Sam

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggieguy13

Re: Sam

Post by aggieguy13 » January 31st, 2024, 3:29 pm

Here's a look into Sam's last game where he only played 7 minutes. It's pretty incredible the amount of effort other teams are putting into making sure Sam doesn't get good looks.
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 31st, 2024, 4:14 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
January 31st, 2024, 3:29 pm
Here's a look into Sam's last game where he only played 7 minutes. It's pretty incredible the amount of effort other teams are putting into making sure Sam doesn't get good looks.
Thanks for sharing. My soul already feels better.

I'm considering heading to a game when the Cavs are in Phoenix. I'd love to see Sam in person.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 31st, 2024, 4:19 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
I actually agree with several of the responses. If Sam is drawing that type of attention that's a great reason to leave him in the game. He may not score but if Kawhi Leonard is 100% focused on Sam then that means that Kawhi isn't bothering anyone else. It opens things up for everyone else.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 31st, 2024, 5:21 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
January 31st, 2024, 4:19 pm
aggieguy13 wrote:
I actually agree with several of the responses. If Sam is drawing that type of attention that's a great reason to leave him in the game. He may not score but if Kawhi Leonard is 100% focused on Sam then that means that Kawhi isn't bothering anyone else. It opens things up for everyone else.
Notice Sam's defender never peels off to help guard the dribble drive, he stays on Sam. That's a key benefit to him being on the floor - he negates the double team.

dogie

Post by dogie » January 31st, 2024, 8:22 pm

He was 3-for-5 from three tonight, with 11 points in 16 minutes.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » January 31st, 2024, 9:10 pm

That dickhead guy talking misses a lot of the game harping on Merrill. He tied up a defender and his team mates plain missed some shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » February 2nd, 2024, 7:11 am

One thing my youngest son, who is becoming an NBA stats nerd, is that Sam’s +/- numbers have been bad. He asked me why and my only conclusion was that he either comes in when several starters are off the court, so they are collectively worse, or that he often has garbage time minutes when they are up a lot or diedown a lot.

I think he counted 8 out of 10 games where Sam had negative +/-, even when the starters were positive ABs they win the game.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 2nd, 2024, 7:36 am

jpswensen wrote:
February 2nd, 2024, 7:11 am
One thing my youngest son, who is becoming an NBA stats nerd, is that Sam’s +/- numbers have been bad. He asked me why and my only conclusion was that he either comes in when several starters are off the court, so they are collectively worse, or that he often has garbage time minutes when they are up a lot or diedown a lot.

I think he counted 8 out of 10 games where Sam had negative +/-, even when the starters were positive ABs they win the game.
The + / - stat, in my opinion, is about as useful on its own as the old "GWRBI" (Game Winning RBI) stat was in baseball during the 80's. It just doesn't account for enough factors.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
jackattack

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 2nd, 2024, 7:45 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
February 2nd, 2024, 7:36 am
jpswensen wrote:
February 2nd, 2024, 7:11 am

The + / - stat, in my opinion, is about as useful on its own as the old "GWRBI" (Game Winning RBI) stat was in baseball during the 80's. It just doesn't account for enough factors.
Exactly. I've never liked +/-.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » February 2nd, 2024, 8:10 am

The Cavs have been one of the best teams since Sam started playing extended minutes. That tells me all I need to know.

columbusaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by columbusaggie » February 5th, 2024, 7:23 pm

10 minutes so far tonight, they are thrashing the Kings so that is some. Is this all we can expect for Sam to get on the Cavs?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 5th, 2024, 7:24 pm

Watched the Cavs-Kings game tonight (the parts where Sam played). He got about 8 minutes in the second quarter - went 2-3 from the with a steal and forced another turnover with good defensive position cutting off a dive.

Got back in with under 3 minutes of garbage time in a 25-point game. Hit another 3 coming off a screen.

I learned something about one of San's teammates - Damian Jones. He played at Vanderbilt and didn't graduate but went back and graduated with a degree in engineering. They said he is one of the nicest guys in the league (I mean, what engineer isn't a nice guy?)
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 3):
EngineeringAggieAggie in BoiseReal Life Aggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

jackattack

Post by jackattack » February 5th, 2024, 7:32 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 7:24 pm
Watched the Cavs-Kings game tonight (the parts where Sam played). He got about 8 minutes in the second quarter - went 2-3 from the with a steal and forced another turnover with good defensive position cutting off a dive.

Got back in with under 3 minutes of garbage time in a 25-point game. Hit another 3 coming off a screen.

I learned something about one of San's teammates - Damian Jones. He played at Vanderbilt and didn't graduate but went back and graduated with a degree in engineering. They said he is one of the nicest guys in the league (I mean, what engineer isn't a nice guy?)

Engineers are nice guys?😂 I tried moving a baby grand piano with 5 engineers one time. They were nice guys but BOY were they opinionated. Took like 3 hours for them to agree on a way to move it!
These users thanked the author jackattack for the post (total 3):
EngineeringAggieslcaggReal Life Aggie

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » February 5th, 2024, 8:29 pm

Yossarian wrote:

RLA is an Engineer, right?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 5th, 2024, 9:26 pm

Apparently he turned down the 3 point contest?

https://x.com/h_grove/status/1754700571 ... uqiuyMnXqg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 5th, 2024, 9:47 pm

jackattack wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 7:32 pm
Yossarian wrote:

Engineers are nice guys?😂 I tried moving a baby grand piano with 5 engineers one time. They were nice guys but BOY were they opinionated. Took like 3 hours for them to agree on a way to move it!
Lol this is so true!

AgsRock
Has thanked: 0

Post by AgsRock » February 5th, 2024, 10:20 pm

Seems like a mistake not to participate in the 3 point contest when you are just starting to break into the NBA.
These users thanked the author AgsRock for the post:
jpswensen

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » February 6th, 2024, 12:00 am

AgsRock wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 10:20 pm
Seems like a mistake not to participate in the 3 point contest when you are just starting to break into the NBA.
Agreed. The exposure could have made him a lot of money. His agent should have advised him better.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » February 6th, 2024, 12:10 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 8:29 pm
Yossarian wrote:

RLA/PLA > Engineer
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 6th, 2024, 12:15 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 8:29 pm
Yossarian wrote:

I see what you did there.

Hello, my name is RLA, and I'm an engineer. Actually, I'm a recovering engineer. So... :noidea:
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
Aggie in Boise

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » February 6th, 2024, 10:02 am

Maybe he's saving himself for the dunk contest 🤔

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » February 6th, 2024, 10:07 am

jackattack wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

I am an engineer and have my PE license. I'll be honest and say that I love to over "anal"yze things.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post:
jackattack

Hoot

Post by Hoot » February 6th, 2024, 10:11 am

Coloraggie wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 10:07 am
jackattack wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

I am an engineer and have my PE license. I'll be honest and say that I love to over "anal"yze things.
This is a family site. Please keep your love life to yourself.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
Real Life Aggie

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 6th, 2024, 10:13 am

Hoot wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 10:11 am
Coloraggie wrote:
jackattack wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Easy. He's not advertising himself as a combination analyst/therapist.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0Real Life Aggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

Hoot

Post by Hoot » February 6th, 2024, 10:28 am

Yossarian wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 10:13 am
Hoot wrote:
Coloraggie wrote:
jackattack wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Ah, the first ever analrapist!
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0FloridaAggie13

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 6th, 2024, 11:15 am

Hoot wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 10:28 am
Yossarian wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 10:13 am
Hoot wrote:
Coloraggie wrote:
jackattack wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Ah, the first ever analrapist!

SweepDance

Post by SweepDance » February 6th, 2024, 11:59 am

AgsRock wrote:
Too bad he didn't get the opportunity a year sooner, I bet he would have participated if it was in SLC.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » February 6th, 2024, 6:16 pm

These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13OKAggie

Aggie4L1fe

Post by Aggie4L1fe » February 17th, 2024, 7:19 pm

Money Merril!!!

These users thanked the author Aggie4L1fe for the post (total 9):
Section_L_AggieFloridaAggie13Aggie84025ImakeitrainDwigttrevordudeToastedFlakes52ReckonerReal Life Aggie

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » February 17th, 2024, 8:32 pm

Sam being BFF's with Don could get him a nice contract as the Cavs try to keep Mitchell

SweepDance

Post by SweepDance » February 19th, 2024, 9:00 pm

Aggie4L1fe wrote:
February 17th, 2024, 7:19 pm
Money Merril!!!

It’s been two days and I still can’t get over this. Sam went from fighting for a roster spot last season to having a legitimate superstar wearing HIS jersey during all-star weekend like us in the stands do.

He’s a loyal Aggie, ended his college career in an anticlimactic, yet poetic way, and seems to work as hard as anyone else out there. I don’t know that I’ve ever been happier to see anyone else’s success.

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » February 20th, 2024, 7:50 am

AgsRock wrote:
Disagree. There is upside if you do well, but it is pretty risky. If gets nervous or has a horrible showing, then the negative press will doom his career. Better to be under the radar and outperform expectations. NBA teams easily will know what he can do and will pay for that regardless of the 3pt competition.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 20th, 2024, 8:09 am

Does anyone even watch the NBA All-Star weekend?
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » February 20th, 2024, 8:20 am

NVAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 8:09 am
I, for one, had no idea it was happening. Played tourist for the weekend and didn't pay attention to the news or NBA. I lost a lot of enthusiasm for the Jazz after they gutted the team for a rebuild, and now I can't watch games so easily, so I really have NFTG.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 20th, 2024, 8:49 am

NVAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 8:09 am
Outside of Sam, I don't pay attention to the NBA.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic