Student attendance

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Usu0505

Re: Student attendance

Post by Usu0505 » January 14th, 2019, 11:29 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 10:54 am
Usu0505 wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 8:27 am
Student section just needs a leader... or a few leaders. I think thats the diff between now amd 8 years ago. Any students on here willing to be front row for every game and get things back in order?

Im sure wild bill has long moved on but USU should pay him a lot of money to come back for a season and show the young guns how it's done.
HELL NO. It needs the opposite.
It wasnt sold out but there was a decent student section for fresno. They couldn't figure out for shi* when to get loud and cheer. Coach smith had to "lead" them into yelling when on defense.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » January 14th, 2019, 11:30 am

USUaggienation wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 6:01 pm
Usu0505 wrote:
Student section just needs a leader... or a few leaders. I think thats the diff between now amd 8 years ago. Any students on here willing to be front row for every game and get things back in order?

Im sure wild bill has long moved on but USU should pay him a lot of money to come back for a season and show the young guns how it's done.
If they were, it wouldn't matter because that section was sold out to the students that purchased the "Hurd Premium."

I'm actually a grad student and I go to the games and sit in the student section, but being in the 30+ club, I don't think it's my place to "lead" anymore. Kids are just different these days. Last year vs. BYU was the closest we got to the old Spectrum atmosphere, but it still wasn't quite the same. I want to believe the magic will return, but it's looking less and less likely.
Could be.

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » January 14th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Where did the front row bald guy go that had been there for forever?

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 14th, 2019, 12:40 pm

tysteve20 wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 12:03 pm
I'm a student now, and don't see or hear anything leading up to games. No one talking about it. Maybe one small sign on campus. I feel like students just aren't aware games are happening. Unless you follow usubasketball on Instagram, which if you don't care about it you won't, you aren't even going to know there's a game.

The Hurd is trying. The past couple games "the bull sheet" has been passed out as a kind of a replacement refraction. But cheers aren't clever. Most are just obnoxious. Like inviting the opposing coach to subway after the game? We need new cheers and more unity. Sadly I can't participate because I'm an "official university representative" or I'd be on the front row.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
I'm not really sure how things have deteriorated to the point that there is no "advertising" on campus - that should be a bare minimum effort. On campus housing should be utilized to spread the word to get on-campus students out. How is there not a schedule/poster hanging in every dorm on campus? Are those not printed anymore?

I sort of feel like the students as a whole have adopted the original Hurd mentality. "The Hurd" was originally nothing more than a small side group of students that wanted free stuff or discounts to local shops - they largely had little to no interest in supporting the actual athletic events at all. They were nothing more than a social club. They were not made up of die-hard fans, did not show up early for anything, and were sort of looked at as a joke by the general student population. Unfortunately, the term "The Hurd" was used by Gary Andersen in reference to the student section upon his arrival (first time around) and that term has generally been accepted for all students ever since.

For a long time the student section just operated on sheer excitement of the games and there was little else to compete with for the attention of a student looking to have a good time and blow off some energy. Eventually a few student athletic VP's in a row raised the bar and called for a more unified student section. One instigated the wearing of all blue to home games, and eventually came up with the game day shirt to help aid the cause. Of course there were also students like Fafner and his group/generation of friends that took it another step with implementing coordinated chants and a game day newsletter to build on what was already an atmosphere of chaos.

Wherever the effort comes from, the recent past has shown it probably needs to be grassroots and will take a lot of work. Where is the current student athletics VP in all of this? Hopefully the team will do their part and start a winning tradition. All I know is the students today are spoiled, these are conference opponents most of us would have died to have on the schedule when we were students.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 14th, 2019, 12:47 pm

Aglicious wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 12:40 pm
Eventually a few student athletic VP's in a row raised the bar and called for a more unified student section. One instigated the wearing of all blue to home games, and eventually came up with the game day shirt to help aid the cause. . . . Where is the current student athletics VP in all of this?
That is exactly what needs to be done: put some responsibility on the Athletics VP to make this happen. While a grass-roots campaign would be nice, it is difficult to maintain momentum over many years of ups and downs without a student organization/institution in place that will make it a focus EVERY year.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » January 14th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Now the more difficult question. How do you get the blue hairs to participate? I always get asked to sit down and be quiet when I sit the "grown-up" sections. It amazes me how people won't even do the scotsman.

ProfessorChaos

Post by ProfessorChaos » January 14th, 2019, 4:02 pm

I could probably write an entire memoir on this topic.... Not sure it'd be one anyone would care to read, but I could sure as hell write one!

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 14th, 2019, 4:06 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 4:02 pm
I could probably write an entire memoir on this topic.... Not sure it'd be one anyone would care to read, but I could sure as hell write one!
You should, and the first copy should be delivered to the Student Athletics VP. It should then be passed down as required reading to every VP from then on.

sneed

Post by sneed » January 14th, 2019, 6:02 pm

When I graduated I wanted a “rowdy” section like Utah. I chose seats in section E so they would be near the students at least. Now it’s nice to sit (I usually am with kids anyway).

I still try and be loud but the spectrum is pretty sad. - better than other arenas - close to the floor and a decent crowd but barely above average most games as far as home court advantage / energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » January 14th, 2019, 6:46 pm

It's very hard sitting with the blue hairs. My time was 08-12 and I am very thankful for my timing of attending school. I didn't start school till I was 23. I been sitting in different areas this season and for Fresno I was in section S. When coach Smith was urging the crowd to get up and loud I resisted due to the numerous white haired folk around me. One of the single most hardest things I have ever had to do. It's hard because I know they all are some long time season ticket holders and don't want to be disrespectful to them.

I often wonder if the blue hairs will be able to handle people standing up when coach wants the crowd to get up. Given that we lost by a lone point I have serious regrets. It won't happen again. It's time for a culture shift. When coach wants people getting up and loud we best damn well get off our asses.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 14th, 2019, 8:06 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 4:02 pm
There was this article on Cache Valley Daily where they interviewed you.

http://www.cachevalleydaily.com/news/ar ... D1NTnbYq00

LelandAggie
RIP
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by LelandAggie » January 14th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Aggie-Man wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 12:21 pm
Where did the front row bald guy go that had been there for forever?
I'm still going to games. I've been up in the corner. I thought it was time to "retire" and let a new group take over. I also don't want to wait for hours on end anymore. I have visited a couple of times.

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » January 14th, 2019, 10:03 pm

👍👍

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » January 15th, 2019, 10:51 am

Usu0505 wrote:

To be honest, that's supposed to be the job of the HURD committee but there is a huge divide right now between most of the hardcore students and the committee. My friends and I who show up every game and other people who are consistently around us all don't like them to the point where we just don't sit behind the basket. We stand behind the media table. I could go on a rant right now but i'll avoid it. If the committee could get over themselves, i'm sure we could get some unity among the student section.

bigblue

Post by bigblue » January 15th, 2019, 12:07 pm

FromLItoLogan wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

To be honest, that's supposed to be the job of the HURD committee but there is a huge divide right now between most of the hardcore students and the committee. My friends and I who show up every game and other people who are consistently around us all don't like them to the point where we just don't sit behind the basket. We stand behind the media table. I could go on a rant right now but i'll avoid it. If the committee could get over themselves, i'm sure we could get some unity among the student section.
Well I will say this. At the Fresno game I didn't see many under the basket start too many chants. It seemed like your section was very much more vocal. I'd say just get a group in your area to start a chant every chance you get. Every time the other team gets the ball get it going. It use to be the cheerleaders would follow the students, now it seems the students follow what the cheerleaders start.

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » January 15th, 2019, 9:14 pm

bigblue wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 12:07 pm
FromLItoLogan wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

Well I will say this. At the Fresno game I didn't see many under the basket start too many chants. It seemed like your section was very much more vocal. I'd say just get a group in your area to start a chant every chance you get. Every time the other team gets the ball get it going. It use to be the cheerleaders would follow the students, now it seems the students follow what the cheerleaders start.

It is funny because everytime we do start a chant, the committee always shoots us a dirty look because that's "their job" and their sections tries to chant and ends up off pace with it. Lots of dissatisfaction towards the committee from many of the students who sit in the front few rows of the other sections.

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » January 15th, 2019, 10:17 pm

Now that is just sad.

newtonianblue

Post by newtonianblue » January 15th, 2019, 10:37 pm

FromLItoLogan wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 9:14 pm
bigblue wrote:
FromLItoLogan wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

It is funny because everytime we do start a chant, the committee always shoots us a dirty look because that's "their job" and their sections tries to chant and ends up off pace with it. Lots of dissatisfaction towards the committee from many of the students who sit in the front few rows of the other sections.
What’s sad is I can vouch for that...I saw the front row get visibly upset at you guys, kinda caught me by surprise :noidea: my wife and I were sitting with our student son in the student section being loud as we could be, when I saw that happen more than once it seemed like someone was a little high on themselves...heaven knows they weren’t doing a very good job getting the noise going so I’m glad you guys did something. I don’t remember seeing stuff like that before in the student sections but then we aren’t always in the mix like we were. Usually we’re just annoying our fellow bluehairs with too much noise 😝 so I say keep it up, hopefully we’ll all remember that we’re cheering for the same team so it doesn’t really matter who starts the noise :utah: :state:

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » January 15th, 2019, 10:40 pm

FromLItoLogan wrote:
bigblue wrote:
FromLItoLogan wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

Tell them to shove it. Cheer away.

ProfessorChaos

Post by ProfessorChaos » January 16th, 2019, 11:20 am

FromLItoLogan wrote:
One of the main drivers that fueled the creation of The Refraction was because all of the people in any official university capacity (athletics VP, AD personnel, student services, Hurd, etc.) only wanted to make excuses as to why we COULDN'T do certain things to try and improve involvement and stadium atmosphere. If the school didn't want to help us help them, we decided to play by our own rules.

Wild Bill didn't come about because they university asked him to. He just started doing his thing, regardless of what the university thought, and it made for some epic moments and incredible visibility for the program and The Spectrum as a whole.

If I remember right, even the original gameday shirts started as just a rogue a side project by the original creator, before it was adopted as an official school tradition.

Main point being... Don't be afraid to disrupt! A lot of great things about The Spectrum atmosphere have come about because of people going rogue and playing by their own set of rules.
If you have to step on some toes along the way, just be sure to do it more out of love for the Aggies rather than out of spite (a little spite is OK :devil: )
But also know that unless you're consistent and relentless, any ground you gain can be quickly lost.

Once they realize that somebody else's effort is making them look bad, they'll either step it up, or they step out of your way!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 16th, 2019, 12:38 pm

scotlandog wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 10:40 pm
Tell them to shove it.
"Shove it?" Is that still a thing? Sounds like something a blue hair might say . . . . ;)

bigblue

Post by bigblue » January 16th, 2019, 3:13 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
FromLItoLogan wrote:
One of the main drivers that fueled the creation of The Refraction was because all of the people in any official university capacity (athletics VP, AD personnel, student services, Hurd, etc.) only wanted to make excuses as to why we COULDN'T do certain things to try and improve involvement and stadium atmosphere. If the school didn't want to help us help them, we decided to play by our own rules.

Wild Bill didn't come about because they university asked him to. He just started doing his thing, regardless of what the university thought, and it made for some epic moments and incredible visibility for the program and The Spectrum as a whole.

If I remember right, even the original gameday shirts started as just a rogue a side project by the original creator, before it was adopted as an official school tradition.

Main point being... Don't be afraid to disrupt! A lot of great things about The Spectrum atmosphere have come about because of people going rogue and playing by their own set of rules.
If you have to step on some toes along the way, just be sure to do it more out of love for the Aggies rather than out of spite (a little spite is OK Image )
But also know that unless you're consistent and relentless, any ground you gain can be quickly lost.

Once they realize that somebody else's effort is making them look bad, they'll either step it up, or they step out of your way!
Well freaking said!!!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 16th, 2019, 11:46 pm

There was at least 1 Athletics VP that was fairly supportive and he served right around the time- maybe a year prior- to when Bill started his shenanigans.

There may have been times when he said “no” to some things- but as a representative of the school it’s what he had to say. In those cases it’s best to just not ask permission. That guy is one of the best Aggies I know.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 17th, 2019, 5:26 am

ProfessorChaos wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 11:20 am
FromLItoLogan wrote:

If you have to step on some toes along the way, just be sure to do it more out of love for the Aggies rather than out of spite (a little spite is OK :devil: )

:golfclap: :rock:

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 18th, 2019, 1:10 pm

20Trae wrote:I'm new to this board, so this probably deserves it is own topic but I can't start a new topic yet. As a student, I see the student attendance increasing, especially against Fresno, but the student energy still seems flat. Unfortunately, students don't seem as interested in going to the games, and have gravitated more towards the atmosphere of the hockey games. If you go to one of those, you will see its packed and insanely loud, even though they lose games. Obviously something needs to change to bring that back. Coach Smith has a huge been a huge addition and came to revive Spectrum Magic, but if fans/students do nothing its not going to change. Plus, Craig Smith almost had to spend more time cheering for that students to get loud than coaching I swear. I was in Junior High during the Spectrum Magic days and as a student now, I want to see that come back. Its seems as if the students don't even remember how to do that anymore. Since that was a while ago and I was pretty young, I don't remember all the cheers and what made it crazy. Besides the regular "I believe", "winning team losing team", "go big blue", and "right left right left" is about all we are capable of now, it seems we could do a lot more. Does anyone have any good ideas of cheers/chants that are catchy and can get the spectrum rocking all game long again? Its pathetic that student are willing to drive 10 minutes to a cold icy arena to pay 5 bucks, watch 2-3 goals, and a couple good hits when we can all get into the spectrum for free in a high intensity arena with a history of a great atmosphere.
A) hockey is better
B) There are maybe 500 students at hockey games max and 4,000 seats at the Spectrum.
C) The Hurd should be disbanded. People are waiting for what the hurd says to do instead of taking it upon themselves to get the action going.

Hail Aggies!

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » January 19th, 2019, 1:48 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
Actually, Tyler Olsen was a former football player and cheerleader who got elected Athletics Vice President. He designed, and then went around and gathered sponsorships so he could print the Game Day shirts, and then sold them for an unbelievably low price . . . like $6 each . . . so people would wear blue to Aggie games. He got a big sign and mounted it on white PVC pipes and would carry it out on to the floor at half time or during time outs that said "Wear Blue" and other stuff on it. He got a big flag he would wave around that said the same kind of stuff.

Tyler was one person who started a grassfire that many others captured, right about the time Aggie Basketball was really taking off. One person can make a difference. Whomever that one person is now, they need to get going. We need the students back in the Spectrum and I don't care if it involves the HURD or not. Just get it going, because the rest of the Spectrum feeds off of the studentbody.

ProfessorChaos

Post by ProfessorChaos » January 19th, 2019, 2:54 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 1:48 pm
ProfessorChaos wrote:
Actually, Tyler Olsen was a former football player and cheerleader who got elected Athletics Vice President. He designed, and then went around and gathered sponsorships so he could print the Game Day shirts, and then sold them for an unbelievably low price . . . like $6 each . . . so people would wear blue to Aggie games. He got a big sign and mounted it on white PVC pipes and would carry it out on to the floor at half time or during time outs that said "Wear Blue" and other stuff on it. He got a big flag he would wave around that said the same kind of stuff.

Tyler was one person who started a grassfire that many others captured, right about the time Aggie Basketball was really taking off. One person can make a difference. Whomever that one person is now, they need to get going. We need the students back in the Spectrum and I don't care if it involves the HURD or not. Just get it going, because the rest of the Spectrum feeds off of the studentbody.
Let's not forget the blue tootsie rolls he'd toss out only to people wearing blue! That was the inspiration for only passing copies of The Refraction to people wearing Aggie Blue at games.

I want to say that the very first printing of the original gameday shirts, he did on his own. At least I THINK I remember him telling me that once. And then once he was Athletics VP, the whole tradition REALLY took off.

That dude deserves as much, if not more credit than anyone in my book for making The Spectrum what it truly was best at, to its core!

bullshot

Post by bullshot » January 19th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Actually, the first game day t shirts were the crudely made silk screen National Tequila Day shirts of the mid 1970’s. Those shirts may not pass the politically correction police of today. It had a napping Mexican slumped up against a Suharo (sp?) cactus.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 19th, 2019, 9:52 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 2:54 pm
AggiesForever wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:

Let's not forget the blue tootsie rolls he'd toss out only to people wearing blue! That was the inspiration for only passing copies of The Refraction to people wearing Aggie Blue at games.

I want to say that the very first printing of the original gameday shirts, he did on his own. At least I THINK I remember him telling me that once. And then once he was Athletics VP, the whole tradition REALLY took off.

That dude deserves as much, if not more credit than anyone in my book for making The Spectrum what it truly was best at, to its core!
Wasn’t it Tyler who also brought out the giant prints with the lyrics for the school song and Scotsman so students would learn the words?

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 19th, 2019, 10:19 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 9:52 pm
ProfessorChaos wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 2:54 pm
AggiesForever wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:

Wasn’t it Tyler who also brought out the giant prints with the lyrics for the school song and Scotsman so students would learn the words?
Yes, I believe it was.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » January 19th, 2019, 10:26 pm

We also had top ten BYU joke shirts, a few others and Jacks screw the Y t shirts in the early 80’s and some great times on the front row until Khon appeared.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 19th, 2019, 11:06 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
[Fill in the blank] was a former football player and cheerleader . . . .
How often do you hear that? Not many former football player/cheerleaders out there.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 19th, 2019, 11:08 pm

WAAggie wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 10:26 pm
We also had . . . some great times [in the early 80’s] on the front row until Khon appeared.
I believe it was Kohn. You're thinking of the Wrath of Khon. ;)

"We want Tann!" "We want Tann!"

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » January 19th, 2019, 11:55 pm

The students were loud tonight. They really need to work on what they do during opponent foul shots tho. There used to be a whole repertoire - side-to-side sways, circular arm motions, synchronized arm shifts at the last moment, etc. etc. not to mention my personal favorite for that time period, the Happy Hands Club LOL. Now there is nothing except being loud. (I did like the heads of Smith and Ficklin). Somebody needs to reinvent the playbook.

Smith keeps talking about how great the students have been. He has no idea what it can be like in there.

Crowd was bigger and louder tonight. Baby steps I guess.....

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 20th, 2019, 12:41 am

bullshot wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 9:30 pm
Actually, the first game day t shirts were the crudely made silk screen National Tequila Day shirts of the mid 1970’s. Those shirts may not pass the politically correction police of today. It had a napping Mexican slumped up against a Suharo (sp?) cactus.
Good try. Saguaro. Remember, the g is pronounced like an h.
I loved National Tequila Day.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Locked Previous topicNext topic