Coaching Carousel

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie702

Coaching Carousel

Post by Aggie702 » March 15th, 2021, 11:17 am

Life as an Aggie fan - we can't even properly enjoy the at-large bid without worrying about a coaching change, lol. Minnesota and Indiana have already fired their coaches.

Word is UNM is down to Richard Pitino or Tim Miles as their next coach, either would probably be a good hire and mean an improved UNM.

At least the initial buzz is MN is interested in Dutcher at SDSU (would be a good time for him to bail IMO given the senior laden team he has).

Why can't these firings wait until April, lol.
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by ViAggie » March 15th, 2021, 11:20 am

If'n I was coach Smith, I would hold out for a high paying warmer weather job, winters in the upper-Midwest SU-UCK!
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » March 15th, 2021, 11:23 am

Aggie702 wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 11:17 am
Life as an Aggie fan - we can't even properly enjoy the at-large bid without worrying about a coaching change, lol. Minnesota and Indiana have already fired their coaches.

Word is UNM is down to Richard Pitino or Tim Miles as their next coach, either would probably be a good hire and mean an improved UNM.

At least the initial buzz is MN is interested in Dutcher at SDSU (would be a good time for him to bail IMO given the senior laden team he has).

That would be interesting having Tim Miles coaching UNM with his two former assistants at CSU and USU

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » March 15th, 2021, 11:40 am

ViAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 11:20 am
If'n I was coach Smith, I would hold out for a high paying warmer weather job, winters in the upper-Midwest SU-UCK!
As a resident of the Minneapolis area, "it wouldn't be so cold, if it wasn't for the wind".
These users thanked the author Aggiefan160 for the post (total 2):
AGinNEIowaAggieFBObsession

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » March 15th, 2021, 12:05 pm

Ouch! This one has a possibility to hurt.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 15th, 2021, 12:16 pm

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 12:05 pm
Ouch! This one has a possibility to hurt.
I don't see Smith going to Indiana. They are going to be looking bigger, I think.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
aggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 15th, 2021, 12:32 pm

I doubt Smith is competitive for a blue blood territory job like Indiana. I know we love him, but in the grand scheme of things, he hasn’t done much. For example, I don’t think he has won a single NCAA Tourney game, and more likely than not, will be 0-2 in the NCAAs at the end of the week.

A lower-tier P5 job like Minnesota is more of a threat, but I’d probably hire Dutcher over Smith were I Minnesota. He’s more of a proven commodity, and I would worry about Smith’s ability to recruit the way a team like Minnesota needs to recruit if I were Minnesota.

Unless we go on a tourney run, I think we still might be a few years away from losing Smith. I could be wrong though. If Indiana does come calling, he’d be nuts to turn it down.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
CanofShiz

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » March 15th, 2021, 12:38 pm

I see Smith sticking it out another year. Let's be honest players like Bean don't come along often ha.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 15th, 2021, 1:01 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 11:23 am
Aggie702 wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 11:17 am

That would be interesting having Tim Miles coaching UNM with his two former assistants at CSU and USU
Tim Miles would be a truly solid hire for NM. Not a flashy one, but one that would build that program back up.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 15th, 2021, 4:03 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 12:32 pm
I doubt Smith is competitive for a blue blood territory job like Indiana. I know we love him, but in the grand scheme of things, he hasn’t done much. For example, I don’t think he has won a single NCAA Tourney game, and more likely than not, will be 0-2 in the NCAAs at the end of the week.

A lower-tier P5 job like Minnesota is more of a threat, but I’d probably hire Dutcher over Smith were I Minnesota. He’s more of a proven commodity, and I would worry about Smith’s ability to recruit the way a team like Minnesota needs to recruit if I were Minnesota.

Unless we go on a tourney run, I think we still might be a few years away from losing Smith. I could be wrong though. If Indiana does come calling, he’d be nuts to turn it down.
I've been saying this all year! He's still an unknown commodity. Even schools like Minnesota answer to boosters who want a "big-name" hire (al-a-Ricky Patino). Until Smith starts kicking a** in the tournament (if he ever does), he probably will not be competitive for these jobs (assuming he's actively pursuing them).

The question is, is Smith or his agent actively pursuing these openings, or is he passively waiting for schools to contact him? If it's the latter, I'm not too worried (yet). If we make a run this year, maybe I'll start sweating.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 15th, 2021, 4:14 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 4:03 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

I've been saying this all year! He's still an unknown commodity. Even schools like Minnesota answer to boosters who want a "big-name" hire (al-a-Ricky Patino). Until Smith starts kicking a** in the tournament (if he ever does), he probably will not be competitive for these jobs (assuming he's actively pursuing them).

The question is, is Smith or his agent actively pursuing these openings, or is he passively waiting for schools to contact him? If it's the latter, I'm not too worried (yet). If we make a run this year, maybe I'll start sweating.
Here's to hoping you start sweating!

