Zapala

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
nswaggie

Zapala

Post by nswaggie » December 2nd, 2021, 10:12 pm

Lost in the angst over the way this game ended were some very valuable minutes played by Zapala. I thought he had some nice minutes tonight. I was surprised to see him get important minutes.

Also overall I thought Odom coached a good game as well. I think he needs to ride the ref a little more when you have Bennett on the other end riding the refs nonstop.
These users thanked the author nswaggie for the post (total 6):
SpectrumMagicAGinNEIowaJjoey52flying_scotsman2.0AggiesForeveraggies22

Ahbye

Re: Zapala

Post by Ahbye » December 2nd, 2021, 10:14 pm

nswaggie wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 10:12 pm
Lost in the angst over the way this game ended were some very valuable minutes played by Zapala. I thought he had some nice minutes tonight. I was surprised to see him get important minutes.

Also overall I thought Odom coached a good game as well. I think he needs to ride the ref a little more when you have Bennett on the other end riding the refs nonstop.
Yep. If you're not on the refs in equal amounts as the opposing coach, the refs get the impression that if you're satisfied and the other coach is irate, they must be calling an unbalanced game. Human nature.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 3):
SaintAggienswaggieJjoey52

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 2nd, 2021, 10:21 pm

Nice callout on zapala. Overall we
Got some good mins from our bench tonight.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 3):
nswaggieReal Life Aggieflying_scotsman2.0

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » December 2nd, 2021, 10:24 pm

slcagg wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 10:21 pm
If Zapala keeps improving, Ashworth can be the spark like he has last couple games and Bairstow gets up to speed should have good bench. Zee usually provides some good minutes, he just needs to get stronger. Was able to get by his man just not strong enough to finish yet
These users thanked the author SpectrumMagic for the post:
nswaggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 2nd, 2021, 11:15 pm

Zapala played really good defense tonight in the 2nd half. I was happy with his performance.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » December 2nd, 2021, 11:21 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 11:15 pm
Zapala played really good defense tonight in the 2nd half. I was happy with his performance.
He seemed to be the only one that could bother Fotu.

CodingAggieBlue

Post by CodingAggieBlue » December 2nd, 2021, 11:24 pm

Zapala made some pretty big stops for us defensively. The Zapala-Bean-Horvath lineup was interesting to watch. I'm not sure if it was because it allowed us to spread out defensively or if it was because it coincided with a switch to man defense, but SMC stopped getting wide open corner 3's every time we put Zapala in.

Also, I got a pretty good laugh when Zapala slowly pushed his man from the paint out to the 3-point arc without expending any effort. The way he just kind of walked him back to his own bench was like watching a parent putting their toddler in "the timeout corner" until they're ready to play nice with the other kids.
These users thanked the author CodingAggieBlue for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 2nd, 2021, 11:26 pm

CodingAggieBlue wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 11:24 pm
Zapala made some pretty big stops for us defensively. The Zapala-Bean-Horvath lineup was interesting to watch. I'm not sure if it was because it allowed us to spread out defensively or if it was because it coincided with a switch to man defense, but SMC stopped getting wide open corner 3's every time we put Zapala in.

Also, I got a pretty good laugh when Zapala slowly pushed his man from the paint out to the 3-point arc without expending any effort. The way he just kind of walked him back to his own bench was like watching a parent putting their toddler in "the timeout corner" until they're ready to play nice with the other kids.
I didn't see that bit... I'll have to watch the replay. Maybe.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 2nd, 2021, 11:31 pm

I was worried when Zapala came in but he killed it out there. Very good minutes compared to my expectations.

smfdaggie

Post by smfdaggie » December 3rd, 2021, 12:34 pm

I liked that Zapala got some minutes and responded by doing a good job. He has great hands and runs the floor well for a big man. On offense he has a good touch and I feel that overall he has more to offer than Dorius. Hope he continues to get minutes.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » December 3rd, 2021, 5:22 pm

Good game by Zapala. He needs to learn not to foul though. Gave away 3 cheap fouls. Queta was like that early on.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » December 3rd, 2021, 5:32 pm

Pleasantly surprised at Zapala so far this year. Still not NBA ready but that just means he won't declare early... at least not this year. He has made huge improvement over last year and between him and Dorius i think we have serviceable backups at a true 5 position.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post:
slcagg

GoldcoastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by GoldcoastAggie » December 3rd, 2021, 5:40 pm

This was the first time I have watched him with extended minutes against good competition. One thing that really impressed me was his footwork and positioning on the defensive end. He seems to have really listened to all the coaching he has been given and is putting it to use. I have no idea what his offensive game is but I'm encouraged by his future.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 4th, 2021, 12:18 pm

GoldcoastAggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2021, 5:40 pm
This was the first time I have watched him with extended minutes against good competition. One thing that really impressed me was his footwork and positioning on the defensive end. He seems to have really listened to all the coaching he has been given and is putting it to use. I have no idea what his offensive game is but I'm encouraged by his future.
He has really good hands and passing. There is some potential there on offense.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 4th, 2021, 12:52 pm

Just a friendly reminder that he is essentially still a freshman with the covid year. I think he could be really good. Already making good progress.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionaggies22

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 4th, 2021, 2:57 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 10:24 pm
slcagg wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 10:21 pm
If Zapala keeps improving, Ashworth can be the spark like he has last couple games and Bairstow gets up to speed should have good bench. Zee usually provides some good minutes, he just needs to get stronger. Was able to get by his man just not strong enough to finish yet
See definitely needs to hit the weights. From my vantage point up on row 30 it looked like he was floating. Skinniest legs I’ve ever seen. Feed the boy, he’s gonna be a beast.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » December 5th, 2021, 8:50 pm

Odom wants to be able to move Horvath out of the 5 position, so its important that one of our two centers act like they know what to do. Zapala brings such tremendous energy to the floor when he’s out there, and he’s got somewhat of a clue about what to do offensively. Darius is a good defensive presence but he’s offering us nothing on offense but an occasional dunk. I really think Zapala is the answer at the five going forward, be it as a substitute or longer-term option.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post:
AggieFBObsession

BiocatAg

Post by BiocatAg » December 6th, 2021, 12:04 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
December 3rd, 2021, 5:22 pm
Good game by Zapala. He needs to learn not to foul though. Gave away 3 cheap fouls. Queta was like that early on.
I didn't like the fouls at the time, and after the game I realized that if he'd had one fewer, St. Mary's wouldn't have had the 1-and-1 FTs at the end of the game.

Not blaming the loss on Zapala at all. I thought he gave some good minutes, and you can look at any of the other fouls in the 2nd half. I just thought it was ironic that we did fairly well to stay out of foul trouble throughout the 2nd half and the first time they were in the bonus was on Bean's last foul.

Olderthandirt

Post by Olderthandirt » December 8th, 2021, 11:54 am

AggiesForever wrote:
December 5th, 2021, 8:50 pm
Odom wants to be able to move Horvath out of the 5 position, so its important that one of our two centers act like they know what to do. Zapala brings such tremendous energy to the floor when he’s out there, and he’s got somewhat of a clue about what to do offensively. Darius is a good defensive presence but he’s offering us nothing on offense but an occasional dunk. I really think Zapala is the answer at the five going forward, be it as a substitute or longer-term option.
I agree. Zapala has a much higher ceiling. I'm ready to give him all of Dorius' minutes right now.

Locked Previous topicNext topic