Larry Eustacy

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
spud

Larry Eustacy

Post by spud » January 27th, 2024, 9:11 pm

Anyone else enjoy seeing the scum bag be part of the losing team?

GameFAQSAggie

Re: Larry Eustacy

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 27th, 2024, 9:14 pm

It's a good thing Jim Laub didn't have the friendship with him that he had with Gary causing him to want to be given a second stint. Or maybe Jim just learned his lesson that it's best staying out of hiring decisions and/or we need as to not let Jim get involved again.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 27th, 2024, 9:26 pm

Man, Boise wants so bad to beat us that they keep hiring our old coaches... sad...
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 7):
bigblue32MrBiggleaggies22Aggie in BoiseAggieArmyReal Life Aggiehipsterdoofus21

SLB

Post by SLB » January 27th, 2024, 9:41 pm

Duryea was a good hire for them. Leon Rice had Boise State as an over .500 team then Duryea made them towards the top of the conference ever since. Duryea is a terrible Head Coach, but he has been a very good assistant coach.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 2):
utaggiesFull

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » January 27th, 2024, 9:44 pm

Eustachy has certain had his problems, but aside from being successful in Logan, he seemed to genuinely like it here. UNLV offered to more than double his salary while he was at USU and he turned it down. And he always had nothing but good things to say about USU when I heard him talk about the subject. And I believe he is the only coach in NCAA history to go to the NCAA tournament with four different schools (and he came within one game of making it five when he was at Idaho). I'll still wish him the best any time he is not coaching against USU.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post (total 6):
SLBaggies22AggieArmyutaggiesnewtonianblueReal Life Aggie

SLB

Post by SLB » January 27th, 2024, 9:50 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2024, 9:44 pm
Eustachy has certain had his problems, but aside from being successful in Logan, he seemed to genuinely like it here. UNLV offered to more than double his salary while he was at USU and he turned it down. And he always had nothing but good things to say about USU when I heard him talk about the subject. And I believe he is the only coach in NCAA history to go to the NCAA tournament with four different schools (and he came within one game of making it five when he was at Idaho). I'll still wish him the best any time he is not coaching against USU.
I have to imagine that he gets another head coaching gig. Fresno State should hire him.
His W-L record is 523-330 which is impressive, and only 97 wins away from Stew's number of wins.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » January 27th, 2024, 9:55 pm

He has got to be an old dude.

Where only sage brush grows

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 27th, 2024, 10:06 pm

I appreciate Larry for his bravery. All 68 year olds should have a man bun.

These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
MrBiggleStanfordAggie

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

SLB

Post by SLB » January 27th, 2024, 10:12 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
January 27th, 2024, 9:55 pm
He has got to be an old dude.
68 years old

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » January 28th, 2024, 8:08 am

I like the guy -and don't get the scum bag designation. I know he was tough on players and had the deal with the Mizzou sorority while coaching out this way- but still, as scumbag?
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post:
utaggies

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 28th, 2024, 8:44 am

SLB wrote:
January 27th, 2024, 9:41 pm
Duryea was a good hire for them. Leon Rice had Boise State as an over .500 team then Duryea made them towards the top of the conference ever since. Duryea is a terrible Head Coach, but he has been a very good assistant coach.
It's not even that Duryea is a very good assistant coach. Duryea adds his value to a program thanks to his ability to RECRUIT.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
utaggiesgomretat

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 28th, 2024, 8:47 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:
January 28th, 2024, 8:08 am
I like the guy -and don't get the scum bag designation. I know he was tough on players and had the deal with the Mizzou sorority while coaching out this way- but still, as scumbag?
I have no problem with Larry. Sure he was tough, BUT his former players love that dude. He brought in some VERY good players and turned Utah State hoops around after the rough Kohn years. He set the stage for Stew to do his thing.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 7):
bigblue32AggieArmyutaggiesnewtonianblueAGinNEIowaReal Life Aggiehipsterdoofus21

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 28th, 2024, 8:51 am

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Larry E. He was the catalyst for bringing Aggie Basketball out of the depths of mediocrity of the Kohn Smith years.

