Offensive Ineptitude

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Mr. Sneelock

Offensive Ineptitude

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 29th, 2020, 10:06 pm

I hate to bring this up after a few wins in a row, but has anyone else noticed that we tend to go on really long scoreless streaks nearly every game, but especially on the road? It is maddening.

In the first half at Wyoming, we went over 8 minutes without a FG. On the BSU game we went 10 min without a FG through the end of regulation and overtime. At AFA, we had 3 long stretches,the worst of which was nearly 8 minutes without a FG. Same story at UNLV (about 8 min).

Our home games aren't quite as bad, but we still tend to have stretches where we have a hard time scoring. Against CSU we went 5 min. Against Wyo and Nevada we had roughly 4 min stretches. we went nearly 5 minutes without scoring. Against SDSU we went 5 min in the first half.

Am I the only one who notices this? 2-4 minute stretches aren't necessarily uncommon for any team, but 8-10 minute stretches shouldn't happen. I have noticed that a lot of them happen toward the end of the first half. Is there a lineup change that could help with that part of the game?

Formerly TulsAGGIE

WannabeAgAlum

Re: Offensive Ineptitude

Post by WannabeAgAlum » January 29th, 2020, 10:12 pm

Yes, kinda frustrating. Halftime score was 25 to 16. In football it was 20 to 14. And I thought that was maddening.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 29th, 2020, 10:16 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 10:06 pm
I hate to bring this up after a few wins in a row, but has anyone else noticed that we tend to go on really long scoreless streaks nearly every game, but especially on the road? It is maddening.

In the first half at Wyoming, we went over 8 minutes without a FG. On the BSU game we went 10 min without a FG through the end of regulation and overtime. At AFA, we had 3 long stretches,the worst of which was nearly 8 minutes without a FG. Same story at UNLV (about 8 min).

Our home games aren't quite as bad, but we still tend to have stretches where we have a hard time scoring. Against CSU we went 5 min. Against Wyo and Nevada we had roughly 4 min stretches. we went nearly 5 minutes without scoring. Against SDSU we went 5 min in the first half.

Am I the only one who notices this? 2-4 minute stretches aren't necessarily uncommon for any team, but 8-10 minute stretches shouldn't happen. I have noticed that a lot of them happen toward the end of the first half. Is there a lineup change that could help with that part of the game?
I've noticed the same. It seems to be around when the lineup rotations start happening. There are times he takes out 3 starters and with Brito and Anderson struggling, that hurts. I remember one rotation, Merrill was the only starter on the floor and they had no trouble with guarding him on defense.

There are also stretches when it seems like we forget the offense, we stop passing, start jacking up threes early in clock.

Don't even get me started on the freaking turnovers.

Go Aggies!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 29th, 2020, 11:36 pm

We only have one guy who can consistently make shots.
Deliberately throwing the ball into Bean or Queta on post-ups would help. A ball to the block to a good post player is the basketball equivalent to giving the ball to a good RB between the tackles. It's reliable, and opens up other things.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 5):
FloridaAggie13BLUERUFiOReal Life Aggietreesap32scotlandog

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 30th, 2020, 5:41 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 10:06 pm

You definitely aren't the only one that's noticed. You've given a great breakdown my Aggie brother!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 30th, 2020, 11:11 am

Aggie19 wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 10:16 pm
There are also stretches when it seems like we forget the offense, we stop passing, start jacking up threes early in clock.
I believe that happens when some of our upper-classmen have flashbacks to their Duryea years.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Locked Previous topicNext topic