UMBC transfer portal list

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

UMBC transfer portal list

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2021, 1:55 pm

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Re: UMBC transfer portal list

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 7th, 2021, 2:00 pm

No thanks on both. Horvath looks solid, but we have a glut at the C position already. Unless we lose another C in addition to Kuba I don't see it as enough of a need.

I just can't imagine Rogers succeeding in the MWC at 5'2. It's one thing to play at that height in the America East, another in the MWC.

I would take a long, hard look at Eytle-Rock though.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

splintorb

Post by splintorb » April 7th, 2021, 2:03 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:00 pm
No thanks on both. Horvath looks solid, but we have a glut at the C position already. Unless we lose another C in addition to Kuba I don't see it as enough of a need.

I just can't imagine Rogers succeeding in the MWC at 5'2. It's one thing to play at that height in the America East, another in the MWC.
Horvath is listed as a Forward, not sure if he plays much center.
These users thanked the author splintorb for the post:
3rdGenAggie

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 7th, 2021, 2:04 pm

splintorb wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:03 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Horvath is listed as a Forward, not sure if he plays much center.
In that case I would consider him. Looks like he can shoot the 3 reasonably well...a little better than Bean at least.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

splintorb

Post by splintorb » April 7th, 2021, 2:07 pm

He shoots at 30% on the year...and shoots a couple each game...i'd take this guy for sure.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2021, 2:17 pm

Horvath is actually listed on UMBC's site as F/G despite being 6'10". He looks like a good player looking at his stats with over 50% from 2 and 8.7 rounds per game including getting a double-double against Georgetown, and Horvath improved every year. It would not be a surprise if we got Horvath.
https://www.umbcretrievers.com/sports/m ... -21/roster

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 7th, 2021, 2:25 pm

I’d take Horvath and Eytle-Rock. Not sure anyone else on that team would help us much at this level, due respect to UMBC.

Horvath is better than any big on our current roster except for Bean.

Without naming names of who I hope move on, I am at a point where I kind of hope a few other scholarships shake out considering the huge amount of players available in the portal this year.

Sounds like Odom isn’t interested in counseling anyone out though.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on April 7th, 2021, 2:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 7th, 2021, 2:26 pm

I don't think we have a glut of big men anymore now that Neemi, Kuba, and Fonz are moving on. We'll need another forward for sure. After watching some of UMBC's film the other night, I would take Horvath in a heartbeat. The guy makes his team better. He plays unselfish and knows how to use space and hit the open guy besides doing some scoring and rebounding himself. He knows what Odom wants on both ends. He also moves well for a 6'10" guy. and averaged 13 pts, 9 rebs, and 2 assists a game last season, which is very Beanesque. I think you start him next to Bean and run 3 guards with them, then when Bean goes out he can slide to the F and Dorius or Zapala come in. Or McChesney can sub in for Bean and Horvath stay at the 5.
4's - Bean, McChesney
4/5 - Horvath
5 - Dorius, Zapala

SLB

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2021, 2:27 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:26 pm
I don't think we have a glut of big men anymore now that Neemi, Kuba, and Fonz are moving on. We'll need another forward for sure. After watching some of UMBC's film the other night, I would take Horvath in a heartbeat. The guy makes his team better. He plays unselfish and knows how to use space and hit the open guy besides doing some scoring and rebounding himself. He knows what Odom wants on both ends. He also moves well for a 6'10" guy. and averaged 13 pts, 9 rebs, and 2 assists a game last season, which is very Beanesque. I think you start him next to Bean and run 3 guards with them, then when Bean goes out he can slide to the F and Dorius or Zapala come in. Or McChesney can sub in for Bean and Horvath stay at the 5.
4's - Bean, McChesney
4/5 - Horvath
5 - Dorius, Zapala
Don't forget about Potter
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
aggies22

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 7th, 2021, 2:35 pm

splintorb wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:07 pm
He shoots at 30% on the year...and shoots a couple each game...i'd take this guy for sure.
And at 6'10" he could help us possibly maintain the tallest team in the country designation.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

SLB

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2021, 2:37 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:35 pm
splintorb wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:07 pm
And at 6'10" he could help us possibly maintain the tallest team in the country designation.
You revealed my real intention of having that particular player listed. :joking:

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 7th, 2021, 2:37 pm

SLB wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:27 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
4's - Bean, McChesney
4/5 - Horvath
5 - Dorius, Zapala
No offense but other than Queta I don't recall a freshman bigman coming in and earning significant minutes in a long time. I think Potter will develop into a good player but Horvath would be great for one transition year until he can get his feet under him.

I agree that Eytle-Rock is the prize catch on UMBC and would love to land him. Regarding Darnell Rogers, pretend you don't know what size he is and look at his numbers. His numbers this year were good but his previous season at UMBC were even better. 14 pts, 4.3 assists, 3.4 rbs, and shot over %42 from 3. A kid who has been doubted his whole life has a major chip on his shoulder and has learned to adjust his game. I think of Gomez at SDSU. I'm not saying I'd go sign him right now as I'd want to see what else is out there but I wouldn't overlook him just because of his height.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
AggiesForever

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 7th, 2021, 2:39 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:37 pm
SLB wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
4's - Bean, McChesney
4/5 - Horvath
5 - Dorius, Zapala
No offense but other than Queta I don't recall a freshman bigman coming in and earning significant minutes in a long time. I think Potter will develop into a good player but Horvath would be great for one transition year until he can get his feet under him.

I agree that Eytle-Rock is the prize catch on UMBC and would love to land him. Regarding Darnell Rogers, pretend you don't know what size he is and look at his numbers. His numbers this year were good but his previous season at UMBC were even better. 14 pts, 4.3 assists, 3.4 rbs, and shot over %42 from 3. A kid who has been doubted his whole life has a major chip on his shoulder and has learned to adjust his game. I think of Gomez at SDSU. I'm not saying I'd go sign him right now as I'd want to see what else is out there but I wouldn't overlook him just because of his height.
Say Rogers could come as a walk-on? I’d totally take him.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » April 7th, 2021, 2:44 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
SLB wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
4's - Bean, McChesney
4/5 - Horvath
5 - Dorius, Zapala

Kinda hard not to, though.

Aggies All the Way!

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 7th, 2021, 2:46 pm

He may have a chip on his shoulder, but I am sure he doesn't look down his nose at anybody.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieineptimusprime

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 7th, 2021, 2:46 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:

I would take a long, hard look at Eytle-Rock though.
I have no clue if the Rogers can play at the MWC level or not, but his numbers are solid. CSU has 2 point guards that start that are 5'10" and 6'.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

SLB

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2021, 2:49 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:39 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
SLB wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
4's - Bean, McChesney
4/5 - Horvath
5 - Dorius, Zapala

Say Rogers could come as a walk-on? I’d totally take him.
I used the Georgetown game as a way to measure stats about players going to MWC.
Rodgers and Horvath were the best players of that game for UMBC.
Eytle-Rock had 6 TOs in that game while Rodgers played 9 more minutes than Eytle-Rock had 2 TOs in the same game.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2021, 2:52 pm

I would point out that Horvath entering the transfer portal is on the same timeline as us getting Odom as HC.

umbc32244

Post by umbc32244 » April 7th, 2021, 2:53 pm

Horvath is not a center by any means, but a modern-day 'stretch 4' who can handle the ball well and shoot from 3. He's a playable MWC player IMO. I am an alumnus of the University of Missouri and follow their program closely as well, and would take him on that SEC team in a heartbeat.

I also think Dan Akin, the starting center on the NCAA team, would be a good depth option for Odom at USU. Not a huge scoring threat, but can defend positions 1-5 and is an absolute workhorse on the defensive end and the offensive glass. He also doesn't demand touches, making him an ideal role player.

Rogers is not a MWC player - he struggled to create his shot in the America East. Decent low mid major player, but not MWC.

Hoping Eytle-Rock stays at UMBC, but obviously TBD at this time.
These users thanked the author umbc32244 for the post (total 4):
3rdGenAggieMetsJetsAggiesnewtonianblueAggiesForever

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 7th, 2021, 2:55 pm

umbc32244 wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:53 pm
Horvath is not a center by any means, but a modern-day 'stretch 4' who can handle the ball well and shoot from 3. He's a playable MWC player IMO. I am an alumnus of the University of Missouri and follow their program closely as well, and would take him on that SEC team in a heartbeat.

I also think Dan Akin, the starting center on the NCAA team, would be a good depth option for Odom at USU. Not a huge scoring threat, but can defend positions 1-5 and is an absolute workhorse on the defensive end and the offensive glass. He also doesn't demand touches, making him an ideal role player.

Rogers is not a MWC player - he struggled to create his shot in the America East. Decent low mid major player, but not MWC.

I hope your team stays together as much as possible.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
AngusAg

umbc32244

Post by umbc32244 » April 7th, 2021, 2:58 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:55 pm

I hope your team stays together as much as possible.
Thanks - definitely hope so as well, but if they're going to leave would love for them to join Odom. Horvath + Akin especially. I don't think the best parts of Eytle-Rock's game would play in the MWC.
These users thanked the author umbc32244 for the post:
AngusAg

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 7th, 2021, 3:00 pm

It sounds like Horvath would be a good candidate to replace Alphonso Anderson.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Eutaw St. Aggie

SLB

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2021, 3:02 pm

umbc32244 wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:53 pm

Because you are a UMBC fan, I thought that you know that one of Taylor Coppenrath's second cousins is on this board. Last I heard, he was a high school basketball coach.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2021, 3:03 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 3:00 pm
I was thinking the same thing, but Horvath would be a starter.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
Winkie

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » April 7th, 2021, 3:04 pm

SLB wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 3:03 pm
Yossarian wrote:
What about bean?

cval

Post by cval » April 7th, 2021, 3:05 pm

SLB wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Can he be a 3? We have a pretty good 4.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » April 7th, 2021, 3:06 pm

These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
AggieArmy

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 7th, 2021, 3:14 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 3:06 pm
Looks like an intriguing player. And a 30% shooting percentage from three would put him like second on the team, wouldn't it?

Is this a mandatory sound track for highlight videos (football and basketball)? It seems like every highlight video we see has the (seemingly) exact same song playing in the background. Maybe I'm just getting old?

Eutaw St. Aggie

cval

Post by cval » April 7th, 2021, 3:17 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 3:14 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 3:06 pm
Looks like an intriguing player. And a 30% shooting percentage from three would put him like second on the team, wouldn't it?

Is this a mandatory sound track for highlight videos (football and basketball)? It seems like every highlight video we see has the (seemingly) exact same song playing in the background. Maybe I'm just getting old?
Example of faint praise?

SLB

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2021, 3:18 pm

AggieFanNate wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 3:04 pm
SLB wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
What about bean?
If we got Horvath, I think that we would be a double 4 type of deal that play 5 at times. We have heavier players in Dorius, Zapala, and Potter that would rotate in for the 5 spot.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 7th, 2021, 3:30 pm

SLB wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 3:18 pm
AggieFanNate wrote:
SLB wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
What about bean?
If we got Horvath, I think that we would be a double 4 type of deal that play 5 at times. We have heavier players in Dorius, Zapala, and Potter that would rotate in for the 5 spot.
Isn't Potter only like 6'8"? I agree we'd likely start two 4's if Horvath came. You don't take Justin off the floor.....and Horvath would be much better than any of our 5's or backup 4's. Both Horvath and Bean are excellent at rebounding the ball. Only issue I see is if Horvath has to defend a legit 7 footer that has both size and strength as Horvath seems to be more of a finesse player. Not many teams have a true center in the MWC anyways and in the odd instance they would, we throw Dorius out there for more minutes.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2021, 3:32 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 3:30 pm
SLB wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 3:18 pm
AggieFanNate wrote:
SLB wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
What about bean?
Isn't Potter only like 6'8"? I agree we'd likely start two 4's if Horvath came. You don't take Justin off the floor.....and Horvath would be much better than any of our 5's or backup 4's. Both Horvath and Bean are excellent at rebounding the ball. Only issue I see is if Horvath has to defend a legit 7 footer that has both size and strength as Horvath seems to be more of a finesse player. Not many teams have a true center in the MWC anyways and in the odd instance they would, we throw Dorius out there for more minutes.
6'8" yes but was 230 coming out of high school. I would imagine that Potter is bigger after 2 years.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 7th, 2021, 3:58 pm

SLB wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
4's - Bean, McChesney
4/5 - Horvath
5 - Dorius, Zapala
Can't imagine Potter would come in off a mission and make an immediate impact. But still, is this a player you think we should be excited about?

SLB

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2021, 4:02 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 3:58 pm
SLB wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
4's - Bean, McChesney
4/5 - Horvath
5 - Dorius, Zapala
Can't imagine Potter would come in off a mission and make an immediate impact. But still, is this a player you think we should be excited about?
Merrill and Ashworth made an immediate impact off their mission. I am not saying that Potter will for sure make an immediate impact, but he was pretty highly rated recruit for us. It is fair to say that we take the wait and see approach, but we should not be surprised that he does make an immediate impact.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 2):
OrangeCountyAggieReal Life Aggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 7th, 2021, 4:07 pm

SLB wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 4:02 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 3:58 pm
SLB wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
4's - Bean, McChesney
4/5 - Horvath
5 - Dorius, Zapala
Merrill and Ashworth made an immediate impact off their mission. I am not saying that Potter will for sure make an immediate impact, but he was pretty highly rated recruit for us. It is fair to say that we take the wait and see approach, but we should not be surprised that he does make an immediate impact.
Interesting, thanks. I couldn't remember the story on him. Was he originally a Smith recruit?

Locked Previous topicNext topic