Loyola of Chicago....

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Sl7vk

Loyola of Chicago....

Post by Sl7vk » March 21st, 2021, 12:27 pm

Doing it again.

Just dropped Illinois.
Small school. Small budget.
Their formula is close to ours, except they have great guards.
Their big guys were formidable against Illinois today.

ineptimusprime

Re: Loyola of Chicago....

Post by ineptimusprime » March 21st, 2021, 12:33 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 12:27 pm
Doing it again.

Just dropped Illinois.
Small school. Small budget.
Their formula is close to ours, except they have great guards.
Their big guys were formidable against Illinois today.
Porter Moser hasn’t done much besides that Final Four and this Sweet 16... :joking:

Man, that would be nice.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 21st, 2021, 12:34 pm

If I was a p5 school in the Midwest that is the coach I’d be pursuing.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
MrBiggle

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 21st, 2021, 12:36 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 12:34 pm
I have said he'll be the next coach of Depaul, and I still predict that.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 21st, 2021, 12:36 pm

Once again, how come every school who does this doesn’t have an FBS football program?

I can’t point to an exact reason why it’s the case, because the resources for bball programs are still similar, but one can’t deny all these schools who do it don’t have FBS football teams.

Gonzaga, Butler, Loyola, Wichita, Vcu, Villanova, etc.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on March 21st, 2021, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 21st, 2021, 12:37 pm

Their offense was a thing of beauty. They were getting layups and fooling Illinois all day with great passes, screans and dribble drives. It was fun to watch. Not a good tourney for the Big 10.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13Aggie19

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 21st, 2021, 12:37 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 12:36 pm
Once again, how come every school who does this doesn’t have an FBS football program?

I can’t point to an exact reason why it’s the cause because the resources for bball programs are still similar, but one can’t deny all these schools who do it don’t have FBS football teams.

Really good poibt

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 21st, 2021, 12:38 pm

He's been there ten years; wasn't poached after the 2018 Final Four run either.

Guards that can handle the ball, constant movement on offense. It was really fun basketball to watch.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 21st, 2021, 12:46 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 12:37 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I can’t point to an exact reason why it’s the cause because the resources for bball programs are still similar, but one can’t deny all these schools who do it don’t have FBS football teams.

Really good poibt
Villanova does have football. Basketball just is their ultimate priority. They have one of the top hoops budgets in the country. I wouldn't really call the big east a mid major either when they tend to get 5-7 teams in the dance each year.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 21st, 2021, 12:48 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 12:46 pm
slcagg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Really good poibt
Villanova does have football. Basketball just is their ultimate priority. They have one of the top hoops budgets in the country. I wouldn't really call the big east a mid major either when they tend to get 5-7 teams in the dance each year.
Ok ok. How about we get a sister Jean!

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » March 21st, 2021, 12:52 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 12:34 pm
I have said he'll be the next coach of Depaul, and I still predict that.
Yeah he wouldn’t even have to move if he coached at DePaul (7 miles away). Marquette is now looking .... and only 80 miles up the shoreline.
If Northwestern job ever opens up it’s under 5 miles away!

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 21st, 2021, 12:54 pm

slcagg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Really good poibt
Villanova does NOT have an FBS football team, which is what I said in my post.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » March 21st, 2021, 1:01 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

I can’t point to an exact reason why it’s the case, because the resources for bball programs are still similar, but one can’t deny all these schools who do it don’t have FBS football teams.

I looked at the budget for Wichita State and found that their fans spend $15 million on tickets and donations, where as USU's fans spend $8.5 million on all sports perhaps there is a connection between that, also those schools are located in metro area's with airports, interstate highways and some nite life.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 21st, 2021, 1:25 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 12:54 pm
slcagg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Really good poibt
Villanova does NOT have an FBS football team, which is what I said in my post.
I gotcha, but the point stands that Villanova isn't a mid major. The Big East is a basketball power conference that spends more on basketball than the Pac 12 and is about equal per team to the Big 10 and more than double the MW.

We definitely should be winning more in March though. 0-12 in the NCAA/NIT over the last 20 years isn't acceptable.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 21st, 2021, 1:42 pm

Our lack of tourney success isn’t really that outside the norm for MW teams, unfortunately. Even as the higher seeded team MW teams have not fared too well. That’s part of the reason I’d be all in Tim Miles if Smith leaves. He’s one of the only MW coaches that has won in the tourney.

But yeah, almost every mid-major with even a modicum of tourney success has no football team, and/or is in or nearer to a more metropolitan area than Logan, UT.

In the case of Wichita, VCU, and Gonzaga, they are in larger metro areas where they are close to or are the only show in town from a sports standpoint.

Overall, you have to be thrilled with how well USU sports are doing being in a relatively remote area, third-fiddle in the state, and lower athletics budget than most conference peers. Over the last decade or so, it’s hard to think of a school that’s overachieved as much as we have.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on March 21st, 2021, 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Roy McAvoy

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 21st, 2021, 1:49 pm

If a tournament run comes at the cost of having an FBS football team, I wouldn’t pay the price. The last decade of Aggie football was too much fun.

I’d take first round exits and bowl teams over no football and a Sweet 16, and I say that with basketball being my preferred sport.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » March 21st, 2021, 1:54 pm

Maybe it has something to do with how the conference is played or how it’s officiated? Just spitballing here - but it is true that seldom do you see success from MWC teams in the NCAA tournament. Guard play is key in the big dance and maybe the Mountain West just doesn’t put a lot of emphasis on that position. I have also felt like the officiating during the conference season is extreme. Very little contact is ever allowed, very little physicality. Then we get to the NCAA and get pushed around and can’t adjust. I don’t feel like that was the case this year, but I’ve seen it often in year past. This year I really feel like guard play and lack of shooters really hurt us. I do think our guards are good and will only get better with time, not trying to blame them. But it says something about a program if you have to rely upon freshman guards. We should have some older guards with experience. If you are a P5 and recruiting the best guards in the country who will soon he pros, you can have young talent. But as a mid major usually to be competitive in the big dance you are going to need experienced guards year after year. How many above average point guards have we seen go through our program in the past 20 years? Maybe we need to develop that area more to be successful post season.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 21st, 2021, 1:57 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 1:42 pm
Our lack of tourney success isn’t really that outside the norm for MW teams, unfortunately. Even as the higher seeded team MW teams have not fared too well. That’s part of the reason I’d be all in Tim Miles if Smith leaves. He’s one of the only MW coaches that has won in the tourney.

But yeah, almost every mid-major with even a modicum of tourney success has no football team, and/or is in or nearer to a more metropolitan area than Logan, UT.
There are lesser programs that win all the time in the tournament. I'm sorry, but Oral Roberts, North Texas, Ohio and Abilene Christian don't have more advantages than we do. I don't think anyone is expecting us to make consistent deep runs, but winning here and there and having better showings isn't that much to ask. It has shown to be a big hurdle at USU. For a team that regularly makes the tournament we should have more success.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 21st, 2021, 2:00 pm

They are fun team to watch i am happy for them it is always nice to see the smaller programs to do well. It can be done at USU, we are in a good conference, have good fan support and pay our head coach decent. We do need some dynamic guards. We also need to continue to schedule aggressively in the non conference to prepare for tournament play.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » March 21st, 2021, 3:04 pm

I think both the Aggies and SDSU could have made runs in the tourney last year. Cursed COVId!!!!! Flynn and Merrill are a couple NBA caliber guards.

Locked Previous topicNext topic