Coach Odom

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Dkdavis

Re: Coach Odom

Post by Dkdavis » March 6th, 2023, 2:59 pm

AngusAg wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 3:59 pm
bpd wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 2:44 pm
Blue Sage wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 2:27 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 10:37 am
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 10:24 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 9:56 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 9:48 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 9:33 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 8:47 am
GordoAggie wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 8:44 am
I really like what he did after the game last night. Loved the speech and how he gave the seniors a chance to address the crowd.
Final home crowd hoorah for Coach Odom.
Is he moving on?? :shock:
If he does then I say we go after Tim Miles.
I would also look at Mark Madsen.
I say Reggie Theus.

:pirate:
Perhaps Greg Heiar is still available?
Pretty sure 22 meant for the year…

No, he meant for good.

To
Complicate matters, the AD who hired Odom is gone and we wound have a president or AD during the hiring process. Not ideal.
Well, that scenario sucks. What coach wants to commit not knowing who their boss is going to be?

What the heck Odom, we hardly knew ye. What was the last coach's name, I forgot? To much rapid fire for my liking. :disappointed:
Does getting to the NCAA tournament now = the coach leaving?

USUaggienation

Post by USUaggienation » March 6th, 2023, 3:30 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 2:59 pm
AngusAg wrote:
bpd wrote:
Blue Sage wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 2:27 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 10:37 am
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 10:24 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 9:56 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 9:48 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 9:33 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 8:47 am
GordoAggie wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 8:44 am
I really like what he did after the game last night. Loved the speech and how he gave the seniors a chance to address the crowd.
Final home crowd hoorah for Coach Odom.
Is he moving on?? :shock:
If he does then I say we go after Tim Miles.
I would also look at Mark Madsen.
I say Reggie Theus.

:pirate:
Perhaps Greg Heiar is still available?
Pretty sure 22 meant for the year…

No, he meant for good.

To
Complicate matters, the AD who hired Odom is gone and we wound have a president or AD during the hiring process. Not ideal.
Well, that scenario sucks. What coach wants to commit not knowing who their boss is going to be?

What the heck Odom, we hardly knew ye. What was the last coach's name, I forgot? To much rapid fire for my liking. :disappointed:
I’ll take a stab at this just based on memory … it seems like in our conference, in order to get the offer the coach is looking for, they have to show the ability to get their team to the ncaa tournament on a repeat basis. Examples that come to mind are Musselman and Craig Smith (maybe as far back Alford at UNM). I don’t know exactly whether Dutcher has received offers or if he just chooses to stay there. But that seems to be the case, based on my highly unscientific analysis.

If someone cares to actually research the history of coaches leaving the conference for higher paying jobs … please fill us in.

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » March 6th, 2023, 5:12 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 2:59 pm
AngusAg wrote:
bpd wrote:
[

No, he meant for good.

To

Short answer - in second year of contract filling behind a tournament level program... no, especially if the tournament ends up being a one and done.

I get that to expect someone to put USU ahead of personal ambitions is not realistic. But I also think that it's totally within reason to expect a minimum deposit before moving on. There was a sizable investment (in more ways than just monetary) made to get him and his recruits integrated into the program. I think your employer, the fans and definitely the team deserve a certain level of commitment. Two years ain't it. That's just the way I'm wired.

WTS, I like Odom and think he has done a great job and would love to see him stay.

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » March 6th, 2023, 5:33 pm

Why did this topic get started. Players see this, parents of Players see this. There is no announcement, just hypothesis. This seems very distracting and negative before the MW tournament. Disturbing to say the least, while we giant minds explain how much we don’t know.
These users thanked the author Agezzz for the post (total 6):
ThunderAggieDkdavissmfdaggieosuaggiequirkyvegasaggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 6th, 2023, 8:44 pm

AngusAg wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 10:49 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 10:27 am
gomretat wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 9:06 am
If he leaves, what players will follow him out the door?
I can’t see Steven leaving to follow Odom east. I suppose I could see Max leaving.

