A case for focusing on basketball…

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

A case for focusing on basketball…

Post by ineptimusprime » November 21st, 2021, 6:16 pm

The win today makes a strong case for focusing most financial efforts on basketball over football.

There’s no way USU football could ever get wins over LSU, Florida, and Oklahoma. Just a bridge too far. In basketball that’s more than possible. It’s actually happened.

It’s much more realistic that we could pay the going rate for good basketball coaches to keep them at USU than it is for football. It’s also much easier to recruit the talent needed to compete with P5 schools in basketball.

Just something to consider.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 4):
Real Life AggiegomretatGreenAgereksonaggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: A case for focusing on basketball…

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 21st, 2021, 6:17 pm

I don’t hate it

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 21st, 2021, 6:22 pm

As someone that prefers basketball to football I don't hate the idea.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieMetsJetsAggies

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 21st, 2021, 6:24 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 6:22 pm
As someone that prefers basketball to football I don't hate the idea.
I care for football like Lucille Bluth cares for GOB.

I'm all about that basketball funding.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 5):
ProvoAggieMrBiggleFloridaAggie13flying_scotsman2.0aggieguy13

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 21st, 2021, 6:26 pm

I’d take a 6-6 ceiling on football to better our chances of having a top 25 program.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
ineptimusprime

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 21st, 2021, 6:42 pm

I am more of a basketball fan than a football fan, but we are 8-3 in football and were ranked and 11-2 in 2018. Our football program is in good hands. As for LSU, Florida and Oklahoma, I get your point, but LSU and Florida would be very beatable this year.

You would have to elaborate on what you mean by giving up resources for football to focus on basketball. While I'd love for our basketball team to take the next step and start winning in the tournament, I'd also hate for our football program to go back to the 30 years of darkness that we experienced as a football program before Matt Wells joined Gary's staff for the 2011 season.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 21st, 2021, 6:48 pm

Football will always pay the bills, as it were.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post:
mcaggie1

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 21st, 2021, 6:52 pm

Ahbye wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 6:48 pm
Football will always pay the bills, as it were.
Is football paying the bills? Or is the program as a whole in the hole without the state subsidy?

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » November 21st, 2021, 6:58 pm

No thanks football is #1.
These users thanked the author blueaggie for the post:
AgMac

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 21st, 2021, 7:00 pm

Football

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 21st, 2021, 7:01 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 6:16 pm
The win today makes a strong case for focusing most financial efforts on basketball over football.

There’s no way USU football could ever get wins over LSU, Florida, and Oklahoma. Just a bridge too far. In basketball that’s more than possible. It’s actually happened.

It’s much more realistic that we could pay the going rate for good basketball coaches to keep them at USU than it is for football. It’s also much easier to recruit the talent needed to compete with P5 schools in basketball.

:cheers:
Yes! Please!

Where only sage brush grows

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 21st, 2021, 7:13 pm

I want to stay competitive in football, to be clear. I’m just saying basketball will likely be a much better ROI in terms of meaningful wins.

If Anderson were to leave this year, it’d just prove the point that we can’t at all sustain a coach in football, and should adjust accordingly. Take that buyout money and get new uniforms, then use it extend Odom if we have a solid year this year.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on November 21st, 2021, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 21st, 2021, 7:15 pm

I mean, it’s essentially what Gonzaga is doing.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 21st, 2021, 7:21 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 6:42 pm
I am more of a basketball fan than a football fan, but we are 8-3 in football and were ranked and 11-2 in 2018. Our football program is in good hands. As for LSU, Florida and Oklahoma, I get your point, but LSU and Florida would be very beatable this year.

You would have to elaborate on what you mean by giving up resources for football to focus on basketball. While I'd love for our basketball team to take the next step and start winning in the tournament, I'd also hate for our football program to go back to the 30 years of darkness that we experienced as a football program before Matt Wells joined Gary's staff for the 2011 season.
I mean, I guess I’m saying take a percentage of the football budget and allocate it to basketball. Pay the football coach $200k-$300k less and allocate that instead to basketball… We have limited resources, and it just isn’t as expensive to be a top tier basketball program.

I think we’d have an okay chance holding onto Odom longer if we were paying him what we are paying Anderson, and we have no way to hold onto Anderson even paying him what we are. Basketball is just a smaller scale.

If Anderson is poached and we get a huge buyout from it, what a perfect time to recalibrate.

This is Adam Smith. This is focusing on an area of comparative advantage.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 21st, 2021, 7:44 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 7:21 pm

I mean, I guess I’m saying take a percentage of the football budget and allocate it to basketball. Pay the football coach $200k-$300k less and allocate that instead to basketball… We have limited resources, and it just isn’t as expensive to be a top tier basketball program.

I think we’d have an okay chance holding onto Odom longer if we were paying him what we are paying Anderson, and we have no way to hold onto Anderson even paying him what we are. Basketball is just a smaller scale.

If Anderson is poached and we get a huge buyout from it, what a perfect time to recalibrate.

If this is Adam Smith, then look where the revenue comes from. Hint, it isn’t b-ball.

I think we can chew gum and walk at the same time and be good at both.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » November 21st, 2021, 8:05 pm

I said in another thread that I think football is a tide that raises all ships. Although I think that football recruiting has benefitted a lot from bringing recruits into the spectrum for big games, so I have no way of determining how true that thought is.
I’ve spoken to lots of people on campus that just don’t have the j in newest in football. Maybe we don’t have the interest and support for football. Then again it’s not like we sell out the spectrum constantly either is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » November 21st, 2021, 8:15 pm

Football pays for most of usu athletics, wake up people, the real focus should be getting “Aggie fans”to quit being cheap and lazy! If we had 25k to every football game and 9.5k to every bball game we would have plenty of extra money to pay coaches.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 21st, 2021, 8:19 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 7:21 pm

I just don't think we could be as good in football with spending 200-300k less on the HC. That probably means a few hundred grand less on the rest of the staff too. Yesterday sucked, but we are a good football team and I believe the best is yet to come. Let's say Anderson stays here and wins 9 games on average for four years including a conference title then bolts to a p5 job. Would you really want to go backwards after that? I wouldn't and I don't think most Aggie fans would. Would love to be great in hoops to where we are winning in the tournament, but I don't want to go back to the dark ages of football.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » November 21st, 2021, 8:22 pm

Agzrule wrote:Football pays for most of usu athletics, wake up people, the real focus should be getting “Aggie fans”to quit being cheap and lazy! If we had 25k to every football game and 9.5k to every bball game we would have plenty of extra money to pay coaches.
It’s a viscous cycle of players/admins/coaches calling for support and fans giving the excuse that the team keeps laying eggs at home.

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » November 21st, 2021, 8:27 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 8:22 pm
Agzrule wrote:Football pays for most of usu athletics, wake up people, the real focus should be getting “Aggie fans”to quit being cheap and lazy! If we had 25k to every football game and 9.5k to every bball game we would have plenty of extra money to pay coaches.
It’s a viscous cycle of players/admins/coaches calling for support and fans giving the excuse that the team keeps laying eggs at home.

In my opinion the fans expectations are unrealistic with our current support especially the financial support, we will never get to the next level unless we can significantly improve attendance numbers and donations, and the funny thing is the better our football is the more money we will have to pay bball coaches!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 21st, 2021, 8:45 pm

Agzrule wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 8:27 pm
CaptainChaos wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 8:22 pm

In my opinion the fans expectations are unrealistic with our current support especially the financial support, we will never get to the next level unless we can significantly improve attendance numbers and donations, and the funny thing is the better our football is the more money we will have to pay bball coaches!
Good points, overall USU is performing excellent in relation to our Budget. Could not be happier with our current situation and success in both sports.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyvegasaggie

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 21st, 2021, 9:38 pm

If for NO other reason, then one reason to focus on football is that football is what drives conference invitations, the chance to be invited to better conferences. We needed the football winning season in 2011 alot more than we needed to keep winning in basketball to get invited to the Mountain West and not end up like Idaho or New Mexico State. Like Boise was the first team the MW was interested in taking from the WAC cause of their football despite having bad basketball, and Utah got into the PAC 12 in spite of where their basketball was at. Kansas's basketball on the other hand has not been able to get them into a better conference.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 21st, 2021, 9:41 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 9:38 pm
If for NO other reason, then one reason to focus on football is that football is what drives conference invitations, the chance to be invited to better conferences. We needed the football winning season in 2011 alot more than we needed to keep winning in basketball to get invited to the Mountain West and not end up like Idaho or New Mexico State. Like Boise was the first team the MW was interested in taking from the WAC cause of their football despite having bad basketball, and Utah got into the PAC 12 in spite of where their basketball was at. Kansas's basketball on the other hand has not been able to get them into a better conference.
I mean, the Big 12 is and will remain the best basketball conference in the country so…

Goose74

Post by Goose74 » November 21st, 2021, 9:56 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

Dude, you're killing me. 3 days ago you had written the program off. Now you're head cheerleader.
You said you were going to sit this season out. How about we see you in April?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 21st, 2021, 9:57 pm

Goose74 wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 9:56 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

Dude, you're killing me. 3 days ago you had written the program off. Now you're head cheerleader.
One thing I love about prime is he is an aggie through and through.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggiesam tingey

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 21st, 2021, 9:58 pm

Goose74 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Literally who the hell are you? You’re new, and you’ve kinda been a dick to everyone around here. Just sayin’.

And I never said I was sitting out the year. Let’s focus on reading comprehension and not being a dick.
Real Life Aggie

Goose74

Post by Goose74 » November 21st, 2021, 10:07 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 9:58 pm
Goose74 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Literally who the hell are you? Your new, and you’ve kinda been a dick to everyone around here. Just sayin’.

And I never said I was sitting out the year. Let’s focus on reading comprehension and not being a dick.
How many times do you need to call me a dick to make yourself feel better? You chatted you would eat crow after crying about how bad we were going to be. I've only been a dick to you.
Eat your crow.

I'm sure your pedigree outshines mine, but I have a life that lets me not have to live on this board all day for validation.

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » November 21st, 2021, 10:07 pm

We have a shot of winning a national title in basketball, that us we get into the tournament and have the opportunity.

There is absolutely no way we ever have a shot at a football national championship because there is no way we ever get into the playoffs.

But it is a good point that football generally is the "tide" for all sports and conference invites. But I would be very surprised if basketball didn't make money (albeit not as much as football)

I'm biased for basketball however. It is what created my love for the Aggies.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 21st, 2021, 10:09 pm

Goose74 wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 10:07 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 9:58 pm
Goose74 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Literally who the hell are you? Your new, and you’ve kinda been a dick to everyone around here. Just sayin’.

How many times do you need to call me a dick to make yourself feel better? You chatted you would eat crow after crying about how bad we were going to be. I've only been a dick to you.
Eat your crow.

I'm sure your pedigree outshines mine, but I have a life that lets me not have to live on this board all day for validation.
You were a pretty big dick in your coffee thread too, although I agree with you there should be some damn coffee at MOFAMS.

Harcher

Post by Harcher » November 21st, 2021, 10:22 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 9:41 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 9:38 pm
I mean, the Big 12 is and will remain the best basketball conference in the country so…

Maybe we could find a good example of a peer/mid major to look at where the basketball has been really good for a long time and a football program that was bad for a long time and see how the overall program faired during that time…. We could see if that situation could be strong enough to remove the fear of getting stuck in the purgatory that is independence. If only that sample had the variable of a turnaround of football being good for a while and see if the health of the overall program increased. I wonder if the overall athletic budget would change much if football was increased to a “good” program. I’m guessing Budge is one of a few good metric for program health. We could look at that if anyone is aware of a program like that.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 21st, 2021, 10:29 pm

I totally agree football drives conference realignment, but I think we’ve maxed out conference-wise in the MW. Don’t see us ever getting invited to a power conference unless football realignment somehow stops revolving around TV markets.
JSHarvey

Harcher

Post by Harcher » November 21st, 2021, 10:38 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 10:29 pm
I totally agree football drives conference realignment, but I think we’ve maxed out conference-wise in the MW. Don’t see us ever getting invited to a power conference unless football realignment somehow stops revolving around TV markets.
I do appreciate the out of the box ideas. And now a strategic move to improve hoops would be great. But at the expense of football would be a tough sell to me.

I agree we are at a maximum on conference realignment. But I’m not convinced we are immune from minimizing.
These users thanked the author Harcher for the post:
JSHarvey

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » November 21st, 2021, 10:49 pm

It’s hard to say because I have definitely enjoyed being a more competitive football program this past decade and hope for even brighter days ahead. However, the reason I gravitate more to college hoops is that the stakes just feel more real. Just like we saw today. As a G5 in football your postseason fate is limited before the season even starts. Basketball is different.. NCAA tourney >>> bowl season
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post:
ineptimusprime

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 21st, 2021, 10:57 pm

SwaggieAggie wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 10:49 pm
It’s hard to say because I have definitely enjoyed being a more competitive football program this past decade and hope for even brighter days ahead. However, the reason I gravitate more to college hoops is that the stakes just feel more real. Just like we saw today. As a G5 in football your postseason fate is limited before the season even starts. Basketball is different.. NCAA tourney >>> bowl season
NCAA tourney is the greatest sporting event in my opinion. The first 2 days are so fun.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 21st, 2021, 11:10 pm

I hate this thread with the passion of a thousand white hot suns.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 3):
vegasaggieHakeemMyDreamAglicious

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Locked Previous topicNext topic