Ashworth would help.....

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BobWilson

Ashworth would help.....

Post by BobWilson » January 7th, 2024, 11:15 am

....provide better shooting from the 3 point line, but who would you want hime to replace among the current rotation? Or would you extend the rotation and cut all the guards a few minutes?

Ashworth or not, we need better three point shooting - at least to 35%.

Coloraggie

Re: Ashworth would help.....

Post by Coloraggie » January 7th, 2024, 11:46 am

I think we'd be better with a Brian Green type. Ashworth wanted the ball but Green could float around the 3 point line and just bury the shots. Not saying he would have to play a ton of minutes but it could soon pull a defense away from packing the paint against Osobor.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » January 7th, 2024, 11:48 am

There's nobody on this team Ashworth could replace. Is he better than Brown. No. Ashworth has to have the ball in his hands. Brown wants the ball out of his hands to others, except when a big shot is needed.

Would he replace Falslev or Martinez? Off the bench maybe. Falslev's 3 point shot is starting to fall, and he can get to the rim without his shot being blocked. Ashworth was blocked down low most of the time. Plus Falslev plays better defense than Ashworth, who was mostly watching bigger guards get past him. Martinez is just way too athletic and long to be replaced by Ashworth.

On this team, he might have started, but would have been subbed out pretty fast for guys more rounded. To play for Sprinkle, you have to be able to do more than shoot, as several have found out.

I wish him well, but I like the rotation we have.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 3):
MrBiggleAggieFBObsessionPIGSKINAGGIE

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 7th, 2024, 11:52 am

Coloraggie wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 11:46 am
I think we'd be better with a Brian Green type. Ashworth wanted the ball but Green could float around the 3 point line and just bury the shots. Not saying he would have to play a ton of minutes but it could soon pull a defense away from packing the paint against Osobor.
Obviously I'd take JC or Merrill on this team. But in the context of last year's guys, Bairstow would have thrived in this system with his size, defense and athleticism. But so would have Max and Funk.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » January 7th, 2024, 11:57 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 11:52 am
Coloraggie wrote:
Obviously I'd take JC or Merrill on this team. But in the context of last year's guys, Bairstow would have thrived in this system with his size, defense and athleticism. But so would have Max and Funk.
Sorry, Funk would only see the court sparingly with Sprinkle because of his defense. You are right that Bairstow with his defense and bad shooting would probably fit right in! And yes, any time you can get a JC or Merrill you take them.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 7th, 2024, 12:38 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 11:57 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Coloraggie wrote:
Sorry, Funk would only see the court sparingly with Sprinkle because of his defense. You are right that Bairstow with his defense and bad shooting would probably fit right in! And yes, any time you can get a JC or Merrill you take them.
You're 100% right. I was actually thinking Adkin not Funk. I wish Adkin had another year of eligibility, he would have stuck around.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » January 7th, 2024, 1:17 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 12:38 pm
Coloraggie wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 11:57 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Coloraggie wrote:
You're 100% right. I was actually thinking Adkin not Funk. I wish Adkin had another year of eligibility, he would have stuck around.
In that case you are correct. I would love to see a Brit in Akin relieve a fellow Brit in Osobor. That would give Osobor some rest and a really deep team.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » January 7th, 2024, 1:24 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Coloraggie wrote:
Sprinkle would have found a way to use Funk. He brought something this team could really use. Sometimes we don’t know what a person is capable of until it is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jazzdog56466

Post by jazzdog56466 » January 7th, 2024, 2:48 pm

Funk would play on any team anywhere. Unless a coach is truly stubborn. Not many guys can shoot it like him from anywhere on the floor. He had a sniff with an NBA team—-I’m sure he could play for Coach Sprinke.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 7th, 2024, 3:18 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 11:48 am
There's nobody on this team Ashworth could replace. Is he better than Brown. No. Ashworth has to have the ball in his hands. Brown wants the ball out of his hands to others, except when a big shot is needed.

Would he replace Falslev or Martinez? Off the bench maybe. Falslev's 3 point shot is starting to fall, and he can get to the rim without his shot being blocked. Ashworth was blocked down low most of the time. Plus Falslev plays better defense than Ashworth, who was mostly watching bigger guards get past him. Martinez is just way too athletic and long to be replaced by Ashworth.

On this team, he might have started, but would have been subbed out pretty fast for guys more rounded. To play for Sprinkle, you have to be able to do more than shoot, as several have found out.

Wouldn't it obviously be Javon Jackson, while taking some of Falslev's minutes? Falslev got lost on defense multiple times yesterday; it's not like he's that much better of a better defender than ashworth. This team needs a shooter.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
Gidbob

Aggies All the Way!

jazzdog56466

Post by jazzdog56466 » January 7th, 2024, 3:33 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 3:18 pm
AggiesForever wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 11:48 am

Wouldn't it obviously be Javon Jackson, while taking some of Falslev's minutes? Falslev got lost on defense multiple times yesterday; it's not like he's that much better of a better defender than ashworth. This team needs a shooter.

You are correct

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 7th, 2024, 6:05 pm

If you could pick one of Ashworth, Shulga, or Bairstow to add to this year's team, which would you choose?

Eutaw St. Aggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 7th, 2024, 6:17 pm

Against a Sprinkle defense teams would’ve attacked Ashworth relentlessly. Watch how often guards get switched onto a big down low. Now imagine that being 5’11” and 135 lb Ashworth down there on the block.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 7th, 2024, 6:29 pm

We've all seen this story play out time and time again. Someone successful leaves Utah State, then we browbeat and diminish them like they were a wife-beating in-law.

If Ashworth were here, he'd get time. He'd play in Sprinkle's system, he'd work on improving his defense, and he'd play selfless Aggie basketball—just like he did when he was here. Idk where this "has to have the ball in his hands" slander came from, because that was not Ashworth. Last year he was #8 in single season assists. He was an incredible player and a great guy. He left and we've got a great time now. We'd probably be better if he were here. But we also wouldn't have assembled the same team if he hadn't left. Life happens.

And it's not like he slacked on defense; he was tenacious and pesky. Perhaps not a natural defensive force, but certainly not a slouch. He often had games where he shut down other players.

Too bad he's not doing well at Creighton. Too bad he spurned us by moving on. But we're in a great spot now, and we don't need to be sore losers about it.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 5):
Intermeddleraggieguy13vegasaggieosuaggiecavernaggie

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » January 7th, 2024, 6:46 pm

Yea. Maybe if those guys would have stayed we'd be 15-0 instead of 14-1. They'd be taking minutes from the guys that actually want to be here and seem to be doing pretty well. OK, sarcasm aside, the one guy from last year that I think would be perfect fit would be Aiken. I also think Sprink is the type of coach that would have had a heart-to-heart talk to him about whining and just playing hard. Would be energy to bring off the bench and give Great a breather.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 7th, 2024, 6:59 pm

I’ve been pretty vocal about ho stupid ashworth is for leaving.

Regardless, of course he would help out team. His shooting and spacing would open up so much more for Osobor.

Sprinkle would find ways to use him just fine and not take anything away from Browm.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 7th, 2024, 7:42 pm

A secondary creator and outside shooter is exactly what our current team is missing. Ashworth would play a lot.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 7th, 2024, 7:48 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 7:42 pm
A secondary creator and outside shooter is exactly what our current team is missing. Ashworth would play a lot.
100%.

And yet, we're doing pretty well for ourselves. :)
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
Intermeddler

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic