Nice job students/Hurd!!!

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Nice job students/Hurd!!!

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 26th, 2019, 11:05 pm

I think some praise for the student section deserves it's own thread. The students absolutely brought it. They were creative, loud, and awesome. It felt like a party again.

Hopefully on Saturday that remaining 500-1000 students that aren't showing up come and the corner turns into people standing and is part of the student section again.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttsneed

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Re: Nice job students/Hurd!!!

Post by TheAKAggie » February 26th, 2019, 11:08 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:I think some praise for the student section deserves it's own thread. The students absolutely brought it. They were creative, loud, and awesome. It felt like a party again.

Hopefully on Saturday that remaining 500-1000 students that aren't showing up come and the corner turns into people standing and is part of the student section again.
The razzing Mitchell earned had me chuckling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » February 26th, 2019, 11:41 pm

MVP

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 26th, 2019, 11:59 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 11:05 pm
I think some praise for the student section deserves it's own thread. The students absolutely brought it. They were creative, loud, and awesome. It felt like a party again.

I disagree. The student section had about 2,600 cards swiped. The corners are dead and even the main sections don't get to the top with students. So I'd sell 500 of their tickets -- they won't have 4,000 cards swiped on Saturday. Nothing special tonight -- 8,200 whatever.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » February 27th, 2019, 12:05 am

USUBlue wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I disagree. The student section had about 2,600 cards swiped. The corners are dead and even the main sections don't get to the top with students. So I'd sell 500 of their tickets -- they won't have 4,000 cards swiped on Saturday. Nothing special tonight -- 8,200 whatever.
Wow, you must be fun at parties.

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post (total 2):
bigbluedonlarson8

Hail Aggies!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 27th, 2019, 12:08 am

USUBlue wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 11:59 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

If true I agree, they've not proven that those seats will be used we may as well sell the seats and fill up the stadium. Teach the students that if they won't use the seats, they'll lose them.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 12:12 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:05 am
USUBlue wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I have great parties AK; always have -- you haven't been invited . . . yet. Lots of fun, lots of people, but I know what a great student section can be and tonight was slightly above average. In talking with the AD's office, the students have not had more than 2,400 cards swiped at any game this year (not counting tonight). They can do better, and the companies that got tickets with their donations / advertising need to give the tickets to people that will show up. I'm not a big fan of average -- this team is exceptional, Smith is exceptional, the crowd not exceptional. Let's see if Saturday is better, but if I'm athletics I'm selling stand-by tickets to fill in for the students that aren't showing up.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » February 27th, 2019, 12:12 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:08 am
USUBlue wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

If true I agree, they've not proven that those seats will be used we may as well sell the seats and fill up the stadium. Teach the students that if they won't use the seats, they'll lose them.
Only 8200???? Weak. I wasn’t there but had heard that the place was packed and loud. 8200 was once considered a very disappointing crowd. I’m surprised we are all excited about leaving 1800 seats unoccupied. Mostly students. They need to step it up.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 12:14 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

On my way to Pauni to get a great rice bowl, I noticed about 50 students coming in just before half. Seriously, the game starts at 7:30 and you meander your way to Spectrum at 8:25. Wow, great effort, not to mention another 1,400 or so students that didn't bother showing up at all.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » February 27th, 2019, 12:16 am

Haha this is extremely nit picky. You’re getting mad at students for coming at halftime? You do realize basketball isn’t the most important thing in life, right? There are many reasons these people could have been late, and I’m glad they came!
These users thanked the author TrueAggieman for the post:
bigblue

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 27th, 2019, 12:17 am

I’m sorry, but you kinda sound like jocks from high school.. always talking about “the glory days” spectrum was the most full it’s been in a while for a non rival weeknight game. People are excited why you gotta be downers?

