Brandon Davies

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GreenAg

Brandon Davies

Post by GreenAg » December 9th, 2015, 11:56 am

Does anyone here feel bad about what our students did in "The Brandon Davies Game" from a few years ago?

Because I certainly don't. I thought the signs were hilarious and fitting, and they obviously had the intended impact: to get in the other team's head. BYU fans are so incredibly condescending and delusional that I just shake my head when I hear how insulted they were over all the signs, chants, etc. And, also, I'm still really angry that our AD issued an apology. I, for one, don't apologize, and if I ever meet anyone who made and held those signs, lunch is on me.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: Brandon Davies

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 9th, 2015, 12:18 pm

BYU fans were offended by a t-shirt with a pregnant silhouette that said "Where's Harvey?"
If you can get offended by that, then your skin is too freakin' thin I'm sorry.

Over the years I've found that Zoobs will find anything negative that is said about their beloved Cougs to be "classless" or "over the top" or "crude". There was never a reason to apologize and there still isn't.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » December 9th, 2015, 1:10 pm

I don't remember any specific signs, but I do remember thinking the apology from our AD was more damaging to us than any of the signs were to Davies or BYU.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 9th, 2015, 1:15 pm

I remember "Hey Brandon, I've had better!" Held up by a female student, and the "Keep your pants on", and "pull out" chants. All of which I thought were funny.

The apology was ridiculous. I hope we have moved on from that travesty.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Texasaggie1
Has thanked: 0

Post by Texasaggie1 » December 9th, 2015, 1:21 pm

It is the opposing teams classless, rude, over the top comments that force Y players to retaliate and sucker punch the opposing team. I wish all colleges could follow the example of the Y.

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » December 9th, 2015, 1:29 pm

I made and held up one of those signs at that game. Do I feel bad about it? No. Would I do it now that I'm older? Probably not, but I wouldn't be upset if current college kids did. It's a heated rivalry game and I felt like the students did a good job being clever without being overly crude about it. One of my favorite memories in the Spectrum.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

GreenAg

Post by GreenAg » December 9th, 2015, 1:36 pm

One of my favorite Spectrum memories, too, aggieguy, and I wasn't even there. And, I owe you lunch.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » December 9th, 2015, 2:34 pm

I was gonna say I felt bad for him... Then I saw this.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... dding.html

mehascrayon
Been thanked: 0

Post by mehascrayon » December 9th, 2015, 4:44 pm

I actually said way worse things to McKines and Dellevadova than I did Davies. But I mean, as a whole crowd, Davies got it pretty good. Some of my favorite signs from that game...

"Davies knows where the sagebrush grows."
"Davies touched my A"
"Kitten lick themselves."
"Things Davies would rather be doing:
A) Honor code violation
B) Cheating
C) Durfing
D) Crying
E) All of the above"

That, really, was my favorite game in the Spectrum in my 5 years at USU. Started camping out on Tuesday afternoon for the Friday night game. Way too much fun.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » December 9th, 2015, 5:01 pm

I attended the game and the sign I thought was the funniest was the one that said "Davies knows how to rise up"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

LKGates

Post by LKGates » December 9th, 2015, 5:16 pm

Choices have consequences. Davies chose to be in the limelight, being a D1 athlete. Just because he was 6'10", he didn't have to play basketball.

He chose to go to BYU. He didn't have to. If you chose to go to the Y, you know you're stuck with that stupid honor code.

He chose to violate the honor code.

From those pictures, it looks like he's happy. I don't think his evening in the DGSS ruined his life. Good for him. Stuff happens. Move on.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 11th, 2015, 10:59 am

LKGates wrote: From those pictures, it looks like he's happy. I don't think his evening in the DGSS ruined his life. Good for him. Stuff happens. Move on.
I'll bet he actually thought it was pretty funny. Seems like a cool guy.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 12th, 2015, 9:35 am

pilotaggie wrote:I don't remember any specific signs, but I do remember thinking the apology from our AD was more damaging to us than any of the signs were to Davies or BYU.

Goes to show that some Aggie fans have thinner skins than the zoobs. I don't remember the exact quotes on signs, but I do remember that some were crude and classless. I don't fault the AD or the Pres for the apology. It was class.

isrred
Pick'em Champ - '21 Kickoff

Post by isrred » December 12th, 2015, 9:49 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
pilotaggie wrote:I don't remember any specific signs, but I do remember thinking the apology from our AD was more damaging to us than any of the signs were to Davies or BYU.

Goes to show that some Aggie fans have thinner skins than the zoobs. I don't remember the exact quotes on signs, but I do remember that some were beyond human decency. I don't fault the AD or the Pres for the apology. It was class.
FTFY

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 12th, 2015, 10:09 am

isrred wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

Goes to show that some Aggie fans have thinner skins than the zoobs. I don't remember the exact quotes on signs, but I do remember that some were beyond human decency. I don't fault the AD or the Pres for the apology. It was class.
FTFY
I like your verbiage better.

tbadge

Post by tbadge » December 12th, 2015, 10:17 am

Since the question was asked about whether we should feel bad here's my thoughts: why does being in the public eye open people up for special/intense scrutiny in every aspect of their lives? Is it really all in good fun? Are players afforded any privacy in their lives and if not, why? What line shouldn't be crossed? Is it ok to taunt for an HC violation? What about mocking someone in a players family that's going through a hard time? Is that ok?

I get that BYU chose to publicly disclose his infraction and that's why I'm actually fine with their change to not publicly announce these issues.

Sports has gotten so crazy that it's now commonplace to attack or mock anything someone can dig up. It can be even worse if a player misses a play that costs their team a game that they become targets of even worse scorn.