Sure the dude has had some demons and made some mistakes, but I'll always appreciate Larry for what he did at Utah State and I don't think he is a scumbag at all.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 6):
aggies22utaggiesAGinNEIowavegasaggieReal Life Aggiehipsterdoofus21

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 28th, 2024, 9:04 am

SLB wrote:
He’s a great recruiter. I’ll give him that.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
aggies22

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » January 28th, 2024, 9:09 am

Being friends with Larry’s former wife, I can say that I like what he contributed to USU from a basketball standpoint.

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » January 28th, 2024, 10:07 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2024, 9:14 pm
It's a good thing Jim Laub didn't have the friendship with him that he had with Gary causing him to want to be given a second stint. Or maybe Jim just learned his lesson that it's best staying out of hiring decisions and/or we need as to not let Jim get involved again.
Very silly comment...Maybe you should give Laub credit for all the good things he has done. But some Aggie fans can't quite put their arms around the importance of strong alumni. But I shouldn't blame people who have zero knowledge of what alumni like Laub have done for the University as a whole. That makes me just as silly....sorry everyone. :headscratch:

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 28th, 2024, 10:46 am

Agezzz wrote:
January 28th, 2024, 10:07 am
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2024, 9:14 pm
Very silly comment...Maybe you should give Laub credit for all the good things he has done. But some Aggie fans can't quite put their arms around the importance of strong alumni. But I shouldn't blame people who have zero knowledge of what alumni like Laub have done for the University as a whole. That makes me just as silly....sorry everyone. :headscratch:
I'm fully aware of what Jim Laub has done. I will even tell guys I work with how great it it is that he donates, and people from other electric companies how great CVE is.

But it is fact that it was a disaster we did a second stint of Gary and it is fact that Jim Laub demanded he was rehired and it is at least highly probable that it would be a disaster to do a second Larry E. stint.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 28th, 2024, 11:11 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2024, 10:06 pm
I appreciate Larry for his bravery. All 68 year olds should have a man bun.

No. Just no. Stop it.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Donman

Post by Donman » January 28th, 2024, 12:09 pm

Utah State basketball was a dumpster fire before Larry came.

We went five years without even winning a game in the Big West Tournament. We had no postseason.

His first year we won the Big West Regular season and he built a very solid program.

Stew Morrill may not come without Larry getting us back to a good program.

So why he may have his personal failings, Utah State fans should be grateful for what did for Aggie athletics.
These users thanked the author Donman for the post (total 6):
3rdGenAggienewtonianbluetreesap32FloridaAggie13vegasaggiehipsterdoofus21

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » January 28th, 2024, 1:31 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 28th, 2024, 8:44 am
SLB wrote:
It's not even that Duryea is a very good assistant coach. Duryea adds his value to a program thanks to his ability to RECRUIT.
I always felt like Duryea was the perfect assistant for Stew because he could be the "good cop" to Stew's "bad cop." I worry we would have had players quitting the team after getting cussed out by Stew every day if they didn't have a "good cop" on staff. I've sometimes wondered if part of the reason Duryea failed as a head coach was because he was simply too nice of a guy and too used to being the "good cop" on the coaching staff. It seemed like his teams would take bad shots and play lazy defense that Stew never would have tolerated. Just speculating out loud. Regardless, given that recruiting is probably the single most important job of an assistant coach, recruiting alone would make him a good assistant in my book.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22hipsterdoofus21

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » January 28th, 2024, 2:37 pm

But it is fact that it was a disaster we did a second stint of Gary and it is fact that Jim Laub demanded he was rehired

That is not factual. You are living with hearsay. Not a fact that Laub demanded he be rehired....no demand existed! He wanted him hired, just like almost every person on this board wanted him hired. Simply did not work out.

The truth will never be a part of the story. You can trust me on this....or choose to believe a falsehood. Do yourself a favor and put it to bed.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » January 28th, 2024, 2:40 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
I always felt like Duryea was the perfect assistant for Stew because he could be the "good cop" to Stew's "bad cop." I worry we would have had players quitting the team after getting cussed out by Stew every day if they didn't have a "good cop" on staff. I've sometimes wondered if part of the reason Duryea failed as a head coach was because he was simply too nice of a guy and too used to being the "good cop" on the coaching staff. It seemed like his teams would take bad shots and play lazy defense that Stew never would have tolerated. Just speculating out loud. Regardless, given that recruiting is probably the single most important job of an assistant coach, recruiting alone would make him a good assistant in my book.
Tim was Bobby knights kohn smith. Great assistants that repaired the fragile players that needed some extra love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 28th, 2024, 2:51 pm

Agezzz wrote:
January 28th, 2024, 2:37 pm
He wanted him hired, just like almost every person on this board wanted him hired. Simply did not work out.
Not every person on the board wanted him hired. I thought after his debacle at Oregon State he was burned out and not the same coach that he was the first time. After he was hired, I thought that maybe he wasn't so burned out after all and was somewhat similar to his younger self or he wouldn't have wanted the job back. Then it turned out that I was right the first time, as were a number of other people.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » January 28th, 2024, 3:43 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2024, 2:51 pm
Agezzz wrote:
January 28th, 2024, 2:37 pm
He wanted him hired, just like almost every person on this board wanted him hired. Simply did not work out.
Not every person on the board wanted him hired. I thought after his debacle at Oregon State he was burned out and not the same coach that he was the first time. After he was hired, I thought that maybe he wasn't so burned out after all and was somewhat similar to his younger self or he wouldn't have wanted the job back. Then it turned out that I was right the first time, as were a number of other people.
I wasn't enthusiastic about GA 2.0 as a coach because I always thought he wasn't a very good coach in the first place. He failed at SUU, he failed at OSU, and he failed in his second stint at USU. He was mediocre at best at Wisconsin. And even in his first stint at USU, he had two poor seasons, one mediocre season, and one incredible season. When you have one good season in 10+ years of coaching, you start to think that maybe that season was the outlier. And people forget about some of his boneheaded play calls and coaching decisions that cost us games. We probably would have gone to a NY6 game in 2012 if he hadn't tried to get cute in the final drive against Wisconsin. I know that this is another one of my unpopular opinions. But it certainly isn't true to say that "every person on this board wanted him hired."

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » January 28th, 2024, 3:54 pm

Gary Andersen brought the Aggies football program back to life! Without Gary 1.0 who knows where our football program would be today.
These users thanked the author blueaggie for the post:
BustaMcNutt

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » January 28th, 2024, 4:30 pm

blueaggie wrote:
January 28th, 2024, 3:54 pm
Gary Andersen brought the Aggies football program back to life! Without Gary 1.0 who knows where our football program would be today.
Not to hijack the thread, but I have always aid that Jim Laub, Scott Barnes, and Stew Morrill brought our football program back to life. GA just happened to be in the right place at the right time to reap the benefits. I do think he did a good job of changing the culture of the program and convincing the players that they could be winners. But I think he gets way too much credit for turning the program around. If he is such a good coach, why did he fail literally at essentially every other head coaching position he had?

GUS

Post by GUS » January 28th, 2024, 4:36 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2024, 1:31 pm
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
Stew seemed like a pushover when you compare him to Eustacy. If you ever went to one of Eustacy's practices, you left feeling horible for the players. Eustacy would get in their faces with some pretty vile talk. I wouldn't ever want a son coached by Eustacy. There's a way to get after the players and make them better without being an A hole.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 28th, 2024, 4:39 pm

I remember hearing from someone that Eustachy had a weird strategy of passing just to pass it instead of taking wide open shots, which contributed to us giving BYU their only win in a season which some of their fans still actually consider something to brag about.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » January 28th, 2024, 5:41 pm

Donman wrote:
January 28th, 2024, 12:09 pm
Utah State basketball was a dumpster fire before Larry came.

We went five years without even winning a game in the Big West Tournament. We had no postseason.

His first year we won the Big West Regular season and he built a very solid program.

Stew Morrill may not come without Larry getting us back to a good program.

So why he may have his personal failings, Utah State fans should be grateful for what did for Aggie athletics.
An article used to exist at one point (I’m not skilled enough to find it on the internet at this point. Probably has more to do with search engines selling rather than searching…) in regards to the water bomb and history between USU-Kohn and UNLV-Tark. It mentions that some of the root of the conflict stemmed from Kohn questioning publicly why UNLV players had new cars while he was driving his own personal vehicle to California on recruiting trips. Point is, though their demeanors were polar opposites, I definitely wouldn’t put the blame/success between the Kohn-dome years and Larry’s follow up on coaching alone. Spending your time driving your own car to recruit doesn’t exactly demonstrate institutional support. Full disclosure: I was just a student in those years. No, I don’t know Kohn personally . Yes, my brother-in-law played for Larry and he was verbally vile. Yes, I, just like Kohn Smith, love to fly fish….
These users thanked the author WAaggieFan for the post:
USU78

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » January 28th, 2024, 8:45 pm

GUS wrote:
January 28th, 2024, 4:36 pm
Stew seemed like a pushover when you compare him to Eustacy. If you ever went to one of Eustacy's practices, you left feeling horible for the players. Eustacy would get in their faces with some pretty vile talk. I wouldn't ever want a son coached by Eustacy. There's a way to get after the players and make them better without being an A hole.
I don't know how many board oldies like me used to attend games during the Larry Eustachy days. I remember that when Eustachy started coaching, whenever there was a timeout or other disruption in play, they always used to move the folding chairs for the USU players/coaches into the middle of the Spectrum floor before the team huddled for the timeout. I remember thinking that was a little strange, especially since our opponents didn't move their chairs each timeout, but I didn't think about it too much. Years later I was told that it was because Eustachy was constantly screaming so many four letter words during every timeout that fans were complaining. The administration forced the team to move the chairs to the middle of the court before timeouts so that they the fans couldn't hear him as easily.

On a semi-related note, I knew a guy who attended one of Coach K's practices at Duke. He said it was jarring because Coach K was constantly chewing out his players using all kinds of colorful words, but he was totally calm and relaxed the entire time he did it. When a player would make a mistake, Coach K would calmly insult his player's basketball aptitude, intelligence, masculinity, and mother using a long list of curse words. And he would do it in the same tone of voice as a doctor reminding someone to take their medications: just methodical and kind of bored. He said it was rather humorous to listen to him say such nasty insults using the same tone of voice that a person would read a grocery list.
WAaggieFan wrote:
January 28th, 2024, 5:41 pm
An article used to exist at one point (I’m not skilled enough to find it on the internet at this point. Probably has more to do with search engines selling rather than searching…) in regards to the water bomb and history between USU-Kohn and UNLV-Tark. It mentions that some of the root of the conflict stemmed from Kohn questioning publicly why UNLV players had new cars while he was driving his own personal vehicle to California on recruiting trips. Point is, though their demeanors were polar opposites, I definitely wouldn’t put the blame/success between the Kohn-dome years and Larry’s follow up on coaching alone. Spending your time driving your own car to recruit doesn’t exactly demonstrate institutional support. Full disclosure: I was just a student in those years. No, I don’t know Kohn personally . Yes, my brother-in-law played for Larry and he was verbally vile. Yes, I, just like Kohn Smith, love to fly fish….
I remember reading the same thing and think that this was such a horrible missed opportunity in retrospect. Kohn Smith was supposedly Bob Knight's top recruiter. If the administration had only given him any kind of recruiting budget, who knows what might have been?

cval

Post by cval » January 28th, 2024, 8:55 pm

Time heals I guess. My memory is you guys are giving Kohn way too much credit. He was a poor coach, poor recruiter and poor communicator.

Sitting at the end of Knight’s bench keeping stats didn’t help him much. He may not have had much of a recruiting budget, but that was no excuse for how bad we were during those dark times.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
Full

gomretat

Post by gomretat » January 28th, 2024, 9:11 pm

aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
He recruited several kids on my son's team and so I saw him multiple times. Always a class act, very respectful and approachable. It did not work out at USU but the one thing that was always clear about Duryea was that he was true blue when it came to USU. I did not feel that way about some of the other coaches that showed up to recruit.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
aggies22

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 28th, 2024, 9:16 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2024, 9:09 am
Being friends with Larry’s former wife, I can say that I like what he contributed to USU from a basketball standpoint.
As a friend of the cousin of Larry's former wife's dog walker's little brother, I too can say that he did well as a coach at USU.

Aggies All the Way!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 28th, 2024, 9:21 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2024, 8:45 pm
I don't know how many board oldies like me used to attend games during the Larry Eustachy days. I remember that when Eustachy started coaching, whenever there was a timeout or other disruption in play, they always used to move the folding chairs for the USU players/coaches into the middle of the Spectrum floor before the team huddled for the timeout. I remember thinking that was a little strange, especially since our opponents didn't move their chairs each timeout, but I didn't think about it too much. Years later I was told that it was because Eustachy was constantly screaming so many four letter words during every timeout that fans were complaining. The administration forced the team to move the chairs to the middle of the court before timeouts so that they the fans couldn't hear him as easily.

On a semi-related note, I knew a guy who attended one of Coach K's practices at Duke. He said it was jarring because Coach K was constantly chewing out his players using all kinds of colorful words, but he was totally calm and relaxed the entire time he did it. When a player would make a mistake, Coach K would calmly insult his player's basketball aptitude, intelligence, masculinity, and mother using a long list of curse words. And he would do it in the same tone of voice as a doctor reminding someone to take their medications: just methodical and kind of bored. He said it was rather humorous to listen to him say such nasty insults using the same tone of voice that a person would read a grocery list.
I have a story that I know some people do find funny. I know a guy that used to pull the cords for the football coaches back when we used to have corded headsets connected to a base in the middle of the sidelines, so someone had to pull the cords so they wouldn't get tangled up and make a mess having everyone trip on them, and he got to do it cause his brother was friends with the ASUSU president who had to find people to do it. The guy did it for Shelton, Weatherbie, John L. Smith, Arslanian and one year of Dennehy before he lost his job cause of the purchase of cordless headsets making him no longer needed. One funny sidenote is he was assigned Gary Patterson who was the safeties coach, having no idea that he would end up being the more high profile coach. Anyhow, I asked this guy if the coaches were pretty bad about swearing, and he told me they did, and I asked which staff was the worst about swearing, and he told me that John L. Smith's staff, of the five, sticks out as being the worst about swearing. I tell that to other people, how the one staff that was able to beat Utah twice swore alot more than the other four staffs that never could, and someone asked me "Does Jesus swear?" and I asked them back "Has Jesus has ever defeated the University of Utah as Utah State's head football coach?"
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
treesap32

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » January 29th, 2024, 7:22 am

cval wrote:
January 28th, 2024, 8:55 pm
Time heals I guess. My memory is you guys are giving Kohn way too much credit. He was a poor coach, poor recruiter and poor communicator.

Sitting at the end of Knight’s bench keeping stats didn’t help him much. He may not have had much of a recruiting budget, but that was no excuse for how bad we were during those dark times.
Simply adding a bit of context. Nothing ever happens in a vacuum.
These users thanked the author WAaggieFan for the post:
AngusAg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic