Tuesday night at the Pit

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
MetsJetsAggies

Tuesday night at the Pit

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 14th, 2024, 11:50 pm

If the scenario was reversed and UNM was coming into the Spectrum ranked top 15, 8:30pm start on CBSSN, I’d say we were primed to beat them by 15+ points

Which is why I have a bad feeling this will be a spot where we run into a buzz saw in a raucous Pit. I don’t think UNM is necessarily better than us, but I would be shocked if we win this game and wouldn’t be surprised to see us lose by double digits. Hope I’m wrong though, this team and Sprinkle probably deserves the benefit of the doubt
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
MrBiggle

scotlandog

Tuesday night at the Pit

Post by scotlandog » January 15th, 2024, 12:18 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:If the scenario was reversed and UNM was coming into the Spectrum ranked top 15, 8:30pm start on CBSSN, I’d say we were primed to beat them by 15+ points

Which is why I have a bad feeling this will be a spot where we run into a buzz saw in a raucous Pit. I don’t think UNM is necessarily better than us, but I would be shocked if we win this game and wouldn’t be surprised to see us lose by double digits. Hope I’m wrong though, this team and Sprinkle probably deserves the benefit of the doubt
I think this team is hard to create major separation from for opposing teams. Opponents get runs and hit some big 3’s but we just keep coming, shooting 50%-60% from 2. Our defense makes great adjustments at half (credit to coach and staff) and we start making ground. I don’t know if we win but I think we’ll be in it at the end and have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AggieIceCream05

Re: Tuesday night at the Pit

Post by AggieIceCream05 » January 15th, 2024, 12:46 am

I thought we would lose to CSU, and we found a way. Clearly the Pitt is a beast of an environment, but the guys have heard how loud it gets in the Spectrum, so they should be prepared. NM is a wild card to me. They may have a really good game or they may be just okay. I could see us winning by double digits or losing by double digits.

This is what I do know: Danny Sprinkle’s second half adjustments have been great all season long. If we keep this game close in the first half, we will win!

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 15th, 2024, 12:52 am

Going to be a tough game. I am kinda glad we came out flat against UNLV and still found a way to win. Hopefully we got that out of our system.

EngineeringAggie

Post by EngineeringAggie » January 15th, 2024, 4:24 am

Do the words “I Believe” mean nothing nowadays? Why is it that before every game we have to read somebody saying this may be the game we lose because of this or that?

There ain’t no way we lose this game!
These users thanked the author EngineeringAggie for the post:
Bigger_Blue_Aggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 15th, 2024, 5:54 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 14th, 2024, 11:50 pm
If the scenario was reversed and UNM was coming into the Spectrum ranked top 15, 8:30pm start on CBSSN, I’d say we were primed to beat them by 15+ points

I see what you did there......
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 15th, 2024, 6:07 am

AggieIceCream05 wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 12:46 am
I thought we would lose to CSU, and we found a way. Clearly the Pitt is a beast of an environment, but the guys have heard how loud it gets in the Spectrum, so they should be prepared. NM is a wild card to me. They may have a really good game or they may be just okay. I could see us winning by double digits or losing by double digits.

This is what I do know: Danny Sprinkle’s second half adjustments have been great all season long. If we keep this game close in the first half, we will win!
The coaching staff that Coach Sprinkle has been invaluable to the success of the team this season. Each member has a level of expertise that has been masterfully executed so far.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 15th, 2024, 6:08 am

They just destroyed SDSU so they are capable of that. I don’t see them destroying two top 25 this close together. I expect a dog fight, but we need to find a way to get under House’s skin. He is a mental midget that will fold like a cheap tent if we can frustrate him.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 7):
aggies22MrBiggleAggiefan33MetsJetsAggiestrevordudeAggieFBObsessionAggie in Boise

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 15th, 2024, 6:18 am

dyedblue wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 6:08 am
They just destroyed SDSU so they are capable of that. I don’t see them destroying two top 25 this close together. I expect a dog fight, but we need to find a way to get under House’s skin. He is a mental midget that will fold like a cheap tent if we can frustrate him.
I'm going to steal "mental midget". I find that pretty clever my Aggie brother!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 15th, 2024, 6:33 am

