Wild Bill Induction

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
tinplater

Wild Bill Induction

Post by tinplater » January 21st, 2024, 6:25 am

Is there any video of the half time event honoring Wild Bill?

Full

Re: Wild Bill Induction

Post by Full » January 21st, 2024, 1:00 pm

There is this.

These users thanked the author Full for the post (total 2):
USU78FloridaAggie13

signalwar

Post by signalwar » January 21st, 2024, 6:18 pm

Is this a joke?
Bill deserves appreciation, but a hurd HOF? Weird? Dumb? Oh well.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » January 21st, 2024, 6:50 pm

signalwar wrote:
January 21st, 2024, 6:18 pm
Is this a joke?
I guess there’s always going to be negative people out there… I honestly thought this was, fun, creative, and entertaining! Props to the students for trying to do something new and creative!
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post (total 9):
FloridaAggie13EngineeringAggieOKAggieAggiePTaggies22AV8AGisrredsstrasserAggieiester

gwaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by gwaggie » January 21st, 2024, 7:19 pm

signalwar wrote:Is this a joke?
What would you recommend instead?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 21st, 2024, 7:42 pm

signalwar wrote:
Is this a joke?
I love it, gives future students something to strive for. If it creates extra creativity then it is for sure welcomed. Anything to give some time Xtra home court advantage is welcomed.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
AggiePTAV8AG

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » January 21st, 2024, 8:14 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
January 21st, 2024, 6:50 pm
signalwar wrote:
Is this a joke?
I guess there’s always going to be negative people out there… I honestly thought this was, fun, creative, and entertaining! Props to the students for trying to do something new and creative!
I agree. I'm glad they are doing it. I hope they honor few more from years past but Wild Bill first was a good call.

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » January 21st, 2024, 9:35 pm

I would nominate Derick Earle. I've never met someone so dedicated to Aggie Sports as him. After he had "retired" from the front row we'd always try to save him a spot and invite him down. Every time we invited him down he would always make sure that everyone around us was ok with it. He had a voice that could carry clear across the court and seemed to frequently get the opposing team distracted or smirking at some of his jokes. I could go on telling stories about him, but ultimately his dedication to all Aggie sports I think would make him a good nominee. We loved having him down on the front row with us as well.

https://www.fox13now.com/2019/12/29/thi ... died-at-35
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post (total 7):
ProvoAggieAV8AGtreesap32isrredtrevordudeMerrillForTheLeadFloridaAggie13

EngineeringAggie

Post by EngineeringAggie » January 21st, 2024, 9:58 pm

I think this is an awesome idea, but let’s not get too overboard with this. One or two nominees a year. Please do not do one every home game.
These users thanked the author EngineeringAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22AV8AG

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » January 21st, 2024, 10:06 pm

EngineeringAggie wrote:
January 21st, 2024, 9:58 pm
I think this is an awesome idea, but let’s not get too overboard with this. One or two nominees a year. Please do not do one every home game.
I think I read somewhere that they are only planning on doing one a year and were going to ask for nominations for next year to give the next hurd committee something to go off of.
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
EngineeringAggie

shoresy

Post by shoresy » January 21st, 2024, 11:16 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
EngineeringAggie wrote:
I think I read somewhere that they are only planning on doing one a year and were going to ask for nominations for next year to give the next hurd committee something to go off of.
Agreed with EA. I love the idea, but it needs to be a very rare and special thing. One nomination per year seems fine, though I wouldn’t hate if it were even less than that.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 4):
aggies22EngineeringAggieAV8AGtrevordude

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 22nd, 2024, 5:54 am

Dkdavis wrote:
January 21st, 2024, 6:50 pm
signalwar wrote:
Is this a joke?
Very outside the box thinking. I would be surprised if there is another student section doing this.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 22nd, 2024, 5:57 am

shoresy wrote:
January 21st, 2024, 11:16 pm
Dkdavis wrote:
EngineeringAggie wrote:
Agreed with EA. I love the idea, but it needs to be a very rare and special thing. One nomination per year seems fine, though I wouldn’t hate if it were even less than that.
I agree with this. If a short list for the next nominee is being created, Fafner a.k.a Matt Sonnenberg needs to be at the top of the list. Hipsterdoofus shouldn't be far behind as well.
Last edited by aggies22 on January 22nd, 2024, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
treesap32

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » January 22nd, 2024, 6:18 am

My concern with it is that it will soon turn into an award for Hurd Committee members and Presidents to receive soon after they graduate. I appreciate their work, I was on the committee my freshman year back when it was more of a less formal group, but that should not automatically qualify you for the HOF. I would hope they would need to demonstrate qualifications other than being a committee member or constantly being on TV when they show fan shots simply because they're front row.
These users thanked the author FromLItoLogan for the post (total 5):
EngineeringAggieGidbobaggies22Foolonthehillsignalwar

gwaggie

Post by gwaggie » January 22nd, 2024, 6:41 am

FromLItoLogan wrote:My concern with it is that it will soon turn into an award for Hurd Committee members and Presidents to receive soon after they graduate. I appreciate their work, I was on the committee my freshman year back when it was more of a less formal group, but that should not automatically qualify you for the HOF. I would hope they would need to demonstrate other qualifications other than being a committee member or constantly being on TV when they show fan shots simply because they're front row.
At the end of the day it’ll be who the current committee decides each year but as we write it into the charter of the Hurd director we’ll try to prevent some of that. The biggest way to prevent that though will be submitting names/stories/pictures of people you think are deserving from the past when we start to open that up after basketball season ends. If no one submits anything then the committee will be forced to pick more recent Hurd members that they know. It’ll be up to members of each generation to nominate who they believe should receive the awards and provide enough information and reason for a committee to agree.

