2024-25 Roster & Commits

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
treesap32

2024-25 Roster & Commits

Post by treesap32 » December 20th, 2023, 2:32 pm

I thought it would be useful to outline our potential roster and commits situation for next year. I'm basing this off of aggies22's post here.

Confirmed Returners:

1 - Ian Martinez (COVID Sr.)
2 - Deyton Albury (Sr.)
3 - Josh Uduje (Sr.)
4 - Aubin Gateretse (Sr.)
5 - Drake Allen (Sr.)
6 - Isaac Johnson (Jr.)
7 - Mason Falslev (So.)
8 - Karson Templin (So.)

Probable or Possible Returners:
Great Osobor (Sr.) (Extremely Low)
Chris Cox (Fr.) (Low)

Others in Play:
Terrence Hill Jr. (Fr.) (Previous Signee in portal)

Walkons:
- Jaxon Smith (RsFr.)
- Jordy Barnes (Fr.) (Preferred) (Low)
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 6):
Bank Shotaggies22Aggies1888cvalRoy McAvoyHeathen

Zaggie07

Re: 2024-25 Roster & Commits

Post by Zaggie07 » December 20th, 2023, 2:49 pm

13=15

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 20th, 2023, 2:55 pm

These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
aggies22Zaggie07

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 20th, 2023, 3:07 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 20th, 2023, 2:55 pm
Don't forget Chris Cox: https://bigblueusuaggienews.com/2023/11 ... ate-hoops/

13=16.
Thanks!

cval

Post by cval » January 14th, 2024, 10:33 am

Gotta think the two Grants, and Burris may not be back. If Agbonkpolo gets an injury year, then we still need one more.

I wonder if Templin or one of the new freshmen are thinking about a mission.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
AggiesForever

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » January 14th, 2024, 2:27 pm

cval wrote:Gotta think the two Grants, and Burris may not be back. If Agbonkpolo gets an injury year, then we still need one more.

I wonder if Templin or one of the new freshmen are thinking about a mission.
The one Grant for sure. I still have hopes for Burris. He’s only a sophomore and has lots of potential and good size. Agbonkpolo coming back really throws a kink in the works though. It was already a tight and crowded situation. We have some point guards coming in. I wonder about Javon Jackson coming back.

I think in this order the likelihood of leaving:
-Jackson Grant

-Max Agbonkpolo(not granted medical RS)
-Garrison Phelps, Dallin Grant, Javon Jackson, Nigel Burris
-someone that’s contributing now that we don’t expect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggies1888

Post by Aggies1888 » January 14th, 2024, 3:00 pm

I think if we continue to have success, we'll lose enough starters to NIL and transfer, the young guys might stay. Coach Sprinkle has mentioned our too small NIL on multiple occasions now, beyond his trying to boost the donations, I think it serves as a warning. He already told us we lost the battle for Battle last year as we weren't even close on NIL. The vultures will come.

cval

Post by cval » January 14th, 2024, 4:18 pm

One advantage we have is that a lot of these guys have already transferred once (or more). The increased penalty for additional transfers may help a little.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 14th, 2024, 4:39 pm

cval wrote:
January 14th, 2024, 4:18 pm
One advantage we have is that a lot of these guys have already transferred once (or more). The increased penalty for additional transfers may help a little.
There’s currently no such rule.

PIGSKINAGGIE

Post by PIGSKINAGGIE » January 14th, 2024, 5:33 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 14th, 2024, 4:39 pm
cval wrote:
January 14th, 2024, 4:18 pm
There’s currently no such rule.
Effing free for all. Not good for continuity, the fans, the game, or our give a $h!t. Ruining college sports.

USUOPP

Post by USUOPP » February 5th, 2024, 10:53 am

Dose any one really think the transfer portal hurt the aggies this year. I’m sure Sprinkle dose not want to go through the anxiety of bringing a new roster ever again! Dose anyone really think we be a better team if we had not lost a single player to portal last year. This is one of best Aggie teams. Change one player in the equation and your team could have been totally different chemistry wise! Next year potential looks amazing and if they lose a few players to transfer(don't count out Osobor testing the NBA waters)I think we all feel good about Sprinkles ability to plug in a whole or eight! My six months ago self would think I sound like an idiot.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 5th, 2024, 11:23 am

USUOPP wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 10:53 am
Dose any one really think the transfer portal hurt the aggies this year. I’m sure Sprinkle dose not want to go through the anxiety of bringing a new roster ever again! Dose anyone really think we be a better team if we had not lost a single player to portal last year. This is one of best Aggie teams. Change one player in the equation and your team could have been totally different chemistry wise! Next year potential looks amazing and if they lose a few players to transfer(don't count out Osobor testing the NBA waters)I think we all feel good about Sprinkles ability to plug in a whole or eight! My six months ago self would think I sound like an idiot.
I understand the transfer portal and NIL complaints, but I mentioned last summer that we've absolutely been on the winning side of the transfer portal pretty consistently. It's clearly a good thing for high-performing mid-majors, but I think it's probably good for collegiate hoops across the board. A few cases to consider:

Marco Anthony: leaves Virgina to come to USU, then Utah. He barely sniffed the floor at Virginia, but he got extended minutes at USU and Utah. Virginia lost very little production from him, but USU and Utah were both quite a bit better for his usage.

Szymon Zapala: leaves Utah State where he barely sniffed the floor to become a high performer for Longwood. Utah State lost very little from his departure, but Longwood is certainly better with him on the team.

Dan Akin (or Great Osobor): after high performance in a lower ranked conference, elevated his game playing better competition in a larger conference. The increased growth against better competition AND the increased visibility from the better basketball school means they will have more opportunities to play as pros.

Honestly, I think it allows the basketball free market to even itself out and more efficiently spread talent/capability. We lost Szymon and Zapala, but we brought in Osobor, Templin, and Sahko―we came out ahead on that one. A rising tide raises all ships, and guys going up or going down will get the most out of their abilities, making basketball better across the board. Most importantly, it allows the players themselves more control over their situations.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 5th, 2024, 11:53 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
USUOPP wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 10:53 am
I understand the transfer portal and NIL complaints, but I mentioned last summer that we've absolutely been on the winning side of the transfer portal pretty consistently. It's clearly a good thing for high-performing mid-majors, but I think it's probably good for collegiate hoops across the board. A few cases to consider:

Marco Anthony: leaves Virgina to come to USU, then Utah. He barely sniffed the floor at Virginia, but he got extended minutes at USU and Utah. Virginia lost very little production from him, but USU and Utah were both quite a bit better for his usage.

Szymon Zapala: leaves Utah State where he barely sniffed the floor to become a high performer for Longwood. Utah State lost very little from his departure, but Longwood is certainly better with him on the team.

Dan Akin (or Great Osobor): after high performance in a lower ranked conference, elevated his game playing better competition in a larger conference. The increased growth against better competition AND the increased visibility from the better basketball school means they will have more opportunities to play as pros.

Honestly, I think it allows the basketball free market to even itself out and more efficiently spread talent/capability. We lost Szymon and Zapala, but we brought in Osobor, Templin, and Sahko―we came out ahead on that one. A rising tide raises all ships, and guys going up or going down will get the most out of their abilities, making basketball better across the board. Most importantly, it allows the players themselves more control over their situations.
Now do Ashworth, Shulga, Bairstow and Worster.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 5th, 2024, 12:56 pm

2004AG wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 11:53 am
Shulga, Bairstow, and Worster pretty much lateraled, all to stick with a coach. Their performance might have been worse or better here, depending on how things would have shaken out, but I see their transfer scenarios as a wash. I didn't directly address lateral transfers in my post above, but I perceive it as a player's choice with a net neutral effect on the system

Ashworth is different. He transferred up, but apparently couldn't quite hack it—at least, that's what we would say. From that perspetive, it's a net loss for the system, as he likely would have performed better at Utah State than at Creighton.

But it might be worth challening our viewpoint here. I apologize, but I haven't watched Creighton play; I really don't watch much beside the Aggies. Therefore, allow me to preface by saying I am ignorant about this. However, he still seems to be having a decent time at Creighton. His season averages stats are good. The only real big knock is his 3pt% has decreased a lot. Other things have improved. And his conference play in the Big East has been fruitful. Is his decline in productivity because he left Utah State for Creighton, or because he left Ryan Odom's run-and-gun, live-or-die-by-the-3 blistering offense? If he were here at USU this season, would he match last year's numbers, or would they have similarly declined? Where in the world would he be getting 30 minutes/game on our team? Less Uduje and Mason? Do we have Brown in less often because we have a better back up from the shooting/assist threat in Ashworth?

Or maybe he's just getting up to speed with the higher skill of the Big East. Idk. It's not like a Koby McEwen situation where he tried to trade up and realized he wasn't capable enough for it. I think there's a much better argument for Koby McEwen being a net loss in the system.

cval

Post by cval » February 5th, 2024, 1:01 pm

Koby had to have the ball in his hands a lot. Sam was a better player without Koby dominating the ball and taking too many of the available shots.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 5th, 2024, 2:52 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 11:53 am
Shulga, Bairstow, and Worster pretty much lateraled, all to stick with a coach. Their performance might have been worse or better here, depending on how things would have shaken out, but I see their transfer scenarios as a wash. I didn't directly address lateral transfers in my post above, but I perceive it as a player's choice with a net neutral effect on the system

Ashworth is different. He transferred up, but apparently couldn't quite hack it—at least, that's what we would say. From that perspetive, it's a net loss for the system, as he likely would have performed better at Utah State than at Creighton.

But it might be worth challening our viewpoint here. I apologize, but I haven't watched Creighton play; I really don't watch much beside the Aggies. Therefore, allow me to preface by saying I am ignorant about this. However, he still seems to be having a decent time at Creighton. His season averages stats are good. The only real big knock is his 3pt% has decreased a lot. Other things have improved. And his conference play in the Big East has been fruitful. Is his decline in productivity because he left Utah State for Creighton, or because he left Ryan Odom's run-and-gun, live-or-die-by-the-3 blistering offense? If he were here at USU this season, would he match last year's numbers, or would they have similarly declined? Where in the world would he be getting 30 minutes/game on our team? Less Uduje and Mason? Do we have Brown in less often because we have a better back up from the shooting/assist threat in Ashworth?

Or maybe he's just getting up to speed with the higher skill of the Big East. Idk. It's not like a Koby McEwen situation where he tried to trade up and realized he wasn't capable enough for it. I think there's a much better argument for Koby McEwen being a net loss in the system.
I thought we were talking about whether or not the transfer portal benefited us?

USUOPP

Post by USUOPP » February 5th, 2024, 4:54 pm

This is obviously an impossible exercise. Ashworth leaving hurt as a fan, however if he stays then this team gets bult different. No way of knowing the butterfly effect!
Maybe Brown says no thank you to trying and complete for playing time with Ashworth.
Maby others stay or come back. Zaplala, Dorius, and Hamoda all left after Ashworths desition.
If those 4 stay, what for transfers would we not have gotten(Osobor, brown, Martinez, uduje?)

I could go on and on about the possible butterfly effects.

The original point I was trying to make. Is knowing what we know now would you pick keeping all of last years players(that where eligible to stay) or the Team we got now. Remember if every one stays, that only 3 spots needed to fill and we already had 4 committed so we know the entire makeup of what could have been.
So what team or you picking?!
These users thanked the author USUOPP for the post:
Real Life Aggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 5th, 2024, 5:22 pm

USUOPP wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 4:54 pm
This is obviously an impossible exercise. Ashworth leaving hurt as a fan, however if he stays then this team gets bult different. No way of knowing the butterfly effect!
Maybe Brown says no thank you to trying and complete for playing time with Ashworth.
Maby others stay or come back. Zaplala, Dorius, and Hamoda all left after Ashworths desition.
If those 4 stay, what for transfers would we not have gotten(Osobor, brown, Martinez, uduje?)

The original point I was trying to make. Is knowing what we know now would you pick keeping all of last years players(that where eligible to stay) or the Team we got now. Remember if every one stays, that only 3 spots needed to fill and we already had 4 committed so we know the entire makeup of what could have been.
You're right is impossible to a certain extend.

Here's what we do know. Those players I mentioned are really good players. Sprinkle is a really good coach. I have a feeling he would have made it all work.

This teams lacks 3 point shooting, having Ashworth and Shulga would have made this team even better than they already are.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
Real Life Aggie

cval

Post by cval » February 5th, 2024, 6:20 pm

And, I think Danny will be able to build a good team whether or not he brings in the upperclassmen PG You are clamoring for.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 5th, 2024, 7:29 pm

cval wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 6:20 pm
And, I think Danny will be able to build a good team whether or not he brings in the upperclassmen PG You are clamoring for.
I'm on the Terrence Hill, Jordy Barnes hype train.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
LarryTheAggiecvalslcagg

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 6th, 2024, 12:01 am

2004AG wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 5:22 pm
USUOPP wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 4:54 pm

You're right is impossible to a certain extend.

Here's what we do know. Those players I mentioned are really good players. Sprinkle is a really good coach. I have a feeling he would have made it all work.

This teams lacks 3 point shooting, having Ashworth and Shulga would have made this team even better than they already are.
You know I'm with you on that point. I've been complaining that both of them would have been great to have.

Though, I can't help but notice that tickle in the back of my mind. Wasn't it Martinez who joined really late? If one or both were here, would he have come? If we just assume we could have him AND Shulga or Ashworth, awesome. Sprinkle could do some work with that.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » March 11th, 2024, 1:01 am

If Sprinkle leaves I think you could wave good bye to Osobor, who follows or turns professional.

Dallin Grant is not going to be leaving. He's an Aggie through and through. The other Grant has been somewhat of a disappointment, at least as much as a redshirt junior can be.

I personally am not a big fan of the transfer portal as presently constituted. Unbridled free agency. The wild, wild West on steroids. I know the players think it's great. But there's nothing in it for the fan, no certainty from year to year. All you can do is cheer for your school and hope whomever your coach is can put a team together that can compete.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 17th, 2024, 1:09 am

I moved Javon Jackson to the walkon list (per aggies22). If he is not granted a scholarship next year we are still over by two scholarships. Will be interesting to see who leaves.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
aggies22

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 17th, 2024, 2:23 am

treesap32 wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 1:09 am
I moved Javon Jackson to the walkon list (per aggies22). If he is not granted a scholarship next year we are still over by two scholarships. Will be interesting to see who leaves.
Sadly I don’t think we have to worry about being over extended on scholarships anymore.

Javon absolutely should be offered a scholarship by our next coach, I hope he sticks around.

ImportAggie

Post by ImportAggie » March 29th, 2024, 10:27 pm

In the coming days I hope we start getting some real clarity here…. VERY exciting rumors about what Calhoun and the collective are already doing!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 15th, 2024, 9:18 am

Updated to include current lay of the land, utilizing @aggies22's intel.
aggies22

Aggie37

Post by Aggie37 » April 15th, 2024, 2:54 pm

treesap32 wrote:
December 20th, 2023, 2:32 pm
I thought it would be useful to outline our potential roster and commits situation for next year. I'm basing this off of aggies22's post here.

Confirmed Returners:

1 - Deyton Albury (Sr.)
2 - Jackson Grant (Sr.)
3 - Isaac Johnson (Jr.)
4 - Nigel Burris (Jr.)
5 - Mason Falslev (So.)
6 - Karson Templin (So.)
7 - Garrison Phelps (RsFr.)
8 - Jordy Barnes (Fr.)
9 - Josh Uduje (Sr.)

Probable or Possible Returners:
10 - Chris Cox (Fr.) (HIGH)
11 - Ian Martinez (COVID Sr.) (HIGH)
12 - Great Osobor (Sr.) (MEDIUM)

Others in Play:
Kase Wynott (Fr.) (Previous Signee in portal)
Terrence Hill Jr. (Fr.) (Previous Signee in portal)
Dallin Hall (Jr.), BYU (considering USU among final 8)
Aubin Gateretse (Sr.), Stetson (considering USU among final 7)

Walkons:
- Jaxon Smith (RsFr.)
Pretty sure Jordy Barnes will be a walk-on like Jaxon Smith. He was not offered a scholarship from Sprinkle and never "signed" an NLI like Wynott and Hill did. This leaves another scholarship position open for a portal recruit.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 15th, 2024, 3:43 pm

Can we pretty please, in a very polite and classy way, tell Jackson Grant to go somewhere like Idaho State where he can actually play. I mean, doesn't he want to play?
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 16th, 2024, 9:55 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 3:43 pm
Can we pretty please, in a very polite and classy way, tell Jackson Grant to go somewhere like Idaho State where he can actually play. I mean, doesn't he want to play?
See recruiting cycle, same 'prime hoping that non-contributors will be shown the door.

I'm with you, though I will trust in Coach's decision if he keeps him around. Didn't '22 indicate that spending a whole season battling against Great is probably going to pay off for Grant? I just realized he's a senior this year... I thought he was younger than that, like Dallin Grant. Oof.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 17th, 2024, 6:37 am

Honestly these days it doesn’t matter much. Grant is a big body and at least has experience with the team, he’s probably more valuable to us than a HS recruit who will redshirt, although I hope Calhoun finds a way to bring in Dynes for the backup C spot.

Unless there’s a way to get both Hill and Wynott, then you need to find a scholarship somehow or another.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 19th, 2024, 7:55 am

Added Aubin Gateretse

Aggie37

Post by Aggie37 » April 19th, 2024, 8:14 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 6:37 am
Honestly these days it doesn’t matter much. Grant is a big body and at least has experience with the team, he’s probably more valuable to us than a HS recruit who will redshirt, although I hope Calhoun finds a way to bring in Dynes for the backup C spot.

Unless there’s a way to get both Hill and Wynott, then you need to find a scholarship somehow or another.
We have another scholarship. Jordy Barnes is a PWO. I have confirmed this from two sources. There’s a high chance that Ian now returns as well. Assuming Ian returns and now that Aubin has committed, we have two PWOs confirmed and have three scholarships to fill to bring us to 15. I expect us to add another PG, Wing and PF/C.
These users thanked the author Aggie37 for the post (total 4):
treesap32flying_scotsman2.0vegasaggieReal Life Aggie

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 19th, 2024, 8:22 am

Aggie37 wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 8:14 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

We have another scholarship. Jordy Barnes is a PWO. I have confirmed this from two sources. There’s a high chance that Ian now returns as well. Assuming Ian returns and now that Aubin has committed, we have two PWOs confirmed and have three scholarships to fill to bring us to 15. I expect us to add another PG, Wing and PF/C.
Thanks, updated!
Aggie37

EngineeringAggie

Post by EngineeringAggie » April 19th, 2024, 8:53 am

Aggie37 wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 8:14 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Did something change since last night because it sounded like Ian was back to Medium likelihood of coming back?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic