Hot Take: Brito should start at Guard

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Hot Take: Brito should start at Guard

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 22nd, 2020, 9:40 am

I think Brito should start at PG. He has been in a massive funk compared to his play last season and the start of this season. This is nothing against Abel, but I based off what we saw last night I think Brito seemed a lot more comfortable in that role than the '6th man coming off the bench' role.

I think it could help mix things up for Brito and get him back to playing at a higher level again. Which is something we really need to have happen.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on January 22nd, 2020, 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 3):
hipsterdoofus21aggies22WannabeAgAlum

Real Life Aggie

Re: Hot Take: Brito should start at PG

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 22nd, 2020, 9:46 am

Barring my previously proposed idea of Kuba PG, I could get behind this as a Plan B.

Plan A - Abel
Plan B - Brito

I know Brito hasn't been looking so good recently, but he has a lot of strengths. In particular, I like watching his intensity. There have been many games this season when he's been in at the end and has defensively stiffled the opposition. I believe that even includes two excellent, game-winning steals. If letting him take the reigns for a bit at PG can bring more of that to the table (and maybe help adjust his shooting slump), I'm 100% behind it.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » January 22nd, 2020, 9:49 am

my only problem with that is that i don't think he handles the ball very well. when he gets pressured, he is late to recognize it and then he is kind of in panic mode and loses the ball or almost loses it. the other thing, i think, is that if a ref really wanted to call a carry, they could every time he brings the ball up slow. he wraps his hand underneath the ball to dribble it. i think he was called for it once in one of our earlier games.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 22nd, 2020, 9:55 am

tipitup wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 9:49 am
my only problem with that is that i don't think he handles the ball very well. when he gets pressured, he is late to recognize it and then he is kind of in panic mode and loses the ball or almost loses it. the other thing, i think, is that if a ref really wanted to call a carry, they could every time he brings the ball up slow. he wraps his hand underneath the ball to dribble it. i think he was called for it once in one of our earlier games.
Haha. I've noticed the exact same thing. I couldn't believe he didn't get called for palming last night with how bad a few of them were.
To negate the ball handling though I think Merrill can help with the ball handling duties.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 22nd, 2020, 9:57 am

I wouldn’t switch anything up. Abel has done a pretty good job handing the ball this season and does good against the press. It was mainly Brito and even Sam that had some careless turnovers at the end of that game. He has also become a more 3 point threat this season. If anything he should shoot the 3 ball more! However, he does not provide to much scoring threat outside of a few drives and some three point shots.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » January 22nd, 2020, 9:59 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 9:55 am
tipitup wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 9:49 am
Haha. I've noticed the exact same thing. I couldn't believe he didn't get called for palming last night with how bad a few of them were.
To negate the ball handling though I think Merrill can help with the ball handling duties.
agree on Merrill but like one of the other threads i want to see merrill come off of screens and hit open shots. i was screaming for this in the first half, then in the second half he had maybe 4 wide open shots off of screens. i keep remembering JC on how he would come off screens and just shoot it. Sam needs to be givin that same chance!!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 22nd, 2020, 11:18 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 9:57 am
I wouldn’t switch anything up. Abel has done a pretty good job handing the ball this season and does good against the press. It was mainly Brito and even Sam that had some careless turnovers at the end of that game. He has also become a more 3 point threat this season. If anything he should shoot the 3 ball more! However, he does not provide to much scoring threat outside of a few drives and some three point shots.
Losing 4 out of 5 going into last night is exactly the reason we should be looking to switch up anything. Brito playing in Porter's role seemed to bring out more of the offensive play we saw last year, and that's what we've been missing the most.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyChicAggie

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 22nd, 2020, 11:46 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 11:18 am
ThunderAggie wrote:
Losing 4 out of 5 going into last night is exactly the reason we should be looking to switch up anything. Brito playing in Porter's role seemed to bring out more of the offensive play we saw last year, and that's what we've been missing the most.
While I see where you are coming from, we had a similar lead to Boise State, who imo is a better team than AF and we played our normal rotation. Abel Porter had 10 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 assists. If anything that loss was more on Brito than Porter. I think we played better the 36 min of the Boise game than any point last night, so I don't think the rotation was the reason we lost 4 of the last 5 games. SDSU loss is forgivable and although BSU loss is unforgivable, there was really no need to switch things up after that game. Loss was more from team effort, strategy, and yes...even coaching.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 22nd, 2020, 11:53 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 11:46 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
While I see where you are coming from, we had a similar lead to Boise State, who imo is a better team than AF and we played our normal rotation. Abel Porter had 10 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 assists. If anything that loss was more on Brito than Porter. I think we played better the 36 min of the Boise game than any point last night, so I don't think the rotation was the reason we lost 4 of the last 5 games. SDSU loss is forgivable and although BSU loss is unforgivable, there was really no need to switch things up after that game. Loss was more from team effort, strategy, and yes...even coaching.
I guess you didn't even read my post and just jumped to assumptions. I said, #1) This has nothing to do with Porter's play and #2) Brito's poor play lately mixed with how much better he played last night is why I'm advocating for it.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 22nd, 2020, 12:03 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 11:53 am
ThunderAggie wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
I guess you didn't even read my post and just jumped to assumptions. I said, #1) This has nothing to do with Porter's play and #2) Brito's poor play lately mixed with how much better he played last night is why I'm advocating for it.
I guess I missed the first assumption cause it just seemed you were saying Brito played better than Porter last night and we had lost 4 out of the last 5 games, so we need to switch things up. I guess I was just saying that with our normal rotation vs Boise, we should have won by double digits, so there wasn't much of a need for switching Porter and Brito.

I do think we need some other rotation changes like limit Miller's time if he is struggling to make shots, and more Bairstow or Anderson, especially if they are not turning it over and contributing. It is hard having about 3 players that can take over and then a bunch of okay players.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 22nd, 2020, 12:42 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 11:53 am
ThunderAggie wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
This. Brito starting has more to do with finding his rhythm than placing blame on Porter. Besides, I also think it would be best to sit Porter for 2-3 weeks and get that back healed up for the stretch run than continue to run him out there hobbled and half strength.

jpswensen

Re: Hot Take: Brito should start at Guard

Post by jpswensen » January 22nd, 2020, 12:45 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 9:40 am
I think Brito should start at PG. He has been in a massive funk compared to his play last season and the start of this season. This is nothing against Abel, but I based off what we saw last night I think Brito seemed a lot more comfortable in that role than the '6th man coming off the bench' role.

I think it could help mix things up for Brito and get him back to playing at a higher level again. Which is something we really need to have happen.
That also keep him receiving inbound, rather than passing inbounds. I'm not sure how many TO he has handed away on inbounds this year, but they likely can't fit on two hands.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Locked Previous topicNext topic