These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post (total 3):
TrueAggiemanflying_scotsman2.0OrangeCountyAggie

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 15th, 2021, 4:22 pm

Obviously a deep run in the tourney is a huge boost to Smith but I think he has done enough and has the charisma to definitely be in the running for very good jobs. Hope he stays but he has done great things here and that is no secret.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 15th, 2021, 4:51 pm

gomretat wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 4:22 pm
Obviously a deep run in the tourney is a huge boost to Smith but I think he has done enough and has the charisma to definitely be in the running for very good jobs. Hope he stays but he has done great things here and that is no secret.
I think so too. But if you're the booster in Minnesota who just paid millions of dollars to make Patino go away, are you going to sign off on the AD hiring some up-and-commer no one's heard of from a lesser-known school that hasn't done anything relevant on a national level? I doubt it. Personality only gets you so far (unfortunately).
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
LarryTheAggie

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 15th, 2021, 5:15 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 4:51 pm
gomretat wrote:
I think so too. But if you're the booster in Minnesota who just paid millions of dollars to make Patino go away, are you going to sign off on the AD hiring some up-and-commer no one's heard of from a lesser-known school that hasn't done anything relevant on a national level? I doubt it. Personality only gets you so far (unfortunately).
There are only so many big names to go around, and P5 coaches rarely switch jobs these days, so what does that usually leave you with? An up and comer or an assistant at a P5 job

Occasionally you can get a former coach that has been out of the game for a bit (like John Beilein, or Hoiberg before Nebraska recently hired him), or a former great coach that has been knocked down a peg or two and went to a smaller school to rehab his reputation (like Rick Pitino (obvi MN not going to hire him), or maybe Alford in a few years if he has success at NV), but there aren't as many of these guys, so that's why you're left with up and comers or P5 assistants, no matter how big of a name the boosters think they want.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 15th, 2021, 5:35 pm

Minnesota has already contacted Smith (they had reps in the building for our game vs. Wyo) as well as Dutcher at SDSU. Obviously Smith and his wife consider Minnesota home and so that opening is a huge concern in our efforts to keep him. Dutcher's ties to the actual Minnesota program are deeper though and he appears to be a higher target for them right now.

The ISU job is the other one to be concerned about with Smith but so far there are only a few reports of his name being on the list of potential hires. Like coach Smith has done with recruiting and other decisions, it will be kept discrete and we probably won't know if he's leaving until the deal is done and he's already on his way somewhere. I do take a bit of comfort in knowing that at least the public talk of him going to Minnesota or ISU died down quite a bit after that last week of the regular season. I'd like to believe he expressed no interest at this time but perhaps he is just waiting for the season to be over before he makes a final decision.

I do think he's quite well known to P5's at this point but I also think they have some reservation knowing he has had Merrill and Queta at his disposal. If we make any noise in the tourney or if Smith can repeat what he has done the first 3 years without those two on the roster then I think he'll see more doors open and some program will snatch him away.

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » March 15th, 2021, 8:09 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 4:03 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

I know boosters like big names but Smith's last three years are hard to ignore...tournament wins or no wins.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 15th, 2021, 8:32 pm

Iowa State just opened up.....

Otzelberger reported to be strong contender. Does that make sense to anyone??? I’ve also seen L Rice on a list for Indiana!!! I mean I love that I’m not hearing/seeing Smith but either of those two before Smith make absolutely zero sense to me.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 15th, 2021, 8:34 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 8:32 pm

Otzelberger reported to be strong contender. Does that make sense to anyone??? I’ve also seen L Rice on a list for Indiana!!! I mean I love that I’m not hearing/seeing Smith but either of those two before Smith make absolutely zero sense to me.
Here is the link. I don’t understand why no one can win at unlv but he was very good at prior to unlv at South Dakota state or wherever and they love him at Iowa state already since he was an assistant during the glory days there.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 15th, 2021, 8:35 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 8:34 pm
bluegrouse wrote:

Here is the link. I don’t understand why no one can win at unlv but he was very good at prior to unlv at South Dakota state or wherever and they love him at Iowa state already since he was an assistant during the glory days there.

Didn’t realize he was an assistant there but still......

Again, not complaining whatsoever, just doesn’t compute.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
slcagg

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 15th, 2021, 8:37 pm

bluegrouse wrote:

I just can't see how Otzelberger is even a serious Contender for the Iowa State Job. The guy has not been great at UNLV.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 15th, 2021, 8:38 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 8:35 pm
slcagg wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 8:34 pm
bluegrouse wrote:

Didn’t realize he was an assistant there but still......

Again, not complaining whatsoever, just doesn’t compute.
I hope they take TJ that would be awesome so long as Smith is able to stay another year or two I'm fine with that.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
bluegrouse

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 15th, 2021, 9:07 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 8:37 pm
bluegrouse wrote:

I just can't see how Otzelberger is even a serious Contender for the Iowa State Job. The guy has not been great at UNLV.
Because he was the top assistant during there best years recently and landed a lot of the top dudes.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 15th, 2021, 9:07 pm

Apparently Niko Medved and Eric mussleman have ties to Minnesota as well. Both are possible candidates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 15th, 2021, 9:10 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 9:07 pm
Apparently Niko Medved and Eric mussleman have ties to Minnesota as well. Both are possible candidates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t think they will hire niko. But can almost guarantee who would follow him there as a player if they were to hire him.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » March 15th, 2021, 9:40 pm

I think all this tips the scales to Canales becoming our next coach.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 3):
AgliciousAggie formerly in Hawaiicrazywookie

bpd

Post by bpd » March 15th, 2021, 10:13 pm

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 15th, 2021, 10:31 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 4:51 pm
gomretat wrote:
He has done a whole lot more than show personality. Hope you are right but I think he will be in the running for some very good jobs if they come open.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » March 15th, 2021, 10:43 pm

Kind of off topic, but did anybody else get a kick out of seeing Carson Shanks' name on that list as an assistant coach at one of those smaller Minnesota programs?! He didn't pan out here, but I'm happy to hear of his success in the coaching ranks. IMO it's mostly true that once an Aggie, always an Aggie (some exceptions)...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post:
GUS

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » March 15th, 2021, 10:47 pm

Heard the Iowa sports talk guy (Iowa State expert) discussing coaching candidates. He’s a personal friend of TJ Otzelberger (the dude is well liked in these parts) and pulling for him, but talked about Craig Smith and Niko quite a bit too. This guy watches a lot of Mountain West games and likes those 3 coaches quite a bit. Niko coached at Drake briefly so he’s well known in this area just as TJ is. They expressed concern about Craig’s ability to sway good enough recruits to Iowa to compete in the Big 12. I laughed out loud when the host seriously said recruiting to Utah State is much easier because all those Mormon kids need somewhere to go. Another agreed about Utah State being one of the easier schools in the Mountain West to recruit to because of the Spectrum. All I hear on this board is how hard it is to recruit to USU so Smith will probably leave because of it. So which is it?!!

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 15th, 2021, 11:08 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 10:47 pm
Heard the Iowa sports talk guy (Iowa State expert) discussing coaching candidates. He’s a personal friend of TJ Otzelberger (the dude is well liked in these parts) and pulling for him, but talked about Craig Smith and Niko quite a bit too. This guy watches a lot of Mountain West games and likes those 3 coaches quite a bit. Niko coached at Drake briefly so he’s well known in this area just as TJ is. They expressed concern about Craig’s ability to sway good enough recruits to Iowa to compete in the Big 12. I laughed out loud when the host seriously said recruiting to Utah State is much easier because all those Mormon kids need somewhere to go. Another agreed about Utah State being one of the easier schools in the Mountain West to recruit to because of the Spectrum. All I hear on this board is how hard it is to recruit to USU so Smith will probably leave because of it. So which is it?!! Image
Recruiting to Logan is easy. Well, that’s a new one. I thought I had heard everything there was to hear about Logan and basketball in my 55 years but I guess I was wrong.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 15th, 2021, 11:26 pm

Well, that article isn’t comforting. Looks like they believe Smith is higher on the list than Dutcher. Was hoping it was going to be a slam dunk for Dutcher. Head to head with Cleveland State’s HC, I’d pick Smith every time. I hope I’m wrong.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 16th, 2021, 12:17 am

I have limited intel on this but what I’ve heard is Dutchner is leveraging interest into a better deal at SDSU and if Minnesota or ISU offer Smith he’s gone and Peterson is more likely to follow him than stay here.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » March 16th, 2021, 7:27 am

On a side note. I noticed last night that peterson is selling his boat on facebook. Not sure what to make of that with all this talk of coaching changes.

Where only sage brush grows

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 16th, 2021, 7:49 am

Intermeddler wrote:
March 16th, 2021, 12:17 am
I have limited intel on this but what I’ve heard is Dutchner is leveraging interest into a better deal at SDSU and if Minnesota or ISU offer Smith he’s gone and Peterson is more likely to follow him than stay here.
Boooooo!

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » March 16th, 2021, 8:02 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 10:47 pm
Heard the Iowa sports talk guy (Iowa State expert) discussing coaching candidates. He’s a personal friend of TJ Otzelberger (the dude is well liked in these parts) and pulling for him, but talked about Craig Smith and Niko quite a bit too. This guy watches a lot of Mountain West games and likes those 3 coaches quite a bit. Niko coached at Drake briefly so he’s well known in this area just as TJ is. They expressed concern about Craig’s ability to sway good enough recruits to Iowa to compete in the Big 12. I laughed out loud when the host seriously said recruiting to Utah State is much easier because all those Mormon kids need somewhere to go. Another agreed about Utah State being one of the easier schools in the Mountain West to recruit to because of the Spectrum. All I hear on this board is how hard it is to recruit to USU so Smith will probably leave because of it. So which is it?!! Image
Recruiting USU is not as hard as people on this board might want some to believe.
It's an incredible community, great campus, modern ammenities.... Recruiting kids to play in front of 10,000 fans every night in the Spectrum shouldn't be a matrix like puzzle to solve.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
sam tingey

Locked Previous topicNext topic