Ryan Odom Decision Tree

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AgsRock
Has thanked: 0

Ryan Odom Decision Tree

Post by AgsRock » March 28th, 2023, 9:20 am

VCU - Good program if not very good mid major program, tradition and consistent tourney appearances. I get this choice if he is offered.

USF - What the hell, terrible program, no tradition, but good weather. I don't get this choice if he takes it.

Either way, I'm sensitive, but if you don't want to be here, get out.

JFWAggie

Re: Ryan Odom Decision Tree

Post by JFWAggie » March 28th, 2023, 9:35 am

I agree, he obviously doesn't want to be here, and after all this, I don't want him here anymore either!
These users thanked the author JFWAggie for the post:
SaintAggie

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 28th, 2023, 9:37 am

The VCU job popping up is screwing us. This should be over already.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 28th, 2023, 9:40 am

AgsRock wrote:
March 28th, 2023, 9:20 am
VCU - Good program if not very good mid major program, tradition and consistent tourney appearances. I get this choice if he is offered.

USF - What the hell, terrible program, no tradition, but good weather. I don't get this choice if he takes it.

I haven't been in Cache Valley once this winter. I actually live in what most would consider to be a much bleaker, colder, and harsh climate but in winters past I have preferred it greatly to the inversions of Cache Valley and the Wasatch front just because of the sun and the snow blowing away. This winter has had little sun as well as being the coldest in the 10 years I've been in this part of Wyoming and if Cache Valley has been anything comparitive with the lack of sun, South Florida is definitely striking at the right time...lol. Might be just cabin fever. A lot of us might make the same irrational decision after 4.5 months of this. :noidea:

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 28th, 2023, 9:50 am

And he can take his time making a decision knowing that after April 1 he'll be a more attractive candidate.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 28th, 2023, 10:00 am

I would gladly take Odom back after all of this. He’s a great coach, and a great human being.

My gosh, it’s not like he’s leaving us in the middle of The night to our enemy 50 miles south of us, while lying to the AD and Team, telling all of them that he wasn’t even interested in the job, then 12 hours later he it is announced he is taking said job. Without letting us even counter, or work to get him what he may want. Losing Voldemort turned out to be a great thing for us, but still, he left in the most unprofessional way. Odom isn’t

The Athletic Department has for sure known about this for awhile, this isn’t a surprise. Odom has wanted a new contract for a long time.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post (total 11):
bluegrouseLarryTheAggieCastIronAggieflying_scotsman2.0AngusAgaggies22Real Life AggieSaintAggiejazzdog56466quirky and one more user

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 28th, 2023, 10:02 am

He might be yanking us around but I see no evidence of it. This started to heat up on Thursday/Friday and has only gone on for a few days so far which would actually a very quick job search and decision process. If he has options coming that are jobs of interest, why wouldn't he wait? As for why he would leave, people move and take jobs for all kinds of reasons. Assuming we know or assuming that he would be leaving for the same reasons we would makes no sense. He could really like Logan and like coaching here and still want to move on for something else. I did the same thing multiple times. And I still hope he stays.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 28th, 2023, 10:04 am

Penn State coach/salary has to approved by Board/Regents in a public meeting. Apparently there is one tomorrow. Most expect VCU’s Rhoades to be hired.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 28th, 2023, 10:06 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
March 28th, 2023, 10:00 am
I would gladly take Odom back after all of this. He’s a great coach, and a great human being.

My gosh, it’s not like he’s leaving us in the middle of The night to our enemy 50 miles south of us, while lying to the AD and Team, telling all of them that he wasn’t even interested in the job, then 12 hours later he it is announced he is taking said job. Without letting us even counter, or work to get him what he may want. Losing Voldemort turned out to be a great thing for us, but still, he left in the most unprofessional way. Odom isn’t

The Athletic Department has for sure known about this for awhile, this isn’t a surprise. Odom has wanted a new contract for a long time.
This. People act like a coach is a lover. If the coach expresses interest in another job they must be immediately dumped for someone that would rather be with you.

2 problems with that. First, any and all coaches will leave for the right opportunity so in that sense no coach is worth hiring. Second, a coach is not a lover, a coach is doing a job and as long as they can do that job at a high level you keep them.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 28th, 2023, 10:07 am

gomretat wrote:He might be yanking us around but I see no evidence of it. This started to heat up on Thursday/Friday and has only gone on for a few days so far which would actually a very quick job search and decision process. If he has options coming that are jobs of interest, why wouldn't he wait? As for why he would leave, people move and take jobs for all kinds of reasons. Assuming we know or assuming that he would be leaving for the same reasons we would makes no sense. He could really like Logan and like coaching here and still want to move on for something else. I did the same thing multiple times. And I still hope he stays.
There is two sides to every story but the fact that two posters said bye bye Odom before the MWC tournament even started definitely has not helped the feelings being written on this board. It instantly created the notion that he doesn’t like it here. To be that sure before most college openings were even known seems to suggest he wanted out of here at all costs. At least one was a very good source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 28th, 2023, 10:11 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 28th, 2023, 10:06 am
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
March 28th, 2023, 10:00 am

This. People act like a coach is a lover. If the coach expresses interest in another job they must be immediately dumped for someone that would rather be with you.

2 problems with that. First, any and all coaches will leave for the right opportunity so in that sense no coach is worth hiring. Second, a coach is not a lover, a coach is doing a job and as long as they can do that job at a high level you keep them.
It would be one thing if every press conference Odom was saying He’s going to stay in Logan for life, no matter what others offer, etc. and then took an offer for a lateral move, with a big pay day.

He didn’t do that, and just because he is putting feelers out there and interviewing doesn’t mean he hated us all the entir time he was here. His boss/friend was fired. The school president was fired. We doesn’t know who the next AD or President is. It’s a (I can't express myself without swearing) show. I don’t blame him. In fact it would be bad if him not to try and get to a place where the AD/President are in place.

But objectively speaking, we all knew he wasn’t the type to stay in Logan for 20 years. He came and embraced us, won a lot of games, got us to the tournament, quickly, after the last coach left the cupboard completely dry.

I take no problem with him getting a pay day and moving back closer to his family and his home.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
LarryTheAggie

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 28th, 2023, 10:13 am

Usu0505 wrote:
March 28th, 2023, 10:07 am
gomretat wrote:He might be yanking us around but I see no evidence of it. This started to heat up on Thursday/Friday and has only gone on for a few days so far which would actually a very quick job search and decision process. If he has options coming that are jobs of interest, why wouldn't he wait? As for why he would leave, people move and take jobs for all kinds of reasons. Assuming we know or assuming that he would be leaving for the same reasons we would makes no sense. He could really like Logan and like coaching here and still want to move on for something else. I did the same thing multiple times. And I still hope he stays.
There is two sides to every story but the fact that two posters said bye bye Odom before the MWC tournament even started definitely has not helped the feelings being written on this board. It instantly created the notion that he doesn’t like it here. To be that sure before most college openings were even known seems to suggest he wanted out of here at all costs. At least one was a very good source.

I heard from very close sources that he was wanting an extension for a long while, and Bovee wasn’t allowed to work on it until after the season and Odom starting getting other offers/interviews.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 28th, 2023, 10:14 am

AgsRock wrote:
March 28th, 2023, 9:20 am

VCU is a very good program with very good fan support. I can see why that job would interest Odom especially since it is in the locale where he wants to be. USF while the money is really good is a graveyard in terms of fan support and program excitement. He just needs to make a damn decision and hopefully quickly.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 28th, 2023, 12:30 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

I heard from very close sources that he was wanting an extension for a long while, and Bovee wasn’t allowed to work on it until after the season and Odom starting getting other offers/interviews.
That would definitely change things. Are extensions usually done mid season in year 2 with a bubble team? Honestly just curious

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 28th, 2023, 12:42 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
March 28th, 2023, 10:13 am
Usu0505 wrote:

Yeah, sorry — but you don’t deserve an extension mid-season while a bubble team after underachieving the year before and going to the NIT with what should have been an NCAA tourney team.

If Odom is butthurt about that, he needs to calm down.

I think it’s far more likely he and his family just want to move back East.

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » March 28th, 2023, 12:46 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 28th, 2023, 12:42 pm
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

Yeah, sorry — but you don’t deserve an extension mid-season while a bubble team after underachieving the year before and going to the NIT with what should have been an NCAA tourney team.

I didn't expect any post season at all last year. Not even the CBI. Odom overachieved in his first season and met if not exceeded expectations this season.

So i don't know what you're going on about.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 28th, 2023, 12:51 pm

FootballAgg wrote:
March 28th, 2023, 12:46 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

I didn't expect any post season at all last year. Not even the CBI. Odom overachieved in his first season and met if not exceeded expectations this season.

What are/were your expectations? The 3 years prior to Odom arriving the Aggies won the MWC conference championship twice and went to 3 straight NCAA tourneys. Based on the team i expected to have this year that was put together by Odom I did not think we would make it to the NCAA tourney. So in that regard Odom did outperform my expectations only because I did not think the preseason team was going to be great. But in terms of Utah State overall expectations he met them by going to the tourney but that is something I expect pretty regularly out our program. I expect our program to make it to postseason play pretty regularly.

Did it warrant Odom getting an extension and raise, I would say so but if he was asking for an extension mid season I would say that was not warranted because nothing had been achieved at that point. After the MWC tourney performance i would agree an extension was warranted.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 28th, 2023, 12:54 pm

FootballAgg wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

He blew my expectations away this season and is a fantastic coach. He underachieved big time year 1 with Bean, Horvath, Jones, Ashworth, etc. We had the talent to win a lot more games last season. Sorry if you disagree with my opinion.

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » March 28th, 2023, 1:04 pm

Looks like Scotty G or the moderators got rid of the new Odom news lol

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 28th, 2023, 1:05 pm

It is anyone's guess at this point.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 28th, 2023, 1:09 pm

FootballAgg wrote:
March 28th, 2023, 1:04 pm
Looks like Scotty G or the moderators got rid of the new Odom news lol
For those that missed it, it sounds like things are up in the air…

IdAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by IdAggie » March 28th, 2023, 1:13 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

You are correct on this. It wasn't until offers came and pressure mounted on the president/board of trustees that freedom came to negotiate.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 28th, 2023, 1:49 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 28th, 2023, 12:54 pm
FootballAgg wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

He blew my expectations away this season and is a fantastic coach. He underachieved big time year 1 with Bean, Horvath, Jones, Ashworth, etc. We had the talent to win a lot more games last season. Sorry if you disagree with my opinion.
If Odom underachieved in year one, it wasn’t “big time.” Absolutely no one thought that team would make the NCAA tournament. Bean was the only good defender on the roster. Conference play was disappointing after winning Myrtle Beach, but the reality is that only happened because Horvath played way over his head in non-conference. And the team was famously unlucky.

In hindsight, my biggest problem with Odom’s first year was bringing Horvath over Akin. Odom couldn’t have known how Bean’s shot would develop, so I understand why he opted for Horvath, but that team would have been much better with Akin.

IMO Odom matched or slightly exceeded expectations in year one and overachieved year two.

Locked Previous topicNext topic