NIL Aggie Hoops 22 Help!

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
garyismyhomeboy

NIL Aggie Hoops 22 Help!

Post by garyismyhomeboy » June 6th, 2023, 10:19 am

22 I was told that we had a large sum of $$$ sitting in the pot for hoops. We gave large checks out as a one-time payment in April to entice players to stay. Aggie admin help “broker” the funds. They all left with our cash and hit the portal. Now we only have a small amount to give each player. Ringing a bell at all? Why wouldn’t we stipulate a few things in the deal, oh, I don’t know maybe be enrolled by 9–1–23 or spread out the payments? Again, if true.
These users thanked the author garyismyhomeboy for the post:
aggies22

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: NIL Aggie Hoops 22 Help!

Post by NVAggie » June 6th, 2023, 11:29 am

This is why collectives are so stupid. There is no additional work required, just cash a check. With true NIL, a business can enter into an agreement with an athlete to use their name, image, and likeness for their business. With any breach of contract, the other party can handle it through the terms of the contract. Schools should offer education for athletes regarding these agreements. NIL collectives are only about boosters paying players to attend the school. It is a recruitment tool that shouldn't be happening.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

IdAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by IdAggie » June 6th, 2023, 12:16 pm

I can confirm that this is true. However, the payments were made in February as we were playing well and heading down the homestretch of the season. The players all received at least some payment totaling around $80k dispersed among scholarship players. Many were walking from USU a few months later with money in their pocket. The person who provided the money was quite burnt and upset and said he will only give to the athletic department and not a collective. The good thing is that he will continue to contribute despite this being the worst investment he has ever made.

At least one of the current collectives being set up is taking steps to address this issue to prevent it from happening going forward.
These users thanked the author IdAggie for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.03rdGenAggieaggies22

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » June 6th, 2023, 12:21 pm

I don't believe that NIL can be dependent on a player's performance or a player staying at a school. The best you can do is smaller contracts spaced out. It's probably better to do monthly contracts with players so that once they leave you can just not renew. Once they have the money there are no repercussions if the player leaves.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
Bullnamed_gus

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » June 6th, 2023, 12:59 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
June 6th, 2023, 12:21 pm
I don't believe that NIL can be dependent on a player's performance or a player staying at a school. The best you can do is smaller contracts spaced out. It's probably better to do monthly contracts with players so that once they leave you can just not renew. Once they have the money there are no repercussions if the player leaves.
Agreed, make it like you would a normal salary and give payments smaller but more frequent payments throughout the year versus just a lump sum.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » June 6th, 2023, 1:04 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
June 6th, 2023, 12:59 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
Agreed, make it like you would a normal salary and give payments smaller but more frequent payments throughout the year versus just a lump sum.
Or if you do a lump sum have it be after the first game of the season. At that point they are stuck with you for the year because finding a landing spot would be nearly impossible.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » June 6th, 2023, 1:08 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
June 6th, 2023, 1:04 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
Or if you do a lump sum have it be after the first game of the season. At that point they are stuck with you for the year because finding a landing spot would be nearly impossible.
That would be a good option as well.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 6th, 2023, 2:30 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
There's early May that they are stuck with you for football the following season cause that is past the deadline to enter the portal. There's probably a similar thing, though a much later day for basketball.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » June 6th, 2023, 6:35 pm

Was the player name image or likeness used? Or was it just a payment?

Not sent from Tapatalk

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » June 7th, 2023, 7:02 am

ProvoAggie wrote:

It absolutely can be contingent on staying at a school and/or performance. It’s just a marketing contract, a business owner can put that in the fine print. “If you leave Utah State in ____ amount of time, then this payment must be paid back”, I don’t see how that’s a problem.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » June 7th, 2023, 7:04 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
June 6th, 2023, 2:30 pm
Coloraggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
There's early May that they are stuck with you for football the following season cause that is past the deadline to enter the portal. There's probably a similar thing, though a much later day for basketball.
Grad transfers can leave whenever, so if someone can fake up a “graduation in General” studies bc they have enough credits, they can leave.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 7th, 2023, 7:57 am

trevordude wrote:
June 6th, 2023, 6:35 pm
Was the player name image or likeness used? Or was it just a payment?
This is actually a great question and certainly changes the dynamics of the original post.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » June 7th, 2023, 8:07 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

It absolutely can be contingent on staying at a school and/or performance. It’s just a marketing contract, a business owner can put that in the fine print. “If you leave Utah State in ____ amount of time, then this payment must be paid back”, I don’t see how that’s a problem.
It's a marketing contract but there are still restrictions on what types of deals can be signed and USU has to review each deal.

https://www.littler.com/publication-pre ... g-nil-deal
The NCAA provided further guidance in November 2021, when it released a NIL Question and Answer document. The Q&A clarified that NIL deals are permissible only if based upon a true quid pro quo arrangement. The NCAA prohibited NIL deals that are contingent upon an athlete’s enrollment at a certain school or upon athletic performance.
There have been several examples of kids taking large paydays from P5 schools and then bolting as well. This is going to be one of the biggest issues with NIL.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

GaryTakeTheWheel

Post by GaryTakeTheWheel » June 7th, 2023, 9:49 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
Or require an in person event that is during the school year. Create a higher burden that would be trivial for a current player and require travel for someone who isn't.

garyismyhomeboy

Post by garyismyhomeboy » June 7th, 2023, 10:50 am

I believe it was a one time payment under the guise of NIL, if that makes sense. That’s what I had heard. Department help solicit (illicitly) it to keep core together.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » June 7th, 2023, 10:54 am

I guess we all make bad investments at times in our lives.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
ProvoAggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 7th, 2023, 2:03 pm

garyismyhomeboy wrote:
June 7th, 2023, 10:50 am
I believe it was a one time payment under the guise of NIL, if that makes sense. That’s what I had heard. Department help solicit (illicitly) it to keep core together.
So the money was given to keep the core together but the core all left for other schools anyway and kept the money? Says a lot about them. Good riddance.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » June 7th, 2023, 2:22 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
June 7th, 2023, 2:03 pm
garyismyhomeboy wrote:
So the money was given to keep the core together but the core all left for other schools anyway and kept the money? Says a lot about them. Good riddance.
Heck Ashworth probably double dipped here - payment from USU and payment from Creighton
These users thanked the author SpectrumMagic for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 7th, 2023, 3:44 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
June 7th, 2023, 2:22 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
June 7th, 2023, 2:03 pm
garyismyhomeboy wrote:
Heck Ashworth probably double dipped here - payment from USU and payment from Creighton
Boi got that Utah Valley mentality. Get paid by any means necessary.

I jest, I’m sure there’s more to the story

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » June 7th, 2023, 7:15 pm

GaryTakeTheWheel wrote:
June 7th, 2023, 9:49 am
ProvoAggie wrote:
Or require an in person event that is during the school year. Create a higher burden that would be trivial for a current player and require travel for someone who isn't.
A sentence of “you must have permanent residence In Logan, UT from August to April” in the contract. It wouldn’t be difficult to write something in. Whoever dumped that NIL money just wasn’t very wise
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post (total 2):
USU78ereksonaggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 8th, 2023, 8:58 am

garyismyhomeboy wrote:
June 6th, 2023, 10:19 am
22 I was told that we had a large sum of $$$ sitting in the pot for hoops. We gave large checks out as a one-time payment in April to entice players to stay. Aggie admin help “broker” the funds. They all left with our cash and hit the portal. Now we only have a small amount to give each player. Ringing a bell at all? Why wouldn’t we stipulate a few things in the deal, oh, I don’t know maybe be enrolled by 9–1–23 or spread out the payments? Again, if true.
Sorry, I'm out on vacation BUT 100% true. BUT they weren't given all the money that was originally earmarked for them.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
trevordude

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » June 8th, 2023, 1:46 pm

I have some industry insight into negotiations for athlete appearances for pay. Contracts will be very specific about what the talent needs to do in exchange for the contracted funds. E.g. for $XXX,XXX dollars, athlete A must speak at three events, make 5-7 social media posts, and participate in one commercial video shoot. And the price of talent varies dramatically by their visibility. E.g., some of the biggest sports personalities would charge about $250-350K, not including a travel stipend for support as outlined above, while some professional athletes in lesser-watched sports might do the same for about $50-75K. And, of course, these are rates big corps are paying for national spots, so the prices should adjust dramatically lower for athletes known mostly to northern Utah.

My point is that you shouldn't just give people money. NIL administrators should outline precisely what it is they must do for funds. Additionally, bigger names should drive bigger dollars than smaller names. Cooper Legas will probably be able to drive more sales or traffic on an add than a relatively unknown redshirt. This incentivizes athletes to maintain a positive image and perform well on and off the field.
These users thanked the author travelingagg for the post (total 2):
sstrasserNVAggie

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 8th, 2023, 2:12 pm

travelingagg wrote:
June 8th, 2023, 1:46 pm
I have some industry insight into negotiations for athlete appearances for pay. Contracts will be very specific about what the talent needs to do in exchange for the contracted funds. E.g. for $XXX,XXX dollars, athlete A must speak at three events, make 5-7 social media posts, and participate in one commercial video shoot. And the price of talent varies dramatically by their visibility. E.g., some of the biggest sports personalities would charge about $250-350K, not including a travel stipend for support as outlined above, while some professional athletes in lesser-watched sports might do the same for about $50-75K. And, of course, these are rates big corps are paying for national spots, so the prices should adjust dramatically lower for athletes known mostly to northern Utah.

My point is that you shouldn't just give people money. NIL administrators should outline precisely what it is they must do for funds. Additionally, bigger names should drive bigger dollars than smaller names. Cooper Legas will probably be able to drive more sales or traffic on an add than a relatively unknown redshirt. This incentivizes athletes to maintain a positive image and perform well on and off the field.
Yes, but you're talking about NIL as it was supposed to work, not as it currently "works". NIL in the current environment is simply writing checks out to players without requiring them to do anything to advertise for your business, or utilize their Name, Image, and Likeness to sell anything. It's simply pay to play. Give players a pile of cash to incentivize them to come to or stay on your team. :noidea:

Perfect example is the guy at BYU who just gave all of their walkons "NIL" money that is the equivalent to a full ride scholarship. The guy isn't gonna have all the walkons do commercials for his product or show up at events. It's just pay to play.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
sstrassertetonaggie

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » June 8th, 2023, 2:59 pm

treesap32 wrote:
June 8th, 2023, 2:12 pm
travelingagg wrote:

Yes, but you're talking about NIL as it was supposed to work, not as it currently "works". NIL in the current environment is simply writing checks out to players without requiring them to do anything to advertise for your business, or utilize their Name, Image, and Likeness to sell anything. It's simply pay to play. Give players a pile of cash to incentivize them to come to or stay on your team. :noidea:

Perfect example is the guy at BYU who just gave all of their walkons "NIL" money that is the equivalent to a full ride scholarship. The guy isn't gonna have all the walkons do commercials for his product or show up at events. It's just pay to play.
Good point.

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » June 8th, 2023, 7:04 pm

I think this is where you have a lawyer chime in ?? Beuller ?? Beulller??

Anyway, If the collective's have someone with 1/2 a brain, have these kids sign a contract. And part of that contract would stipulate that they remain at USU and play basketball. If not this is a breach of contract.

When this occurst the NIL can sue the player in court for breach of contract then get a judgement against the player and that will travel with them for years. So the new school can pay that judgement fee to return the funds to USU.

Even if they never had any thing in writing, this should have been discussed with the NIL admin staff and the players.

Point I am trying to make here is this. Once you have the judgement they can start filing leans and garnish wages of the former athletes who breached the contract, In addition, they can force discovery to occur where the communication with the new school is exposed via text and phone call, and if there are rules broken these schools can be sued for tampering rules violations and lose out on the NCAA tournament.

They shouldn't just roll over and play dead and complain. Fight this, and punch the greedy players not returning funds that isn't theirs rightfully for the future.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » June 9th, 2023, 9:05 am

treesap32 wrote:
travelingagg wrote:

Furthermore, it's for all the walk-ons and not for a specific player's NIL. Meaning the contract isn't with individual players and is geared toward the University instead (the university's name, image, and likeness instead of the player's).

Aggies All the Way!

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » June 9th, 2023, 9:07 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
June 9th, 2023, 9:05 am
treesap32 wrote:
travelingagg wrote:

Furthermore, it's for all the walk-ons and not for a specific player's NIL. Meaning the contract isn't with individual players and is geared toward the University instead (the university's name, image, and likeness instead of the player's).
The contracts are with the individual players. Every athlete has the opportunity to sign a contract and from what I understand they are each expected to post so many things to social media. Players can reject the agreement if they want but why would they?

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » June 9th, 2023, 2:24 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
June 9th, 2023, 9:07 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
travelingagg wrote:

The contracts are with the individual players. Every athlete has the opportunity to sign a contract and from what I understand they are each expected to post so many things to social media. Players can reject the agreement if they want but why would they?
Letter of the law vs spirit of the law here. Yes, they legally all sign a contract. However, the guy has said that he will give a full scholarship to all walk on players going forward. That is more of an agreement with the university, as they don't even know who the walk on players will be next year or the next. In addition, they are paying all of the players some cash. Do they really want the player's NIL, or BYU's?

Aggies All the Way!

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » June 9th, 2023, 3:00 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
June 9th, 2023, 2:24 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
travelingagg wrote:

Letter of the law vs spirit of the law here. Yes, they legally all sign a contract. However, the guy has said that he will give a full scholarship to all walk on players going forward. That is more of an agreement with the university, as they don't even know who the walk on players will be next year or the next. In addition, they are paying all of the players some cash. Do they really want the player's NIL, or BYU's?
Isn't it really the same thing? I follow USU players on social media because they are USU players. They represent USU. No local business in Logan cares about Steven Ashworth if he isn't the face of USU Basketball...so they pay him for NIL. BYU definitely worked out a deal but at the end of the day Built only wants those players promoting their products because they represent BYU and as a result have a larger following than just an average Joe.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 9th, 2023, 3:21 pm

So Built has a bunch of BYU football walkons that are posting on social media promoting Built bars or whatever they sell? Do BYU fans even know the BYU walkons? I always saw it as a pay to play deal because whoever owns Built was a big fan of BYU football and wanted BYU to be able to essentially increase their roster size to an unlimited number of recruits, all of which will get the equivalent of a scholarship to attend.

Why would you want walkons to promote your product?

"Don't get a Gatorade protein bar... go with the walk-on of protein bars, Built."

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » June 9th, 2023, 3:28 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
June 9th, 2023, 3:00 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
June 9th, 2023, 2:24 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
travelingagg wrote:

Isn't it really the same thing? I follow USU players on social media because they are USU players. They represent USU. No local business in Logan cares about Steven Ashworth if he isn't the face of USU Basketball...so they pay him for NIL. BYU definitely worked out a deal but at the end of the day Built only wants those players promoting their products because they represent BYU and as a result have a larger following than just an average Joe.
I see it differently. Yes, your point about ashworth is a good one, but he was singled out. To have the entire team on a single deal implies that the University endorses that business or product rather than an individual. Just my opinion.

Aggies All the Way!

Locked Previous topicNext topic