Friday Night Preseason basketball

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Friday Night Preseason basketball

Post by SLB » October 29th, 2023, 5:03 pm

We are playing a D2 school that does not count to the season, but it is most exciting preseason game with the brand new team. Let's have a sellout in support of this new Aggie basketball game.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 4):
aggies22IdaAg93flying_scotsman2.0918AGG

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Friday Night Preseason basketball

Post by aggies22 » October 29th, 2023, 5:34 pm

SLB wrote:
October 29th, 2023, 5:03 pm
We are playing a D2 school that does not count to the season, but it is most exciting preseason game with the brand new team. Let's have a sellout in support of this new Aggie basketball game.
I'll be there +4.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 29th, 2023, 6:22 pm

Looking forward to seeing what we have with this team!

Anyone know if this will be streamed? Not showing up in the MW app.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 29th, 2023, 6:37 pm

I will be there, I am excited to see all the new players. I literally have no idea what to expect from this team but am excited to see how it goes.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » October 29th, 2023, 6:43 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 29th, 2023, 6:37 pm
I will be there, I am excited to see all the new players. I literally have no idea what to expect from this team but am excited to see how it goes.
Knowing what we know about Sprinkle, it'll likely be a defensive show with steals and fast breaks going the other direction. If anything struggles it might be the offense working to kinks against someone other than ourselves and Cal.
I'll be there plus one. Extremely excited for this team and what it can do. We will surprise many.
These users thanked the author IdaAg93 for the post:
aggies22

ToastedFlakes52

Post by ToastedFlakes52 » October 29th, 2023, 8:57 pm

Super excited to see what we have. It will be far from a sellout, if we get 7000 fans there I'd consider that a success.

smfdaggie

Post by smfdaggie » October 29th, 2023, 9:24 pm

With Sky View, Green Canyon and Ridgeline playing in the football playoffs that night, that will keep a big chunk of would be fans from going to the Aggie game.
These users thanked the author smfdaggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22aggies1

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 29th, 2023, 9:54 pm

smfdaggie wrote:
October 29th, 2023, 9:24 pm
With Sky View, Green Canyon and Ridgeline playing in the football playoffs that night, that will keep a big chunk of would be fans from going to the Aggie game.
Speaking of Sky View, Green Canyon and Ridgeline, have you heard if those schools are getting new lights for their football fields that light up Yellow and Blue, and Green, respectively when those teams score touchdowns like Mountain Crest has the orange and blue lights? It seems like an unwritten rule in a school district that when you give something to one school, you have to give them to all the schools, like how Sky View and Mountain Crest got new gyms at the same time back in the day. The only exception would be if a private donor donated the money for Mountain Crest to get the lights. Maybe they could use the rationale of Ridgeline and Green Canyon already having alot of new expensive stuff and have Sky View be the only other Cache District school that gets them.

Splitting the Cache County School District into North Cache and South Cache would make it easier for each district to just give something to one high school with pressure to only give the same thing to one other school instead of 3 other schools.

cval

Post by cval » October 29th, 2023, 10:11 pm

When Mt Crest got their new facilities courtesy of Icon, there was quite a bit of pressure from Sky View for similar upgrades. The District told them to find a donor like MC. Instead, they worked out a deal with Smithfield Rec to build a jointly owned facility. It has worked out pretty well, but some are still annoyed at having to share the facilities as they are not always available whenever they want to use them.

GC and Ridgeline have the advantage of having been planned and built with bond money and are more modern.

Having a big donor will always provide an advantage.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
aggies22

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 30th, 2023, 8:01 am

cval wrote:When Mt Crest got their new facilities courtesy of Icon, there was quite a bit of pressure from Sky View for similar upgrades. The District told them to find a donor like MC. Instead, they worked out a deal with Smithfield Rec to build a jointly owned facility. It has worked out pretty well, but some are still annoyed at having to share the facilities as they are not always available whenever they want to use them.

GC and Ridgeline have the advantage of having been planned and built with bond money and are more modern.

Having a big donor will always provide an advantage.
That’s interesting. Lone Peak high school had donors lined up for a new football facility and new field and the district wouldn’t let them take the money. Said it would be unfair.

Most schools in northern Utah county also have basketball facilities, except for Lone Peak. The district is worried about LP getting too much stuff that they end up getting the shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 30th, 2023, 9:00 am

Imagine if all the waste used for youth and high school sports went to a more deserving venture. A lot of good can be done in the world if our values are correctly prioritized.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggiePacobag

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 30th, 2023, 9:09 am

NVAggie wrote:
October 30th, 2023, 9:00 am
Imagine if all the waste used for youth and high school sports went to a more deserving venture. A lot of good can be done in the world if our values are correctly prioritized.
Don’t leave college athletics out of that comment.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 3):
NVAggieReal Life AggiePacobag

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » October 30th, 2023, 4:40 pm

I've got 2 tickets for Friday that I won't be able to use. PM if interested, they're in section C, row 12.
These users thanked the author Section_L_Aggie for the post:
EngineeringAggie

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 31st, 2023, 10:22 am

Gotta be honest, I am sort of scratching my head about the timing/scheduling of this game. For a team so snakebitten with injuries, I don't understand why this game isn't being played earlier this week or over this past weekend so there's no more recovery time between this game and the game that counts on Monday. Not a huge deal, but I don't see a good reason this game shouldn't have been played over this past weekend when football had a bye. :headscratch:

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 31st, 2023, 11:42 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 31st, 2023, 10:22 am
Gotta be honest, I am sort of scratching my head about the timing/scheduling of this game. For a team so snakebitten with injuries, I don't understand why this game isn't being played earlier this week or over this past weekend so there's no more recovery time between this game and the game that counts on Monday. Not a huge deal, but I don't see a good reason this game shouldn't have been played over this past weekend when football had a bye. :headscratch:
Probably a few reasons, the most important of which, this date was probably locked up months ago and it's not easy to move games at the drop of a hat based on injuries. Season tickets have been printed, flights and hotels have been booked, and fans have cleared their schedules for the game (presumably). It's pretty rare that any games get rescheduled after announced, and if they do it's usually under very unique circumstances.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 31st, 2023, 1:10 pm

treesap32 wrote:
October 31st, 2023, 11:42 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
Probably a few reasons, the most important of which, this date was probably locked up months ago and it's not easy to move games at the drop of a hat based on injuries. Season tickets have been printed, flights and hotels have been booked, and fans have cleared their schedules for the game (presumably). It's pretty rare that any games get rescheduled after announced, and if they do it's usually under very unique circumstances.
In 2011, we had a home game against Seattle scheduled the same night as the Potato Bowl, and this was when it was a big deal we were going to any bowl at all, so we would have alot of fans at the bowl game and very few at the basketball game, and they tried to reschedule the game but were unable to so we had just had to play the game as scheduled in front of the the few fans who didn't travel to Boise.

Times of games can be changed more easily than dates. When we made it into the Football conference championship in 2013, even though we weren't hosting but knew alot of our fans would choose to watch the football championship game on TV over attending the basketball game, they moved up the start time so the game would get done before the football championship game started. I can also remember a time Cal State Fullerton wanted to move up the start time of their basketball game against us to not conflict with a baseball game they had, so Stew agreed to do it.

And you might as well play the games as scheduled, getting experience for the next man up if there are still injuries, especially against teams that you should be able to beat with even your 6-10th players.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 31st, 2023, 1:12 pm

treesap32 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Not suggesting it should have been rescheduled. I'm suggesting a preseason game probably isn't best played 72 hours before your first real game and it should have originally been more conveniently scheduled the Saturday of our football bye. On the injuries thing, I am speaking about us historically being snakebitten, not suggesting the game should have been moved up in light of recent actual injuries.

Not a huge deal, but not really the smartest scheduling of this sort of game either. Like, I get you're going to have to play games this close together during the season, but if you suffer an injury in game 1 because the recovery time between a meaningless preseason game and game 1 wasn't enough, that's an unforced error. Exhibition games have been going on for weeks and will be going on all this week.

Again, not the biggest of deals because our first real game is also basically an exhibition, but still probably not the smartest.

I'm grasping at straws I guess.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » October 31st, 2023, 2:23 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 31st, 2023, 1:12 pm
treesap32 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Not suggesting it should have been rescheduled. I'm suggesting a preseason game probably isn't best played 72 hours before your first real game and it should have originally been more conveniently scheduled the Saturday of our football bye. On the injuries thing, I am speaking about us historically being snakebitten, not suggesting the game should have been moved up in light of recent actual injuries.

Not a huge deal, but not really the smartest scheduling of this sort of game either. Like, I get you're going to have to play games this close together during the season, but if you suffer an injury in game 1 because the recovery time between a meaningless preseason game and game 1 wasn't enough, that's an unforced error. Exhibition games have been going on for weeks and will be going on all this week.

Again, not the biggest of deals because our first real game is also basically an exhibition, but still probably not the smartest.

Understand the logic, but there is risk in practice, which is why Max and Great are out. Probably lots of moving parts while compiling the schedule. They may have considered the factor you brought up but maybe the date was still better than the other options at the time.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 31st, 2023, 2:36 pm

Pacobag wrote:
October 31st, 2023, 2:23 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
October 31st, 2023, 1:12 pm
treesap32 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Understand the logic, but there is risk in practice, which is why Max and Great are out. Probably lots of moving parts while compiling the schedule. They may have considered the factor you brought up but maybe the date was still better than the other options at the time.
Also factor in that we did have an exhibition game (secret scrimmage) last Friday as well, so playing last Saturday would've been a back to back. I'm not sure how early you can schedule exhibition games. Did anyone play secret scrimmages the week of October 16-21? Are you allowed to play them that early?

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 31st, 2023, 2:39 pm

treesap32 wrote:
October 31st, 2023, 2:36 pm
Did anyone play secret scrimmages the week of October 16-21? Are you allowed to play them that early?
I'll go ahead and answer my own question. Yes, teams were playing exhibitions that week. At least... Arkansas had an exhibition on Oct 20. https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-baskbl/schedule/

Locked Previous topicNext topic