We are in a good conference where road wins are always tough. I don’t expect to win, but we will compete and have a chance.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 15th, 2024, 7:42 am

Road games are going to be tough in this conference as we saw at UNLV. We've been pretty fortunate to be 4-0 thus far in Mountain West play. I guess I am expecting a good game, but I'm coming in emotionally with an even keeled expectation. Do I think Utah State's capable of beating New Mexico in the Pit? Yes, but I can see them losing too. Basically I'll be ecstatic if they win, but if they lose I won't be too dissatisfied understanding the venue where they're playing. With the exception of Fresno State and Air Force, I expect pretty much every game to be a dogfight especially on the road.

I'm close to the point that as long as Utah State handles home court from this point on then we should be in the tournament as an at-large bid. Just can't lose stupid games from this point on, and it'll especially help if we get some really good road wins.
These users thanked the author Aggiealum13 for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 15th, 2024, 9:44 am

We are going to lose a few more games this year. The conference is tough and road wins are hard to come by. It's OK. A loss to NM in the Pit would not be anything to be ashamed of. That said, this team keeps impressing me with their ability to find ways to win.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 3):
slcaggcdaAgAggieFBObsession

Formerly TulsAGGIE

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 15th, 2024, 10:01 am

Aggiealum13 wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 7:42 am
Road games are going to be tough in this conference as we saw at UNLV. We've been pretty fortunate to be 4-0 thus far in Mountain West play. I guess I am expecting a good game, but I'm coming in emotionally with an even keeled expectation. Do I think Utah State's capable of beating New Mexico in the Pit? Yes, but I can see them losing too. Basically I'll be ecstatic if they win, but if they lose I won't be too dissatisfied understanding the venue where they're playing. With the exception of Fresno State and Air Force, I expect pretty much every game to be a dogfight especially on the road.

I'm close to the point that as long as Utah State handles home court from this point on then we should be in the tournament as an at-large bid. Just can't lose stupid games from this point on, and it'll especially help if we get some really good road wins.
If do what you are saying and win 2 tough road games and you are probably close to a 5 seed

shoresy

Post by shoresy » January 15th, 2024, 10:55 am

IMO this will be by far our toughest game yet, and possibly our toughest for the rest of the year. After watching New Mexico several times the past few weeks, they very well might be the best team in the league.

That said, I'm expecting an absolute dogfight.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 3):
MetsJetsAggiesAggieFBObsessionflying_scotsman2.0

bpd

Post by bpd » January 15th, 2024, 11:18 am

Facts

- second road game

- the Pit is ridiculous to play in

- despite what many people on this board think, New Mexico is really good

-I believe we went to Logan on Saturday, which is probably making travel difficult today.

I expect a loss

Maybe we get house into foul trouble and we have a chance
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 2):
MetsJetsAggiesAggieFBObsession

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 15th, 2024, 11:58 am

I just looked at the ticket website for UNM and there are a TON of tickets left for this game. Just panning around the map it looks like maybe half of the arena is still available. I'm sure they'll sell more but I don't think they'll be selling the Pit out for this one like they did for SDSU.

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » January 15th, 2024, 12:00 pm

bpd wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 11:18 am
Facts

- second road game

-I believe we went to Logan on Saturday, which is probably making travel difficult today.

I expect a loss

Second road game? What do you mean?

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » January 15th, 2024, 12:11 pm

shoresy wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 10:55 am
IMO this will be by far our toughest game yet, and possibly our toughest for the rest of the year. After watching New Mexico several times the past few weeks, they very well might be the best team in the league.

That said, I'm expecting an absolute dogfight.
Pit is always a difficult place to play and win. Lobos are one of the more high variance teams in the league. When they play their best they may be the best team in the conference but they haven’t done it consistently

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » January 15th, 2024, 12:16 pm

bigblue32 wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 12:00 pm
bpd wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 11:18 am
Facts

- second road game

I expect a loss

Second road game? What do you mean?
I'm sure he's referring to this as being a back-to-back road game as we played at UNLV on Saturday.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 15th, 2024, 12:24 pm

We're 5 pt dogs. An Aggie win should be considered a minor upset.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