I wasn't at the game but some of the signs did seem over the top. I doubt that this changes people's opinion of whether it should have been done or whether it was and still is funny. As a parent I wouldn't have thought that the signs and even any chant, based on the HC violation mistake he made and was punished for, that was directed at him would have been funny. I guess that makes me a prude :noidea:

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » December 12th, 2015, 10:18 am

I should also point out that I wasn't at the game so anything really offensive wouldn't have been broadcast. That will skew my memory of what actually happened.

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » December 12th, 2015, 10:53 am

IMO, Davies was fair game. Behavior issues are fair game like arrests, DUIs, etc.

Families should always be left alone as should medical issues including psychiatric.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 12th, 2015, 6:39 pm

I never really thought Brandon Davies cared that much about it..

Only BYU is offended by these chants.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 13th, 2015, 6:34 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:I never really thought Brandon Davies cared that much about it..

I don't think he did. I think he thought it was funny.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » December 13th, 2015, 7:03 pm

treesap32 wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:I never really thought Brandon Davies cared that much about it..

And you know this because ...?

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 13th, 2015, 7:04 pm

utaggies wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

I don't know it. I think it. That just seems like the kind of guy he is. Do you think he went home and cried himself to sleep over the "Keep your pants on" chant?

utaggies

Post by utaggies » December 13th, 2015, 7:23 pm

treesap32 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

I don't know it. I think it. That just seems like the kind of guy he is. Do you think he went home and cried himself to sleep over the "Keep your pants on" chant?
I have absolutely no idea if he thought the signs and chants were funny, embarrassing, or tasteless. I thought you may have had some inside info on the matter. That's why I asked.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 13th, 2015, 7:28 pm

utaggies wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

I have absolutely no idea if he thought the signs and chants were funny, embarrassing, or tasteless. I thought you may have had some inside info on the matter. That's why I asked.
No inside knowledge from me. I do know a guy who talks to Brandon fairly frequently and thinks he's a cool guy, thus my guess. I never cared enough to have him ask Brandon if he was offended about the chants and signs. I just assume he wasn't.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

kkalian311

Post by kkalian311 » December 14th, 2015, 7:10 pm

The events that happened after that game effected the crowd because the student leaders themselves were reprimanded.

I remember being pulled into the ADs and the presidents office after that. We had a lot of conversation on what the line was for crowd interaction. It was awkward.

I will say this though, at least the plot to throw condoms on the court at Davies was foiled and stopped before it happened. There were a lot of things that were taken down and it could have been a lot worse.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

isrred
Pick'em Champ - '21 Kickoff

Post by isrred » December 14th, 2015, 7:47 pm

kkalian311 wrote:The events that happened after that game effected the crowd because the student leaders themselves were reprimanded.

I remember being pulled into the ADs and the presidents office after that. We had a lot of conversation on what the line was for crowd interaction. It was awkward.

I will say this though, at least the plot to throw condoms on the court at Davies was foiled and stopped before it happened. There were a lot of things that were taken down and it could have been a lot worse.

Exactly this. The student leaders got their asses chewed out by multiple people--and for many things that were beyond their control. This was a big factor in the "protest" at the beginning of the Denver game.

Athletics marketing has sucked for years (I know that you, and other Athletics VPs tried your hardest to get this to improve). By far the biggest factors in student attendance in the past were 1) Winning but 2) was the student leaders spending a ton of time recruiting people to go to games and making it a "cool" fun thing to be doing. When the AD gave student leaders their lashing it took the wind out of a lot of their sails and the effort there dropped off significantly.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » December 15th, 2015, 4:41 pm

isrred wrote:
kkalian311 wrote:The events that happened after that game effected the crowd because the student leaders themselves were reprimanded.

Exactly this. The student leaders got their asses chewed out by multiple people--and for many things that were beyond their control. This was a big factor in the "protest" at the beginning of the Denver game.

Athletics marketing has sucked for years (I know that you, and other Athletics VPs tried your hardest to get this to improve). By far the biggest factors in student attendance in the past were 1) Winning but 2) was the student leaders spending a ton of time recruiting people to go to games and making it a "cool" fun thing to be doing. When the AD gave student leaders their lashing it took the wind out of a lot of their sails and the effort there dropped off significantly.
This is the first time I've heard about this, and this is very unfortunate. I always assumed that Albrecht issued the apology through gritted teeth and didn't mean anything that he said. I thought it was just to avoid giving all of the BYU alumni/supporters in the legislature an excuse to cut funding to USU. If the administration reprimanded the student leaders, that upsets me. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Faf in particular used to do an amazing job of using social media to get students to show up for games and be as obnoxious as possible when they were there. The Spectrum really hasn't been the same since then, and if our administration killed it, that was a really poor decision.

As for whether the signs/chants went too far, my personal opinion is that giving opposing players/coaches flak about bad decisions they have made in the past is always fair game. Granted, in this case, I don't think I or anyone else needed to know that Davies had sex; I blame BYU for that. But if they are going to make it public record, then they should prepare for the abuse. I do think it's possible for fans to go too far when trying to harass an opposing player. When Steve Kerr playing against ASU in college, his father had been murdered by Palestinian terrorists shortly before the game. Apparently the ASU fans changed, "PLO! PLO!" and "Where's your daddy?" throughout the game. I think that crosses a line and an apology would be totally justified in that case. But if you do something stupid off the court, I think that's fair game, assuming that it isn't some horrific tragedy where people end up dying or something. And in general, I would rather have our student section err on the side of being too edgy rather than going soft for fear of offending someone.

Locked Previous topicNext topic