I apologize Aggie Nation

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Re: I apologize Aggie Nation

Post by ineptimusprime » March 27th, 2021, 11:24 am

USUaggienation wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 11:21 am
I’m with you, man. I don’t even know how to feel. I’m not angry, I don’t hate him, I appreciate the three years. But he’s making a big mistake and I just hope he learns whatever he needs to from this decision.
If it blows up on Smith, he can swim around in a Scrooge McDuck pool of money and ponder what could have been.

I don’t think you regret a decision that nets you $18 million in guaranteed money no matter how the job goes.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on March 27th, 2021, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiO3rdGenAggieJSHarvey

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 27th, 2021, 11:24 am

USUaggienation wrote:
I’m with you, man. I don’t even know how to feel. I’m not angry, I don’t hate him, I appreciate the three years. But he’s making a big mistake and I just hope he learns whatever he needs to from this decision.
Unfortunately a lot of us would be willing to make huge mistakes if those huge mistakes resulted in $18m in the bank.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 11:28 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 11:24 am
USUaggienation wrote:
If it blows up on Smith, he can swim around in a Scrooge McDuck pool of money and ponder what could have been.

I don’t think you regret a decision that nets you $18 million in guaranteed money no matter how the job goes.
Yeah I don't blame him for chasing the money or going to a P5 school. If it was Minnesota I'd probably cheer for Minnesota during their big 10 season. I had long assumed this would be his last year in Logan. If you have success at USU you are moving on unless you are just a natural fit like Stew Morrill was.

Going to the enemy is what is inexcusable and I hope he fails. I have some Stanford friends who saw Mike Montgomery who coached at Stanford forever then go coach their rival, but at least with Montgomery he coached in the NBA for a few years inbetween coaching Stanford and Cal.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » March 27th, 2021, 11:45 am

To me the U isn't "the enemy". They're not even an opponent, and they've chosen to shart on 100 years of tradition so they're not even a rival. They are a nothing. If CS had left for Boise or SDSU or BYU-P, then I'd take it personally.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
gomretat

Nobody here knows anything.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 12:00 pm

OKAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 11:45 am
To me the U isn't "the enemy". They're not even an opponent, and they've chosen to shart on 100 years of tradition so they're not even a rival. They are a nothing. If CS had left for Boise or SDSU or BYU-P, then I'd take it personally.
They are 100% the enemy and even more so with the garbage they have pulled the last decade. Refusing to play a team you have played for 100 years was bush league and a garbage move. Aggie fans rightfully hated the 4-1 or whatever nonsense byu tried to pull in the 80's and 90's, Utah should get the same scorn.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 3):
mcaggie1NowhereLandAggieaggieguy13

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 27th, 2021, 12:06 pm

OKAggie wrote:To me the U isn't "the enemy". They're not even an opponent, and they've chosen to shart on 100 years of tradition so they're not even a rival. They are a nothing. If CS had left for Boise or SDSU or BYU-P, then I'd take it personally.
It’s BECAUSE they shart on 100 years of tradition that they are the enemy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiCastIronAggieaggieguy13

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 27th, 2021, 12:29 pm

What do you guys expect the coach to say? “Hey I’m getting contacted by other programs all the time and if the right offer comes along, I’m out of here.”

That’s a great way to potentially hurt recruiting and the USU program if you end up staying. That’s a good way to potentially increase the likelihood of existing players potentially considering the transfer portal. That’s a good way to cast some doubt/hesitation in the minds of the staff while they are still working and recruiting for USU. My guess is that when he told the players/coaches he was planning to be at USU next season, he was being truthful. That is also likely the best thing he could say to help USU’s program. Who knows how often he or his legal rep get contacted about other opportunities. It’s probably best not to share that info with players/staff/athletic departments/etc, until a decision is actually made.

I know most on this forum don’t like the Utes, but Craig has a P5 opportunity with great money, easier travel, better pay for his assistants, increased exposure, easier to land high level recruits, and is probably financially set for life regardless of his success or failures at the U. I don’t fault him at all based on what I know.