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 27th, 2019, 12:17 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

As if the non-student seats ever fill up lately? Not even in football either... The students pay for those seats whether they attend or not, and when we are good again it will be full

PS this is a great example of why people got annoyed when people like Blue bad mouth the team/program the last few years. The negative (I can't express myself without swearing) is carrying over to a year that we are 22-6! Maybe if people didn't abandon ship so hard and spread a bunch of negative attitude towards the bball program during a few mediocre seasons it wouldnt be so difficult to fill it up when we are actually good again?
Last edited by MetsJetsAggies on February 27th, 2019, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 27th, 2019, 12:18 am

Before our game tonight I spent the day at the 5A High School State Tournament. I was floored by how few students were there. Olympus was the only school that had a good student showing. There were schools that didn't bring more than 20-30 kids. When I was in High School going to the state tournament we packed that place. This generation just doesn't appreciate sports and they apparently have better things to do. Tonight's crowd was the largest student crowd that I've seen in a very long time (probably not as large as BYU last year) but it could still use some work. Hopefully Saturday is at another level.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
bigblue

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 12:20 am

Chatman wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:12 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Only 8200???? Weak. I wasn’t there but had heard that the place was packed and loud. 8200 was once considered a very disappointing crowd. I’m surprised we are all excited about leaving 1800 seats unoccupied. Mostly students. They need to step it up.
Like I said Exceptional Team, Exceptional Coach, weak students. I say we remodel the Spectrum with luxury boxes, repour the concrete to give wider rows and better / wider seats. We'd lose about 1,500 seats and let the students have the 2,500 that would be left. If they don't use and value them, let's build something else.

In fairness to the attendance number, it's become obvious to me and I believe that Ahbye stated that they are just counting actual attendance now, not tickets sold plus cards swiped. In prior years, tonight's attendance would have been announced as 9,300 plus. So all those season ticket holders and business that don't use their seats are starting to hurt our attendance numbers.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 12:22 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:17 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

As if the non-student seats ever fill up lately? Not even in football either... The students pay for those seats whether they attend or not, and when we are good again it will be full

PS this is a great example of why people got annoyed when people like Blue bad mouth the team/program the last few years. The negative s*** is carrying over to a year that we are 22-6! Maybe if people didn't abandon ship so hard and spread a bunch of negative attitude towards the bball program during a few mediocre seasons it wouldnt be so difficult to fill it up when we are actually good again?
Not bad mouthing anything about the game MJA -- great effort, great team, great coach, but I'm not giving participation trophies to a student section that was about 65% full. Sorry, but the truth is the students have been weak for years and this year, and this game, was no exception. I expect a better effort from the students the last game of the year as usual, especially with Nevada coming.

Maybe if people had higher expectations, we wouldn't have lived with Duryea for 3 years. Demand more MJA -- I bought an extra 8 tickets tonight just to add to the environment. If each student would get 1 extra of their friends to come -- it would be full.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 12:27 am

TrueAggieman wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:16 am
Haha this is extremely nit picky. You’re getting mad at students for coming at halftime? You do realize basketball isn’t the most important thing in life, right? There are many reasons these people could have been late, and I’m glad they came!
I didn't say BBall was the most important; I said the students were slightly above average. No reason to praise that -- unless you think they should all get participation trophies for showing up.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 27th, 2019, 12:28 am

Like I said maybe don't bad mouth every aspect of the program incessantly for 3 straight years if you don't want apathy to spread throughout an entire generation of students.

We were stuck with Duryea for 3 years minimum no matter what because we weren't paying 2 coaches for that long. Also demand more? How about don't jump ship during a few bad years so quickly? That's what is killing the crowds this year, obviously it's not the performance of the team

rAggie

Post by rAggie » February 27th, 2019, 12:28 am

USUBlue wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:20 am

Like I said Exceptional Team, Exceptional Coach, weak students. I say we remodel the Spectrum with luxury boxes, repour the concrete to give wider rows and better / wider seats. We'd lose about 1,500 seats and let the students have the 2,500 that would be left. If they don't use and value them, let's build something else.

