NIT

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie702

NIT

Post by Aggie702 » March 1st, 2021, 1:27 pm

Yes, I know we all want an NCAA tourney bid, but as an FYI, it was announced today there will be a 16 team NIT tourney, with all games in Dallas Fort Worth area.

Given where we are on bubble, I would hope we get an NIT invite should we not make the tourney. Would love to see this team get some extra games in March...ideally in Indiana, but I'll take anything we can get.

Aggiealum13

Re: NIT

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 1st, 2021, 1:58 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 1:27 pm
Yes, I know we all want an NCAA tourney bid, but as an FYI, it was announced today there will be a 16 team NIT tourney, with all games in Dallas Fort Worth area.

Given where we are on bubble, I would hope we get an NIT invite should we not make the tourney. Would love to see this team get some extra games in March...ideally in Indiana, but I'll take anything we can get.
What makes this NIT interesting is that it will be all at-large bids. No automatic qualifiers. Under that criteria, USU should be a shoe-in if they don't get into the big dance as long as we don't have a bad loss.

https://thebarkingcrow.com/nit-bracketology/

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 1st, 2021, 1:59 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 1:27 pm

A top-seeded NIT team with stand by status for the NCAA Tournament would be acceptable:

https://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopi ... =6&t=56825

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 1st, 2021, 2:23 pm

Obviously the NCAA tourney is the goal, but a 16 team NIT will have big name bubble teams. It would definitely be an accomplishment to win it. Duke, Michigan State, Kentucky, Syracuse and Indiana could all be in the NIT. Hope we get in the real thing, but wouldn't be depressed over an NIT bid.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
ThunderAggie

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » March 1st, 2021, 2:55 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 2:23 pm
Obviously the NCAA tourney is the goal, but a 16 team NIT will have big name bubble teams. It would definitely be an accomplishment to win it. Duke, Michigan State, Kentucky, Syracuse and Indiana could all be in the NIT. Hope we get in the real thing, but wouldn't be depressed over an NIT bid.
Imagine beating a Kentucky and/or Indiana and then winning in the NIT championship vs someone like Duke. That would be crazy and help recruiting much more than a first round exit! But I still hope we make the tourney because I think we could make some noise and our guys can get national attention and potentially be a Cinderella team.
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » March 1st, 2021, 3:04 pm

I'm sorry guys I just don't see an invite coming our way for the NIT if we don't get the auto bid. The NIT this year is going to be the 16 teams that bring the biggest tv draw.

Edit - Just for kicks look at Syracuse. Similar net, no Q1 wins and bottom half of the ACC. NIT will take a team like that all day long over USU.
Last edited by pilotaggie on March 1st, 2021, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 1st, 2021, 3:07 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 2:55 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 2:23 pm
Imagine beating a Kentucky and/or Indiana and then winning in the NIT championship vs someone like Duke. That would be crazy and help recruiting much more than a first round exit! But I still hope we make the tourney because I think we could make some noise and our guys can get national attention and potentially be a Cinderella team.
Agree on everything you said.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » March 1st, 2021, 5:34 pm

If they are only having 16 teams for the NIT, there is no way we get in! The Aggie “shaft” is very real!

apo

Post by apo » March 1st, 2021, 7:12 pm

It’s March Madness... you need Cinderellas. They can’t all be big names.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » March 1st, 2021, 7:57 pm

If we don’t get into the NCAA I don’t see us getting into the NIT now that they shrunk it. Doesn’t CSU have a higher NET then us? If so they would get picked first if for some reason (BSU wins the MWC tourney) they don’t go dancing.

Where only sage brush grows

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 1st, 2021, 8:12 pm

I think people are making the mistake of assuming USU will be treated like we were in the old WAC and Big West days.

We are in a multi-bid league with much better national respect than in prior years of snubs. I think we get an NIT invite if we don’t make the NCAAs.

But the NIT is lame. I’d rather lose in the first round of the NCAAs than win the NIT, but that’s just me.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
ProvoAggie

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » March 1st, 2021, 11:39 pm

Not me, it’s always “just win baby” for me. We haven’t won an NIT game since1960 with Cornell Green. We beat Villanova in OT 73 to 72, lost next game to Providence, then beat St. Boneventure for consolation.
Last edited by troutputz on March 1st, 2021, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 1st, 2021, 11:47 pm

We're not playing in the NIT

because we still have a MWC to go and win so that we can be in the NCAA Tournament.

Locked Previous topicNext topic