Is SDSU a school or a retirement community?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
EngineeringAggie

Is SDSU a school or a retirement community?

Post by EngineeringAggie » March 11th, 2023, 10:42 pm

Did anybody happen to bump into some students from SDSU? Do they exist? It looks like a few huge 60 and older communities decided to sponsor a team. Can anybody on here confirm that there is actually a campus and they teach more than just bingo and shuffleboard?
These users thanked the author EngineeringAggie for the post (total 4):
SLBFloridaAggie13aggies22Aggie in Boise

SLB

Re: Is SDSU a school or a retirement community?

Post by SLB » March 11th, 2023, 10:44 pm

EngineeringAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2023, 10:42 pm
Did anybody happen to bump into some students from SDSU? Do they exist? It looks like a few huge 60 and older communities decided to sponsor a team. Can anybody on here confirm that there is actually a campus and they teach more than just bingo and shuffleboard?
You ran into Seiko's kids
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 4):
hipsterdoofus21FloridaAggie13StanfordAggieAggie in Boise

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » March 12th, 2023, 7:53 am

EngineeringAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2023, 10:42 pm
Did the Show no-show?

USUaggienation

Post by USUaggienation » March 12th, 2023, 9:24 am

They really had little to no presence. I’ve decided they only exist on Twitter.
These users thanked the author USUaggienation for the post (total 3):
Zaggie07aggies22AggieFBObsession

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » March 12th, 2023, 1:40 pm

They had a very sorry little section in the upper bowl. We literally didn’t notice them until near the end of the game, so yes, basically a no-show. USU had by far the most impressive student section… most teams didn’t even have one.
These users thanked the author TrueAggieman for the post:
GaryTakeTheWheel

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 12th, 2023, 3:00 pm

I’ve noticed at tournaments our students tend to travel better but other alumni tend to travel better than ours

I think it’s because Vegas is a pretty easy spring break trip for our students. It’s close, it can be affordable if you put enough people in the room and our students are less likely to go to the “spring break destinations”

Meanwhile our alumni are not necessarily interested in Vegas whereas other alumni may enjoy vegas more.

Obviously there are some better than others and I’m going based on when I last went and counting shirts around vegas and in our games.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
Zaggie07

Baller
Has thanked: 0

Post by Baller » March 12th, 2023, 9:25 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 12th, 2023, 3:00 pm
I’ve noticed at tournaments our students tend to travel better but other alumni tend to travel better than ours

I think it’s because Vegas is a pretty easy spring break trip for our students. It’s close, it can be affordable if you put enough people in the room and our students are less likely to go to the “spring break destinations”

Meanwhile our alumni are not necessarily interested in Vegas whereas other alumni may enjoy vegas more.

Obviously there are some better than others and I’m going based on when I last went and counting shirts around vegas and in our games.
Aztec fan chiming in, the “no-Show” was sad. I wish more fans showed up but at least we had a large and boisterous crowd overall. What do Utah St fans and student do in Vegas? It seems like a weird place for them to go given the religious limitations. Just hotel to game and back?
These users thanked the author Baller for the post (total 2):
AGinNEIowaReal Life Aggie

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » March 12th, 2023, 9:32 pm

Baller wrote:
March 12th, 2023, 9:25 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
March 12th, 2023, 3:00 pm

Aztec fan chiming in, the “no-Show” was sad. I wish more fans showed up but at least we had a large and boisterous crowd overall. What do Utah St fans and student do in Vegas? It seems like a weird place for them to go given the religious limitations. Just hotel to game and back?
All you can eat buffets for the win :rock:
These users thanked the author TrueBlueFan for the post:
LKGates

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 12th, 2023, 9:33 pm

Baller wrote:
March 12th, 2023, 9:25 pm
A) A lot of Utah State fans aren't Mormon.
B) I don't think most Mormon's adhere to as strict of limitations as you may think. They may not be drinking but Vegas has lots of shows and other things to do...and lot's of Mormon's gamble.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 3):
LKGatesGUSAggieBlues

USUaggienation

Post by USUaggienation » March 13th, 2023, 2:51 pm

As a point of fairness, I have to mention that I met some very respectful and basketball-educated Aztec fans during this past trip to the conference tournament. And I have been forced to reconsider my opinion of San Diego State fans as a whole.

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » March 13th, 2023, 3:20 pm

A comment from a middle aged Aztec fan during the Scotsman at halftime "This is a F#*@ing Mormon Cult song!"
These users thanked the author tysteve20 for the post:
Gidbob

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » March 13th, 2023, 3:58 pm

[/quote]
[/quote]

To be honest, I don't really enjoy Vegas that much. It would probably be one of my last travel destinations if it weren't for the Mountain West Tournament. I have attended every year now for the last five years and have discovered pretty much everything you can do that doesn't include drinking, gambling, or strip clubs, and for reference, I graduated college two years ago.

Outside of attending all of the basketball games, there isn't a whole lot of time for other activities. Here's my list of things we like to do, though:
  • Book a hotel with a heated pool
    Go hiking at Red Rock Canyon
    Pinball (This is more fun than slots to me and cheaper)
    Find fun places to eat
    Go shopping (something my wife enjoys, so I roll with it)
    Dave and Busters Arcade (This can be fun with a big group of friends)
    Find a new "Try it once activity" such as:
    - Omega Mart
    - VR
    - Roller coasters
    - Walk the Strip
    - Stratosphere rides
    - Hover Dam
    - I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out
Pretty much anything can be fun if you get a large group of friends to go down. The highlight really has been the basketball. 4/5 years we've gone down, the Aggies have made it to the championship game.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 13th, 2023, 5:36 pm

I also think the SDSU fans were better. Perhaps I've been jaded by a small percentage of obnoxious fans in the past. It seems a much higher percentage of UNM fans are awful, though not every one of them, just the majority. I had a few pleasant interactions with SDSU fans this tournament.

Baller
Has thanked: 0

Post by Baller » March 13th, 2023, 5:37 pm

tysteve20 wrote:
March 13th, 2023, 3:20 pm
A comment from a middle aged Aztec fan during the Scotsman at halftime "This is a F#*@ing Mormon Cult song!"
Is that the fight song? What does the hand motion up and down signify? I was there with my dad and we were trying to understand it. We thought maybe milking a cow cause there were students shirtless with the word “Moooo” spelled out so we thought may be some cowboy theme? I liked how everyone knew the song…us Aztec fans don’t know the words to our fight song aside from the very last part.

But congrats on your student section, you’ve surpassed the Show as the premier conference student section.

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » March 13th, 2023, 6:34 pm

Baller wrote:
March 13th, 2023, 5:37 pm
tysteve20 wrote:
Is that the fight song? What does the hand motion up and down signify? I was there with my dad and we were trying to understand it. We thought maybe milking a cow cause there were students shirtless with the word “Moooo” spelled out so we thought may be some cowboy theme? I liked how everyone knew the song…us Aztec fans don’t know the words to our fight song aside from the very last part.

But congrats on your student section, you’ve surpassed the Show as the premier conference student section.
It's what is referred to as our "spirit song," but most of the time it is played right after our fight song. Think "We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions" in a way.

The hand motion is in fact cow milking. Many people don't know that, so nice catch.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 13th, 2023, 6:42 pm

I've decided that most of the bad SDSU fans are on Twitter and AztecMesa. Most of the ones I've encountered on Reddit and in person have been pretty nice with the occasional bad egg...but you get that in any fan base. Walking out of the T&M I had plenty of games complement us on our team and someone from The Show actually came over to the HURD to compliment them on the Leon Tantrum Tracker.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 13th, 2023, 7:24 pm

It's been a few years since I was in Boise for a game, but I can't recall having had a bad fan interaction with them in person. And typically at the tournaments, I really enjoy my interactions with other teams that we aren't currently playing.

I had some bad interactions with some Wyoming fans and a Nevada fan, but, given that I was the loudmouthed obnoxious visitor in their arenas, those might be on me. However, it's been a few years; things could have changed drastically. I don't recall quite as much vehemence against Boise (is not a) State at the time. It was mostly jokes about them all being truckers.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
aggieguy13

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » March 13th, 2023, 7:45 pm

I've had really nice interactions with the grand majority of other teams' fans with one glaring exception. I've actually quite enjoyed the fans of different conference mates we've had over the decades.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 13th, 2023, 11:00 pm

Zaggie07 wrote:
March 13th, 2023, 6:34 pm
Baller wrote:
tysteve20 wrote:

It's what is referred to as our "spirit song," but most of the time it is played right after our fight song. Think "We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions" in a way.

The hand motion is in fact cow milking. Many people don't know that, so nice catch.
:shock: WHA??!! Is this honestly being taught to current students as the reason or history behind the motion? If so, I swear I may have to turn in my Scotsman fan card. This would be more egregious than adopting The Hurd as the name for the entire student section.

This had ZERO to do with cow milking when it started. It is a question that has been asked before and discussed here. I'll post the links when I find them so as to not rehash the entire thing.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
USU78Aggiefan33

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » March 13th, 2023, 11:16 pm

Aglicious wrote:
March 13th, 2023, 11:00 pm
Zaggie07 wrote:
Baller wrote:
tysteve20 wrote:

:shock: WHA??!! Is this honestly being taught to current students as the reason or history behind the motion? If so, I swear I may have to turn in my Scotsman fan card. This would be more egregious than adopting The Hurd as the name for the entire student section.

This had ZERO to do with cow milking when it started. It is a question that has been asked before and discussed here. I'll post the links when I find them so as to not rehash the entire thing.
Yeah, that's what I was taught when I was in school, but that was 15+ years ago. Sounds like it has persisted. Happy to be corrected.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 13th, 2023, 11:24 pm

Zaggie07 wrote:
March 13th, 2023, 11:16 pm
Aglicious wrote:
Zaggie07 wrote:
Baller wrote:
tysteve20 wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was taught when I was in school, but that was 15+ years ago. Sounds like it has persisted. Happy to be corrected.
Probably a rumor started by the original "Hurd" who were anything but rabid student fans. This sort of makes me sad. BYU fans also love to perpetuate that the hand motion is milking cows like the bunch of farmers we are.

Aggies1888

Post by Aggies1888 » March 13th, 2023, 11:25 pm

Zaggie07 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Zaggie07 wrote:
Baller wrote:
tysteve20 wrote:

Here you go, my friend:
http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic ... 858#p34858
These users thanked the author Aggies1888 for the post:
USU78

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » March 13th, 2023, 11:42 pm

Aglicious wrote:
March 13th, 2023, 11:24 pm
Zaggie07 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Zaggie07 wrote:
Baller wrote:
tysteve20 wrote:

Probably a rumor started by the original "Hurd" who were anything but rabid student fans. This sort of makes me sad. BYU fans also love to perpetuate that the hand motion is milking cows like the bunch of farmers we are.
It always kind of made sense. The school was originally the AC, still has strong programs. Aggie Ice Cream is the best. It doesn't bother me when people call us farmers. What is an Aggie anyway? It's our heritage and something to be proud of regardless whether some dimwits think it's an insult. Farmers are badass. Better than something that has no real meaning. I know the school is way more than that now, I just appreciate that we haven't lost connection with our roots.
These users thanked the author Zaggie07 for the post:
jazzdog56466

USUaggienation

Post by USUaggienation » March 14th, 2023, 2:19 am

I’ve heard a number of theories over the years including the bushwacker tag team to some sort of highland battle march in relation to the Scotsman song. And maybe those are the true origins of the motion. But for the majority of students/fans it’s viewed as being symbolic of milking a cow and I find that more meaningful.

There are very few things I find more infuriating than when any of our fans show any amount of shame for our school’s agricultural background or if they are even remotely embarrassed to be associated with farmers. Let’s not forget that farmer is by far the most important profession in society and LITERALLY every single human on the earth is alive only because an agriculturist (Aggie) provided a way for that individual to be alive. To put it in perspective, the Avengers only wish they could save even half as many lives as Aggies.

So milk those cows and be proud to Aggies!
These users thanked the author USUaggienation for the post (total 3):
NVAggieUSU78jazzdog56466

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 14th, 2023, 8:03 am

Aggies1888 wrote:
March 13th, 2023, 11:25 pm
Zaggie07 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Zaggie07 wrote:
Baller wrote:
tysteve20 wrote:

But congrats on your student section, you’ve surpassed the Show as the premier conference student section

Here you go, my friend:
Thenkyou!
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
Aggies1888

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 14th, 2023, 10:36 am

USU78 wrote:
March 14th, 2023, 8:03 am
Aggies1888 wrote:
March 13th, 2023, 11:25 pm
Zaggie07 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Zaggie07 wrote:
Baller wrote:
tysteve20 wrote:

But congrats on your student section, you’ve surpassed the Show as the premier conference student section

Here you go, my friend:
Thenkyou!
And a couple more:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41202&p=442970#p442970
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12479

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 14th, 2023, 10:38 am

Let's be honest, the origins of the Scotsman movements have been discussed for decades in multiple posts on multiple boards. We will be doing this again in a couple of years.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Zaggie07

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 14th, 2023, 10:41 am

NVAggie wrote:
March 14th, 2023, 10:38 am
Let's be honest, the origins of the Scotsman movements have been discussed for decades in multiple posts on multiple boards. We will be doing this again in a couple of years.
Whatever it takes to never forget the Bushwhackers and the Spectrum's Bushwhacking Crew that first marched down the aisles pumping everyone up with their arm motions. :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman:

Locked Previous topicNext topic