials i.e. means "that is" and then I put the word "seniors". Stone is a junior so I didn't count him. The point whether or not their eligibility expired with USU. Stone still has a year of eligibility, so he's not counted as a graduate, I counted him as a transfer, and Shanks transferred as well.
Harris' omission was an oversight.

We have more players transferring than we have seniors playing their last year of eligibility. If the story is saying that the average is 33.4% of all players transfer during the use of their eligibility. Well, we have more players transferring than players whose eligibility expires with USU.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 4th, 2014, 9:27 am

Looks like we are an above average team.

snoel

Post by snoel » April 4th, 2014, 10:32 am

I take issue with one conclusion in the article. He compared the transfer rate for "regular" students with student athletes and concluded they are same and therefore there is nothing to infer from it. However, it seems to me that one must consider the fact that most basketball players are on scholarship. Not only that, they were recruited and are part of a "family" and visible to the larger student body, alumni, fans, press, etc. With all of this, I imagine that there is greater expectation of loyalty and a social disincentive to transfer as compared with a regular student. Add to this the sanction of losing a year of eligibility with a transfer, and it seems to me that the fact that the student athlete transfer rate of 34% as compared to the regular student rate of 32% is actually quite astonishing, and, to me at least, quite high in comparison.

Locked Previous topicNext topic