In fairness to the attendance number, it's become obvious to me and I believe that Ahbye stated that they are just counting actual attendance now, not tickets sold plus cards swiped. In prior years, tonight's attendance would have been announced as 9,300 plus. So all those season ticket holders and business that don't use their seats are starting to hurt our attendance numbers.
I agree with this concept. I think the best alternative to the "Spectrum of the future" is to build suites along the top where the concourse sits today, put in luxury seating along the north and south sides the first 5-7 rows, and give the students the area behind the basket and the corner. If it got into a negotiation I'd let the students keep one section on the south side (the section just west of the band) but the middle section on the south side should become seating that people willing to pay for will pay for, essentially creating a second "A" section on the south side like the one on the north.

Of course, the biggest challenge with any of these plans is there is a stupid cemetery on one side, a heating plant on another, and administrative offices on another that limit the ability to expand the concourses as needed for egress.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 27th, 2019, 12:29 am

USUBlue wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:22 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

PS this is a great example of why people got annoyed when people like Blue bad mouth the team/program the last few years. The negative s*** is carrying over to a year that we are 22-6! Maybe if people didn't abandon ship so hard and spread a bunch of negative attitude towards the bball program during a few mediocre seasons it wouldnt be so difficult to fill it up when we are actually good again?
Not bad mouthing anything about the game MJA -- great effort, great team, great coach, but I'm not giving participation trophies to a student section that was about 65% full. Sorry, but the truth is the students have been weak for years and this year, and this game, was no exception. I expect a better effort from the students the last game of the year as usual, especially with Nevada coming.

Maybe if people had higher expectations, we wouldn't have lived with Duryea for 3 years. Demand more MJA -- I bought an extra 8 tickets tonight just to add to the environment. If each student would get 1 extra of their friends to come -- it would be full.
@USUBLUE why you gotta put a bitter taste in people’s mouths after a fun win? Obviously the people on this forum are the dedicated ones. I guess pessimists gotta troll right...

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 12:31 am

Dkdavis wrote:
I’m sorry, but you kinda sound like jocks from high school.. always talking about “the glory days” spectrum was the most full it’s been in a while for a non rival weeknight game. People are excited why you gotta be downers?
Not at all. No downer at all -- the game was great, so was the coach. But do we really need to pat the "kids" on the back for "showing up" in slightly above average numbers. I'll be there Saturday with several others -- the question is will you and can you bring some extra friends that don't usually come.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 27th, 2019, 12:31 am

Bad mouths players and coach for 3 straight years incessantly. Surprised when casual fans easily influenced by word of mouth don't show up 1 year immediately after said bad mouthing, even for a 22-6 tourney caliber team with a future NBA player.

Astonishing lack of self awareness honestly

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 12:34 am

Dkdavis wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:29 am
USUBlue wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:22 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

@USUBLUE why you gotta put a bitter taste in people’s mouths after a fun win? Obviously the people on this forum are the dedicated ones. I guess pessimists gotta troll right...
Your being ridiculous DK -- if you have a bitter taste that's on you. I'm just not giving out participation trophies to a slightly above average student section. I'm from Logan; I'm a USU grad; I've travelled thousands of miles for decades watching Aggie games. Sorry if I'm not impressed with students that can't get enough of their friends to travel a few blocks to watch a great game, a great team, and a great coach for free. If we want to keep Smith in Logan for the long haul -- show up to the damn games Aggies.

20Trae

Post by 20Trae » February 27th, 2019, 12:37 am

USUBlue wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I have great parties AK; always have -- you haven't been invited . . . yet. Lots of fun, lots of people, but I know what a great student section can be and tonight was slightly above average. In talking with the AD's office, the students have not had more than 2,400 cards swiped at any game this year (not counting tonight). They can do better, and the companies that got tickets with their donations / advertising need to give the tickets to people that will show up. I'm not a big fan of average -- this team is exceptional, Smith is exceptional, the crowd not exceptional. Let's see if Saturday is better, but if I'm athletics I'm selling stand-by tickets to fill in for the students that aren't showing up.
I'm a student, and honestly I agree with this. I've tried everything under the sun, I swear all I talk about is Aggie bball and try getting people to the games. I post on Facebook, send out a mass text, good hell I even paid my little sister to go haha, but the students that want to go are there, and the rest flat out couldn't care less. I will keep trying, and there was definitely improvement, the HURD is improving, but if we can't fill 4000, we might as well sell them for the time being, make some money and pack the Spectrum

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 12:39 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:28 am
Like I said maybe don't bad mouth every aspect of the program incessantly for 3 straight years if you don't want apathy to spread throughout an entire generation of students.

We were stuck with Duryea for 3 years minimum no matter what because we weren't paying 2 coaches for that long. Also demand more? How about don't jump ship during a few bad years so quickly? That's what is killing the crowds this year, obviously it's not the performance of the team
You and I will never agree on Duryea -- I would have burned that ship to the ground at the end of the 2nd year. Garbage is garbage -- get rid of it sooner than later; it's going to stink until you do.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 12:42 am

20Trae wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:37 am
USUBlue wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I'm a student, and honestly I agree with this. I've tried everything under the sun, I swear all I talk about is Aggie bball and try getting people to the games. I post on Facebook, send out a mass text, good hell I even paid my little sister to go haha, but the students that want to go are there, and the rest flat out couldn't care less. I will keep trying, and there was definitely improvement, the HURD is improving, but if we can't fill 4000, we might as well sell them for the time being, make some money and pack the Spectrum
Thanks for your honesty; and good for you in making those efforts. Don't give up and see if you can get others to help network with you. Students nowdays are "social media" fools -- consistent efforts are not as important or rewarded as some "crazy new idea" on social media. Anyway, Go Aggies, especially those that show up on time with their friends.
Last edited by USUBlue on February 27th, 2019, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blue23

Post by Blue23 » February 27th, 2019, 12:43 am

USUBlue wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:31 am
Dkdavis wrote:
Not at all. No downer at all -- the game was great, so was the coach. But do we really need to pat the "kids" on the back for "showing up" in slightly above average numbers. I'll be there Saturday with several others -- the question is will you and can you bring some extra friends that don't usually come.
Turns out that if you celebrate the students and make them feel like they were an integral part of the process, then they are motivated and excited to be there. So yes, we need to count this as a great step in the right direction, be happy about it, and continue to work on getting more people there. Maybe the spectrum will never be like what it was, but tonight was fantastic and is way better than what we've had for 3 years, so I'll take what we can get.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 27th, 2019, 12:45 am

USUBlue wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:
I share every social media post, bring up Aggies to every person I talk to and shoot out a text to every person in my phone every game while I wait for 5 or more hours before every game even though I don’t have to. The only thing I could possibly do is approach strangers. I’m sorry if I’m not dedicated enough for you ha but in all honesty there’s been a ton of progress made and it’s being noted. No reason to try and take away a theoretical trophy. No hard though man! Glad your coming and bringing friends!

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 27th, 2019, 12:45 am

No hard feelings*

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 27th, 2019, 12:46 am

USUBlue wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:39 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

You and I will never agree on Duryea -- I would have burned that ship to the ground at the end of the 2nd year. Garbage is garbage -- get rid of it sooner than later; it's going to stink until you do.
It's not that I don't agree, it's that I was being realistic. Unless you or I were gonna pull out the check book and pay his salary for the university, it wasn't happening. I was all about supporting the players and team no matter what, you don't have to abandon the guys who represent the university with their hard work and time just because you don't like the coach. And it turns out a bunch of those guys are paying off nicely in Quinn, Porter, Bean, Brito, etc. If it were up to you (or at least up to your message board persona) they would have been out the door along with Duryea.

Duryea didn't work out, but the players I and others here didn't bad mouth/abandon are absolutely working out for us now

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 12:51 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Bad mouths players and coach for 3 straight years incessantly. Surprised when casual fans easily influenced by word of mouth don't show up 1 year immediately after said bad mouthing, even for a 22-6 tourney caliber team with a future NBA player.

