Complaining about the refs

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Elkaggie

Complaining about the refs

Post by Elkaggie » December 3rd, 2021, 11:52 am

I agree it was tough call and brutal way to decide a game like that BUT you can’t let it come down to that!

Make a free throw or two
Take care of the ball - way too many TO’s
make a layup -we had at least 3 easy ones that we missed
Get a rebound - they had a bunch of second chance points where we failed to box out and get a rebound
Jones needs to hit that shot at the end. I honestly think he makes that shot more than misses it. I think in the future that goes down.

I sat right behind the SM bench last night. Their coach was whining the entire second half that they hadn’t shot any free throws and they had called more fouls on them than us. He was right (I hate to admit it). It paid off big time at the end.

Having said that I will never cheer for them again. The obscenities and treatment he constantly threw at his own players and the way he belittled them the entire game was embarrassing. I am not surprised at all he didn’t shake anyone’s hand after the game. The guy has zero class including none for his own players. I have always like SM and cheered for them but after what I saw last night I won’t again and it had nothing to do with the outcome. He was a total Jackass and I would never let my son play for someone like that.

Aggie84025

Re: Complaining about the refs

Post by Aggie84025 » December 3rd, 2021, 11:59 am

I hate to complain about the refs as well I just want consistency. The travel with 2 minutes to go was a very suspect. Their was contact on the bean shot with no whistle and then the call the foul on bean (which it was in my opinion). I have no problem calling that foul (it was a fould), but not calling the one 5 seconds prior was poor. Fact is we had our chances. Rylan had a clean look and missed it. Eytle Rock had 2 shots at a bunny layup earlier in the half and he missed them both. Horvath missed 2 key free throws in the last 6 or so minutes. It just stings that we left it in the refs hands.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » December 3rd, 2021, 12:14 pm

Elkaggie wrote:I agree it was tough call and brutal way to decide a game like that BUT you can’t let it come down to that!

Make a free throw or two
Take care of the ball - way too many TO’s
make a layup -we had at least 3 easy ones that we missed
Get a rebound - they had a bunch of second chance points where we failed to box out and get a rebound
Jones needs to hit that shot at the end. I honestly think he makes that shot more than misses it. I think in the future that goes down.

I sat right behind the SM bench last night. Their coach was whining the entire second half that they hadn’t shot any free throws and they had called more fouls on them than us. He was right (I hate to admit it). It paid off big time at the end.

Having said that I will never cheer for them again. The obscenities and treatment he constantly threw at his own players and the way he belittled them the entire game was embarrassing. I am not surprised at all he didn’t shake anyone’s hand after the game. The guy has zero class including none for his own players. I have always like SM and cheered for them but after what I saw last night I won’t again and it had nothing to do with the outcome. He was a total Jackass and I would never let my son play for someone like that.
I'm in the same area as you and think this nailed this 100%. Dude as always reminded of the Gerber baby.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 3rd, 2021, 12:25 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 3rd, 2021, 11:59 am
I hate to complain about the refs as well I just want consistency. The travel with 2 minutes to go was a very suspect. Their was contact on the bean shot with no whistle and then the call the foul on bean (which it was in my opinion). I have no problem calling that foul (it was a fould), but not calling the one 5 seconds prior was poor. Fact is we had our chances. Rylan had a clean look and missed it. Eytle Rock had 2 shots at a bunny layup earlier in the half and he missed them both. Horvath missed 2 key free throws in the last 6 or so minutes. It just stings that we left it in the refs hands.
I honestly thought it was a travel at the game but the replay shows it wasn’t. Also Bean missed a fairly easy layup too down the stretch.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 3rd, 2021, 12:35 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2021, 12:25 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
I honestly thought it was a travel at the game but the replay shows it wasn’t. Also Bean missed a fairly easy layup too down the stretch.
I have no issue with the premise the Aggies had every opportunity to win. What galls me is a) the refs decided an otherwise great game with an unconscionable performance rather than let it be decided by the players. b) the blatant inconsistency of the treatment of the 3 final plays that determined which team prevailed in a tied game is irreconciable with the idea that this crew was acting nuetrally. c). The only ref intervention in play was for a situation that would have had no impact on the final outcome of the game had the refs not blown the whistle.

I agree the Aggies can only kick themselves for leaving it up to that crew. I also want to see a formal apology from someone and some repurcussions for the crew.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie840253rdGenAggiecval

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 3rd, 2021, 12:46 pm

I don't like to complain about the refs. Usually things even out, but Randy McCall decided this game. He should be embarrassed.

One of the things I hate about soccer is that the officials have too much power to decide the game because the level of scoring is so low and the penalty kick is an out-size penalty to apply...but even soccer doesn't ever allow a foul that occurs so far from scoring position to determine the outcome of a game.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
3rdGenAggie

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 3rd, 2021, 12:48 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2021, 12:35 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2021, 12:25 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
I have no issue with the premise the Aggies had every opportunity to win. What galls me is a) the refs decided an otherwise great game with an unconscionable performance rather than let it be decided by the players. b) the blatant inconsistency of the treatment of the 3 final plays that determined which team prevailed in a tied game is irreconciable with the idea that this crew was acting nuetrally. c). The only ref intervention in play was for a situation that would have had no impact on the final outcome of the game had the refs not blown the whistle.

I agree the Aggies can only kick themselves for leaving it up to that crew. I also want to see a formal apology from someone and some repurcussions for the crew.
Bingo.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

coolag

Post by coolag » December 3rd, 2021, 12:59 pm

In the words of Edward James Olmos from the movie stand and deliver "if I catch you on the street, I'm gonna kick the shi+ out of you". That's how I feel about Randy Mccall.

Regulator of Class

GoZags
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by GoZags » December 3rd, 2021, 2:31 pm

The only cheating I saw was the timekeeper not starting the clock on the final play. What was the deal with that?

At 0.9 seconds left, the USU players were calling for a travel .... after the SMC guy got bowled over after securing the rebound. Should "traveling" have been called? Or the blatent knocking over of the guy who had secured the rebound?

As for the final drive ... stop action replay confirmed the SMC guy went straight up (didn't come down on him at all).

Again, why didn't your timekeeper start the clock? THAT is the only "shaky" call ... and THAT was recified.

You are lying to yourself if you think you feel exactly the same way if this happened to the Zags. And no, traveling should not have been called on that rebound for the same reason that the foul shouldn't have been called, even if the travel were not the result of a bump.

You can say what you want about the missed call on Bean's shot, but the announcers felt very clearly that it was a foul and they are the only unbiased folks that have shared their opinion on that. I felt he went into Bean.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 3rd, 2021, 2:36 pm

GoZags wrote:
December 3rd, 2021, 2:31 pm
The only cheating I saw was the timekeeper not starting the clock on the final play. What was the deal with that?

At 0.9 seconds left, the USU players were calling for a travel .... after the SMC guy got bowled over after securing the rebound. Should "traveling" have been called? Or the blatent knocking over of the guy who had secured the rebound?

As for the final drive ... stop action replay confirmed the SMC guy went straight up (didn't come down on him at all).

Again, why didn't your timekeeper start the clock? THAT is the only "shaky" call ... and THAT was recified.
Get your lips off Randy McCall's butt.

The last 10 seconds of that game were an officiating disaster.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 3):
Real Life Aggiethegreendalegelfaggieguy13

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 3rd, 2021, 3:11 pm

GoZag obviously doesn't know how the clock works. Go check out the video and watch the ref at the bottom of the screen. He taps his left hip to start and stop the clock. You can join us in being upset with McCall as well.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 3rd, 2021, 3:13 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2021, 2:36 pm
GoZags wrote:

Get your lips off Randy McCall's butt.

The last 10 seconds of that game were an officiating disaster.
Hey, I thought we had a “no dumb little overpriced catholic school conference people” policy round these parts. Mods? Mods?

I will never understand where the Gonzagas, St. Mary’s and Pacifics of the world find people dumb enough to pay $30k+ a year in tuition for a 3rd tier degree.

Public school where it’s at, ya’ll.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Real Life Aggie

SaintAggie

Post by SaintAggie » December 3rd, 2021, 3:21 pm

I know people who went to Gonzaga. None of them paid, thier parents did. My sample size of 2 is enough for me to say with 8000 percent confidence that all zags are entitled rich kids.

coolag

Post by coolag » December 3rd, 2021, 3:54 pm

When you are known by name by many fans at many different schools (Randy Mccall, Dave Hall) you are a terrible ref. That's how it works.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post (total 3):
GeoAgFullNVAggie

Regulator of Class

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 3rd, 2021, 4:19 pm

coolag wrote:
December 3rd, 2021, 3:54 pm
When you are known by name by many fans at many different schools (Randy Mccall, Dave Hall) you are a terrible ref. That's how it works.
That is true.

AGGIE#10

Post by AGGIE#10 » December 3rd, 2021, 5:00 pm

I don't post much but I have to say what I'm feeling and then I'm moving on. First off I've played and reffed basketball at a fairly high level. Reffing is hard and calls are going to be missed just as shots are going to be missed. For the most part I believe it was a fairly evenly called game. They were letting the players play and I like that. You could have called this game much differently where multiple players foul out on both teams. With that said you need consistency in calls through the game. Reffing the game needs to be consistent. I could pull up multiple rebounds where there was as much contact or more with no calls made and again I'm fine with that what I'm not fine with is when a ref decides the game when it is called differently on the last play. That's why I'm ok with the no call on Bean. But for heavens sake don't decide the game 90 feet from the basket with 1 second left calling the game different!!!!!! Now I've had my say, I'm moving on.
These users thanked the author AGGIE#10 for the post (total 4):
GeoAg3rdGenAggieereksonaggieCodingAggieBlue

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » December 3rd, 2021, 8:39 pm

GoZags wrote:

You are lying to yourself if you think you feel exactly the same way if this happened to the Zags. And no, traveling should not have been called on that rebound for the same reason that the foul shouldn't have been called, even if the travel were not the result of a bump.

You can say what you want about the missed call on Bean's shot, but the announcers felt very clearly that it was a foul and they are the only unbiased folks that have shared their opinion on that. I felt he went into Bean.
The refs control the clock completely. The guy at the table is a backup.

Locked Previous topicNext topic