who shouldn't we start

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
usubullzone

who shouldn't we start

Post by usubullzone » January 3rd, 2019, 10:44 am

We need a new point guard in the starting spot Ainge has some good games and some bad games right now there is no one who is a point guard on our team that can give us constant.
Right now the only person who has been consistent is Sam
In my opinion we need a better player

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: who shouldn't we start

Post by aggies22 » January 3rd, 2019, 2:31 pm

usubullzone wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 10:44 am
We need a new point guard in the starting spot Ainge has some good games and some bad games right now there is no one who is a point guard on our team that can give us constant.
Right now the only person who has been consistent is Sam
In my opinion we need a better player
Adding a better player mid-season isn't going to happen.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 3rd, 2019, 2:36 pm

At this point, I'd play Bean over Ainge and Miller.
Miller is terrified of contact. If I see him pump a three, get a guy into the air and NOT jump into that guy to draw the foul one more time I will lose it. He does the work to get the foul and runs away. Go to the line for three foul shots already.
Last edited by brownjeans on January 3rd, 2019, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donman

Post by Donman » January 3rd, 2019, 2:36 pm

brownjeans wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 2:36 pm
You want to play Bean at Point Guard..

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 3rd, 2019, 2:41 pm

brownjeans wrote:
Yeah, let's do that. Bean can handle the ball, pass it, shoot it, has mad ball skills getting to the basket, is a lock down defender, and makes his teammates better. Walkon Bean is the answer for sure - well he can rebound, but then misses his own putbacks.
Last edited by USUBlue on January 3rd, 2019, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 3rd, 2019, 2:41 pm

Donman wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
You want to play Bean at Point Guard..
We don't have a PG.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 3rd, 2019, 2:47 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 2:41 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Yeah, let's do that. Bean can handle the ball, pass it, shoot it, has mad ball skills getting to the basket, is a lock down defender, and makes his teammates better. Walkon Bean is the answer for sure - well he can rebound, but then misses his own putbacks.
It's not that Bean is that good, the other options are that bad.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » January 3rd, 2019, 2:56 pm

We need him off the ball but I would like to see Sam play around 10 minutes at the point.

I also think T Night should get more time. Let’s see what he can become.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 3rd, 2019, 2:58 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 2:41 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Hey, don't forget he is the team dunk champion as well. I have video proof. ;)

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 3rd, 2019, 4:04 pm

I don't have the time to look it up right now, but I remember a recruiting thread started shortly after the hiring of coach Smith being announced (one of those complaining that Smith was bringing his Summit League recruits with him) and I said that this staff would have some eye opening experiences in conference to understand the type of athlete that is required to compete. I had Nevada, UNM, SDSU, and to a lesser degree UNLV and Fresno St. in mind when I said that. I think this game was Exhibit A of the talent gap that exists when it comes to the Aggies and the top of the league. The good news is that not all those teams are performing well so far this season and may not overwhelm us athletically as much as previously thought.

Getting Queta was incredible and JK3 is a nice player but both were recruited to USU. So far, the tag-along recruits of T. Knight and Fakira that were recruited to South Dakota have proven to be in over their heads at this level. Add in the fact that Smith had to swallow Duryea's recruitment of Grootfaam and keep a broken Stall on the roster and there's 1/3 of the roster wasted.

It will be interesting to see what Smith does with the roster in the off-season, there are just so many positions that need upgrading and/or depth. I feel like we have a team full of guys that would have been last-off-the-bench, practice/scout guys, on good Aggie teams but see significant playing time on our current squad.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 3rd, 2019, 4:12 pm

Aglicious wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 4:04 pm
I don't have the time to look it up right now, but I remember a recruiting thread started shortly after the hiring of coach Smith being announced (one of those complaining that Smith was bringing his Summit League recruits with him) and I said that this staff would have some eye opening experiences in conference to understand the type of athlete that is required to compete. I had Nevada, UNM, SDSU, and to a lesser degree UNLV and Fresno St. in mind when I said that. I think this game was Exhibit A of the talent gap that exists when it comes to the Aggies and the top of the league. The good news is that not all those teams are performing well so far this season and may not overwhelm us athletically as much as previously thought.

Getting Queta was incredible and JK3 is a nice player but both were recruited to USU. So far, the tag-along recruits of T. Knight and Fakira that were recruited to South Dakota have proven to be in over their heads at this level. Add in the fact that Smith had to swallow Duryea's recruitment of Grootfaam and keep a broken Stall on the roster and there's 1/3 of the roster wasted.

It will be interesting to see what Smith does with the roster in the off-season, there are just so many positions that need upgrading and/or depth. I feel like we have a team full of guys that would have been last-off-the-bench, practice/scout guys, on good Aggie teams but see significant playing time on our current squad.
I think that's spot on. But what's too bad is that if you added Koby McEwen and KeSean Davis to this team with JK3 eligible, I think we were basically there.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 3rd, 2019, 5:06 pm

I'm not going to pile on the Summit League recruits, but yes, this is why I was skeptical of them. This team has overachieved so I'll stay positive. This game doesn't change that. But seriously we have Merrill and...

Queta is a freshman big that is a huge get for us. I love him and he'll be a great one, but he is an inconsistent freshman.

Porter, Ainge and Knight should never see the floor. We have no choice so they play.

The other knight can't keep his grades up so we're jacked there.

Brown and Miller are role players at best...so here are.

It's actually amazing that we have competed and done as well as we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » January 3rd, 2019, 5:15 pm

Overreaction day. We are 10-4 and lost to the #6 undefeated team at home. We were picked 9th in the conference. We are ahead of schedule but not at Nevada's level...shocking

usubullzone

Post by usubullzone » January 4th, 2019, 8:34 am

dyedblue wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 5:06 pm
I'm not going to pile on the Summit League recruits, but yes, this is why I was skeptical of them. This team has overachieved so I'll stay positive. This game doesn't change that. But seriously we have Merrill and...

Queta is a freshman big that is a huge get for us. I love him and he'll be a great one, but he is an inconsistent freshman.

Porter, Ainge and Knight should never see the floor. We have no choice so they play.

I agree with mostly everything that you said except Knight (TK) He only played 3 min at BYU and he didn't do bad he got 4 point is that 3 min i think that he has so potential to be a good player if coach smith would believe in him.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 4th, 2019, 9:01 am

usubullzone wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 8:34 am
dyedblue wrote:

I agree with mostly everything that you said except Knight (TK) He only played 3 min at BYU and he didn't do bad he got 4 point is that 3 min i think that he has so potential to be a good player if coach smith would believe in him.
From the little I've watched this team it seems like Sam is the defacto point guard in the 1/2 court anyway. At least he has the ball in his hands a lot more than the PG. I think the Aggies should get Merrill and their next 4 best athletes out there. I know its not ideal making your leading scorer change positions but it seems like he is already creating his own shot most of the time anyway.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » January 4th, 2019, 4:18 pm

I say we bring Koby back.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 4th, 2019, 4:44 pm

hickaggie wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 9:01 am
usubullzone wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 8:34 am
dyedblue wrote:

From the little I've watched this team it seems like Sam is the defacto point guard in the 1/2 court anyway. At least he has the ball in his hands a lot more than the PG. I think the Aggies should get Merrill and their next 4 best athletes out there. I know its not ideal making your leading scorer change positions but it seems like he is already creating his own shot most of the time anyway.
Sam is our best player, but the more you make Sam play PG, the worse this team will get. Sam's greatest value is off ball; his defense will also suffer if he covers their PG on defense.

bpd

Post by bpd » January 4th, 2019, 5:01 pm

After watching every game this season, I think it is obvious who we should start at PG. A good PG can both shoot and penetrate. Think Bernard Rock, Mark Brown, and yes Koby. We don't have any PGs on our roster that can do both now. Every time Crew shoots a 3 he either airballs it or nicks the rim. I'm a terrible outside shooter and I even think I am a better shooter than Crew. It really is puzzling because his dad and brother were both good shooters. He plays decent defense and can be a good passer, but he can't shoot or penetrate. Abel is a good passer and knows how to run the offense. But he can't penetrate and lacks confidence in his shot, especially his outside shot. When we play these two, it basically is 5 on 4. TK is not a good outside shooter yet, though I think he can be. He can penetrate and is a decent passer when he wants to be. I think he should start and Abel should get some minutes off the bench. Of course JK3 would be another option, but I don't know if he plays the rest of the season and he is not a true PG.

aggieup15
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by aggieup15 » January 4th, 2019, 7:00 pm

gomretat wrote:I say we bring Koby back.
One of the main reasons we are so good this year is because we don’t have Koby. The times Koby scores the most in games were games we will lost as a team. He was selfish and that ruined the whole team dynamic. Coach Smith obviously has changed the program for the better and I don’t believe Coach Smith would’ve let Koby get away with 1/2 the crap he did last year. He would’ve definitely held Koby accountable for his whining and selfishness. Is he a great player? Of course. But he wasn’t a team player, he didn’t “buy” into the program. We are successful because everyone is on the same page this year. The best thing for USU was gaining Coach Smith and losing Koby. Basketball is a team sport, Koby always projected for himself.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » January 4th, 2019, 8:07 pm

TrueAG wrote:Overreaction day. We are 10-4 and lost to the #6 undefeated team at home. We were picked 9th in the conference. We are ahead of schedule but not at Nevada's level...shocking
I agree with what you said except overaction day. There really isn't any outlandish posts in this thread. This is a just a dose of reality thread in my mind. With that said I couldn't be more pleased with were we are at this point. Next few weeks will really tell us if this coaching staff can develop some under talented players. The lack of a real PG will cost us some games though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Locked Previous topicNext topic