Ashworth Interview

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aceofspadeskb

Ashworth Interview

Post by aceofspadeskb » April 27th, 2023, 2:20 pm

AggieFella

Re: Ashworth Interview

Post by AggieFella » April 27th, 2023, 2:54 pm

Last edited by AggieFella on July 14th, 2023, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » April 27th, 2023, 2:55 pm

NAR? Any TLDL? - not going to waste my time.

TrueBlue
Pick'em Champ - '13,'14,'15,'16 BB Predict The Score

Post by TrueBlue » April 27th, 2023, 2:57 pm

If you only want to hear about USU, skip to about the 24:00 minute mark. They had to discuss how hard it was to turn BYU down first and how ultimately Crieghton was deemed a better spot. Seems like it was a 2 horse race.

The rest is spent talking about how with the "collectives" the money is more guaranteed, and how NIL through business (the way it was kind of intended) is risky except for big name athletes. It is interesting from that perspective, it's just annoying in this interview because it's one of our old players.

Also talks a good deal about what the transfer portal experience is like.
These users thanked the author TrueBlue for the post:
Zaggie07

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » April 27th, 2023, 3:03 pm

Can we move on from Ashworth. He played well for us but he's gone. And if he really was considering BYU, he lost ALL MY INTEREST!!!
These users thanked the author Agezzz for the post (total 3):
cvalSection_L_AggieKevincurtisforlife

SLB

Post by SLB » April 27th, 2023, 3:06 pm

Ashworth partly hinted at why from being a Duryea commit to playing for Smith then playing for Odom then Odom leaving was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Last edited by SLB on April 27th, 2023, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 27th, 2023, 3:23 pm

RIP Ashworth
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » April 27th, 2023, 3:41 pm

Agezzz wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 3:03 pm
Can we move on from Ashworth. He played well for us but he's gone. And if he really was considering BYU, he lost ALL MY INTEREST!!!
Seriously. Homeboy is really trying to move into Voldemort type status as "he who shall not be named." I'm glad he didn't come back now that we're learning more about his difficulty in not going to the team down south.

With each passing day the loyalty from Sam Merrill and Justin Bean is more and more appreciated. This kid sounds so full of himself like so many Utah county kids. Smell ya later.
These users thanked the author Section_L_Aggie for the post (total 3):
hipsterdoofus21vegasaggiePIGSKINAGGIE

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

mike1126

Post by mike1126 » April 27th, 2023, 3:53 pm

No interest in listening. After all , he went for the money. Just tell us the truth.
These users thanked the author mike1126 for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » April 27th, 2023, 3:55 pm

Ashworth says, “I’m leaving because of all the coaching changes at USU”

Ashworth then proceeds to find a new coach.

In the end I would have been more upset had he gone to YBU, but I would have enjoyed watching him lose almost every Big 12 game. Would have eased the pain for sure.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » April 27th, 2023, 4:20 pm

I am not sure how anyone who knows anything about Ashworth and his background would think that he wasn't seriously considering the Cougies. It is in his DNA and the DNA of all things Lone Peak.

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » April 27th, 2023, 4:28 pm

What if one of the current byu players told him the cougars didn't come through on the promised amount of money to him? I wonder if that would affect one's decision on whether to play for them or not? Just total speculation on my part.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 27th, 2023, 5:05 pm

Who?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggies1888

Post by Aggies1888 » April 27th, 2023, 5:18 pm

NAR
These users thanked the author Aggies1888 for the post (total 3):
cvalUSU78hipsterdoofus21

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 27th, 2023, 6:31 pm

TrueBlue wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 2:57 pm
If you only want to hear about USU, skip to about the 24:00 minute mark. They had to discuss how hard it was to turn BYU down first and how ultimately Crieghton was deemed a better spot. Seems like it was a 2 horse race.

The rest is spent talking about how with the "collectives" the money is more guaranteed, and how NIL through business (the way it was kind of intended) is risky except for big name athletes. It is interesting from that perspective, it's just annoying in this interview because it's one of our old players.

I actually thought his experience and perspective on the NIL/Collective situation was insightful. He mentioned that there are a lot of players that sign NIL deals with businesses but end up not getting as much money as was initially promised or they don't live up to expectations, which then puts strain on the businesses and makes them think twice about doing an NIL deal with an athlete.

He then made the point that athletes preferred the collectives because its more guaranteed and that it feels more like a donation than a contract.

It actually gave me hope that there could possibly be a good solution for this NIL and transfer portal era. If the NCAA would be brave enough to ban collectives and make rules to deter businesses that are heavily involved with sponsoring NIL deals for opposing teams from poaching players (cough cough Built Bar), it would help even the playing field for schools like USU while at the same time allowing the big-time players to get their pay day.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 27th, 2023, 7:16 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 6:31 pm
TrueBlue wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 2:57 pm

I actually thought his experience and perspective on the NIL/Collective situation was insightful. He mentioned that there are a lot of players that sign NIL deals with businesses but end up not getting as much money as was initially promised or they don't live up to expectations, which then puts strain on the businesses and makes them think twice about doing an NIL deal with an athlete.

He then made the point that athletes preferred the collectives because its more guaranteed and that it feels more like a donation than a contract.

It actually gave me hope that there could possibly be a good solution for this NIL and transfer portal era. If the NCAA would be brave enough to ban collectives and make rules to deter businesses that are heavily involved with sponsoring NIL deals for opposing teams from poaching players (cough cough Built Bar), it would help even the playing field for schools like USU while at the same time allowing the big-time players to get their pay day.
NCAA would never be that brave.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 27th, 2023, 7:24 pm

Hard to blame him. We didn't do our job to take care of our last coach. If we don't fix our issues with this soon, it'll be worse in the future

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 27th, 2023, 7:37 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 7:24 pm
Hard to blame him. We didn't do our job to take care of our last coach. If we don't fix our issues with this soon, it'll be worse in the future
I’ll push back a little on this. I don’t think Odom was really worthy of an extension in the January timeframe in which I’ve heard he had gripes. We underachieved and went to the NIT last year, and were on the outside looking in as to the tourney this year at that time. Why was Odom extension-worthy at that point?

I also think we were ALWAYS going to be a pit stop for Odom. He came here without visiting the campus, rented a home here, and outside of Zee Hamoda, he recruited only low hanging fruit Utah/Cache Valley kids and his former players/kids he knew at other schools. None of those are the actions of a guy that actually planned on staying here.

Not suggesting there aren’t problems behind the scenes (of that I have no inside information), but I think Odom was always gone this year or next.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 27th, 2023, 7:43 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
What do you mean? Odom had just finished 2 years of a 5 contract. He was offered an extension. Odom was very well taken care of.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

cval

Post by cval » April 27th, 2023, 7:47 pm

It would appear that not getting an extension had very little to do with Odom leaving.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 27th, 2023, 8:00 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 7:43 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
What do you mean? Odom had just finished 2 years of a 5 contract. He was offered an extension. Odom was very well taken care of.
Yeah money and an extension weren't the issue with Odom. He wanted to be out of Logan as soon as he could.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 27th, 2023, 8:01 pm

If it was hard for Ashworth to turn down BYU then that tells me all I need to know about Ashworth.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post (total 2):
Section_L_AggieKevincurtisforlife

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 27th, 2023, 8:05 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 8:00 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 7:43 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
Yeah money and an extension weren't the issue with Odom. He wanted to be out of Logan as soon as he could.
Agreed but it's not that he was treated badly. He was on his way out half way through the season. Logan was a short term thing for him but it's not because the program did anything wrong with him.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 27th, 2023, 9:04 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 7:37 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
I’ll push back a little on this. I don’t think Odom was really worthy of an extension in the January timeframe in which I’ve heard he had gripes. We underachieved and went to the NIT last year, and were on the outside looking in as to the tourney this year at that time. Why was Odom extension-worthy at that point?

I also think we were ALWAYS going to be a pit stop for Odom. He came here without visiting the campus, rented a home here, and outside of Zee Hamoda, he recruited only low hanging fruit Utah/Cache Valley kids and his former players/kids he knew at other schools. None of those are the actions of a guy that actually planned on staying here.

Not suggesting there aren’t problems behind the scenes (of that I have no inside information), but I think Odom was always gone this year or next.
Sprinkle won't be any different. He's not an Aggie. We need to fix our coaching retention issues.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 27th, 2023, 9:09 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 9:04 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:

Sprinkle won't be any different. He's not an Aggie. We need to fix our coaching retention issues.
What would be your suggestion to fix the retention issues?
utaggies

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » April 27th, 2023, 9:13 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 9:04 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:

There will always be schools willing to pay way more than we can offer. Even an Aggie alum will be pulled away.

But, the more we pay the smaller the number of schools that will pay more.
These users thanked the author USUaggie for the post:
utaggies

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 27th, 2023, 9:16 pm

SLB wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 3:06 pm
Ashworth partly hinted at why from being a Duryea commit to playing for Smith then playing for Odom then Odom leaving was the straw that broke the camel's back.
And so he elects to play for another completely new coach? No. The straw that broke the camel’s back was the $$$$.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 27th, 2023, 9:18 pm

Section_L_Aggie wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 3:41 pm
Agezzz wrote:
Seriously. Homeboy is really trying to move into Voldemort type status as "he who shall not be named." I'm glad he didn't come back now that we're learning more about his difficulty in not going to the team down south.

With each passing day the loyalty from Sam Merrill and Justin Bean is more and more appreciated. This kid sounds so full of himself like so many Utah county kids. Smell ya later.
NIL, collectives and the transfer portal have completely changed the loyalty paradeigm.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 27th, 2023, 9:22 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:

Even aside from Odom being an East Coast guy we were never going to be in a fair contest to retain him as long as he was going to make twice as much elsewhere.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 27th, 2023, 9:44 pm

utaggies wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 9:18 pm
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
Agezzz wrote:

NIL, collectives and the transfer portal have completely changed the loyalty paradeigm.
Yeah it is unfair to bring up people from the past who played before the transfer portal and NIL and use them as beacons of loyalty. We don't know what they would have done had they had opportunities for much more money and immediate playing time without sitting out a year.

Gidbob

Post by Gidbob » April 28th, 2023, 1:01 am

Section_L_Aggie wrote:
Smell ya later.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » April 28th, 2023, 6:24 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:

This is revisionist history. Absolutely no one thought the 2021-2022 team would make the NCAA tournament. The NIT was a good result for that team. Conference play was disappointing after winning Myrtle Beach, but the reality is that only happened because Horvath played way over his head in non-conference. And that team was famously unlucky.

In hindsight, my biggest problem with Odom’s first year was bringing Horvath over Akin. Odom couldn’t have known how Bean’s shot would develop, so I understand why he opted for Horvath, but that team would have been much better with Akin.

Odom at least matched expectations in year one and obviously overachieved year two. While there were some valid concerns about his recruiting, the on-court results absolutely merited an extension.

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » April 28th, 2023, 9:19 am

April 27th, 2023, 9:44 pm
utaggies wrote:
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
Agezzz wrote:

Yeah it is unfair to bring up people from the past who played before the transfer portal and NIL and use them as beacons of loyalty. We don't know what they would have done had they had opportunities for much more money and immediate playing time without sitting out a year.
That's a fair point. It's completely hypothetical but I would die on the hill that Sam and likely Justin would never have left Utah State.

Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Steven won't be either.
These users thanked the author Section_L_Aggie for the post (total 2):
Zaggie07flying_scotsman2.0

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 28th, 2023, 10:30 am

Section_L_Aggie wrote:
April 28th, 2023, 9:19 am
April 27th, 2023, 9:44 pm
utaggies wrote:
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
Agezzz wrote:

That's a fair point. It's completely hypothetical but I would die on the hill that Sam and likely Justin would never have left Utah State.

Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Steven won't be either.
Just another #3 that had one very good year. I don't really care one way or another how he does at Creighton, but I do understand the $$$.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 28th, 2023, 2:25 pm

utaggies wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 9:16 pm
SLB wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 3:06 pm
And so he elects to play for another completely new coach? No. The straw that broke the camel’s back was the $$$$.
It may have been the straw but it wasn't the 2000lb load.

Locked Previous topicNext topic