We have an open spot.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Re: We have an open spot.

Post by ineptimusprime » April 7th, 2019, 8:12 am

From that interview with Smith, it sounds like we are only adding one more so departures might be done.

Absolutely has to be a PG. I got the impression that the staff was still trying to decide what direction they were going in (guessing grad transfer/juco vs. freshman).

Personally, I’m hoping for a proven grad transfer since next year has a chance to be really special.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » April 7th, 2019, 1:02 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 8:12 am

Absolutely has to be a PG. I got the impression that the staff was still trying to decide what direction they were going in (guessing grad transfer/juco vs. freshman).
I would think so as well but it sounded to me like Smith was looking for a Guard and not limiting it to a PG. Maybe I read to much into him talking about the versatility of the current group. I interpreted that to mean if we get a combo guard that can play multiple positions including the point we would have the PG position covered between the new recruit, Sam, and Abel. I’m probably reading way too much into what he said.

IMO what we are lacking is a player that puts pressure on the defense to contain him and keep him out of the paint. I think Smith saw that need last year and was hoping one of the Knights would fill that roll, but it never materialized. Hopefully he doesn’t strike out on the third try. It sounds like they are really being choosy. Hopefully they can find another hidden gem.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 7th, 2019, 5:59 pm

We lost both Knights and Ainge. If we don’t pickup a PG and Abel gets injured during the season, we’d likely need to have Sam and Brito fill the role. With due respect to Sam and Brito, I’d really like to see us pickup an athletic PG via juco or grad transfer. Queta, Anderson, Bean, Groot, McChesney, Stall and/or Fakira on the inside, Merrill, Miller, Brito, Bairstow on the wings, with Abel and ? primarily at the point.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 7th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Pacobag wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 5:59 pm
We lost both Knights and Ainge. If we don’t pickup a PG and Abel gets injured during the season, we’d likely need to have Sam and Brito fill the role. With due respect to Sam and Brito, I’d really like to see us pickup an athletic PG via juco or grad transfer. Queta, Anderson, Bean, Groot, McChesney, Stall and/or Fakira on the inside, Merrill, Miller, Brito, Bairstow on the wings, with Abel and ? primarily at the point.
With another PG and/or combo guard, I really like that roster. Especially if we can get something out of even one of Groot, Stall, or Fakira.

The Cam Mack kid at SLCC that just got his release from St. John’s looks like the perfect fit from the video I’ve seen. Looks like he can get to the rim and is a good passer/finisher. Also has 3 years of eligibilty left, right?

SLB

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2019, 8:21 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 6:37 pm
Pacobag wrote:
With another PG and/or combo guard, I really like that roster. Especially if we can get something out of even one of Groot, Stall, or Fakira.

The Cam Mack kid at SLCC that just got his release from St. John’s looks like the perfect fit from the video I’ve seen. Looks like he can get to the rim and is a good passer/finisher. Also has 3 years of eligibilty left, right?
I think that Cam Mack should consider Utah State since we have a great basketball program. Our last season ended up with being a Top 25 team with NCAA tournement appreance, and Cam Mack has a chance to be a starter for us.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 7th, 2019, 8:34 pm

We need a point guard in the worst way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
oleblu111

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 7th, 2019, 8:35 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
Pacobag wrote:

Cam Mack isn’t coming to or even considering USU.

I strongly we agree, we have to add another guard to this team that is ready to be a strong contributor right away.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » April 7th, 2019, 8:36 pm

SLB wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 8:21 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
Pacobag wrote:

I think that Cam Mack should consider Utah State since we have a great basketball program. Our last season ended up with being a Top 25 team with NCAA tournement appreance, and Cam Mack has a chance to be a starter for us.
Would Cam Mack be able to play immediately? If so, I like him. If we wanted next season to be AMAZING, maybe a senior grad transfer would be better that has proven D1 talent, but for the long run, Cam Mack would be perfect. Could contribute next year and then be a key player in the next few years to come.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 7th, 2019, 8:40 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 8:36 pm
SLB wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Pacobag wrote:

Would Cam Mack be able to play immediately? If so, I like him. If we wanted next season to be AMAZING, maybe a senior grad transfer would be better that has proven D1 talent, but for the long run, Cam Mack would be perfect. Could contribute next year and then be a key player in the next few years to come.
Again, Cam Mack isn’t coming to USU.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 8:40 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 8:36 pm
SLB wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Pacobag wrote:

Again, Cam Mack isn’t coming to USU.
I did not say that Cam Mack is going to USU, but transfer players should strongly consider USU.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 8th, 2019, 10:01 am

I also think Cam Mack should come to USU

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 8th, 2019, 10:03 am

Yes, bring on Cam Mack. Pick up the phone Ste.... I mean.... Craig!
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
NVAggie

USUaggienation

Post by USUaggienation » April 8th, 2019, 8:48 pm

There's no way we don't sign Cam Mack. I'll bet my cardboard box on it!

Admittedly, this is the first time I've ever heard the name Cam Mack, but I'm feeling very confident about my school and our basketball program (and Cam Mack, who I've never seen play basketball).

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 8th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Several people in the twitter responses mention he might go to Logan (I know it is twitter). I don’t see how he would fit, but would make our 5 spot even better. Maybe he could play some 4? We need a pg though.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 8th, 2019, 9:00 pm

He could fit well because he has to sit out a year

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 8th, 2019, 9:09 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 9:00 pm

Are you sure? He has redshirted and played 3 years. (Granted he enrolled in January out of hs and redshirted.). He might be a grad transfer.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » April 8th, 2019, 9:15 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 9:09 pm
dyedblue wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 9:00 pm

Are you sure? He has redshirted and played 3 years. (Granted he enrolled in January out of hs and redshirted.). He might be a grad transfer.
Maybe Stall will transfer, and then he can replace him. Him and Neemias working together would be unstoppable. That would mean we would still have room to pick up a PG.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 8th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Nevermind, the first website I pulled up showed he was a sophomore. He was a junior

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » April 8th, 2019, 10:54 pm

Take a powder Who knows origin of that saying without google. Yeah we all cheat and look it up. So do I

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » April 9th, 2019, 5:28 am

How realistic of a shot do we have with Hammonds the PG out of Las Vegas?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 9th, 2019, 5:40 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
April 9th, 2019, 5:28 am
Maybe the better question is how realistic of a shot does he have to play here? He still hasn’t been offered. Also from the sound of thing could sat scores or grades be an issue. Overall though if we elect to go for a hs pg I think he’d be a good one to bring in.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 9th, 2019, 8:30 am

slcagg wrote:
April 9th, 2019, 5:40 am
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
April 9th, 2019, 5:28 am
Maybe the better question is how realistic of a shot does he have to play here? He still hasn’t been offered. Also from the sound of thing could sat scores or grades be an issue. Overall though if we elect to go for a hs pg I think he’d be a good one to bring in.
He looks like a good prospect, but I hope we don’t tie up our last roster spot with someone that isn’t academically qualified yet.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 9th, 2019, 12:48 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Several people in the twitter responses mention he might go to Logan (I know it is twitter). I don’t see how he would fit, but would make our 5 spot even better. Maybe he could play some 4? We need a pg though.
Jacye Johnson is a redshirt junior. Would he be a grad transfer? I do like the idea of having Johnson and Queta playing at the same time.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 11th, 2019, 12:47 am

Dead period ends today at noon, so maybe we start to hear something?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 11th, 2019, 7:21 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 12:47 am
I know I've been saying this a lot but I'll see what I can find out. It has been EXTREMELY tight-lipped for the last three weeks or so.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 11th, 2019, 7:26 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 7:21 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
I know I've been saying this a lot but I'll see what I can find out. It has been EXTREMELY tight-lipped for the last three weeks or so.
100% speculating....maybe their is something up their sleeve that they are keeping silent for a reason.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 11th, 2019, 7:28 am

slcagg wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 7:26 am
aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
100% speculating....maybe their is something up their sleeve that they are keeping silent for a reason.
I think you are a lot closer than you think.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 11th, 2019, 9:01 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 7:28 am
slcagg wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 7:26 am
aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
I think you are a lot closer than you think.
Could be that -- my speculation is that they've been waiting to see what the full free agent market (i.e. grad transfers) looks like before diving into things. A lot of grad transfers take their sweet time in signing.

Would be nice if they already had something planned too though.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » April 11th, 2019, 9:21 am

Jaevin Cumberland, a grad transfer from Oakland, just announced he is transferring. He has some great stats and has got quite a few assists.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... cumberland

GUS

Post by GUS » April 11th, 2019, 11:08 am

Stall is not going anywhere. His sister is coming to USU to play volleyball. Stall will be evaluated over the summer. Please quit talking about him transfering. His plans are to play at USU.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » April 11th, 2019, 11:59 am

GUS wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 11:08 am
Stall is not going anywhere. His sister is coming to USU to play volleyball. Stall will be evaluated over the summer. Please quit talking about him transfering. His plans are to play at USU.
Glad to hear, he is full of potential if he can get his body right. I am hoping he can. I wonder if he could play the 4. Scoring on us in the paint would be nearly impossible with him and Quetta on the floor together. He could carve out a nice roll backing up Quetta and playing some 4.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 11th, 2019, 12:08 pm

GUS wrote:
I'm not saying anything about Stall as a person or his commitment to USU, but I think it's a valid conversation on a fan message board to discuss whether or not Stall will continue to play basketball with the injuries he has had. I probably would not continue to play. Of course, I'm a foot shorter than him, so my perspective is at least that much different.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Madmartigan

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 11th, 2019, 12:59 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 12:08 pm
Of course, I'm a foot shorter than him, so my perspective is at least that much different.
Yeah. He can see the dust on the top of the fridge standing flat-footed; you can't.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

SLB

Post by SLB » April 11th, 2019, 1:06 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 12:08 pm
GUS wrote:
I'm not saying anything about Stall as a person or his commitment to USU, but I think it's a valid conversation on a fan message board to discuss whether or not Stall will continue to play basketball with the injuries he has had. I probably would not continue to play. Of course, I'm a foot shorter than him, so my perspective is at least that much different.
I am for one have been someone who believes that Stall's injuries are bad in playing basketball (in the last few years - two ACL tears and a season ending back injury). Stall's talent is great and was in my opinion on the verge to going to a PAC 12 school before the injuries started.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 11th, 2019, 1:31 pm

LOL

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Locked Previous topicNext topic