Attendance/Crowd

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

Attendance/Crowd

Post by Madmartigan » March 8th, 2020, 9:33 pm

Yesterday was one of the greatest days of my life. Mostly because I was able to see St. Merrill perform his miracles live. That said, the friends I was with and I were trying to figure out the split between Aggie fans and SDSU fans. We figured it was 4/1 maybe even 5/1 in favor of SDSU.

I was impressed with their crowd. Everybody cheered and was loud. We have always relied too heavily on our students to make noise while the season ticket holders mostly sit on their hands. Maybe we should all take up drinking to get louder?

We had a good crowd and I hope to see it grow in the years to come.

blueaggie

Re: Attendance/Crowd

Post by blueaggie » March 8th, 2020, 10:08 pm

I wish we could get more fans to the tournament. Back in the day when we played in the PCAA and Big West we would pack the arena although it was maybe half the size of T&M. I think the Disneyland appeal was the main factor. I wish we could get more people to the tournament and I wish the fans that do attend would be a little bit more excited during the game. Most of the Aggie crowd would fit in great at the opera. I don't think you have to stand very often and you are not supposed to make any noise. Thank goodness we have the student section and our players that can sometimes get our fans to show a little emotion. I noticed this fan apathy growing up and it hasn't changed much in fifty years. I'm not sure what the answer is. Congrats on the title and go Aggies! Make a deep run in the tournament. :utah: :state:

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » March 8th, 2020, 10:38 pm

It was a very solid USU crowd in attendance, Id say SDSU had 3 to 1. Here is how I would rank the teams crowds. Also I was super impressed with how Loud & Organized the SDSU Fans were, all of them did the I believe chant and all of their chants, it was impressive. Now, they are TOP 5 team most of year, so that helps, but we need to step it up a bit.

I attended all games this year at T&M. Here's how I would rank the fan bases in attendance.

1. SDSU by a bit

2. USU

3. NM

4. UNLV

5. Nevada

6. AF had like 70, WYO had 40 People Total, Boise had like 12 Total fans. there

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 9th, 2020, 12:10 am

SDS certainly had more fans but they were individually way louder and more raucous than Aggie fans. The students of both schools were equally loud but the SDS non-student fans buried the USU non-student fans.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 9th, 2020, 8:36 am

SDSU has a long history of performing well at the tourney and were an almost guaranteed winner going in this year. Plus it’s a close trip for SDSU. The longer we’re competing for championships down there the more Aggie fans will come.

SweepDance

Post by SweepDance » March 9th, 2020, 9:25 am

AggieSox wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 10:38 pm
It was a very solid USU crowd in attendance, Id say SDSU had 3 to 1. Here is how I would rank the teams crowds. Also I was super impressed with how Loud & Organized the SDSU Fans were, all of them did the I believe chant and all of their chants, it was impressive. Now, they are TOP 5 team most of year, so that helps, but we need to step it up a bit.

I attended all games this year at T&M. Here's how I would rank the fan bases in attendance.

1. SDSU by a bit

2. USU

3. NM

4. UNLV

5. Nevada

6. AF had like 70, WYO had 40 People Total, Boise had like 12 Total fans. there
Don't forget San Jose State. They had like 12 players and a few coaches in attendance.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 9th, 2020, 10:27 am

I’m guessing it was around 60/40 in favor of SDSU. No way it 5 or 4 to 1. Box score shows 10,292 in attendance, I would be really surprised if we were less than 4,200. I sat in a very mixed section, both fan bases were loud and into the game. Well except for the geriatric row of SDSU fans behind me, who kept telling everyone to sit down. Ha ha
My only complaint was our band needed to play The Scotsman more. USU fans were definitely louder the last minute of the game. :) I was proud of Aggie Nation I thought we had a great showing and we were loud.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 9th, 2020, 11:52 am

I was there, I would say 70-30. I was impressed with the SDSU turnout, but thought the Aggies turned out really well also. It was a very good showing for both schools as well as the conference.

FaKofa

Post by FaKofa » March 9th, 2020, 4:46 pm

We do rely on students to make noise. I attended the SDSU game in San Diego this year, the night they retired Kawhi Leonards jersey. It was electric for that circumstance. But there were many points during the game where the whole arena was standing and was loud!! I wish our season ticket holders would do that more!

One experience from this season still pisses me off. During the Boise State game I moved down to about the fifth row behind the Boise bench for the second half because I noticed no one was sitting in the seats. After a big moment down the stretch where Queta sent a shot into the stands I stood up and was cheering only to be tapped on the back by the person behind me telling me to "sit down, we don't stand in this section." Still pisses me off to this day.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » March 11th, 2020, 6:39 am

Madmartigan wrote:Yesterday was one of the greatest days of my life. Mostly because I was able to see St. Merrill perform his miracles live. That said, the friends I was with and I were trying to figure out the split between Aggie fans and SDSU fans. We figured it was 4/1 maybe even 5/1 in favor of SDSU.

I was impressed with their crowd. Everybody cheered and was loud. We have always relied too heavily on our students to make noise while the season ticket holders mostly sit on their hands. Maybe we should all take up drinking to get louder?

We had a good crowd and I hope to see it grow in the years to come.
Yeah, I was getting after @professorchaos for standing up and cheering in section A last home game. We don’t do that stuff there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » March 11th, 2020, 7:06 am

FaKofa wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 4:46 pm
We do rely on students to make noise. I attended the SDSU game in San Diego this year, the night they retired Kawhi Leonards jersey. It was electric for that circumstance. But there were many points during the game where the whole arena was standing and was loud!! I wish our season ticket holders would do that more!

One experience from this season still pisses me off. During the Boise State game I moved down to about the fifth row behind the Boise bench for the second half because I noticed no one was sitting in the seats. After a big moment down the stretch where Queta sent a shot into the stands I stood up and was cheering only to be tapped on the back by the person behind me telling me to "sit down, we don't stand in this section." Still pisses me off to this day.
I was talking with an SDSU fan down in Vegas and he was saying that a lot of San Diego’s fan base doesn’t come from alumni, but people wanting to support a good sporting team. As a result I think at USU we get a lot of older folks coming to the games who don’t like to stand up.

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » March 11th, 2020, 12:44 pm

FaKofa wrote:

Several years back when I was a student we were standing on the front row of Section L (student section) during one of the Christmas break games. An older man moved from his regular seat to sit about five rows up in that same section and started chirping at us to sit down. We told him that it was the student section and we had every right to stand and would continue doing so, to which he responded by whining some more and telling us how rude we were. Everyone cheers differently, I guess. :noidea:
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 11th, 2020, 12:55 pm

I heard all of our chants - it was great to hear, especially toward the end of the game after Queta's dunk

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 11th, 2020, 3:23 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 12:44 pm
FaKofa wrote:

Several years back when I was a student we were standing on the front row of Section L (student section) during one of the Christmas break games. An older man moved from his regular seat to sit about five rows up in that same section and started chirping at us to sit down. We told him that it was the student section and we had every right to stand and would continue doing so, to which he responded by whining some more and telling us how rude we were. Everyone cheers differently, I guess. :noidea:
Some just cheer better than others.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
aggieguy13

FaKofa

Post by FaKofa » March 11th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 7:06 am
FaKofa wrote:

I was talking with an SDSU fan down in Vegas and he was saying that a lot of San Diego’s fan base doesn’t come from alumni, but people wanting to support a good sporting team. As a result I think at USU we get a lot of older folks coming to the games who don’t like to stand up.

I noticed that while attending the game in SDSU. It was just a major buzz kill to an amazing game. And it wasn't like I was standing the entire game, that was the only time I stood up and it wasn't just me who stood up. Every row was standing up.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » March 11th, 2020, 3:54 pm

I stood up the majority of the championship game, and I loved it. I always stand up and cheer for big moments in the spectrum, but feel the need to sit down quickly, because there are plenty of really old people in the few rows behind me. I don't know a good compromise.. I wish everyone could stand the whole game and be loud, but to foster an environment for others who can't, I have to sit down much more than I want to.

I wonder if in the future they could specify 'standing' sections (maybe adjacent to the students as to not look weird) so people who want to be up and loud can do so and those behind them are expected to stand up as well by the nature of that section. Kind of a weird idea, just brainstorming.

AggieWinz

Post by AggieWinz » March 11th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Turtle wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 3:54 pm

I wonder if in the future they could specify 'standing' sections (maybe adjacent to the students as to not look weird) so people who want to be up and loud can do so and those behind them are expected to stand up as well by the nature of that section. Kind of a weird idea, just brainstorming.
I've actually had the same idea as well. USU should try to implement a standing section for season/regular ticket holders.
Hopefully that can change some the sit down and hardly cheer culture among non students who attend the game. There might be some controversy among long time season ticket holders who say "well that's always been our spot and we don't want to stand", but I believe the risk of upsetting those people could be worth the reward if it was handled right.

Locked Previous topicNext topic