More Craig Smith Please

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
918AGG

More Craig Smith Please

Post by 918AGG » March 15th, 2019, 10:45 am

Craig Smith is either an incredible con-man, or we have hit the jackpot of jackpots with this coach.

Exhibit Z: After the NM game, Craig Smith gives one of the most thoughtful and thorough post-game interviews that I've seen a college basketball coach give in a long time. He's candid and personal in the short interview, he understands what the big shot was, he gives a well-deserved nod to NM's defense, he casts blame on our team where it is due, gives praise to the kids where it is due, and he enthusiastically plugs Aggie nation... all while exhibiting an incredible amount of enthusiasm and grace under pressure. This dude gets it. He gets it all.

Couple that with the perfectly timed Brito talking-to in-game, the perfect use of a time out in a crucial possession with a few minutes left in a helter-skelter game, the perfect use of foul-troubled Sam Merrill down the stretch in a close game, and the very important use of the (maybe a bit too late?) out-of-bounds pass down the baseline to help break the press.

This guy is found money. Credit to Hartwell and Cockett for this A+ hire.

2018-2019 is this guy's FIRST YEAR as our head coach. Noodle on that one for a second. :scotsman:
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post (total 8):
Aggie in Boiseaggies22ChicAggieAggie_in_IdahonewtonianbluejpswensenAgMacOKAggie

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

Aggie in Boise

Re: More Craig Smith Please

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 15th, 2019, 10:51 am

Your post is spot on 918AGG!
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
aggies22

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 15th, 2019, 10:52 am

It really is amazing. I plan to sit back when it is all over and just ponder how amazing this whole year has been. It all started at the end of August and hasn't stopped. I never could have imagined this would be the case in my lifetime.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 15th, 2019, 11:01 am

I was really glad he didn't cave and take Merrill out when he got his 2nd foul. Most coaches would rely on the conventional wisdom and sit him for most, if not all, of the rest of the half which effectively fouls him out in terms of minutes lost.

To win a game in which the other team took 20 more shots than you did is pretty remarkable. Credit to Smith and the team for staying engaged.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 15th, 2019, 11:12 am

Well said.

Now for something else that needs to be said. Can we all please commit to supporting Coach Smith anyway possible rather than acting like jealous insecure girlfriends who constantly worry that he's going to leave us for the next best thing? It doesn't endear us to him any more to behave that way, in fact it does the opposite. The way to endear ourselves to him is to continue to support this program by packing the Spectrum, going to conference tournaments, traveling to NCAA tourney games, going to coach's shows and luncheons etc. The AD can do their part by increasing his pay, but the rest is up to us. But please, please, stop with the hand wringing and constantly questioning him and every member of his family about whether or not they're going to stay at Utah State.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
ChicAggieaggies22Staggerwing3

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » March 15th, 2019, 11:14 am

Intermeddler wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:01 am
I was really glad he didn't cave and take Merrill out when he got his 2nd foul. Most coaches would rely on the conventional wisdom and sit him for most, if not all, of the rest of the half which effectively fouls him out in terms of minutes lost.

To win a game in which the other team took 20 more shots than you did is pretty remarkable. Credit to Smith and the team for staying engaged.
Agreed. The know-nothing announcer last night kept harping on the fact that Merrill needed to go out (and perhaps he had a point as Merrill got his third foul with 50-something seconds left in the first half) - but I disagree with this for the reason that you mentioned.

Why concede an effective foul-out (minutes lost) in a close game when you don't know that he's going to foul out in the first place? I think that the only time where that's really defensible is where you are working with a habitual foul machine (Tai Wesley) and it's virtually certain that your guy will foul out if you leave him in, or if you're working with an ace in a close game and you want to ensure that your guy is available for a potential game winner (effectively conceding a foul-out, but shuffling the minutes around to have your ace available in crunch time).

But of course there are a million shades of gray... As an example, I agree with it if you're close to a substitution on a rotational player anyways - and you decide to pull the trigger and pull him out at the soonest dead ball just to be safe.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 15th, 2019, 11:23 am

They moved Sam to a different player for defense. That change, along with Sam being careful made Smith's call correct. We were in a dog fight and needed our best player to play.

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » March 15th, 2019, 11:35 am

918AGG wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:14 am
Intermeddler wrote:

Agreed. The know-nothing announcer last night kept harping on the fact that Merrill needed to go out (and perhaps he had a point as Merrill got his third foul with 50-something seconds left in the first half) - but I disagree with this for the reason that you mentioned.

Why concede an effective foul-out (minutes lost) in a close game when you don't know that he's going to foul out in the first place? I think that the only time where that's really defensible is where you are working with a habitual foul machine (Tai Wesley) and it's virtually certain that your guy will foul out if you leave him in, or if you're working with an ace in a close game and you want to ensure that your guy is available for a potential game winner (effectively conceding a foul-out, but shuffling the minutes around to have your ace available in crunch time).

But of course there are a million shades of gray... As an example, I agree with it if you're close to a substitution on a rotational player anyways - and you decide to pull the trigger and pull him out at the soonest dead ball just to be safe.
The commentator’s response to you (not that I agree with him, but just based on what I heard from him last night) would be that the game isn’t won or lost in the first half. He would say it’s better to sit a guy for five or ten minutes in the first half than the second half when it might matter more. :noidea:

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » March 15th, 2019, 11:37 am

918AGG wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

One of the most ballsy coaching moves I have ever seen was in the first round of the 1990 NCAA tournament, in Loyola-Marymount's very first game after Hank Gathers died. They were playing New Mexico State (remember Reggie Jordan?), and LMU's star Bo Kimble picked up his FOURTH foul with just under five minutes to go IN THE FIRST HALF. Coach Paul Westhead knew his team absolutely could not win the game without Kimble, so he left him in. It worked. Kimble finished with a Western Regional record 45 points, 33 in the second half. He scored 35 points after drawing his fourth foul and added a career-high 18 rebounds, willing LMU to a 111-92 victory after being tied at the half. Not only did Kimble play nearly the entire rest of the games with four fouls, but he did it while LMU moved to a trapping, aggressive defense in the second half. It was truly one of the most incredible basketball games I have ever seen. This was compounded by the emotion of Kimble honoring his fallen teammate by shooting his first free throw each game with his left hand. It makes me tear up just thinking about it.

So F those announcers. They don't know what the F they're talking about.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 5):
aggies22sam tingeyAggie_in_Idaho918AGGOKAggie

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » March 15th, 2019, 11:39 am

Blue42 wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:35 am
The commentator’s response to you (not that I agree with him, but just based on what I heard from him last night) would be that the game isn’t won or lost in the first half. He would say it’s better to sit a guy for five or ten minutes in the first half than the second half when it might matter more. :noidea:
Points scored and given up in the first half matter just as much as those in the second half. While I understand the rationale of letting your player cool down and making sure he is available in crunch time in a close game, I also understand why the coach of the conference player of the year who has played EVERY SINGLE MINUTE of the final four games of the season (out of necessity due to lack of team depth) and who trusts the player to play smart would keep him on the court.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 15th, 2019, 11:40 am

918AGG wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:45 am
Craig Smith is either an incredible con-man, or we have hit the jackpot of jackpots with this coach.

Exhibit Z: After the NM game, Craig Smith gives one of the most thoughtful and thorough post-game interviews that I've seen a college basketball coach give in a long time. He's candid and personal in the short interview, he understands what the big shot was, he gives a well-deserved nod to NM's defense, he casts blame on our team where it is due, gives praise to the kids where it is due, and he enthusiastically plugs Aggie nation... all while exhibiting an incredible amount of enthusiasm and grace under pressure. This dude gets it. He gets it all.

Couple that with the perfectly timed Brito talking-to in-game, the perfect use of a time out in a crucial possession with a few minutes left in a helter-skelter game, the perfect use of foul-troubled Sam Merrill down the stretch in a close game, and the very important use of the (maybe a bit too late?) out-of-bounds pass down the baseline to help break the press.

2018-2019 is this guy's FIRST YEAR as our head coach. Noodle on that one for a second. :scotsman:
And then make sure you donate and buy tickets to help keep him.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » March 15th, 2019, 11:42 am

ChicAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:39 am
Blue42 wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:35 am
Points scored and given up in the first half matter just as much as those in the second half. While I understand the rationale of letting your player cool down and making sure he is available in crunch time in a close game, I also understand why the coach of the conference player of the year who has played EVERY SINGLE MINUTE of the final four games of the season (out of necessity due to lack of team depth) and who trusts the player to play smart would keep him on the court.
Bingo. It was obvious that commentator didn’t know anything about Sam, and It was annoying how much he kept harping that point. I think all Aggie fans who have watched the team this year trusted Smith keeping Sam in 100%

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » March 15th, 2019, 2:51 pm

GeoAg wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:40 am
918AGG wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:45 am

And then make sure you donate and buy tickets to help keep him.
Your wish is my command.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 15th, 2019, 5:51 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:37 am
918AGG wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

One of the most ballsy coaching moves I have ever seen was in the first round of the 1990 NCAA tournament, in Loyola-Marymount's very first game after Hank Gathers died. They were playing New Mexico State (remember Reggie Jordan?), and LMU's star Bo Kimble picked up his FOURTH foul with just under five minutes to go IN THE FIRST HALF. Coach Paul Westhead knew his team absolutely could not win the game without Kimble, so he left him in. It worked. Kimble finished with a Western Regional record 45 points, 33 in the second half. He scored 35 points after drawing his fourth foul and added a career-high 18 rebounds, willing LMU to a 111-92 victory after being tied at the half. Not only did Kimble play nearly the entire rest of the games with four fouls, but he did it while LMU moved to a trapping, aggressive defense in the second half. It was truly one of the most incredible basketball games I have ever seen. This was compounded by the emotion of Kimble honoring his fallen teammate by shooting his first free throw each game with his left hand. It makes me tear up just thinking about it.

So F those announcers. They don't know what the F they're talking about.
Stew should have done that with wesley in 2011 against k state. When you are the underdog with your season on the line you shouldnt sit your best player.

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » March 15th, 2019, 8:26 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:12 am
Well said.

Now for something else that needs to be said. Can we all please commit to supporting Coach Smith anyway possible rather than acting like jealous insecure girlfriends who constantly worry that he's going to leave us for the next best thing? It doesn't endear us to him any more to behave that way, in fact it does the opposite. The way to endear ourselves to him is to continue to support this program by packing the Spectrum, going to conference tournaments, traveling to NCAA tourney games, going to coach's shows and luncheons etc. The AD can do their part by increasing his pay, but the rest is up to us. But please, please, stop with the hand wringing and constantly questioning him and every member of his family about whether or not they're going to stay at Utah State.
You'll have to be patient with us. The last girlfriend we had that we really liked had just gotten a tattoo of our face on her back and then bolted the day after. Sure she's back, and we are happy about it, but you can't fault us for being a little traumatized by the experience.
These users thanked the author NAggsty Butler for the post:
QuackAttackAggie

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » March 15th, 2019, 11:52 pm

NAggsty Butler wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:12 am
Well said.

You'll have to be patient with us. The last girlfriend we had that we really liked had just gotten a tattoo of our face on her back and then bolted the day after. Sure she's back, and we are happy about it, but you can't fault us for being a little traumatized by the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic