State Pride Uniform Concept

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: State Pride Uniform Concept

Post by USU78 » April 8th, 2023, 10:08 pm

"1. Creative thinking involves exploring new ideas.

As Mike Bowerbank points out, creative thinkers focus less on how things are and more on how things could be. This exposes them to new (or at least different) ideas than what the conventional beliefs of their culture. Often these new ideas are attractive because they provide a more inspiring view or better fit with the artist's personal experiences.

2. Careers in the entertainment industry are not conducive to a traditional lifestyle.

Conservatives tend to promote "family values" which involves raising a family according to traditional gender roles. This can be difficult for an artist, musician, or actor for a number of reasons:

They may be absent often due to filming on location, touring the country, or visiting an exotic location for inspiration.
Intense pressure to deliver means that they may not have the time or energy to be engaged parents.
Many do not have enough stability, financial or otherwise, to properly support a family.
Many entertainers do have families, but few likely follow a more traditional approach.

3. Artistic subcultures favor certain "left-wing" policies.

Assessing artistic skill is highly subjective. Being able to connect and get along with others in the industry is important to success. In other words, it's not what you know, but who you know. As a result, entertainers tend to be like minded; those who are don't fit in tend not to last.

There are a number of political/social attitudes that are favored by those in the entertainment industry due to the nature of their field:

Free speech - Any form of censorship limits your ability to express yourself or advertise and profit from your work.
Acceptance of minorities - In general, people tolerate (or even promote) criticism of the "establishment" but find such treatment of minorities to be distasteful or downright mean. Also, people love stories about underdogs.
Skepticism of capitalism and/or corporations - Despite being in a (potentially) lucrative field, many artists have to suffer for their passion; those who haven't "made it" find it difficulty to earn enough to meet their basic needs. (They don't call them "starving artists" for no reason!) It's not a field for those who prioritize economic gain over the intangible.
Recreational drug use - Some artists will use drugs because they believe it will provide them with inspiration or augment their creative abilities.
In short, being an artist is not as attractive a proposition for conservatives as it is liberals."

Is that how you think it falls together, @brownjeans ?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » April 8th, 2023, 10:51 pm

Ok guys this got off topic. I just wanted to share what I thought was a fun idea. If you wanna get political about the flag redesign and “creatives”, take it to the sandbox. If you wanna talk about your opinions good or bad, or ideas for the design that’s awesome and I welcome it.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 8th, 2023, 11:13 pm

USU78 wrote:
April 8th, 2023, 10:08 pm

As Mike Bowerbank points out, creative thinkers focus less on how things are and more on how things could be. This exposes them to new (or at least different) ideas than what the conventional beliefs of their culture. Often these new ideas are attractive because they provide a more inspiring view or better fit with the artist's personal experiences.

2. Careers in the entertainment industry are not conducive to a traditional lifestyle.

Conservatives tend to promote "family values" which involves raising a family according to traditional gender roles. This can be difficult for an artist, musician, or actor for a number of reasons:

They may be absent often due to filming on location, touring the country, or visiting an exotic location for inspiration.
Intense pressure to deliver means that they may not have the time or energy to be engaged parents.
Many do not have enough stability, financial or otherwise, to properly support a family.
Many entertainers do have families, but few likely follow a more traditional approach.

Assessing artistic skill is highly subjective. Being able to connect and get along with others in the industry is important to success. In other words, it's not what you know, but who you know. As a result, entertainers tend to be like minded; those who are don't fit in tend not to last.

There are a number of political/social attitudes that are favored by those in the entertainment industry due to the nature of their field:

Free speech - Any form of censorship limits your ability to express yourself or advertise and profit from your work.
Acceptance of minorities - In general, people tolerate (or even promote) criticism of the "establishment" but find such treatment of minorities to be distasteful or downright mean. Also, people love stories about underdogs.
Skepticism of capitalism and/or corporations - Despite being in a (potentially) lucrative field, many artists have to suffer for their passion; those who haven't "made it" find it difficulty to earn enough to meet their basic needs. (They don't call them "starving artists" for no reason!) It's not a field for those who prioritize economic gain over the intangible.
Recreational drug use - Some artists will use drugs because they believe it will provide them with inspiration or augment their creative abilities.
In short, being an artist is not as attractive a proposition for conservatives as it is liberals."

This was a lot of weird gibberish drenched in ideological fear. Things that look nice are a communist plot? Pretty bleak. Do you need a hug, or are hugs communist too?

This thread was about design. Feel free to shuffle out if that kind of "nonsense" is not your bag.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
Zaggie07

USU78

Post by USU78 » April 9th, 2023, 12:28 am

brownjeans wrote:
April 8th, 2023, 11:13 pm
USU78 wrote:

This was a lot of weird gibberish drenched in ideological fear. Things that look nice are a communist plot? Pretty bleak. Do you need a hug, or are hugs communist too?

This thread was about design. Feel free to shuffle out if that kind of "nonsense" is not your bag.
Don't drop the thread. The issue is the contempt in which artistic types like graphic designers hold thee and me ... and the profit motive in generating government grants out of thin air.

I put the reflagging project and the Utah Supreme Court mural in the same category. Both projects a big up yours.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 9th, 2023, 12:42 am

Just so you know I didn't mean to step on your idea. In an effort to help out I took some time to give you critical feedback as I assume that is why you posted it in the forum. BTW Thank you for sharing your Utah flag-inspired shirt design with us. It's great to see your creativity and passion for our state's symbols and colors, especially for Utah State!

From my analysis based on the feedback you received up to now, it seems that there are different opinions and preferences when it comes to the design. About one-third of the users liked the idea of making a unique design but thought a few tweaks or a little different approach would make it even better, while around 16.7% of the users liked the design as is.

While some fans appreciated the incorporation of state symbols and landscapes, others suggested exploring other possibilities more related to Utah State or using school colors. Some fans also suggested adjusting the size and position of the hexagon or using the "U State" logo more prominently.

It's also worth noting that some fans spoke out against those who didn't agree with the design probably in an effort to support what you are doing because they really like what they see. That is a good sign.

I think you are on to something. Don't think for a minute that you aren't making excellent progress. I think you are failing well which is critical to breakthrough success. If you keep swinging at it my guess is that you will have a shirt that could inspire a team jersey or be a really cool shirt that fans like me would spend big money for. Thank you again for your effort and creativity. I only wish I had your skills!

#hornsup!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 9th, 2023, 8:18 am

USU78 wrote:
April 9th, 2023, 12:28 am
brownjeans wrote:
USU78 wrote:

Don't drop the thread. The issue is the contempt in which artistic types like graphic designers hold thee and me ... and the profit motive in generating government grants out of thin air.

I put the reflagging project and the Utah Supreme Court mural in the same category. Both projects a big up yours.
Pretty sure this is about a uniform an Aggie friend (artistic type) designed and wanted some feedback from his fellow Aggie friends.

I think you're great, but sometimes feel that the lens with which you see the world causes you to lash out cruelly at people who hold you no ill intent.
Last edited by brownjeans on April 9th, 2023, 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 5):
DwigtAggie formerly in HawaiiZaggie07Real Life AggieAggiefan33

tysteve20

State Pride Uniform Concept

Post by tysteve20 » April 9th, 2023, 8:19 am

Blue Sage wrote:Just so you know I didn't mean to step on your idea. In an effort to help out I took some time to give you critical feedback as I assume that is why you posted it in the forum. BTW Thank you for sharing your Utah flag-inspired shirt design with us. It's great to see your creativity and passion for our state's symbols and colors, especially for Utah State!

From my analysis based on the feedback you received up to now, it seems that there are different opinions and preferences when it comes to the design. About one-third of the users liked the idea of making a unique design but thought a few tweaks or a little different approach would make it even better, while around 16.7% of the users liked the design as is.

While some fans appreciated the incorporation of state symbols and landscapes, others suggested exploring other possibilities more related to Utah State or using school colors. Some fans also suggested adjusting the size and position of the hexagon or using the "U State" logo more prominently.

It's also worth noting that some fans spoke out against those who didn't agree with the design probably in an effort to support what you are doing because they really like what they see. That is a good sign.

I think you are on to something. Don't think for a minute that you aren't making excellent progress. I think you are failing well which is critical to breakthrough success. If you keep swinging at it my guess is that you will have a shirt that could inspire a team jersey or be a really cool shirt that fans like me would spend big money for. Thank you again for your effort and creativity. I only wish I had your skills!
Oh no worries! You are totally fine to share your distaste for either my design or the new flag. I was just saying I don’t care to have the political issues that come with that shared here. I realize not everyone is gonna like everything and I welcome ideas. thank you for the feedback! It’s the crap calling creatives commies that I don’t care to have on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » April 9th, 2023, 9:22 am

brownjeans wrote:
April 9th, 2023, 8:18 am
USU78 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
USU78 wrote:

Pretty sure this is about a uniform an Aggie friend (artistic type) designed and wanted some feedback from his fellow Aggie friends.

I think you're great, but sometimes feel that the lens with which you see the world causes you to lash out cruelly at people who hold you no ill intent.
We see the world not as it is but as we are.

Cheecho6

Post by Cheecho6 » April 9th, 2023, 12:38 pm

Very nice… the new state flag is 100x better. It actually allows for things exactly like this. I’ve never seen the old flag being flown or seen in residential areas, that will change with the new flag.

Excited to see the FB uni concept.