I also believe the U is smart not to play the Aggies. Losing to USU is bad for them and the U coaches/AD have better job security losing to a no name school in the preseason vs losing to perceived, “lesser” instate schools that the U fans really hate losing to...

Time to wish Craig luck and move on.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post (total 4):
AndroidAggiegomretatThunderAggieJSHarvey

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 27th, 2021, 12:40 pm

IMO this is a much better job than Minnesota and it doesn't surprise me that he took it. And obviously 22 doesn't owe any of us an apology. I also imagine he was the 2nd option, not the 3rd. Hiring Bryant would have been a much riskier move and that had to be obvious. I am disappointed in the way this went down and the interaction with his players but I think he will do well at the U. Smith is a very good coach and this is a very good situation with decent upside in the PAC 12. Great move for him and his family but awkwardly handled.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post (total 4):
ThunderAggiePacobagaggies22JSHarvey

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » March 27th, 2021, 12:41 pm

sucks, but oh well. what are we gonna do.
These users thanked the author AndroidAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » March 27th, 2021, 12:47 pm

Guys here is what I have learned over many years. Coach's are salesmen, Craig Smith is the loudest one I have ever heard, .Of course his wife and kids love where ever they are located. Being a good salesman includes, convincing, boosters, fans, students, players.

I do not believe Smith turned down anyone he interviewed with, I know he interviewed with at least one school outside of Minnesota, and of course Utah. He needed to strike while the iron was hot With what is left on next years team USU could have a tough season.

USU and Logan offer MWC membership and $700-$900,000. Utah and Salt Lake offer Pac-12 membership, and $3,000,000 that's not a hard choice.

When Smith reduced the buyout % on his contract the writing was on the wall. Forget the polls showing how he likes small town, his wife loves it here, his kids really enjoy living here, that is all part of the sales pitch.

One last thing USU needs to look way beyond the coach's left in Logan, there are many better options.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 2):
ThunderAggieJSHarvey

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » March 27th, 2021, 12:51 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 11:24 am
USUaggienation wrote:

Yeah, my only sports love is the Aggies... and if I had the chance, I'd do it for the money. Then I would vacation for life and play golf. Sign me up, baby.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » March 27th, 2021, 12:54 pm

Pacobag wrote:What do you guys expect the coach to say? “Hey I’m getting contacted by other programs all the time and if the right offer comes along, I’m out of here.”

That’s a great way to potentially hurt recruiting and the USU program if you end up staying. That’s a good way to potentially increase the likelihood of existing players potentially considering the transfer portal. That’s a good way to cast some doubt/hesitation in the minds of the staff while they are still working and recruiting for USU. My guess is that when he told the players/coaches he was planning to be at USU next season, he was being truthful. That is also likely the best thing he could say to help USU’s program. Who knows how often he or his legal rep get contacted about other opportunities. It’s probably best not to share that info with players/staff/athletic departments/etc, until a decision is actually made.

I know most on this forum don’t like the Utes, but Craig has a P5 opportunity with great money, easier travel, better pay for his assistants, increased exposure, easier to land high level recruits, and is probably financially set for life regardless of his success or failures at the U. I don’t fault him at all based on what I know.

I also believe the U is smart not to play the Aggies. Losing to USU is bad for them and the U coaches/AD have better job security losing to a no name school in the preseason vs losing to perceived, “lesser” instate schools that the U fans really hate losing to...

What a beautifully worded, logical post. This all should be common sense but here we are.

These users thanked the author BleedAggieBlue0 for the post:
JSHarvey

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 27th, 2021, 12:55 pm

No worries 22. Please keep us informed on player reaction and movement.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
aggies22

CastIronAggie

Post by CastIronAggie » March 27th, 2021, 1:03 pm

Pacobag wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 12:29 pm
What do you guys expect the coach to say? “Hey I’m getting contacted by other programs all the time and if the right offer comes along, I’m out of here.”

All of this can be true and I still hope that he and that garbage program lose every game from now until the apocalypse.
These users thanked the author CastIronAggie for the post (total 3):
calaggievegasaggie3rdGenAggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 27th, 2021, 1:05 pm

It always seems that the new institution jumps the gun on releasing the info. Did Craig Smith release the info? Or did someone at the UU AD release it to a reporter who was just doing his or her job?

If the latter I wouldn’t be too hard on Smith for not telling USU players prior to agreeing. I believe Craig would have preferred the announcement be delayed 12 hours so he can have the heart to heart.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 27th, 2021, 1:29 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 9:51 am
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 9:39 am
Alex Jones has interviewed for NBA head coaching jobs already. He was never going to Utah.
ALEX JONES :shock: :shock: :shock:
He meant Alex Smith.

Or Jensen. Haha. My bad.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 27th, 2021, 3:13 pm

CastIronAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 1:03 pm
Pacobag wrote:

That’s a great way to potentially hurt recruiting and the USU program if you end up staying. That’s a good way to potentially increase the likelihood of existing players potentially. considering the transfer portal. That’s a good way to cast some doubt/hesitation in the minds of the staff while they are still working and recruiting for USU. My guess is that when he told the players/coaches he was planning to be at USU next season, he was being truthful. That is also likely the best thing he could say to help USU’s program. Who knows how often he or his legal rep get contacted about other opportunities. It’s probably best not to share that info with players/staff/athletic departments/etc, until a decision is actually made.

All of this can be true and I still hope that he and that garbage program lose every game from now until the apocalypse.
All of this is true. Most of us are upset because of what Paco left out. It’s not what CS did, but how he did it. Assuring his AD, coaching staff and players he wasn’t going, and then leaving less than a week after the promise? Then contacting everyone via a text. That is lame and lazy. All he needed to do was tell the Ewe not to make any announcement until he had a chance to talk personally with the team, etc. And even before that.....how many recruiting commitments have you seen come our way? Next to nothing! We are way behind most MWC schools in that regard. Before today, that (recruiting) was his main responsibility this time of year. Seems a little fishy to me that we have been left high and dry in that regard. Interesting to see what players he choose to bring with him. That would destroy us for a few years.
Oh, and by the way , 22, you are spotless.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 3):
vegasaggieaggies22AggieFBObsession

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 3:26 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 3:13 pm
CastIronAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 1:03 pm
Pacobag wrote:

That’s a great way to potentially hurt recruiting and the USU program if you end up staying. That’s a good way to potentially increase the likelihood of existing players potentially. considering the transfer portal. That’s a good way to cast some doubt/hesitation in the minds of the staff while they are still working and recruiting for USU. My guess is that when he told the players/coaches he was planning to be at USU next season, he was being truthful. That is also likely the best thing he could say to help USU’s program. Who knows how often he or his legal rep get contacted about other opportunities. It’s probably best not to share that info with players/staff/athletic departments/etc, until a decision is actually made.

All of this is true. Most of us are upset because of what Paco left out. It’s not what CS did, but how he did it. Assuring his AD, coaching staff and players he wasn’t going, and then leaving less than a week after the promise? Then contacting everyone via a text. That is lame and lazy. All he needed to do was tell the Ewe not to make any announcement until he had a chance to talk personally with the team, etc. And even before that.....how many recruiting commitments have you seen come our way? Next to nothing! We are way behind most MWC schools in that regard. Before today, that (recruiting) was his main responsibility this time of year. Seems a little fishy to me that we have been left high and dry in that regard. Interesting to see what players he choose to bring with him. That would destroy us for a few years.
Oh, and by the way , 22, you are spotless.
Well he is going to a place I cheer against every game anyway, so when people get on here and say "time to wish Craig luck" or similar comments that isn't going to stand. It isn't that he left, it is where he is going. 99% of the board understands coaches come and go. They don't go to our hated rivals though, at least not until today.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 3):
CastIronAggie3rdGenAggieAggieFBObsession

SLB

Post by SLB » March 27th, 2021, 3:29 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 8:07 am
I've spent all week championing for Coach Smith and I feel like I may have led you astray. I am COMPLETELY blindsided by the events of this morning. I will add this, not only is Aggie Nation waking up and finding this out on Twitter, so are his players and coaches.
Everyone was blindsided. It comes off that Craig Smith got surprised and an offer he couldn't refuse. Smith hinted at maybe Utah vs Aggies games in the future which would be great for us.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 28th, 2021, 8:09 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 10:59 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 10:52 am
Zaggie07 wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 10:15 am
On a side note, when 22 or anybody else says "Aggie brother" does anybody else hear it in a Hulk Hogan voice in their head?
100% this. I’m actually going to imagine aggies22 as Hulk Hogan from now on when I read his posts.
If I ever meet Aggie22, I'm going to be disappointed if he doesn't look like Hulk Hogan
Prepare to be disappointed my Aggie brother. Haha!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 28th, 2021, 8:19 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 12:55 pm
Players reaction? Pretty pissed off.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 6):
Real Life AggieUSU783rdGenAggiehipsterdoofus21AggieFBObsessionOrangeCountyAggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 28th, 2021, 8:21 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 8:09 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 10:59 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 10:52 am
Zaggie07 wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 10:15 am
On a side note, when 22 or anybody else says "Aggie brother" does anybody else hear it in a Hulk Hogan voice in their head?
100% this. I’m actually going to imagine aggies22 as Hulk Hogan from now on when I read his posts.
If I ever meet Aggie22, I'm going to be disappointed if he doesn't look like Hulk Hogan
Prepare to be disappointed my Aggie brother. Haha!
I do think we should have a usufans 22 appreciation day. Mods?

Add an appreciation days for Provo and others that make this site what it is.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

Has thanked: 0

Post by ... » March 28th, 2021, 8:26 am

I think every single day is a 22 appreciation day. This board would suck with him.
These users thanked the author ... for the post (total 5):
aggies22Real Life Aggiehipsterdoofus21slcaggvegasaggie

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 28th, 2021, 10:25 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 8:19 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Unsurprising.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 28th, 2021, 11:02 am

... wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 8:26 am
I think every single day is a 22 appreciation day. This board would suck with him.
Yep, if he left the board it would be like when Hulk Hogan left the WWF for the WCW in the early 90's.
Last edited by Aggie formerly in Hawaii on March 28th, 2021, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
sam tingey

coolag

Post by coolag » March 28th, 2021, 11:38 am

SLB wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 3:29 pm
aggies22 wrote:
I've spent all week championing for Coach Smith and I feel like I may have led you astray. I am COMPLETELY blindsided by the events of this morning. I will add this, not only is Aggie Nation waking up and finding this out on Twitter, so are his players and coaches.
Everyone was blindsided. It comes off that Craig Smith got surprised and an offer he couldn't refuse. Smith hinted at maybe Utah vs Aggies games in the future which would be great for us.
Lol. Yeah not gonna happen.

Regulator of Class

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 28th, 2021, 12:51 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 8:19 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
And THIS is why Craig Smith is dead to me. Note, he's no longer "coach" to me either nor ever will be. Douche is a better term.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 30th, 2021, 1:31 am

aggies22 wrote:
Thanks aggies22, for keeping us in the loop on what you can say. I appreciate your sharing the insider's view and experience.
These users thanked the author LoveMyAggies for the post (total 3):
aggies22Real Life Aggiehipsterdoofus21

Stewie Griffin

Post by Stewie Griffin » March 31st, 2021, 9:28 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 8:09 am
Coach Smith is now dead to me. What a douchey move! :crazy:
A HUGE douche! All vinegar and no oil!
🤬

Locked Previous topicNext topic