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » January 22nd, 2024, 7:43 am

If those that set off the water bomb are awarded will we finally learn their identities?
These users thanked the author tysteve20 for the post:
aggies22

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » January 22nd, 2024, 7:45 am

I nominate the Aggie Pope. Not necessarily a Hurd member but still...
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post (total 5):
HootFromLItoLoganJacobBybAGinNEIowatrevordude

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 22nd, 2024, 9:13 am

tysteve20 wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 7:43 am
If those that set off the water bomb are awarded will we finally learn their identities?
It will have to be posthumously, that dude (Jeff Leishman) has passed away. BUT this is a great idea!! If the late great Jerry Tarkanian thought it was ingenious and funny, the water bomb prankster should get his due. He was the OG!! Maybe present it to his kids?
Last edited by aggies22 on January 22nd, 2024, 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
sstrassertrevordude

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 22nd, 2024, 9:18 am

Fafner (Matt Sonnenberg) should be the next one inducted. He led the effort in the 2000's of coordinating the Chaos. One of the original two founders of "The Refraction" newsletter. Him and his crew brought to pass the "I Believe That We Will Win" chant that has now achieved GLOBAL popularity, as well as several other chants including "Winning Team, Losing Team". He was a friend to all, and was as inclusive as it comes, inviting all Aggie fans to join in on the creativity and creating an amazing atmosphere in the Spectrum. He also was one of the founding members of the Front Row Show podcast, one of, if not the greatest Aggie Podcast of all time. I believe him and his crew coined the phrase "Spectrum on Wheels" as well, leading an unfunded grass roots effort to get a squad that would travel to away games and represent.

Matt is a humble guy and would never toot his own horn, but believe me when I tell you that he's been a MAJOR cog in making the Spectrum what it is today. Before there was Wild Bill there was Fafner coordinating the chaos.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 18):
aggies22isrredRoy McAvoyEngineeringAggieaggieguy13ProvoAggieAggie84025ToastedFlakes52ereksonaggie95BiocatAg and 8 more users

shoresy

Post by shoresy » January 22nd, 2024, 9:38 am

FromLItoLogan wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 6:18 am
My concern with it is that it will soon turn into an award for Hurd Committee members and Presidents to receive soon after they graduate. I appreciate their work, I was on the committee my freshman year back when it was more of a less formal group, but that should not automatically qualify you for the HOF. I would hope they would need to demonstrate qualifications other than being a committee member or constantly being on TV when they show fan shots simply because they're front row.
BINGO.

Also, I second Derick Earle. Never in my life have I met a more dedicated Aggie. That dude cared more about Utah State than probably anybody on earth.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
trevordude

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » January 22nd, 2024, 12:58 pm

If fan/student inductions are now a thing, I agree 100% with Matt Sonnenberg and Kraig Williams. Wild Bill got the spotlight in those years - deservedly so, but Matt, Kraig and their crew did more for gameday atmosphere than anyone in the last 20 years, and it's not even close.

I would also put Tyler Olsen on the short list since he started the gameday shirt phenomenon and brought unity/blue color back to The Spectrum. This paved the way for the amazing atmosphere continued by other folks mentioned here.
These users thanked the author thrashsoundly for the post (total 5):
TheRealTOaggies22treesap32bigblue32signalwar

TheRealTO

Post by TheRealTO » January 22nd, 2024, 1:00 pm

treesap32 wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 9:18 am
Fafner (Matt Sonnenberg) should be the next one inducted. He led the effort in the 2000's of coordinating the Chaos. One of the original two founders of "The Refraction" newsletter. Him and his crew brought to pass the "I Believe That We Will Win" chant that has now achieved GLOBAL popularity, as well as several other chants including "Winning Team, Losing Team". He was a friend to all, and was as inclusive as it comes, inviting all Aggie fans to join in on the creativity and creating an amazing atmosphere in the Spectrum. He also was one of the founding members of the Front Row Show podcast, one of, if not the greatest Aggie Podcast of all time. I believe him and his crew coined the phrase "Spectrum on Wheels" as well, leading an unfunded grass roots effort to get a squad that would travel to away games and represent.

Matt is a humble guy and would never toot his own horn, but believe me when I tell you that he's been a MAJOR cog in making the Spectrum what it is today. Before there was Wild Bill there was Fafner coordinating the chaos.
I second this. Faf was right up there with Bill on making the Spectrum what it was in the mid-2000s and was key in integrating/popularizing so many things still used today!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 22nd, 2024, 3:25 pm

thrashsoundly wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 12:58 pm
If fan/student inductions are now a thing, I agree 100% with Matt Sonnenberg and Kraig Williams. Wild Bill got the spotlight in those years - deservedly so, but Matt, Kraig and their crew did more for gameday atmosphere than anyone in the last 20 years, and it's not even close.

I would also put Tyler Olsen on the short list since he started the gameday shirt phenomenon and brought unity/blue color back to The Spectrum. This paved the way for the amazing atmosphere continued by other folks mentioned here.
Good call on Tyler Olsen. Dude did a tremendous job.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » January 22nd, 2024, 4:05 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
January 21st, 2024, 9:35 pm
I would nominate Derick Earle. I've never met someone so dedicated to Aggie Sports as him. After he had "retired" from the front row we'd always try to save him a spot and invite him down. Every time we invited him down he would always make sure that everyone around us was ok with it. He had a voice that could carry clear across the court and seemed to frequently get the opposing team distracted or smirking at some of his jokes. I could go on telling stories about him, but ultimately his dedication to all Aggie sports I think would make him a good nominee. We loved having him down on the front row with us as well.

https://www.fox13now.com/2019/12/29/thi ... died-at-35
Agreed on Derick. Friendly to all, he didn't need to know your name. Always there
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
aggies22

Not sent from Tapatalk

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » January 22nd, 2024, 4:29 pm

100% Faf. His fingerprints are all over what we know modernly as the Hurd.

Worry about the next nomination after Faf is inducted.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post (total 3):
bigblue32aggies22treesap32

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 22nd, 2024, 5:44 pm

I am very happy for Bill. I believe there was a better way to permanently honor Bill.

I predict this will turn into a Hurd committee circle of patting themselves on the back.

Otherwise, after Bill even after Fafner, I see a path where it gets unnecessarily ugly.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
signalwar

gwaggie

Post by gwaggie » January 22nd, 2024, 5:46 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:I am very happy for Bill. I believe there was a better way to permanently honor Bill.

I predict this will turn into a Hurd committee circle of patting themselves on the back.

Otherwise, after Bill even after Fafner, I see a path where it gets unnecessarily ugly.
I would love to hear your suggestion of a better way for students to permanently honor Bill.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 22nd, 2024, 5:58 pm

gwaggie wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 5:46 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:I am very happy for Bill. I believe there was a better way to permanently honor Bill.

I would love to hear your suggestion of a better way for students to permanently honor Bill.
I just think we could have had a “fan” or other something similar in the existing Aggie athletics hall of fame.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 22nd, 2024, 6:09 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 5:44 pm
I am very happy for Bill. I believe there was a better way to permanently honor Bill.

To be recognized, I think the student(s) should have accomplished something creative and new. While the dudes that man the front row now, do a good job of getting the student section riled up and riding the a$$ of the opposing team, no one is doing anything revolutionary. I would hope that those in charge recognize that and don't just start handing out an award every year just because they feel they must.

EngineeringAggie

Post by EngineeringAggie » January 22nd, 2024, 6:16 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 6:09 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 5:44 pm

To be recognized, I think the student(s) should have accomplished something creative and new. While the dudes that man the front row now, do a good job of getting the student section riled up and riding the a$$ of the opposing team, no one is doing anything revolutionary. I would hope that those in charge recognize that and don't just start handing out an award every year just because they feel they must.
At first I was thinking it should be done once a year max, but now I wonder if it should be done about as often as players’ jerseys are hung.
These users thanked the author EngineeringAggie for the post (total 4):
signalwaraggies22BustaMcNuttGidbob

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » January 22nd, 2024, 6:18 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 23rd, 2024, 8:58 am

If everyone is special then no one is special.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » January 23rd, 2024, 10:01 am

To me it sounds like there is resound support for Fafner. I would throw in Derick too as I’ve already mentioned.

1) Bill
2) Fafner
3) Derick

Not sure who else you would nominate after this… I would think that you keep the bar this high for future candidates as well. I don’t think a single Hurd President in the last 5-6 years would qualify and I think some of them have done a great job. If this Hurd Hall of Fame dies off after a few years then I think that’s totally fine.
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
aggies22

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » January 23rd, 2024, 10:18 am

maybe exclude Hurd leadership until have been out of school for 10 years.

Is there a way to include the Pope, and Nightrunner? -but after Water Bomb guys, Tyler O, Fafner and Derick.
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post (total 2):
Dkdavisaggies22

foreveranaggie

Post by foreveranaggie » January 23rd, 2024, 10:44 am

treesap32 wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 3:25 pm
thrashsoundly wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 12:58 pm

Good call on Tyler Olsen. Dude did a tremendous job.
I would agree with this as well. Tyler Olsen was someone who made the things Matt and Kraig possible. The gameday shirt/wearing blue was huge in the advancement of the atmosphere. Him standing on his seat right under the basket trying to get all of the students behind the basket to do the free throw distractions as well comes to mind. Right guy at the right time to setup the next 10 years and help make what Bill, Matt, Kraig, etc. easier.
These users thanked the author foreveranaggie for the post (total 2):
treesap32aggies22

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic