Nice job students/Hurd!!!

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
MetsJetsAggies

Re: Nice job students/Hurd!!!

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 27th, 2019, 1:03 am

USUBlue wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:51 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:31 am
Bad mouths players and coach for 3 straight years incessantly. Surprised when casual fans easily influenced by word of mouth don't show up 1 year immediately after said bad mouthing, even for a 22-6 tourney caliber team with a future NBA player.

Astonishing lack of self awareness honestly
Wow, I must live in your head MJA if you think that the students are influenced by me the past 3 years. No they were influenced by that lame (I can't express myself without swearing) coach and his boring team. The problem isn't solved by putting lipstick on a pig, but rather in talking straight and networking friends to the games. The students aren't networking well -- simple enough.
No not just you, but it's obvious the general demeanor and apathy you shouted from the rooftops for 3 years is something that spread throughout the community and student population by others who shared your attitude on the situation. People felt entitled to winning, this is what happens when people are entitled. Realistically that attitude is carrying over into a successful season.

Maybe next time we won't act like 3 .500 seasons are the end of the world and year 4 won't be so tough to get fans to the Spectrum when we bounce back.

CanuckAggie

Post by CanuckAggie » February 27th, 2019, 1:07 am

USUBlue wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 11:59 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 11:05 pm
I think some praise for the student section deserves it's own thread. The students absolutely brought it. They were creative, loud, and awesome. It felt like a party again.

Hopefully on Saturday that remaining 500-1000 students that aren't showing up come and the corner turns into people standing and is part of the student section again.
I disagree. The student section had about 2,600 cards swiped. The corners are dead and even the main sections don't get to the top with students. So I'd sell 500 of their tickets -- they won't have 4,000 cards swiped on Saturday. Nothing special tonight -- 8,200 whatever.
Best showing we've had in a long time and grandpa wants to lecture all the kids about how he had to walk to school uphill both ways in the snow.

At least for a moment there in the first half I felt the electricity back in that place! Enjoy it and build off of it!
These users thanked the author CanuckAggie for the post (total 3):
bigblueDkdavisFull

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 1:22 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 1:03 am
USUBlue wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Bad mouths players and coach for 3 straight years incessantly. Surprised when casual fans easily influenced by word of mouth don't show up 1 year immediately after said bad mouthing, even for a 22-6 tourney caliber team with a future NBA player.

Wow, I must live in your head MJA if you think that the students are influenced by me the past 3 years. No they were influenced by that lame a** coach and his boring team. The problem isn't solved by putting lipstick on a pig, but rather in talking straight and networking friends to the games. The students aren't networking well -- simple enough.
No not just you, but it's obvious the general demeanor and apathy you shouted from the rooftops for 3 years is something that spread throughout the community and student population by others who shared your attitude on the situation. People felt entitled to winning, this is what happens when people are entitled. Realistically that attitude is carrying over into a successful season.

Maybe next time we won't act like 3 .500 seasons are the end of the world and year 4 won't be so tough to get fans to the Spectrum when we bounce back.
Wow there's the issue MJA, you don't think fans should be entitled and I do. See we make the donations, buy the tickets, help pay the bills. We are entitled to have a program we believe in and have some entertainment value from. And if we drop to seasons below .500, you better believe I and many others will complain again.

USUaggienation

Post by USUaggienation » February 27th, 2019, 1:26 am

I was there for the Glory Years and we're not completely back to where we were. But if you couldn't tell from tonight that we're headed in the right direction and the Spectrum Magic is on the verge of its triumphant return, then we will agree to disagree.

The students were loud, creative and effective tonight and they certainly played a contributing role in the victory. We don't need a theoretical trophy, because we have a real trophy in the form of a crucial 'W' against what was the hottest team in the conference at the time.

Let's not overlook that we can now safely claim the title of the Best Student Section in the Conference. No, it's not SDSU anymore and none of the other schools are even a consideration ... which is kinda sad considering where the fan support for these teams were even five years ago.
These users thanked the author USUaggienation for the post (total 3):
bigblueDkdavisChicAggie

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 1:43 am

USUaggienation wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 1:26 am
I was there for the Glory Years and we're not completely back to where we were. But if you couldn't tell from tonight that we're headed in the right direction and the Spectrum Magic is on the verge of its triumphant return, then we will agree to disagree.

The students were loud, creative and effective tonight and they certainly played a contributing role in the victory. We don't need a theoretical trophy, because we have a real trophy in the form of a crucial 'W' against what was the hottest team in the conference at the time.

Let's not overlook that we can now safely claim the title of the Best Student Section in the Conference. No, it's not SDSU anymore and none of the other schools are even a consideration ... which is kinda sad considering where the fan support for these teams were even five years ago.
I agree with you, In most areas

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 27th, 2019, 1:52 am

USUBlue wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 1:22 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 1:03 am
USUBlue wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Wow, I must live in your head MJA if you think that the students are influenced by me the past 3 years. No they were influenced by that lame a** coach and his boring team. The problem isn't solved by putting lipstick on a pig, but rather in talking straight and networking friends to the games. The students aren't networking well -- simple enough.

Wow there's the issue MJA, you don't think fans should be entitled and I do. See we make the donations, buy the tickets, help pay the bills. We are entitled to have a program we believe in and have some entertainment value from. And if we drop to seasons below .500, you better believe I and many others will complain again.
Entitlement generation at it again. News flash...every school has donors and ticket buyers. Winning is cyclical. Schools make bad hires all the time, even the greatest schools with the deepest pocket donors.

Like I said, there's a difference between constructive attitude and wanting the team to do well or better, and what people like you did which is scorched Earth. And we are seeing what happens when people give up on a program entirely because of a few down years, it's hard to convince people who have mentally written the program off to come back.

Ill stop driving the point home, but just think its funny to see you complain about people not showing up to the Spectrum after you were part of the problem spouting insane negativity all the time around here...along with others too. Duryea isn't the coach anymore, and yet we still can't get people to fill the joint for a possible MW title winning team coached by a star in Smith, someone we probably don't land if not for 3 years of Duryea ;)
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
Dkdavis

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 27th, 2019, 6:05 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:17 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:08 am
USUBlue wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
I think some praise for the student section deserves it's own thread. The students absolutely brought it. They were creative, loud, and awesome. It felt like a party again.

Hopefully on Saturday that remaining 500-1000 students that aren't showing up come and the corner turns into people standing and is part of the student section again.
I disagree. The student section had about 2,600 cards swiped. The corners are dead and even the main sections don't get to the top with students. So I'd sell 500 of their tickets -- they won't have 4,000 cards swiped on Saturday. Nothing special tonight -- 8,200 whatever.
If true I agree, they've not proven that those seats will be used we may as well sell the seats and fill up the stadium. Teach the students that if they won't use the seats, they'll lose them.
As if the non-student seats ever fill up lately? Not even in football either... The students pay for those seats whether they attend or not, and when we are good again it will be full

PS this is a great example of why people got annoyed when people like Blue bad mouth the team/program the last few years. The negative s*** is carrying over to a year that we are 22-6! Maybe if people didn't abandon ship so hard and spread a bunch of negative attitude towards the bball program during a few mediocre seasons it wouldnt be so difficult to fill it up when we are actually good again?
If people hadn’t shown they weren’t going to accept one more year of Duryea then we wouldn’t have Smith right now. If there had been just a hint of positivity in the fan base I think he would’ve got one more year with the roster he had “on paper”. (I still think McEwen was gone no matter what) And even if he’d come through on that last recruiting class like he claimed he was going to.

tinplater

Post by tinplater » February 27th, 2019, 6:47 am

I watched on CBSSports from Arizona. I have NEVER heard so much praise heaped upon the "building" as the two talking heads did. Over and over they credited the crowd and home field advantage. You could tell they were absolutely amazed at the Hurd. Visually the kids, the face and animal placards (I loved the fish swimming in the end zone and Mr. Bean) had a huge impact upon the appearance of the crowd on TV. To me it was amazing. And I would guess they referenced the upcoming game with Nevada and what the crowd would be like a dozen or more times. I personally have never witnessed a broadcast like that.
These users thanked the author tinplater for the post (total 3):
DkdavisChicAggieRoy McAvoy

letsbehonest
Has thanked: 0

Post by letsbehonest » February 27th, 2019, 7:30 am

The crowd was an improvement which is the good news. Saturday is a sellout so hopefully even more students show up. For majority of students they will come to basketball games when it becomes the social scene on campus.

Don't understand the need to complain about the students after last night when there was marked improvement. Talking about selling those seats when there were plenty of empty seats throughout the stadium. Now if on Saturday at 10 minutes before tip if there are 1,000+ student seats still available by all means sell them. The thought that we as a fan base can't celebrate small victories and improvement is ridiculous.
These users thanked the author letsbehonest for the post:
Dkdavis

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 27th, 2019, 8:01 am

letsbehonest wrote:The crowd was an improvement which is the good news. Saturday is a sellout so hopefully even more students show up. For majority of students they will come to basketball games when it becomes the social scene on campus.

Don't understand the need to complain about the students after last night when there was marked improvement. Talking about selling those seats when there were plenty of empty seats throughout the stadium. Now if on Saturday at 10 minutes before tip if there are 1,000+ student seats still available by all means sell them. The thought that we as a fan base can't celebrate small victories and improvement is ridiculous.
That’s what I think. Don’t knock on improvement. It’s not going to happen over night if it happens at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post:
Dkdavis

GreenAg

Post by GreenAg » February 27th, 2019, 8:13 am

I was at the game last night and thought the Hurd was INCREDIBLE. Kudos to everyone who showed up and energized the place. Best atmosphere I've experienced at a basketball game in years, including many Jazz games. Saturday could be even better.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 27th, 2019, 8:20 am

It's been almost a decade since the basketball team was truly noteworthy. The heyday of the Spectrum crowds were due to over ten years + of dominating play. It will take more than just four good months of basketball to engender continued excitement where students plan their activities around the next home game rather than vice versa.

Maybe we can be happy with a good season that will lay the foundation for even greater future success both team and fanwise.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 27th, 2019, 8:29 am

tinplater wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 6:47 am
I watched on CBSSports from Arizona. I have NEVER heard so much praise heaped upon the "building" as the two talking heads did. Over and over they credited the crowd and home field advantage. You could tell they were absolutely amazed at the Hurd. Visually the kids, the face and animal placards (I loved the fish swimming in the end zone and Mr. Bean) had a huge impact upon the appearance of the crowd on TV. To me it was amazing. And I would guess they referenced the upcoming game with Nevada and what the crowd would be like a dozen or more times. I personally have never witnessed a broadcast like that.
Agreed. During the first half especially, they were shouting into their microphones because they couldn't hear themselves. You can also hear them pause when a chant starts in order to decipher what they're saying. On TV, it looked and sounded great. Hopefully it carries over for the game against Nevada, and improves.

Aggies All the Way!

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 27th, 2019, 9:36 am

While there may have only been 2,700 or so Student IDs swiped, there were much more than that there. When I entered the south concourse with my "e-ticket", the scanners were down and they were letting people in, including me with my "e-tickets" that went unscanned. The student section was pretty darn full by halftime by my estimation.

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » February 27th, 2019, 9:42 am

Is there any way to get the game broadcast if you didn't record it? I was at the game and would love to hear what the announcers were saying!

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 27th, 2019, 9:43 am

Winning Team wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 9:42 am
Is there any way to get the game broadcast if you didn't record it? I was at the game and would love to hear what the announcers were saying!
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=48802

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 27th, 2019, 9:50 am

TrueAggieman wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:16 am
You do realize basketball isn’t the most important thing in life, right?
You can take that attitude and go straight to h#ll.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » February 27th, 2019, 9:53 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 9:43 am
Winning Team wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 9:42 am
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=48802
Thank you!

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » February 27th, 2019, 10:36 am

ChicAggie wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 9:50 am
TrueAggieman wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:16 am
You do realize basketball isn’t the most important thing in life, right?
You can take that attitude and go straight to h#ll.
Alright! Maybe I’ll see you there 😘
These users thanked the author TrueAggieman for the post:
GUS

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 27th, 2019, 10:43 am

TrueAggieman wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 10:36 am
Alright! Maybe I’ll see you there 😘
:devil: :cheers: :devil:

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Blue23

Post by Blue23 » February 27th, 2019, 12:03 pm

20Trae wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:52 am
Blue23 wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:43 am
USUBlue wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:17 am
I’m sorry, but you kinda sound like jocks from high school.. always talking about “the glory days” spectrum was the most full it’s been in a while for a non rival weeknight game. People are excited why you gotta be downers?
Not at all. No downer at all -- the game was great, so was the coach. But do we really need to pat the "kids" on the back for "showing up" in slightly above average numbers. I'll be there Saturday with several others -- the question is will you and can you bring some extra friends that don't usually come.
Turns out that if you celebrate the students and make them feel like they were an integral part of the process, then they are motivated and excited to be there. So yes, we need to count this as a great step in the right direction, be happy about it, and continue to work on getting more people there. Maybe the spectrum won't immediately change to be like it was but tonight was fantastic and is way better than what we've had for 3 years, so I'll take what we can get.
I agree with this 99%, except for the part about "the spectrum will never be what it was". For years we complained that we never played anyone, we were in the Big West with the California schools, then the WAC, where the dream was always the Mountain West. Now we've made it where we have a solid opponent week in and week out, that we would have killed to play in the past. The fact that we are playing San Diego State on our home court and not UC Riverside is a complete miracle. True, our generation of students doesn't remember that, but we need to do better if we expect to stay at the top tier of the MW. We have a top tier coach, players that have developed into top tier, and we can't sit here and say, "the crowd is different, it'll never be top tier again". Instead of accepting the inevitable, I think we need to come up with something to increase attendance week in and week out. I don't have all the answers, but accepting defeat is not the Craig Smith Mentality
Good point, I fixed it. We're on the right track and I hope we keep it up.
These users thanked the author Blue23 for the post:
20Trae

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 27th, 2019, 12:31 pm

USUblue, You've proven right and spot in many areas in the past. This is one I just cannot agree with however.

This is not the time to be negative. I am looking at last night's game as an independent stand alone event.

Were the students loud? YES
Were the students crazy & original? YES
Was the spectrum an awesome environment last night? YES
Did we see a great performance by the basketball team? YES
Was the game fun? YES!

Given all of that, I see the student section last night as a resounding success and thank them for their efforts. I'm happy to pat them on the back for their efforts last night.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
bigblue

snoel

Post by snoel » February 27th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Backoff the students. The students who attended the SDSU game brought it. They were on fire and did a great job representing the Spectrum. Certainly more could have attended, but the basketball culture has been off the past 5 years. You don't get it back in one season. Attendance at college basketball (and football) games appears to be down all over the country. In fact, even Duke noticed a drop in undergraduates attending as averaged over the entire season and opens up empty student seats to the general public if they don't fill-in. The general public then fills those seats to create a sell out for every game. Accordingly, it'd be nice to see the Cache Valley public fill the stadium. Attendance, both from the public and students, will increase as the team becomes better and plays for championships. Maybe that shouldn't matter, but it does, and not just at Utah State. If Duke finished in 7th place in the ACC every year for 5 years, I think its attendance would suffer, too. Regardless, I was at the game. The students who attended were influential in the win. No doubt about it.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 27th, 2019, 5:22 pm

I think people are also overlooking the Tinder effect on student attendance at Aggie games. In years prior, on a cold Logan night, the best prospects for getting laid meant you had to attend the basketball game. And while the ROI was inevitably 0%, there was always that hope. Nowadays, kids don't even need to leave the apartment for those same odds.

TheSauerkrautKid

Post by TheSauerkrautKid » February 27th, 2019, 5:55 pm

It's been far too long since Blue made a thread all about himself.

TheSauerkrautKid

Post by TheSauerkrautKid » February 27th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Student crowd was fantastic. It was obvious during the game, it was made clear by commentators and coaches, players and media from both teams. You can continue trying to win your respective pissing contests on an internet forum, doesnt make you any less wrong.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 6:02 pm

TheSauerkrautKid wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 5:55 pm
It's been far too long since Blue made a thread all about himself.
Actually it looks like you’re making it about me. It was a great game, great efforts, great players, great coaches, and the best 2,700 student crowd of the year. Now go back to letting me live in your head rent free

TheRealTO

Post by TheRealTO » February 27th, 2019, 6:55 pm

USUBlue wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

A few items to note...

The card swipers had issues last night and those in charge of events who have experience gauging crowd size estimated there were between 2,800 and 3,000 students there. We know there were more than 200 students who's cards were declined and they either had to purchase tickets and get reimbursed or sneak in.

Also it's midterms this week. I have some students with 6 tests this week and they had to study. I challenged them all to attend the game, but can't fault them for midterm stress. It's also elections week on campus and many involved students were busy with that. None of that will be an issue Saturday.

Finally... When was the last time (prior to Saturday) that non student seats sold out? The students are as excited about this game as the rest of the valley. Give them a chance to show up.
These users thanked the author TheRealTO for the post:
bigblue

garyismyhomeboy

Post by garyismyhomeboy » February 27th, 2019, 7:07 pm

TheRealTO wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 6:55 pm
USUBlue wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

A few items to note...

The card swipers had issues last night and those in charge of events who have experience gauging crowd size estimated there were between 2,800 and 3,000 students there. We know there were more than 200 students who's cards were declined and they either had to purchase tickets and get reimbursed or sneak in.

Also it's midterms this week. I have some students with 6 tests this week and they had to study. I challenged them all to attend the game, but can't fault them for midterm stress. It's also elections week on campus and many involved students were busy with that. None of that will be an issue Saturday.

Finally... When was the last time (prior to Saturday) that non student seats sold out? The students are as excited about this game as the rest of the valley. Give them a chance to show up.
I think it was a few years ago. San Diego St. The Hurd hasn't sold out even longer. If there are seats available to sell in student sections, i'd rather take a guarantee of fans than the fickle students.

Can we not sell X amount by Saturday morning and then give the rest to the Hurd? Or find a magic number since students haven't sold out????

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 27th, 2019, 7:48 pm

I have heard that general admission tickets in the student section will go on sale at tipoff for any unfilled seats. In general I'm not in favor of selling the student seats to the general public, but I'm definitely in favor of selling them if the students can't get there by tipoff.

I think this is a great idea and I hope the students all show up to make it a moot point. I think there's a decent chance that happens.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 10:05 pm

treesap32 wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 7:48 pm
I have heard that general admission tickets in the student section will go on sale at tipoff for any unfilled seats. In general I'm not in favor of selling the student seats to the general public, but I'm definitely in favor of selling them if the students can't get there by tipoff.

I think this is a great idea and I hope the students all show up to make it a moot point. I think there's a decent chance that happens.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I heard it from the ticket office yesterday Sap. Waiting until the game starts won’t work. If you’re going to sell tickets, they’ll have to do it at least a half an hour early. So for the students that care, get there early

Locked Previous topicNext topic