Javon Jackson

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Javon Jackson

Post by Aggie84025 » December 2nd, 2023, 11:48 pm

I would be interested to know why he has not played the last 2 games. In the games he has played I thought he played well. Be nice to get him some more minutes so Brown does not have to play 38 minutes a game.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
SLBAglicious

SLB

Re: Javon Jackson

Post by SLB » December 3rd, 2023, 12:03 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 2nd, 2023, 11:48 pm
I would be interested to know why he has not played the last 2 games. In the games he has played I thought he played well. Be nice to get him some more minutes so Brown does not have to play 38 minutes a game.
I second this.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » December 3rd, 2023, 11:35 am

Need to blow some more teams out. Brown is the most important player on the floor, even more than Great, I don’t blame Sprinkle for keeping him out there in close games
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
AggiesForever

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 3rd, 2023, 11:40 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
To piggyback on top of this, it’s crazy we have guys like Javon Jackson, Kalifa Sakho, & Nigel Burris not even seeing the floor.

Any 3 of those guys would’ve been a starter on at least one Aggie team of the past 15 seasons.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
Aggie84025

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » December 3rd, 2023, 12:25 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
To piggyback on top of this, it’s crazy we have guys like Javon Jackson, Kalifa Sakho, & Nigel Burris not even seeing the floor.

Any 3 of those guys would’ve been a starter on at least one Aggie team of the past 15 seasons.
I was surprised with Johnson’s foul trouble and Great sitting at one point that Sahko never made it in.

The next 2 games should be blowouts so I’m hoping these guys get some minutes. We will need to utilize them more in conference and they need to be ready.

Burris in particular is supposed to be a really good 3pt shooter. We haven’t seen it yet but I don’t think he has settled in yet. He needs some more minutes. He has a big body and is pretty athletic. If he can get things figured out, he could be a real threat from deep in minutes that he is spelling Agbonkpolo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 3rd, 2023, 12:31 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 3rd, 2023, 11:40 am
Aggie84025 wrote:

I agree.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » December 3rd, 2023, 1:00 pm

Brown is averaging 35.5 minutes/game. Isn’t Brown leading the nation in assists and assist to turnover ratio? I think his defense is notably better than Javon’s defense. Brown has 8 fouls in 284 minutes of play, or 1 foul every 35.5 minutes.

In 74 minutes of play this season, Javon has 3 assists and 3 turnovers. He is shooting 20% from 3 (2 of 10), 39% from the field (7 of 18), 50% from the FT line (2 of 4), has 0 steals, and 0 blocks. He also has 13 fouls, meaning he averages 1 foul every 5.7 minutes, which is over 6 times Brown’s foul rate.
The numbers don’t lie. I don’t want to see Javon take any minutes away from Brown unless it is a blowout.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post (total 4):
MrBiggleAggies1888aggies22AggiesForever

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » December 3rd, 2023, 5:45 pm

Pacobag wrote:Brown is averaging 35.5 minutes/game. Isn’t Brown leading the nation in assists and assist to turnover ratio? I think his defense is notably better than Javon’s defense. Brown has 8 fouls in 284 minutes of play, or 1 foul every 35.5 minutes.

In 74 minutes of play this season, Javon has 3 assists and 3 turnovers. He is shooting 20% from 3 (2 of 10), 39% from the field (7 of 18), 50% from the FT line (2 of 4), has 0 steals, and 0 blocks. He also has 13 fouls, meaning he averages 1 foul every 5.7 minutes, which is over 6 times Brown’s foul rate.
The numbers don’t lie. I don’t want to see Javon take any minutes away from Brown unless it is a blowout.
I don’t think anyone is arguing Brown is not better than Javon. That is clearly the case. It’s that Brown is going to need a rest once in a while and Javon could provide that if given more minutes now in the easier part of our schedule. If we don’t do it now, we won’t be able to do it later as Javon won’t be prepared enough without some actual minutes.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 3rd, 2023, 6:19 pm

scotlandog wrote:
December 3rd, 2023, 5:45 pm
Pacobag wrote:Brown is averaging 35.5 minutes/game. Isn’t Brown leading the nation in assists and assist to turnover ratio? I think his defense is notably better than Javon’s defense. Brown has 8 fouls in 284 minutes of play, or 1 foul every 35.5 minutes.

I don’t think anyone is arguing Brown is not better than Javon. That is clearly the case. It’s that Brown is going to need a rest once in a while and Javon could provide that if given more minutes now in the easier part of our schedule. If we don’t do it now, we won’t be able to do it later as Javon won’t be prepared enough without some actual minutes.

Agreed, even 5-7 minutes a game would helpful to help out during conference games.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » December 3rd, 2023, 6:24 pm

Are we just creating problems to have something to talk about?
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
AggiesForever

Cuchelain

Post by Cuchelain » December 3rd, 2023, 6:43 pm

Yes. It’s better than having real problems.
These users thanked the author Cuchelain for the post:
AggiesForever

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » December 3rd, 2023, 8:28 pm

Maybe no one else feels the same as me, but I don’t think he’s a very good player and he seems to commit a lot of silly fouls, I would be a bit surprised if he’s here next year

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » December 3rd, 2023, 11:06 pm

I’m not just pointing out that Brown is better, but that he is notably better. Javon will improve in practice and if he improves enough, he will earn minutes. For now, I’d prefer Falslev or Martinez get the experience at the point when Brown needs a breather. If Javon ends up becoming a really good player for us, that would be great, but it only takes a few mistakes to let an opponent back into a game.

I’m glad we’re 7-1 and the biggest concern for some is finding more minutes for the 2nd team, much better than being 0-8.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggiesForever

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » December 4th, 2023, 12:25 am

Pacobag wrote:I’m not just pointing out that Brown is better, but that he is notably better. Javon will improve in practice and if he improves enough, he will earn minutes. For now, I’d prefer Falslev or Martinez get the experience at the point when Brown needs a breather. If Javon ends up becoming a really good player for us, that would be great, but it only takes a few mistakes to let an opponent back into a game.

I’m glad we’re 7-1 and the biggest concern for some is finding more minutes for the 2nd team, much better than being 0-8.
We are playing 8 men. Brown and Osobor are playing 92.3% and 87% mins respectively. Maybe we win in the first half of conference play doing that but we won’t be winning in the latter half and we definitely won’t be winning multiple days in a row in March in the conference tournament or the big dance. Bodies will wear down. We will get into foul trouble somewhere along the line.

We need to play more than 8 man rotation and if those guys need improvement, they need minutes. Game minutes far outweigh practice time. No one is saying throw a game just so we can get some minutes but there are opportunities. When the opposing starters are taking their break for instance. 2-3minutes here or there can have great benefits and if things in the game are changing then sub back out. We should see 2 blowouts coming in the next games and if we don’t take the opportunities to get the backups some minutes, we are shooting ourselves in the foot long term.

These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
Aglicious

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 4th, 2023, 1:25 am

scotlandog wrote:
December 4th, 2023, 12:25 am
Pacobag wrote:I’m not just pointing out that Brown is better, but that he is notably better. Javon will improve in practice and if he improves enough, he will earn minutes. For now, I’d prefer Falslev or Martinez get the experience at the point when Brown needs a breather. If Javon ends up becoming a really good player for us, that would be great, but it only takes a few mistakes to let an opponent back into a game.

We are playing 8 men. Brown and Osobor are playing 92.3% and 87% mins respectively. Maybe we win in the first half of conference play doing that but we won’t be winning in the latter half and we definitely won’t be winning multiple days in a row in March in the conference tournament or the big dance. Bodies will wear down. We will get into foul trouble somewhere along the line.

We need to play more than 8 man rotation and if those guys need improvement, they need minutes. Game minutes far outweigh practice time. No one is saying throw a game just so we can get some minutes but there are opportunities. When the opposing starters are taking their break for instance. 2-3minutes here or there can have great benefits and if things in the game are changing then sub back out. We should see 2 blowouts coming in the next games and if we don’t take the opportunities to get the backups some minutes, we are shooting ourselves in the foot long term.

I should find my post from a few weeks ago where I noted the annual tradition on this board where some people talk about the great depth of the Aggie basketball team. It happens every year and every year we settle into a 7 or 8 man rotation.

Eutaw St. Aggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 4th, 2023, 8:24 am

I'm actually happy that we are trimming down the minutes. People are earning their minutes and figuring out their role on the team.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
sam tingey

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 4th, 2023, 8:31 am

scotlandog wrote:

The last several years we've had guys with very high usage minutes and done fine in conference play and in the conference tournament. Merrill, Bean, and Ashworth all averaged around or over 35 minutes a game. We also never went deeper than an 8 player rotation except in garbage minutes. That's the norm in college basketball with a few exceptions.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » December 4th, 2023, 9:01 am

Yea, if Sprinkle had a clue about rotations and minutes, we'd be #5 NET and 8-0. He needs to attend practices to see what he's got.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
Pacobag

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » December 4th, 2023, 10:15 am

Basketball teams go 8 deep in competitive games. Depth comes into place for foul trouble and injuries
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
Pacobag

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » December 4th, 2023, 10:21 am

scotlandog wrote:

More minutes for more players could pay some dividends for sure. Ideally that can be achieved without affecting the desired game outcome.

Considering the Aggies average about 7 games/month, I’m not convinced that playing 38 min/game instead of 33 min/game is likely to make a drastic difference except when there isn’t a rest day between games. I could definitely be wrong though. I think load management is a factor in an 82 game NBA season with 48 minute games and athletes in their 30’s.

With all the timeouts, media timeouts, and foul shots, these athletes get regular breathers. Game pace is another factor that the coaching staff probably considers, as well as practice intensity and duration.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » December 4th, 2023, 11:49 am

Coaches are very in-tune with RUTS. Garbage time lineups are quickly becoming extinct down to the 9th ish spot. Coaches want their best lineup cooking as long as they can, especially with glue guys like Brown. Metrics have overtaken the game.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » December 4th, 2023, 12:14 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
December 4th, 2023, 11:49 am
Coaches are very in-tune with RUTS. Garbage time lineups are quickly becoming extinct down to the 9th ish spot. Coaches want their best lineup cooking as long as they can, especially with glue guys like Brown. Metrics have overtaken the game.
i agree with the metrics, but i think sprinkle still has to figure out what lineups he likes. he has a lot of lineups throughout the game still, so i'm not sure he knows who he wants yet.

jazzdog56466

Post by jazzdog56466 » December 4th, 2023, 2:15 pm

Jackson looks extremely pedestrian to me. Not saying he shouldn’t ever play—-just don’t see what he exactly brings to the table.

Thinking these college athletes can’t play extended minutes all year without “their bodies wearing down” is a farce, in my opinion.

They are in the best shape of their life, and only playing 2, maybe 3 games each week. I just don’t think it’s an issue. Our best players have always played extended minutes.
These users thanked the author jazzdog56466 for the post:
Pacobag

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 4th, 2023, 2:55 pm

jazzdog56466 wrote:
December 4th, 2023, 2:15 pm
Jackson looks extremely pedestrian to me. Not saying he shouldn’t ever play—-just don’t see what he exactly brings to the table.

Thinking these college athletes can’t play extended minutes all year without “their bodies wearing down” is a farce, in my opinion.

They are in the best shape of their life, and only playing 2, maybe 3 games each week. I just don’t think it’s an issue. Our best players have always played extended minutes.
We had one guy that played 35 minutes per night all season and then played 118 minutes in 70 hours in the conference tournament, and still had enough in the tank to hit a game- winning 3- pointer.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
bigblue32Pacobag

Eutaw St. Aggie

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » December 4th, 2023, 4:20 pm

Yossarian wrote:
December 4th, 2023, 2:55 pm
jazzdog56466 wrote:

We had one guy that played 35 minutes per night all season and then played 118 minutes in 70 hours in the conference tournament, and still had enough in the tank to hit a game- winning 3- pointer.
Depth really helps come conference tournament, unless of course you have Sam Merrill suiting up for you than maybe not so much a concern. I think we’ve seen our guys get really gassed at times when playing a pressing team that can throw a lot of guys at you.

I think our depth helped us win the recent tournament. Guys played in that tournament that have not played since.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » December 4th, 2023, 7:32 pm

nswaggie wrote:
December 4th, 2023, 4:20 pm
Yossarian wrote:
December 4th, 2023, 2:55 pm
jazzdog56466 wrote:

Depth really helps come conference tournament, unless of course you have Sam Merrill suiting up for you than maybe not so much a concern. I think we’ve seen our guys get really gassed at times when playing a pressing team that can throw a lot of guys at you.

I think our depth helped us win the recent tournament. Guys played in that tournament that have not played since.
The games against Marshall and SFA weren’t as competitive as those against Santa Clara and UC Irvine so more guys got minutes. I think guys will get minutes if there isn’t a big dropoff between them and the 1st team, or if playing them isn't likely to affect who wins. Otherwise you put your best players on the floor as much as possible unless they are gassed, in foul trouble, or having a bad game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic