Playing Utah again in the future?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GeoAg

Playing Utah again in the future?

Post by GeoAg » April 5th, 2021, 2:50 pm

Their new coach wants it. If it happens, I'll be pretty pleased. See the last two paragraphs...

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes ... asketball/
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
ThunderAggieBLUERUFiO

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

ThunderAggie

Re: Playing Utah again in the future?

Post by ThunderAggie » April 5th, 2021, 2:55 pm

GeoAg wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 2:50 pm
Their new coach wants it. If it happens, I'll be pretty pleased. See the last two paragraphs...

Smith would gain back a lot of my respect if he revamps the USU-Utah rivalry
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post (total 3):
AggieFBObsessionthegreendalegelfCaptainChaos

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 5th, 2021, 2:56 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 2:55 pm
GeoAg wrote:

Mine as well. There is no reason why it should have been cancelled in the first place.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 5th, 2021, 2:56 pm

GeoAg wrote:

Craig Smith strongly hinted at it. Something that jumped to me was Craig Smith saying that wanted Utah to face tougher teams and wanted more in-state games. Both of these points = Aggies.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » April 5th, 2021, 3:01 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

And he'd get to experience the full wrath of the Spectrum.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
stewusu98

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » April 5th, 2021, 3:08 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 3:01 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

I think he would honestly love that. Its a fun environment to be the enemy in if you have thick skin. Find out how his players handle adversity in their face before conference play. I think Smith will want it. The question is will their AD allow it.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 5th, 2021, 3:10 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 3:08 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 3:01 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

I think he would honestly love that. Its a fun environment to be the enemy in if you have thick skin. Find out how his players handle adversity in their face before conference play. I think Smith will want it. The question is will their AD allow it.
Or their boosters...

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 5th, 2021, 3:29 pm

Good. There is zero reason the game shouldn't be played. The propaganda line of "it only hurts Utah" is such a stupid and idiotic talking point and I want to throw up when I hear even some Aggie fans say it. It would have been a Quad 1 win this year had the game been in Logan. Utah's best teams from 95-99 played USU every year. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and play the game and risk losing. My respect for Smith will go up a level if he gets the game going again.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 5th, 2021, 3:35 pm

I think he'd be welcomed back and should be. It stings to go to Utah and to do so in a sneaky way, but I'd cheer him for resurrecting the Spectrum and program. The Utah program however I will continue to cheer against vehemently.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 5th, 2021, 3:40 pm

The Utah basketball program has no appetite for that. They definitely have more to lose. It's different than them playing BYU. They must play and beat BYU so that they can have some fanbase following, otherwise it's a disaster there. If they lose to Utah State then it hurts them in local recruiting/notoriety and hurts their Net Rating (probably doesn't hurt their fanbase following at all). The Utah basketball coaching job is one of the tougher jobs in the PAC 12 right now. 15 wins will not get it done.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 5th, 2021, 3:50 pm

I'll believe it when I see it. It's easy to say something like this - makes a nice soundbite. I'm guessing what he means is "we'd be happy to play USU anytime they want to visit our home court, but it doesn't make sense for us to do home and homes with USU "
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post:
NowhereLandAggie

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » April 5th, 2021, 3:56 pm

While it would be nice to renew the rivalry in some way I think that wins over LSU and Florida on "neutral" courts does more for the program's reputation than a win against Utah.
These users thanked the author Aggieiester for the post (total 3):
hipsterdoofus21AggieFBObsessionsstrasser

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 5th, 2021, 4:03 pm

Who?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 5th, 2021, 4:07 pm

How did the Red gestapo allow their new lock stepper to make a comment like that. “ Vee hof vays to make you pay.”

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 5th, 2021, 4:14 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 3:40 pm
The Utah basketball program has no appetite for that. They definitely have more to lose. It's different than them playing BYU. They must play and beat BYU so that they can have some fanbase following, otherwise it's a disaster there. If they lose to Utah State then it hurts them in local recruiting/notoriety and hurts their Net Rating (probably doesn't hurt their fanbase following at all). The Utah basketball coaching job is one of the tougher jobs in the PAC 12 right now. 15 wins will not get it done.
Every time you step on the court you have something to lose, but USU has been a great program the last 20+ years. It would be a quality win for the enemy if they were able to pull it off. They had more to lose in the 90's yet played USU every year. Losing to a mediocre 15 win USU team didn't hurt them at all in 99 when they got a 2 seed in the tournament.

It is an in-state rivalry game, Utah needs to stfu with their excuses and we just need to play the damn game!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 5th, 2021, 4:16 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 3:35 pm
I think he'd be welcomed back and should be. It stings to go to Utah and to do so in a sneaky way, but I'd cheer him for resurrecting the Spectrum and program. The Utah program however I will continue to cheer against vehemently.
Let's not go too far with "welcoming back" unless you mean being booed and harassed mercilessly the whole game similar to when Lebron went back to Cleveland for the first time as a member of the Heat. (youtube it, it was brutal)

Respect will go up a knotch though. Krysto and Chris Hill were gutless cowards and it will put traitor Smith above them in my eyes if he gets this going again.

guffer
Has thanked: 0

Post by guffer » April 5th, 2021, 4:17 pm

I’ve remarked that I hope Smith burns in hell for eternity for going to Utah. If he gets the series back on...I’d grant him a Terrestrial existence.
These users thanked the author guffer for the post (total 2):
ToedrAgsstrasser

gomretat

Post by gomretat » April 5th, 2021, 4:44 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
I guess this makes you and I two of the stupid idiots that make AIH throw up :puke:. Utah finding quality opponents is a piece of cake for them if they want it. I think it is obvious they don't think they gain anything which is why they quit doing it?. That being said, I think Craig Smith will push for it because he is the kind of guy that doesn't run from that kind of thing.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 5th, 2021, 4:58 pm

Craig wanting the USU-Utah game back on the schedule makes all the sense in the world. It's a top 50 game most years, it's local (read: cheaper) and gives experience in a more tense game/environment. Not a single one of those things could be construed as a bad thing.

Now, there's a decent chance that the logic he's using is about to be derailed by outside forces who aren't interested in such things.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 5th, 2021, 5:01 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
Most years, losing to Utah State is not going to hurt your NET rating, certainly not enough to be of concern. Losing to Costal Carolina and Tulane like they did 2 years ago, on the other hand....

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » April 5th, 2021, 5:15 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
Name three local recruits we've ever gotten over the U, and name one you can attribute to a USU win. Not just during their Pac-12 tenure, ever. Even in years when we were beating them on the court, we weren't beating them for recruits. People keep repeating this, but I'd like a little evidence please.

Nobody here knows anything.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » April 5th, 2021, 5:24 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
They don’t have anything to lose. What nonsense. USU would be a quad 1 or quad 2 at worst for them. Did it hurt UCLA to play SDSU this year? You know the Final 4 UCLA team?

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 5th, 2021, 6:09 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 4:14 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
Every time you step on the court you have something to lose, but USU has been a great program the last 20+ years. It would be a quality win for the enemy if they were able to pull it off. They had more to lose in the 90's yet played USU every year. Losing to a mediocre 15 win USU team didn't hurt them at all in 99 when they got a 2 seed in the tournament.

It is an in-state rivalry game, Utah needs to stfu with their excuses and we just need to play the damn game!
Because of local recruiting bragging rights we have more to gain in the relationship, imo. If Utah loses to another G5 outside of Utah then it has the same impact on their fan base as losing to Utah State does. They'd be apathetic about beating us or losing to us. It doesn't nudge the barometer that much. However if they beat YBU then that definitely gets them riled up and vice versa if they lose to YBU. So if they play against an out of state G5 instead of us there's less to lose. That's the point that we all need to swallow. Their fan base doesn't care about us. That's not a compliment about their fan base. That's just the way they think.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 5th, 2021, 6:20 pm

Mwahahahahaha - little do they know that Smith was the Manchurian Candidate all along, hired here to be enticed to Utah, BUT only after being indoctrinated as a REAL EGGIE! Soon we'll be scheduling home and away in Football too! Mwahahaha :joking:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 5th, 2021, 6:24 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 6:09 pm
April 5th, 2021, 4:14 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:

Because of local recruiting bragging rights we have more to gain in the relationship, imo. If Utah loses to another G5 outside of Utah then it has the same impact on their fan base as losing to Utah State does. They'd be apathetic about beating us or losing to us. It doesn't nudge the barometer that much. However if they beat YBU then that definitely gets them riled up and vice versa if they lose to YBU. So if they play against an out of state G5 instead of us there's less to lose. That's the point that we all need to swallow. Their fan base doesn't care about us. That's not a compliment about their fan base. That's just the way they think.
That isn't true. I went to almost every Utah and USU game during the 00's. I also went to a ton of Utah games when I lived in SLC. It is a myth that they don't care about USU. There was ton of passion and fight in those games. You are playing into the Utah big brother narrative when you say this.

Also again it just isn't true that beating USU isn't a big win. A tournament team the last 3 years that would be either a quad 1 or quad 2 game depending on the venue. It is a big game with a lot on the line whether Utah fans or the Aggie fans that have bought into the Utah fan narrative want to believe it or not.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 5th, 2021, 6:29 pm

gomretat wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 4:44 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
I guess this makes you and I two of the stupid idiots that make AIH throw up :puke:. Utah finding quality opponents is a piece of cake for them if they want it. I think it is obvious they don't think they gain anything which is why they quit doing it?. That being said, I think Craig Smith will push for it because he is the kind of guy that doesn't run from that kind of thing.
They quit doing it because they are cowards and their level of embarrassment was even higher when they joined the Pac 12 and were still losing to in-state teams. It has nothing to do with "losing recruits" or "hurting their net rating" or whatever nonsense. USU is a quality program and Utah has played a pretty pathetic basketball ooc schedule under Krysto. He had a bunch of teams that needed better ooc wins to get in the dance. There is zero excuse not to play the game unless Utah feels their sacred rivalries of Evergreen State, Mississippi Valley State and Prairie View A&M need to continue.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Full

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 5th, 2021, 6:32 pm

April 5th, 2021, 6:29 pm
gomretat wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
They quit doing it because they are cowards and their level of embarrassment was even higher when they joined the Pac 12 and were still losing to in-state teams. It has nothing to do with "losing recruits" or "hurting their net rating" or whatever nonsense. USU is a quality program and Utah has played a pretty pathetic basketball ooc schedule under Krysto. He had a bunch of teams that needed better ooc wins to get in the dance. There is zero excuse not to play the game unless Utah feels their sacred rivalries of Evergreen State, Mississippi Valley State and Prairie View A&M need to continue.
It's absolutely true. We just don't move the needle much for them. That's hardcore data that can't be argued with.
https://knowrivalry.com/team/utes-utah-115/

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 7th, 2021, 12:21 pm

I'm optimistic we will play the Utes again as early as next season for a few reasons:

1) Smith's contract, is heavily incentivized to bring more fans into the Huntsman. Scheduling a polarizing game against an in-state rival is extremely helpful in that regard.
2) He was frustrated while coaching at USU that Utah refused to play us and knows how stupid that is.
3) His swift exit was a bit unprofessional and this would be another way to unburn some bridges so to speak.

Here's how I see it playing out; we schedule a three-year deal starting next year that has us playing in SLC in the first year, year two at Vivant with a return trip to Logan in 2023. This would help Smith with his fan attendance in year one while he builds up excitement in the program (and maybe catch us in a re-build year) and shields Smith from having to face the Spectrum crowd for a few years until things have cooled off a bit and we've moved on (or so he hopes).
Last edited by OrangeCountyAggie on April 7th, 2021, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 7th, 2021, 12:53 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 6:32 pm
April 5th, 2021, 6:29 pm
gomretat wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
It's absolutely true. We just don't move the needle much for them. That's hardcore data that can't be argued with.
https://knowrivalry.com/team/utes-utah-115/
That just isn't true. I have gone to countless USU-Utah games. To say "it doesn't move the needle" is just wrong. Colorado is their "rival" now in the Pac 12, but I've been to Utah-Colorado basketball games compared to USU-Utah basketball games. It is night and day. Maybe you are young, but the USU-Utah games through the late 90's into the 00's were far more intense and passionate than any Utah-Colorado or Utah-USC game.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » April 7th, 2021, 12:56 pm

Anybody care to share just the last 2 paragraphs?

Stewie Griffin

Post by Stewie Griffin » April 7th, 2021, 3:56 pm

The only way the game should happen is in the Spectrum, where there will be more fans.
Screw the U

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 7th, 2021, 4:07 pm

guffer wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 4:17 pm
I’ve remarked that I hope Smith burns in hell for eternity for going to Utah. If he gets the series back on...I’d grant him a Terrestrial existence.
What is a Terrestrial existence ? You hope someone burns in hell for a eternity for taking a higher paying job ?
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
splintorb

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 7th, 2021, 5:54 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 4:07 pm
guffer wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 4:17 pm
What is a Terrestrial existence ? You hope someone burns in hell for a eternity for taking a higher paying job ?
He's confused. The Little Purple Pansies live a terrestrial existence. The Pukes a telestial one. The Bougars are in outer darkness
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Locked Previous topicNext topic