These users thanked the author Cheecho6 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

USU78

Post by USU78 » April 9th, 2023, 1:08 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
April 9th, 2023, 9:22 am
brownjeans wrote:
April 9th, 2023, 8:18 am
USU78 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
USU78 wrote:

Is that how you think it falls together, @brownjeans

We see the world not as it is but as we are.
So, I'm not in favor of incorporating the imposed flag's elements on Aggie uniforms. So sue me. I take no position on the merits of the instant proposal. I could speak to those merits, but I'm not going to.

As to any alleged cruelty, I won't speak further to the perceived cruelty or the cruelty that motivates holding up a mirror. Beyond this bit of Sondheim dogerral:
You're so nice.
You're not good,
You're not bad,
You're just nice.
I'm not good,
I'm not nice,
I'm just right.
I'm the Witch.
You're the world.

I'm the hitch.
I'm what no one believes,
I'm the Witch.
You're all liars and thieves,
Like his father,
Like his son will be, too-
Oh, why bother?
You'll just do what you do.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » April 9th, 2023, 1:37 pm

Cheecho6 wrote:
April 9th, 2023, 12:38 pm
Very nice… the new state flag is 100x better. It actually allows for things exactly like this. I’ve never seen the old flag being flown or seen in residential areas, that will change with the new flag.

Excited to see the FB uni concept.

Love the new flag design. Much better brand wise for the state as it’s actually unique and recognizable.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 9th, 2023, 2:13 pm

USU78 wrote:
April 9th, 2023, 1:08 pm
So, I'm not in favor of incorporating the imposed flag's elements on Aggie uniforms. So sue me. I take no position on the merits of the instant proposal. I could speak to those merits, but I'm not going to.

As to any alleged cruelty, I won't speak further to the perceived cruelty or the cruelty that motivates holding up a mirror. Beyond this bit of Sondheim dogerral:
You're so nice.
You're not good,
You're not bad,
You're just nice.
I'm not good,
I'm not nice,
I'm just right.
I'm the Witch.
You're the world.

I'm the hitch.
I'm the Witch.
Like his father,
Oh, why bother?
The angst energy is both exhausting and impressive.
Way stronger than the kids in Mr. Wibergs high school art class.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
Zaggie07

gomretat

Post by gomretat » April 9th, 2023, 2:17 pm

I have no interest in jerseys with a flag on them, old or new. However, the new flag is nice improvement IMO, just not something to put on a jersey.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
Stucki

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 9th, 2023, 2:41 pm

gomretat wrote:
April 9th, 2023, 2:17 pm
I have no interest in jerseys with a flag on them, old or new. However, the new flag is nice improvement IMO, just not something to put on a jersey.
If it were to happen it would be once a season for a special occasion such as if the Aggies played a game on January 4th. Nothing wrong with a special jersey every now and then

USU78

Post by USU78 » April 9th, 2023, 3:09 pm

brownjeans wrote:
April 9th, 2023, 2:13 pm
USU78 wrote:
April 9th, 2023, 1:08 pm

You're so nice.
You're not good,
You're not bad,
You're just nice.
I'm not good,
I'm not nice,
I'm just right.
I'm the Witch.
You're the world.

I'm the hitch.
I'm the Witch.
Like his father,
Oh, why bother?
The angst energy is both exhausting and impressive. Way stronger than the kids in Mr. Wibergs high school art class.
Two things: thanks for snipping the prior posts; and :lol: :cheers: :lol:
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
brownjeans

jimbo

Post by jimbo » April 21st, 2023, 7:57 pm

FYI this idea has been in the works for several months and Nike is in the process of designing them. The first flag concept special uniform was supposed to be ready for FB season, but today the governor put the brakes on the whole thing. We have to wait until the flag goes official in 2024. There is a chance BB might get a chance next season though.
These users thanked the author jimbo for the post (total 5):
LarryTheAggieFromLItoLoganflying_scotsman2.0Aggie1118AggieBlues

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 21st, 2023, 10:46 pm

This thread puts me in a mood to cuddle up with my copy of Aesthetic Theory by Marxist Theodor Adorno to remind me of the good old days of grad school. I never could understand him but sometimes I think that was kind of the point.

Edit: So I picked it up and, hilariously, the very second sentence I read, I kid you not, on a randomly selected page (177) in the 366-page book read: “The idea of a conservative artwork is inherently absurd.” 😂😂😂😂😂

Those damn Communist flag designers!
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiUSU78

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 22nd, 2023, 7:44 am

jimbo wrote:
April 21st, 2023, 7:57 pm
FYI this idea has been in the works for several months and Nike is in the process of designing them. The first flag concept special uniform was supposed to be ready for FB season, but today the governor put the brakes on the whole thing. We have to wait until the flag goes official in 2024. There is a chance BB might get a chance next season though.
I love it. I hope they make shirts that fans can buy with a similar design. They should just force one on everybody, take $10 from everyone’s state taxes and send every person the state a Ustate “Utah flag” shirt.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
brownjeans

Locked Previous topicNext topic