We lost, but we proved ourselves to be good with a strong possible run for NCAA tournament

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

We lost, but we proved ourselves to be good with a strong possible run for NCAA tournament

Post by SLB » November 21st, 2018, 11:39 pm

Arizona State may very well win the PAC 12 because they are really good. Dort is crazy good. We could have won if we shot the ball better. We missed too many open shots.
To be honest (outside of Nevada), who could we lose to. I personally think that we could beat Nevada.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Re: We lost, but we proved ourselves to be good with a strong possible run for NCAA tournament

Post by bigblue » November 21st, 2018, 11:45 pm

After watching this game I don't think we will be no pushover for Nevada that's for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

usufan1

Re: We lost, but we proved ourselves to be good with a strong possible run for NCAA tournament

Post by usufan1 » November 21st, 2018, 11:47 pm

Last home game of the season vs Nevada is going to be a fun one to watch!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » November 21st, 2018, 11:51 pm

usufan1 wrote:Last home game of the season vs Nevada is going to be a fun one to watch!

Double ranked game ala football? One can hope.

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » November 22nd, 2018, 12:01 am

bigblue wrote:
usufan1 wrote:Last home game of the season vs Nevada is going to be a fun one to watch!

Double ranked game ala football? One can hope.

Can you imagine the atmosphere in the Spectrum.

Definitely seems like we will have our home court advantage back soon!

TheSauerkrautKid
Has thanked: 0

Post by TheSauerkrautKid » November 22nd, 2018, 12:14 am

I am a natural pessimist so I cant say a tourney run is quite in the cards, but I will say this is exactly the start the Craig Smith era needed. Not just wins, but the general feel of the team has a bounce in it. There's a wide range of possibilities, but give USU a few years to fortify the roster Smith has in mind and I expect the Aggies to knock some walls down.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 22nd, 2018, 12:21 am

Very impressed with the toughness. Now if some of the newbies can show consistency game to game, and if TK could develop enough to carry the bulk of the Pg minutes I think we could really have something.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 22nd, 2018, 7:44 am

It will be interesting to see how the team rebounds from a loss. I think they will be fine, but I’ve seen teams take this kind of game and let it eat at them, especially when they are surprising people with what they can do.

Go Aggies!

Where only sage brush grows

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 22nd, 2018, 7:52 am

If we stay healthy we are top 3 in the conference this year. Who could have said that three weeks ago? No one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » November 22nd, 2018, 7:56 am

SLB wrote:
November 21st, 2018, 11:39 pm
Arizona State may very well win the PAC 12 because they are really good. Dort is crazy good. We could have won if we shot the ball better. We missed too many open shots.
To be honest (outside of Nevada), who could we lose to. I personally think that we could beat Nevada.
Slow Down, hold your horses! Don't get me wrong, I love the renewed energy, defense, rebounding, and overall attitude. BUT this team lacks overall talent and as other teams have more film and get used to us in Conference, we will have many more loses. Unfortunately when either Sam or Queta is out, our defense and offense both take a hit. Fakira doesn't yet know what he's capable of, Brown and Taylor are too small inside, our wings are inconsistent and not athletic enough, and the Knights are just learning. Bottom line we need more talent and size. I see a 5th place kind of finish in Conference.

Recruiting has been great so far, but we need some serious size and scoring at the wings, at the 4, and a consistency at PG.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 22nd, 2018, 7:59 am

When Merrill is not on the floor we don't have anybody that can score reliably. When Merrill and Queta were taken out of the game there was no recovering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » November 22nd, 2018, 8:23 am

dyedblue wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 7:59 am
When Merrill is not on the floor we don't have anybody that can score reliably. When Merrill and Queta were taken out of the game there was no recovering.

And as a Freshman "shot blocker" type, he's going to get in foul trouble. And Fakira doesn't know what he can do yet - score?, defense? rebound?

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 22nd, 2018, 8:31 am

Fakira and T Knight are the next link in the chain that needs to come together in order to battle with the top teams in conference. We need TK’s athleticism and skill set at the PG spot desperately, but I understand what Smith is doing in making him earn it. Fakira needs to adjust to the ticky tack nature of college basketball, and get used to the speed of the game so he can think less and just react more. He’s got good big man skills but you can tell his brain is telling his feet when to move. We just can’t count on refs letting Queta be Queta on a night in basis. Last night 2-3 of his fouls were anticipated calls where the assumed it was going to be a foul when it really wasn’t.

usu99

Post by usu99 » November 22nd, 2018, 9:16 am

It will be a longer season than we want if J Knight doesn't either start making his out of control drives or dishing it. The team has to shoot better from 3 as well. 30% isn't going to cut it and neither will below 70% FT from Knight if he is going to never dish the ball.

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » November 22nd, 2018, 9:25 am

usu99 wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 9:16 am
It will be a longer season than we want if J Knight doesn't either start making his out of control drives or dishing it. The team has to shoot better from 3 as well. 30% isn't going to cut it and neither will below 70% FT from Knight if he is going to never dish the ball.
John Knight is not really a point guard in his skill set. He’s more of a 2-3 or like a Kevin Rice for those that remember. Average shooter, very average passer, not great at seeing the floor, but a great athlete and very good on defense. The real problem we’re having is that T Knight is not developing as fast as he needs to

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 22nd, 2018, 9:35 am

USUBlue wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 9:25 am
usu99 wrote:
John Knight is not really a point guard in his skill set. He’s more of a 2-3 or like a Kevin Rice for those that remember. Average shooter, very average passer, not great at seeing the floor, but a great athlete and very good on defense. The real problem we’re having is that T Knight is not developing as fast as he needs to
Knight was the only guy outside of Merrill with the nuts to attack on offense in the final 10 minutes. Did he force it at times? Yes. But he also fouled out some guys and kept us in the game. I came away most excited about his play from last night. On a team lacking in offensive playmakers, another one emerged on a big stage last night.
Usu99 I’ve gotten the feeling that no matter what you’re just not going to be happy with Knight?

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » November 22nd, 2018, 9:48 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 9:35 am
USUBlue wrote:
usu99 wrote:
Knight was the only guy outside of Merrill with the nuts to attack on offense in the final 10 minutes. Did he force it at times? Yes. But he also fouled out some guys and kept us in the game. I came away most excited about his play from last night. On a team lacking in offensive playmakers, another one emerged on a big stage last night.
Usu99 I’ve gotten the feeling that no matter what you’re just not going to be happy with Knight?
I agree hipster. I think JK3 is going to be very good for us. I like his aggression and his defense. I just hope we don’t have to have him play point guard. I think he and Sam could play at the wings, with a different point guard and have a very explosive team

GUS

Post by GUS » November 22nd, 2018, 9:58 am

Brown needs to stop jacking up threes and Miller needs to be more selective with his threes.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » November 22nd, 2018, 10:04 am

I thought JK3 forced a few but he made it up by stealing the ball back or fighting for a rebound. He had some great hustle plays and attacked the basket. He does need to learn to drive and dish or kick out. I think that will come as the coaches work with him on film study. I also liked that he went up to challenge Cherry on that dunk later in the game. He didn’t care if he might get posterized. I love the fight that’s deep down in him.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » November 22nd, 2018, 10:05 am

I was mostly disappointed in some of browns shots and forced, out of control stuff. It did not seem like he scored 14, so that was nice, but some shots were poor.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 22nd, 2018, 10:51 am

USUBlue wrote:
usu99 wrote:
Yes, I much prefer he concentrate on back cuts and scoring off the wings and transition. He’s not a point guard, but is one of our best defenders, is fearless, and hustles his butt off so it’s hard to keep him off the floor. Tk has got to be the one to learn the position.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 23rd, 2018, 4:30 am

I like our team. I like where we are. It's a long season. A long time for us to get better.

If we stay healthy, I am very optimistic. But it's going to be a grind and a lot can go wrong. There is a lot to be positive about, let's just not get ahead of ourselves.

gametime12
Been thanked: 0

Post by gametime12 » November 23rd, 2018, 6:40 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
usu99 wrote:
I didn’t like some of Knights shots but his aggression is needed. Sam and Queta can’t be the only ones with the ability to create their own shots. You need both players who score in the flow and players who can get their own.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 23rd, 2018, 9:28 am

We need Brown to do more. Especially when we need some points. The young guys will come along, but they are freshmen and I don’t expect too much. I was expecting a below average finish. I’m happy with the excitement around the program. That was unexpected.

Full

Post by Full » November 23rd, 2018, 11:13 am

Imakeitrain wrote:I like our team. I like where we are. It's a long season. A long time for us to get better.

If we stay healthy, I am very optimistic. But it's going to be a grind and a lot can go wrong. There is a lot to be positive about, let's just not get ahead of ourselves.
I’m peaking at the last home game of the season against Nevada and thinking about 9 years ago.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » November 23rd, 2018, 12:01 pm

USUBlue wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 7:56 am
SLB wrote:
Slow Down, hold your horses! Don't get me wrong, I love the renewed energy, defense, rebounding, and overall attitude. BUT this team lacks overall talent and as other teams have more film and get used to us in Conference, we will have many more loses. Unfortunately when either Sam or Queta is out, our defense and offense both take a hit. Fakira doesn't yet know what he's capable of, Brown and Taylor are too small inside, our wings are inconsistent and not athletic enough, and the Knights are just learning. Bottom line we need more talent and size. I see a 5th place kind of finish in Conference.

Recruiting has been great so far, but we need some serious size and scoring at the wings, at the 4, and a consistency at PG.
This 100%.

This team has tremendous upside. But its (1) too soon to be predicting an NCAA tourney berth because we (2) don't have a lot of reliable scoring, other than Sam, and (2) frankly no reliable size until both Queta and Fakira get more experienced. Yes, they will have great moments. Yes, they have talent. And, yes, there will be times when they are completely overmatched against more experienced players. (3) This team is way more athletic, but its going to take some time for all of the pieces to come together. I remember about 20 years ago when Stew came, we started off 5-1 or something like that, beat nationally ranked Utah, and did all sorts of other things, and people were out of their minds. But Stew quickly said something like, "Hold on, we're not that good yet. We've got some talent, but we have some warts, too." This proved to be true as I think we wound up 15-13 or something like that. The NEXT YEAR, though, we went 28-6 and 16-0 in the Big West, and had our big run in the tournament. So this year may be good, but its going to take some time for everybody to learn to do what Smith needs done.

That said, I'm very excited to see the season unfold.

SLB

Post by SLB » November 23rd, 2018, 12:23 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
November 23rd, 2018, 12:01 pm
USUBlue wrote:
SLB wrote:

This 100%.

This team has tremendous upside. But its (1) too soon to be predicting an NCAA tourney berth because we (2) don't have a lot of reliable scoring, other than Sam, and (2) frankly no reliable size until both Queta and Fakira get more experienced. Yes, they will have great moments. Yes, they have talent. And, yes, there will be times when they are completely overmatched against more experienced players. (3) This team is way more athletic, but its going to take some time for all of the pieces to come together. I remember about 20 years ago when Stew came, we started off 5-1 or something like that, beat nationally ranked Utah, and did all sorts of other things, and people were out of their minds. But Stew quickly said something like, "Hold on, we're not that good yet. We've got some talent, but we have some warts, too." This proved to be true as I think we wound up 15-13 or something like that. The NEXT YEAR, though, we went 28-6 and 16-0 in the Big West, and had our big run in the tournament. So this year may be good, but its going to take some time for everybody to learn to do what Smith needs done.

I believe that many of you will change your tune about NCAA tournament after we beat UNI, UCI, BYU, Weber State, Houston, and those 2 weak schools on the schedule before conference play. ASU will play Nevada which would give us a better idea about Nevada. I believe the new players are continuing to improve.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » November 23rd, 2018, 1:45 pm

SLB wrote:
November 23rd, 2018, 12:23 pm
AggiesForever wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
SLB wrote:

This 100%.

I believe that many of you will change your tune about NCAA tournament after we beat UNI, UCI, BYU, Weber State, Houston, and those 2 weak schools on the schedule before conference play. ASU will play Nevada which would give us a better idea about Nevada. I believe the new players are continuing to improve.
Aren't you the same guy that was going off about how good Duryea was going to be, and how each year was going to get us back to the tournament. Suggestion -- ridiculous predictions doesn't make you positive, just lose credibility.

SLB

Post by SLB » November 23rd, 2018, 1:57 pm

USUBlue wrote:
November 23rd, 2018, 1:45 pm
SLB wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
SLB wrote:

This 100%.

Aren't you the same guy that was going off about how good Duryea was going to be, and how each year was going to get us back to the tournament. Suggestion -- ridiculous predictions doesn't make you positive, just lose credibility.
I was the guy who thought years ago about being patient with Duryea, and I was excited about the highly rated recruits. I originally thought Duryea was going to continue Stew's work since being Stew's longtime assistant coach. I was also the guy who thought that was potential in Brito (I was greatly criticized for that). I was called very negative last year because since I saw no improvement and cycle of losing with Duryea (there was still Duryea defenders on this board last year who hated me).

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 23rd, 2018, 1:58 pm

It is way to early to be talking about post season play, we are better than last season, we are better coached than last season, but we are not there in a couple of spots, give Smith a year or so to put together what is needed than we should see a possible NCAA team.

SLB

Post by SLB » November 23rd, 2018, 2:04 pm

USUBlue wrote:
SLB wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
SLB wrote:

This 100%.

To be honest, we were tricked into thinking the "highly rated recruits" were going to lead us to wins.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » November 23rd, 2018, 2:16 pm

SLB wrote:
November 23rd, 2018, 2:04 pm
USUBlue wrote:
SLB wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
SLB wrote:

This 100%.

To be honest, we were tricked into thinking the "highly rated recruits" were going to lead us to wins.
Quit being tricked by "recruiting hype or star count". Watch the game, watch what the coach does, etc. Nobody that really watched Duryea was tricked; Kobe didn't trick anybody that watched (Merrill was always the glue); Henson was always limited in his game (outside shooting is only part of the game). I don't care about Smith's recruits based on hype (watch what they do) and watch what he does.

usu99

Post by usu99 » November 23rd, 2018, 2:38 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
usu99 wrote:
Yes, for some reason his out of control drives has really bothered me more than anyone else. Probably doesn't deserve it, but those stick with me for some reason. :headscratch:

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » November 23rd, 2018, 3:21 pm

usu99 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
usu99 wrote:
Yes, for some reason his out of control drives has really bothered me more than anyone else. Probably doesn't deserve it, but those stick with me for some reason. :headscratch:
I think this is just a case of a guy having tremendous athletic ability but needs to adjust to how athletic everyone else is as well at this level. He is used to dominating with his athleticism, even when strategically he is beat by the defense. He has been able to still make it work against lower competition. He is now facing some pretty athletic defenders and when he has position and the advantage , he looks great, when the defense has position, he looks out of control. He just needs to be coached up and adjust. He will be fine as long as he’s coachable. This is something that can happen by conference play. The speed of he game isn’t an issue I don’t think for him, it’s just recognizing the defensive positions and when to attack and when to pass. After seeing how much others are already progressing, I’m confident he will pick this up over time.

SLB

Post by SLB » November 23rd, 2018, 3:40 pm

USUBlue wrote:
November 23rd, 2018, 2:16 pm
SLB wrote:
November 23rd, 2018, 2:04 pm
USUBlue wrote:
SLB wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
SLB wrote:

This 100%.

Quit being tricked by "recruiting hype or star count". Watch the game, watch what the coach does, etc. Nobody that really watched Duryea was tricked; Kobe didn't trick anybody that watched (Merrill was always the glue); Henson was always limited in his game (outside shooting is only part of the game). I don't care about Smith's recruits based on hype (watch what they do) and watch what he does.
Koby McEwen was at one point a ESPN top 100 recruit.

Locked Previous topicNext topic