Everyone else worth taking is exhausting their eligibility and/or hanging it up.
Good points sir, but what keeps it from extending to committed or future recruits. (say Falslev, Johnson, Sakho, Grant, Templin, etc. or even Davis kid at Hillcrest or Barnes at Olympus)?
Utah LDS kids in the program don’t strike me as flight risks. Falslev and Johnson seem like they want to live and play in Utah and are committed to the school rather than a coach. Dallin Grant is likely the same, and wasn’t even an Odom recruit. IMO, we’d likely be lucky if he took Sakho off our hands.

Phelps and Templin maybe? Those wouldn’t be fun ones to lose. The Davis and Barnes kids are too far in the future for me to even know if they are any good, so simply wouldn’t care on them.

I dunno, I guess I could see Shulga following him (but why he’d give up what would clearly be a feature role here next year is difficult to see). Maybe Phelps and Templin ask to be released from their LOIs, but USU was the best offer each of them got.

I mean, I just am not seeing an exodus following Odom to the east or southeast.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on March 6th, 2023, 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 6th, 2023, 8:46 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 8:44 pm
AngusAg wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 10:49 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 10:27 am
gomretat wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 9:06 am
If he leaves, what players will follow him out the door?
I can’t see Steven leaving to follow Odom east. I suppose I could see Max leaving.

Everyone else worth taking is exhausting their eligibility and/or hanging it up.
Good points sir, but what keeps it from extending to committed or future recruits. (say Falslev, Johnson, Sakho, Grant, Templin, etc. or even Davis kid at Hillcrest or Barnes at Olympus)?
Utah LDS kids in the program don’t strike me as flight risks. Falslev and Johnson seem like they want to live and play in Utah and are committed to the school rather than a coach. Dallin Grant is likely the same, and wasn’t even an Odom recruit. IMO, we’d likely be lucky if he took Sakho off our hands.

Phelps and Templin maybe? Those wouldn’t be fun ones to lose. The Davis and Barnes kids are too far in the future for me to even know if they are any good, so simply wouldn’t care on them.

I dunno, I guess I could see Shulga following him (but why he’d give up what would clearly be a feature role here next year is difficult to see). Maybe Phelps and Templin ask to be released from their LOIs, but USU was the best offer each of them got.
Templin also had unlv.

But I see templin wanting to be in Utah. Just a lot of lds recruits are that way. Not all obviously.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 6th, 2023, 8:54 pm

If Odom is considering leaving, my suspicion is he may just want to head back to the east/south. Let’s all be honest that his fit here is a little weird given his background and connections.

I’ll enjoy him as long as he’s here. I’m with others though. If he leaves, Miles is my first call, and I’d prioritize someone with Western connections.

I feel bad for the players when coaches leave, but I feel no affinity for any particular coach. They are hired mercs, and we are a springboard stopping point between low major and high major athletics. Perhaps one of the better springboards, but a springboard nonetheless.

jazzdog56466

Post by jazzdog56466 » March 6th, 2023, 8:59 pm

Why are we assuming he wants to leave? People move from the Midwest and East Coast to the mountain west region every day…and love it. Not everyone wants to go back to where they are from. I grew up in Minnesota, and I’m not actively looking for job offers from that hell hole lol.
These users thanked the author jazzdog56466 for the post (total 2):
Section_L_AggieFloridaAggie13

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 6th, 2023, 9:01 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 8:54 pm
If Odom is considering leaving, my suspicion is he may just want to head back to the east/south. Let’s all be honest that his fit here is a little weird given his background and connections.

I’ll enjoy him as long as he’s here. I’m with others though. If he leaves, Miles is my first call.
Yeah I’ve loved Odom. I will always Love Odom. I hope he stays here for forever. I won’t be shocked if he does take a P5 job back east. His fit was a little weird, borderline overqualified to an extent. Had P5 offers in the past. No EQP real connections out here.

He’s still been the best coach in our program, outside of Stew of course.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 6th, 2023, 9:01 pm

jazzdog56466 wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 8:59 pm
Why are we assuming he wants to leave? People move from the Midwest and East Coast to the mountain west region every day…and love it. Not everyone wants to go back to where they are from. I grew up in Minnesota, and I’m not actively looking for job offers from that hell hole lol.
Because two insiders in this very thread have suggested as much?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 6th, 2023, 9:04 pm

Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 9:23 am
I hadn’t heard how much his wife loves the valley so I was optimistic he’d stay ;)
Lol this is the best comment.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
Section_L_AggieViAggie

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » March 6th, 2023, 9:28 pm

How ‘bout we leave the abused puppy/jilted lover thread alone until after the NCAA tournament? This is nothing but unproductive and anxiety inducing for us and anyone associated with the program.

Let’s enjoy the current ride and team of Aggies we get to see play!
These users thanked the author Section_L_Aggie for the post (total 7):
smfdaggieaggie4LBustaMcNuttjazzdog56466vegasaggieAggie84025Real Life Aggie

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 6th, 2023, 9:39 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 9:04 pm
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
March 5th, 2023, 9:23 am
I hadn’t heard how much his wife loves the valley so I was optimistic he’d stay ;)
Lol this is the best comment.
Conner Odom is a junior says I as I drop the mic and walk away victorious. 💥
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

#hornsup!

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » March 6th, 2023, 10:58 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 9:01 pm
jazzdog56466 wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 8:59 pm
Because two insiders in this very thread have suggested as much?
Yea but like they're being majorly vague. And I highly highly highly highly doubt that Odom while preparing for a conference championship is talking to schools and trying to move out. That's a off-season thing.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 7th, 2023, 6:28 am

Here is Big Boomer's take on where Odom fits this year.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
USU78

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 7th, 2023, 9:04 am

gomretat wrote:
March 7th, 2023, 6:28 am
No Tim Miles? Wow
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
aggies22

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 7th, 2023, 9:55 am

I'm not worried about Odom, I mean even if the Utes job opens up I doubt they would take another USU guy this soon.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » March 7th, 2023, 10:03 am

I'm a big fan of Odom. Not only does he run a good program, but he does it the right way. Would love to have him in Logan for many years to come.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 4):
osuaggieaggies22stewusu98FloridaAggie13

gwaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by gwaggie » March 7th, 2023, 10:09 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
gomretat wrote:
No Tim Miles? Wow
As if we needed any reminder that bgb has no idea what he’s talking about, he’s clueless (though I’m glad he liked Logan)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author gwaggie for the post:
MrBiggle

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » March 7th, 2023, 10:11 am

In all reality if Odom does decided to leave, what are the odds that we can get Tim Miles here ??? (Assuming that’s our number 1 target like I hope it is)

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 7th, 2023, 10:24 am

I would doubt we could get Miles from SJSU to Logan. It is a step up historically but one more year of SJSU being top half of the conference and he will get bigger names calling if he hasn't already. Only way he would come to USU is if he thinks sustained winning at SJSU is not manageable and he things Logan would be a good place to end his career.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post:
aggies22

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 7th, 2023, 11:25 am

Coloraggie wrote:
March 7th, 2023, 10:24 am
I would doubt we could get Miles from SJSU to Logan. It is a step up historically but one more year of SJSU being top half of the conference and he will get bigger names calling if he hasn't already. Only way he would come to USU is if he thinks sustained winning at SJSU is not manageable and he things Logan would be a good place to end his career.
I really think at this point in his career I could see Tim being satisfied staying in Logan. He's chased the money and prestige of the P5 and it exploded in his face. He really likes the MW conference as well and knows how to win in this conference.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
aggies22

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 7th, 2023, 11:31 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 7th, 2023, 11:25 am
Coloraggie wrote:
I really think at this point in his career I could see Tim being satisfied staying in Logan. He's chased the money and prestige of the P5 and it exploded in his face. He really likes the MW conference as well and knows how to win in this conference.
But would he leave SJSU to come here since he has the MW job and having success. If we got him rather than Odom two years ago I agree with you that he might stay here, but will he leave SJSU for Logan?

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 7th, 2023, 11:35 am

Coloraggie wrote:
March 7th, 2023, 11:31 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Coloraggie wrote:
But would he leave SJSU to come here since he has the MW job and having success. If we got him rather than Odom two years ago I agree with you that he might stay here, but will he leave SJSU for Logan?
He wanted the job when we hired Odom so hopefully there aren't any sour grapes, but what does SJSU offer that Utah State can't besides nice weather? Coaches don't want their players playing in front of 100 fans. SJSU will never have fan support, and their budget will always be limited as well.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
aggies22slcagg

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 7th, 2023, 12:07 pm

An award for Coach O.

https://themw.com/sports/mbball
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025aggies22FloridaAggie13

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » March 7th, 2023, 12:21 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
March 7th, 2023, 12:07 pm
An award for Coach O.

Who is Skip?

Where only sage brush grows

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 7th, 2023, 12:22 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
An award for Coach O.

That is a great honor for him to be a finalist for that award. I don't know coach Odom personally but just from my outside perspective he seems like a great person.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
slcagg

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 7th, 2023, 12:25 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
March 7th, 2023, 12:21 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
An award for Coach O.

Who is Skip?
Copied and pasted from the article:
The Skip Prosser Man of the Year award is named in honor of the late Skip Prosser, former coach at Wake Forest, Xavier and Loyola (Md.). Prosser averaged 21 wins per season in his six years at Wake Forest. He passed away of an apparent heart attack on July 26, 2007, in his office at Wake Forest.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
MrBiggle

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » March 7th, 2023, 1:12 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 7th, 2023, 11:35 am
Coloraggie wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Coloraggie wrote:
He wanted the job when we hired Odom so hopefully there aren't any sour grapes, but what does SJSU offer that Utah State can't besides nice weather? Coaches don't want their players playing in front of 100 fans. SJSU will never have fan support, and their budget will always be limited as well.
What about Paskernack (spelling) the coach at UCSB and former Arizona assistant. He’s had good records at UCSB.

I of course hope we aren’t searching for a new coach and Odom is here a while longer

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 7th, 2023, 3:34 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
March 7th, 2023, 1:12 pm
He wanted the job when we hired Odom so hopefully there aren't any sour grapes, but what does SJSU offer that Utah State can't besides nice weather?
Low expectations. He would be revered at San Jose State for regularly leading them to even the CBI and CIT, let alone the NIT and an occasional NCAA appearance even if it's a one and done. Fans here would be disappointed with regular CBI and CIT appearances cause we want NCAA appearances and occasional wins in the dance.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 7th, 2023, 3:37 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
What about Paskernack (spelling) the coach at UCSB and former Arizona assistant. He’s had good records at UCSB.

I of course hope we aren’t searching for a new coach and Odom is here a while longer
It's Pasternak and was rumored the scandals that happened while he was at Arizona and partially to blame for was a deterrent to us hiring him last time around.

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » March 7th, 2023, 3:45 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 7th, 2023, 11:35 am
Coloraggie wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Coloraggie wrote:

Would love to have him if our job opens up again

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 7th, 2023, 6:02 pm

gomretat wrote:
Dang, not even our former guy with the "better job" made that list LOL :lol:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

GaryTakeTheWheel

Post by GaryTakeTheWheel » March 7th, 2023, 9:53 pm

Rumor is a large, historic basketball school in the east is looking at him. Mutual interest. We'll see.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » March 7th, 2023, 9:59 pm

GaryTakeTheWheel wrote:
March 7th, 2023, 9:53 pm
Rumor is a large, historic basketball school in the east is looking at him. Mutual interest. We'll see.
Doesn’t sound great with him being from east coast and USU still without key leadership

Locked Previous topicNext topic