Astonishing lack of self awareness honestly
Wow, I must live in your head MJA if you think that the students are influenced by me the past 3 years. No they were influenced by that lame (I can't express myself without swearing) coach and his boring team. The problem isn't solved by putting lipstick on a pig, but rather in talking straight and networking friends to the games. The students aren't networking well -- simple enough.

20Trae

Post by 20Trae » February 27th, 2019, 12:52 am

Blue23 wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:43 am
USUBlue wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:
Turns out that if you celebrate the students and make them feel like they were an integral part of the process, then they are motivated and excited to be there. So yes, we need to count this as a great step in the right direction, be happy about it, and continue to work on getting more people there. Maybe the spectrum will never be like what it was, but tonight was fantastic and is way better than what we've had for 3 years, so I'll take what we can get.
I agree with this 99%, except for the part about "the spectrum will never be what it was". For years we complained that we never played anyone, we were in the Big West with the California schools, then the WAC, where the dream was always the Mountain West. Now we've made it where we have a solid opponent week in and week out, that we would have killed to play in the past. The fact that we are playing San Diego State on our home court and not UC Riverside is a complete miracle. True, our generation of students doesn't remember that, but we need to do better if we expect to stay at the top tier of the MW. We have a top tier coach, players that have developed into top tier, and we can't sit here and say, "the crowd is different, it'll never be top tier again". Instead of accepting the inevitable, I think we need to come up with something to increase attendance week in and week out. I don't have all the answers, but accepting defeat is not the Craig Smith Mentality

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 12:54 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:46 am
USUBlue wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:39 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

It's not that I don't agree, it's that I was being realistic. Unless you or I were gonna pull out the check book and pay his salary for the university, it wasn't happening. I was all about supporting the players and team no matter what, you don't have to abandon the guys who represent the university with their hard work and time just because you don't like the coach. And it turns out a bunch of those guys are paying off nicely in Quinn, Porter, Bean, Brito, etc. If it were up to you (or at least up to your message board persona) they would have been out the door along with Duryea.

Duryea didn't work out, but the players I and others here didn't bad mouth/abandon are absolutely working out for us now
I didn't abandon anybody MJA; I bought my tickets, made my donations, and attended the games. And I will always cheer the good and boo the bad. Duryea was terrible -- should have fired him earlier. I feel sorry for the players that had to play for him and the fans that had to watch that nonsense.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » February 27th, 2019, 12:57 am

USUBlue wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:27 am
TrueAggieman wrote:
I didn't say BBall was the most important; I said the students were slightly above average. No reason to praise that -- unless you think they should all get participation trophies for showing up.
Actually called out 50 students who came to the game tonight:

“Seriously, the game starts at 7:30 and you meander your way to Spectrum at 8:25. Wow, great effort”

I’m not trying to argue, just saying that I don’t think the students who came late are the ones we should be criticizing... they have things going on in their lives, and it’s great that they made the effort to come when they could.

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 12:59 am

TrueAggieman wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:57 am
USUBlue wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:27 am
TrueAggieman wrote:
Actually called out 50 students who came to the game tonight:

“Seriously, the game starts at 7:30 and you meander your way to Spectrum at 8:25. Wow, great effort”

I’m not trying to argue, just saying that I don’t think the students who came late are the ones we should be criticizing... they have things going on in their lives, and it’s great that they made the effort to come when they could.
I don't, and I hope that if they come late to the Nevada game they won't be let in because the seats are all gone. The Spectrum environment, to be good, starts before the game. Half time is a waste -- stay home.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » February 27th, 2019, 1:02 am

USUBlue wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Well I disagree with your opinion that the total number of students is the meet all number that's most important. Is what is most important is the effort made by what students showed up. That is what is special! It's that craziest that made me a life long fan and a donor. It's infectious.

Honestly, this comment reminds me of a boss I use to work for. He would take out his frustrations on the workers that showed up because of being understaffed. That company had a very high employee turn over rate because of that negativity. Needless to say, I didn't work at that company very long for how toxic it was.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Locked Previous topicNext topic