ToastedFlakes52

Post by ToastedFlakes52 » January 15th, 2024, 12:37 pm

It's certainly not impossible, but I would be surprised with a win. New Mexico is a very high variance team though, so you never know. Win this game, and we are firmly in the early drivers seat for the conference title, road wins are gonna be tough to come by, but whoever winds up winning the regular season title will claim a few of em.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 15th, 2024, 12:41 pm

I had the UNLV win and the home games to get to 6-5 through the 11 game stretch. The road games are going to be tough.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 15th, 2024, 12:47 pm

ToastedFlakes52 wrote:It's certainly not impossible, but I would be surprised with a win. New Mexico is a very high variance team though, so you never know. Win this game, and we are firmly in the early drivers seat for the conference title, road wins are gonna be tough to come by, but whoever winds up winning the regular season title will claim a few of em.
This^^ NM is such a hot and cold team. They are hot at home and cold on the road. Completely different team at home. What I do know is that this Aggie team finds a way to win so I wouldn’t be surprised if we pull the upset. If we do, we are in the conference drivers seat.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 15th, 2024, 12:49 pm

I like our chances a lot.

New Mexico is coming off their Super Bowl last Saturday. They don’t really respect Utah state. Haven’t really since we joined the league. We matchup very well. I’d argue their last game was a bit more of an outlier. SDSU played really bad.

I think we’re more likely to see the team that Lost to UNLV than the one who throttled SDSU.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
aggies22

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 15th, 2024, 12:52 pm

IF we lose we will not be ranked number one at the end of this month.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » January 15th, 2024, 12:52 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 12:49 pm
I think we’re more likely to see the team that Lost to UNLV than the one who throttled SDSU.
I'd argue that UNLV can beat SDSU on any given night, home or away. I'd also argue that SDSU had a bad night, which is easy when you're playing in the Pit. It wouldn't surprise me at all if UNLV stirs the pot quite a bit in the MWC, meaning they pull off some "upsets". I wouldn't want to play them in the conference tournament. They are talented. In some ways they're more talented than New Mexico.

The poster that said that New Mexico plays much better at home is absolutely correct. They are scary good in the Pit. On the road, not so much.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 15th, 2024, 1:00 pm

IMO, the play of Sahko, Johnson, and Templin (mostly Johnson) will be the X factor in this game. We need Johnson to stay out of foul trouble by playing good smart defense.

GUS

Post by GUS » January 15th, 2024, 1:09 pm

Looks like the line has moved from -5 to -4.5. Some bettors must like the Aggies.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » January 15th, 2024, 1:10 pm

Johnson plays defense??

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 15th, 2024, 1:24 pm

breadysmith wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 1:10 pm
Johnson plays defense??

He is a work in progress. He constantly leaves his feet at the wrong times and he struggles to stay in front of his man but he is improving. He is getting better at rebounding, too.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post (total 2):
cdaAgjackattack

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 15th, 2024, 1:29 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
breadysmith wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 1:10 pm
Johnson plays defense??

He is a work in progress. He constantly leaves his feet at the wrong times and he struggles to stay in front of his man but he is improving. He is getting better at rebounding, too.
He’s had some surprisingly good moments the last couple games with blocks, rebounds, and steals. He still struggles with his post defense but I have faith that will improve as you said.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
Aggie in Boise

cval

Post by cval » January 15th, 2024, 2:21 pm

In the second half of the CSU game he always seemed to be waiting in the paint for the guy who had gotten past his defender on the perimeter.

Looked like a halftime adjustment by Sprinkle, but he executed it perfectly.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » January 15th, 2024, 2:23 pm

the pit is raucous. i love the energy lobo fans bring. makes watching games like this such a rush.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 15th, 2024, 4:42 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 12:49 pm
I like our chances a lot.

New Mexico is coming off their Super Bowl last Saturday. They don’t really respect Utah state. Haven’t really since we joined the league. We matchup very well. I’d argue their last game was a bit more of an outlier. SDSU played really bad.

We have the guard line that can play with Mashburn Jr., House, Jermarl Baker. I don't feel like New Mexico has anybody that can match up with Great Osobor.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 15th, 2024, 4:50 pm

I feel like Falslev and Uduje are going to be big factors in this one.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggieFBObsession

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic