Reviewing opponents

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ThunderAggie

Re: Reviewing opponents

Post by ThunderAggie » January 13th, 2024, 4:13 pm

Bradley RUTS on a decent UIC team. They are 6 spots away from being a Q1 loss for us.
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post (total 2):
trevordudeSLB

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » January 13th, 2024, 4:19 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
January 13th, 2024, 4:13 pm
Bradley RUTS on a decent UIC team. They are 6 spots away from being a Q1 loss for us.
only 18 point win - may not be enough RUTS to move them up 6 spots. If they had won by 20, then for sure! :)

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » January 14th, 2024, 12:22 am

San Fran destroys Portland 96-69 with a line of -16.5. Should continue to move up. They are solidly away from the Q2 border and look better and better. I think there is a good chance they also take down Gonzaga and St Mary’s. They could end up being the WCC champ and are currently the highest NET WCC team at 37. (St Mary’s at 38 and Gonzaga at 49)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLB

Post by SLB » January 14th, 2024, 11:30 am

Akron, UCI, and San Francisco are unbeaten in-conference play.
1-2 losses in-conference
Marshall, Santa Clara, Bradley, Stephen F. Austin, and St. Louis

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » January 17th, 2024, 5:58 pm

Anyone else notice that UNLV took down Boise in Boise last night? UNLV's NET jumped to #83. With the way they are currently playing, I think there is a good chance that our road win at UNLV is Q1 by the end of the season.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » January 17th, 2024, 8:01 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:Anyone else notice that UNLV took down Boise in Boise last night? UNLV's NET jumped to #83. With the way they are currently playing, I think there is a good chance that our road win at UNLV is Q1 by the end of the season.
Yeah there is a chance that they will be Q1 by Saturday. They play @CSU Friday. They are playing really well and CSU is stumbling right now. They are now Q1: 3-3 but with 2 Q4 losses. We had 2 Q4 losses last year and got in. If they keep playing like they are, they could get in the NCAA tournament. They could win the conference tournament while they’re at it.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » January 17th, 2024, 8:15 pm

Bradley down 21 at half rallies to win by 1 against a Q2 opponent
These users thanked the author SpectrumMagic for the post:
treesap32

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » January 18th, 2024, 1:20 am

scotlandog wrote:
January 17th, 2024, 8:01 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:Anyone else notice that UNLV took down Boise in Boise last night? UNLV's NET jumped to #83. With the way they are currently playing, I think there is a good chance that our road win at UNLV is Q1 by the end of the season.
Yeah there is a chance that they will be Q1 by Saturday. They play @CSU Friday. They are playing really well and CSU is stumbling right now. They are now Q1: 3-3 but with 2 Q4 losses. We had 2 Q4 losses last year and got in. If they keep playing like they are, they could get in the NCAA tournament. They could win the conference tournament while they’re at it.

They're not making the NCAA tournament without winning the MWC tournament. I suppose it's theoretically possible if they won every remaining game by a huge margin, but realistically a NET of #83 is too big of an anchor to overcome this late in the season.

scotlandog

Reviewing opponents

Post by scotlandog » January 18th, 2024, 9:29 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
scotlandog wrote:
January 17th, 2024, 8:01 pm

They're not making the NCAA tournament without winning the MWC tournament. I suppose it's theoretically possible if they won every remaining game by a huge margin, but realistically a NET of #83 is too big of an anchor to overcome this late in the season.
UNLV opened conference play with 5 games against the top 6 teams, straight. Without our miracle at the end, they would be riding a 3 game winning streak heading into a questionable @CSU game. They have jumped by +13 and +8 in the NET after the victories over NM and @BSU and currently sit at 83. A few more wins against the top 6 and some blowouts of the lower teams and they could be sitting in the 50’s. That would also likely put them at 5-6 Q1 wins. They could be one of the last teams in easily with that. Look at Pittsburgh last year who was like 70 in the NET and got in. Not saying they will but saying they could.

Edit:
I went and looked back to last years NCAA selections. Pitt did get in with a NET 67. They were (4-4, 3-5, 5-1, 10-1) in the quadrants. They didn’t finish the season very strong but won 2 games in their conference tournament. They had a Q3 and a Q4 loss.

Arizona St also got an at-large with a NET of 66. They were (5-6, 4-5, 5-0, 8-1). Also with a Q4 loss like Pitt.

I think the last few selections are teams they feel there are extenuating circumstances that they feel finished the season strong and are trying to reward them.

Providence and USC also in the 50’s and got invites.

I feel UNLV could fall within that category at seasons end. It’s also not lost on me that all of those teams are from power conferences. So there’s that.

These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
Roy McAvoy

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 18th, 2024, 1:29 pm

We shall see how it all goes down. They had people come off injuries and others who recently became eligible. That certainly helps. Let's see how their fresh legs start to tire as the season goes on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic