Who else has almost forgotten

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

Who else has almost forgotten

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 10th, 2021, 5:32 pm

and yet can remember after being reminded what it is like to not be able to watch all of our away games in both sports, and have to listen to the radio, when we couldn't just find a stream of every football and basketball away game, or home games we couldn't make it to? When games against Utah and BYU were mostly what we would be able to watch on TV. When it was a big deal we would have an away game, in either sport, on TV, and still pretty exciting when a game would be shown tape delayed cause it was that or nothing. Today, we almost take for granted there being an available stream of every game, as well as the frequency, although still not that frequent, of national television appearances compared to the 2000's. And when highlights on the news was the ONLY way we got to see away game footage.

bill.george
Has thanked: 0

Re: Who else has almost forgotten

Post by bill.george » February 10th, 2021, 5:44 pm

I think Stadium does a great job on football and basketball. Watched Jordan Love go no huddle for 60 minutes a few years back and the game had no commercials. At the end of the game I thought I played 60 minutes, I was exhausted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 10th, 2021, 5:45 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 5:32 pm
and yet can remember after being reminded what it is like to not be able to watch all of our away games in both sports, and have to listen to the radio, when we couldn't just find a stream of every football and basketball away game, or home games we couldn't make it to? When games against Utah and BYU were mostly what we would be able to watch on TV. When it was a big deal we would have an away game, in either sport, on TV, and still pretty exciting when a game would be shown tape delayed cause it was that or nothing. Today, we almost take for granted there being an available stream of every game, as well as the frequency, although still not that frequent, of national television appearances compared to the 2000's. And when highlights on the news was the ONLY way we got to see away game footage.
Man, I remember in high school sitting up till like 10 for the football and basketball games to start on the radio for the Hawaii games. Watching these games is far and away the biggest blessing technology has brought into my life.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 10th, 2021, 5:45 pm

I can remember many a winter night when I first graduated sitting in my car in the driveway in Kaysville listening to the radio while Al called the games. I couldn't even get the station to come in clearly in the house - I had to listen in the car. Those were some cold nights.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
sstrasser

Eutaw St. Aggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 10th, 2021, 5:59 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 5:45 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 5:32 pm
Man, I remember in high school sitting up till like 10 for the football and basketball games to start on the radio for the Hawaii games. Watching these games is far and away the biggest blessing technology has brought into my life.
Same. Videobot is the GOAT.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 10th, 2021, 6:51 pm

Yossarian wrote:
I can remember many a winter night when I first graduated sitting in my car in the driveway in Kaysville listening to the radio while Al called the games. I couldn't even get the station to come in clearly in the house - I had to listen in the car. Those were some cold nights.
What Tom Brady is to NFL Quarterbacks, Al Lewis was to broadcasting. It just isn't the same without him.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » February 10th, 2021, 7:56 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 6:51 pm
Yossarian wrote:
What Tom Brady is to NFL Quarterbacks, Al Lewis was to broadcasting. It just isn't the same without him.
Interesting analogy.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 10th, 2021, 8:01 pm

Yossarian wrote:
This. If Tom Brady loved football and knew a lot about it but was terrible at his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 3):
AgliciousReal Life Aggieaggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 10th, 2021, 8:11 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 8:01 pm
Yossarian wrote:
This. If Tom Brady loved football and knew a lot about it but was terrible at his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And yet still better than Scottie G.

jwaggie

Post by jwaggie » February 10th, 2021, 8:14 pm

I'm listening to Al call the Logan-Sky View game and it brings back some great memories but I'll take Scotty G every day.

ususports

Post by ususports » February 10th, 2021, 8:26 pm

Who else had almost forgotten the last time there was an argument of who is better, Scotty G or Al, but remembers now after a couple of posts in this thread?
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
sstrasser

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 10th, 2021, 8:30 pm

I was going to add, I also remember the first time we ever got to watch one of our Big West away games on TV. It was in the 03-04 season which is best known as the snub year, when KJZZ picked up the feed of the California TV station broadcasting our games at Fullerton and Riverside, so we actually got to see how small those gyms were after having to visualize it prior to that. Even then, our Riverside game was broadcasted two hours tape delayed, with the broadcast starting about as the actual game was ending, but we didn't care at the time as that was better than we were used to. Later that year, the California stations would broadcast the KJZZ feed of the UC Riverside game in Logan.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » February 11th, 2021, 12:51 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Was that you making the noise I could hear when I was out in my car listening, or sometimes lying on the grass with a transistor radio? Mostly listened to football because the signal in Salt Lake was strong enough during the day, but couldn't get it at all at night.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
Yossarian

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » February 12th, 2021, 3:47 am

Growing up in Trenton I used to listen to the Aggie basketball with Read Andreason calling the play by play. I would intently listen and write down the baskets made and free throws made. I made my own stat sheet. Players like Hal Hale, Myron Long, Phil Johnson, Troy Collier, Mickey Dittebrand, Leroy Walker, and Wayne Estes. I remember it was like just yesterday. Why is it I can remember way back when, but struggle to remember just last week. I must be getting old! Forever an Aggie though!, All I can wish for in the next life is, please don’t let me be around a bunch of BYU nerds! That will be my Hell!
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post (total 3):
OKAggieslcaggmcaggie1

Locked Previous topicNext topic