Sam

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: Sam

Post by NVAggie » February 20th, 2024, 9:03 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 8:49 am
NVAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 8:09 am
Does anyone even watch the NBA All-Star weekend?
Outside of Sam, I don't pay attention to the NBA.
and Neemias.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
MrBiggle

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » February 20th, 2024, 9:21 am

I was curious so I just looked up Bean in Euroleague.
he averages:
15 MIN
4.1 PTS
2.8 REB
0.5 AST
0.8 STL
0.4 BLK
These users thanked the author tysteve20 for the post:
Aggie84025

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » February 20th, 2024, 10:47 am

thrashsoundly wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 8:20 am
NVAggie wrote:
I, for one, had no idea it was happening. Played tourist for the weekend and didn't pay attention to the news or NBA. I lost a lot of enthusiasm for the Jazz after they gutted the team for a rebuild, and now I can't watch games so easily, so I really have NFTG.
I lost ALL enthusiasm for the Jazz when that Mr. Smith guy took over. Prior to that it was decreasing at a steady pace.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » February 20th, 2024, 10:51 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 10:47 am
thrashsoundly wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
I, for one, had no idea it was happening. Played tourist for the weekend and didn't pay attention to the news or NBA. I lost a lot of enthusiasm for the Jazz after they gutted the team for a rebuild, and now I can't watch games so easily, so I really have NFTG.
I lost ALL enthusiasm for the Jazz when that Mr. Smith guy took over. Prior to that it was decreasing at a steady pace.
He has done a good job with RSL!

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » February 20th, 2024, 10:59 am

AggieFanNate wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 10:51 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
thrashsoundly wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
I wouldn't know because I don't watch RSL.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » February 20th, 2024, 11:08 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 10:59 am
AggieFanNate wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 10:51 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
thrashsoundly wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
I wouldn't know because I don't watch RSL.
Previous owner was crazy stingy and didn’t invest in the team at all. Smith came and they’ve had multiple record signing for RSL and have done a lot of work fixing up the stadium. Some quality creative uniforms too. Only issue I have is with the coach but we will see we made the playoffs last year so maybe the coach wasn’t the issue. But we were on watch for winning the while MLS last year.

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » February 20th, 2024, 11:26 am

Love RSL but my issue with MLS is the inaccessibility of watching games. It was great being able to watch every game on a local station. Along came Apple and last summer was the first season I watched 0 RSL games.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 20th, 2024, 11:29 am

I went to a couple of RSL games several years ago. I was guaranteed by others that it was an amazing experience. The first game ended in a 0-0 tie. The away team was flopping all over at the end to run clock. I was unimpressed, but I was told it is much better when a goal is scored. I went to another game. RSL scored a goal and won 1-0. I wouldn't consider that game much better. I guess I just don't care much for MLS soccer.

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » February 20th, 2024, 11:38 am

NVAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 11:29 am
I went to a couple of RSL games several years ago. I was guaranteed by others that it was an amazing experience. The first game ended in a 0-0 tie. The away team was flopping all over at the end to run clock. I was unimpressed, but I was told it is much better when a goal is scored. I went to another game. RSL scored a goal and won 1-0. I wouldn't consider that game much better. I guess I just don't care much for MLS soccer.
Was it the beginning of the season? Or the middle close to the end?

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » February 20th, 2024, 11:40 am

thrashsoundly wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 11:26 am
Love RSL but my issue with MLS is the inaccessibility of watching games. It was great being able to watch every game on a local station. Along came Apple and last summer was the first season I watched 0 RSL games.
I’ve liked the Apple deal. Increased the amount of money available to teams and it’s way cheaper than paying for live tv to watch the games plus you get a cool highlight show at the end of the day recapping the MLS games. Same reason I like the F1TV subscription

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » February 20th, 2024, 11:45 am

AggieFanNate wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 11:40 am
thrashsoundly wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 11:26 am
I’ve liked the Apple deal. Increased the amount of money available to teams and it’s way cheaper than paying for live tv to watch the games plus you get a cool highlight show at the end of the day recapping the MLS games. Same reason I like the F1TV subscription
Plus you have access to literally every game being played. They even have a nfl red zone type show that follows all the games. It’s not as good as red zone though.

jackattack

Post by jackattack » February 20th, 2024, 12:03 pm

thrashsoundly wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 7:50 am
AgsRock wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 10:20 pm
Seems like a mistake not to participate in the 3 point contest when you are just starting to break into the NBA.
Disagree. There is upside if you do well, but it is pretty risky. If gets nervous or has a horrible showing, then the negative press will doom his career. Better to be under the radar and outperform expectations. NBA teams easily will know what he can do and will pay for that regardless of the 3pt competition.
Would a smart coach listen to a lame media take? Someone’s career would be doomed if they do poorly in a staged exhibition?

Not sure if this comment was tongue in cheek…

Reward is much greater than any “risk” in my opinion.

jackattack

Post by jackattack » February 20th, 2024, 12:06 pm

NVAggie wrote:
If anyone does, they definitely won’t anymore after this weekend.

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » February 20th, 2024, 1:20 pm

NVAggie wrote:
:lol: So true... ridiculous IMO.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » February 20th, 2024, 1:23 pm

AggieFanNate wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 11:38 am
NVAggie wrote:
Oh great, another qualifier for entertainment value. I honestly don't remember. I know this much, I won't be going back.

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » February 20th, 2024, 1:36 pm

NVAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 1:23 pm
AggieFanNate wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
Oh great, another qualifier for entertainment value. I honestly don't remember. I know this much, I won't be going back.
It’s just because we weren’t that great at the start of last season. And near the end we weren’t as good either. But the middle we had some really great games. That’s all. I’m not qualifying entertainment. Because I get that for some people 0-0 can be boring. And we had a lot of those at the start of the season. Our offense really picked up after we signed our goal scorer.

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » February 20th, 2024, 1:37 pm

AggieFanNate wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 1:36 pm
NVAggie wrote:
AggieFanNate wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
It’s just because we weren’t that great at the start of last season. And near the end we weren’t as good either. But the middle we had some really great games. That’s all. I’m not qualifying entertainment. Because I get that for some people 0-0 can be boring. And we had a lot of those at the start of the season. Our offense really picked up after we signed our goal scorer.
Also I have to say that the Apple deal is the solution. Because the quality of play will improve as the MLS makes more and more revenue. It’s improved greatly in the last 10 years.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 20th, 2024, 1:45 pm

NVAggie wrote:
AggieFanNate wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
This reminds me of my wife complaining how boring a game was when both pitchers had a no-hitter going into the 8th
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
AggieFanNate

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » February 20th, 2024, 1:58 pm

How often do soccer games end in a 0-0 tie? How often do both teams pitchers carry a no-hitter through 8 innings? I suppose there is a difference.

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » February 20th, 2024, 2:03 pm

NVAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 1:58 pm
How often do soccer games end in a 0-0 tie? How often do both teams pitchers carry a no-hitter through 8 innings? I suppose there is a difference.
I’ve watched a few 0-0 ties in the past. One when I was at a RSL game. But I still found it exciting. The buildup to the point is the exciting part of soccer anyways. The close calls. And it makes when it goes in far more meaningful. With basketball each team is always scoring. It’s only a few certain points that actually make you feel anything. Trade the points that feel like filler and make them close calls and you got soccer. I used to think it was boring to watch. Most sports have boring games. Look back at the Gary Anderson 2.0 days of USU football. Maybe more painful than boring but still. We just weren’t used to watching soccer. Or at least I wasn’t in the past.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 20th, 2024, 2:05 pm

NVAggie wrote:
it doesn't matter how rare it is. to a casual fan of either sport, it's boring. to people who enjoy the sport, it's a feature not a bug.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
AggieFanNate

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » February 20th, 2024, 2:15 pm

jackattack wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 12:03 pm
thrashsoundly wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 7:50 am
AgsRock wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 10:20 pm
Seems like a mistake not to participate in the 3 point contest when you are just starting to break into the NBA.
Disagree. There is upside if you do well, but it is pretty risky. If gets nervous or has a horrible showing, then the negative press will doom his career. Better to be under the radar and outperform expectations. NBA teams easily will know what he can do and will pay for that regardless of the 3pt competition.
Would a smart coach listen to a lame media take? Someone’s career would be doomed if they do poorly in a staged exhibition?

Not sure if this comment was tongue in cheek…

Reward is much greater than any “risk” in my opinion.
Agreed, and winners seem to frequently take those types of risk.

I believe I read Sam was not planning to participate because he was going to take advantage of the break and spend time with family. Sounds good to me.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
jackattack

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 20th, 2024, 2:35 pm

NVAggie wrote:
I am aware of 1 game when both teams threw no- hitters. That happened in a game between the Cubs and Reds, in 1917. I am assuming Quackattck's wife was watching that game and was not thrilled by it. I don't know of any others that have gone into the eighth with both teams throwing no- hitters. Although - he didn't specify that it was an MLB game, so who knows?

Eutaw St. Aggie

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » February 20th, 2024, 2:38 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:35 pm
NVAggie wrote:
I am aware of 1 game when both teams threw no- hitters. That happened in a game between the Cubs and Reds, in 1917. I am assuming Quackattck's wife was watching that game and was not thrilled by it. I don't know of any others that have gone into the eighth with both teams throwing no- hitters. Although - he didn't specify that it was an MLB game, so who knows?
Either way though. There’s a reason soccer is the biggest sport in the world. Once you understand the game it’s entertaining. Even if there aren’t a ton of points.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » February 20th, 2024, 2:51 pm

Oh, I think I have a decent understanding of the "beautiful" game. The last 30 minutes you watch grown men flop around like a bunch of fish to waste time.

These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Aggie-Man

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » February 20th, 2024, 2:54 pm

NVAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:51 pm
Oh, I think I have a decent understanding of the "beautiful" game. The last 30 minutes you watch grown men flop around like a bunch of fish to waste time.

I haven’t really noticed that as a major thing. Usually the big flops stop the game a lot quicker than basketball or football. In fact yea there’s some flops. But there’s 0 pauses for commercial breaks or anything really. So I’ll take 1 or 2 minutes of stoppage from a few flops. Especially since they age stoppage time at the end to compensate to a degree.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » February 20th, 2024, 2:59 pm

Every MLS soccer game I have watched had a bunch of flops in the last third of the game. In a tie, the road team wants to secure the points and will dive often. With a lead, the home team will do it. It is annoying.

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » February 20th, 2024, 3:01 pm

NVAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:59 pm
Every MLS soccer game I have watched had a bunch of flops in the last third of the game. In a tie, the road team wants to secure the points and will dive often. With a lead, the home team will do it. It is annoying.
Yea there’s a couple flops. They take out a few minutes. Idk it doesn’t seem extreme. And it’s better than nfl games just upping the commercials near the end of a game. (I love football I’m just saying that’s one of the perks of soccer).

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 20th, 2024, 3:05 pm

Yossarian wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
I was exaggerating (it was probably 4 or 5 innings), but I had a college game in mind, not an MLB game. We went to a lot of Oregon baseball games when I was in school.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » February 20th, 2024, 3:08 pm

For a soccer enthusiast, I suppose the flops aren't annoying because they are seen as "features and not bugs". For me, it is a major turnoff to the point of not returning.

Since you bring up NFL games I suppose I will discuss. I don't watch the NFL. For college games, the commercials are becoming a hinderance in enjoyment. Who needs all of those breaks in the action. For the NBA, I hated the flopping to the point that I left that as well. Some college games get pretty bad with the poor officiating and review process. It gets a bit annoying when they review every clock stoppage or out of bounds play in the last two minutes.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 20th, 2024, 3:11 pm

NVAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 3:08 pm
For a soccer enthusiast, I suppose the flops aren't annoying because they are seen as "features and not bugs". For me, it is a major turnoff to the point of not returning.

Since you bring up NFL games I suppose I will discuss. I don't watch the NFL. For college games, the commercials are becoming a hinderance in enjoyment. Who needs all of those breaks in the action. For the NBA, I hated the flopping to the point that I left that as well. Some college games get pretty bad with the poor officiating and review process. It gets a bit annoying when they review every clock stoppage or out of bounds play in the last two minutes.
the flopping is maddening in international soccer. It is much worse than MLS. Women's soccer does not have the same flopping and I think the product benefits from it. My feature/bug comment was aimed at 0-0 games, not at flopping.

Though I'd argue flopping is worse in the NBA and you can find flops so blatant in most NBA games that they would draw a yellow card in soccer.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » February 20th, 2024, 3:22 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 3:05 pm
Yossarian wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
I was exaggerating (it was probably 4 or 5 innings), but I had a college game in mind, not an MLB game. We went to a lot of Oregon baseball games when I was in school.
It was beyond exaggeration, it was ignorant. For someone with sports knowledge, they know that a no-hitter is a big deal. You have less than a 0.2% chance of seeing one pitcher complete a no-hitter in an MLB game. In the English Premier leagues, you have about a 7% chance of seeing a 0-0 tie. Your comparison was flawed, and you knew it.

My point in bringing up flopping is that it gets atrocious in the last 20-30 minutes of a 0-0 tie (or any tie) because the road team wants to secure the point of a road tie. In the 0-0 game I attended, the road team flopped all over the place for 30 minutes and ruined the whole experience. For the 1-0 RSL win, the flopping was less intense by the home team, but the presence of a goal scored and the ensuing celebration wasn't enough to capture my fanhood.

I'm glad you both get to enjoy watching something you like. My dislike of soccer has nothing to do with ignorance of the game or league. I have never liked the blatant flopping in soccer. It is annoying to me. That is the same reason I dumped the NBA long ago.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 20th, 2024, 3:23 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 3:11 pm
NVAggie wrote:

the flopping is maddening in international soccer. It is much worse than MLS. Women's soccer does not have the same flopping and I think the product benefits from it. My feature/bug comment was aimed at 0-0 games, not at flopping.

Though I'd argue flopping is worse in the NBA and you can find flops so blatant in most NBA games that they would draw a yellow card in soccer.
There is no flopping in basketball

Last edited by Yossarian on February 20th, 2024, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eutaw St. Aggie

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » February 20th, 2024, 4:20 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 3:23 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 3:11 pm
NVAggie wrote:

There is no flipping in basketball

NONE

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » February 20th, 2024, 4:22 pm

Crazy that the face of the league for many years, and potential "GOAT" has so many blatant and comical flops.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic