NIL

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Dkdavis

NIL

Post by Dkdavis » February 6th, 2024, 7:13 am

I feel so helpless when it comes to NIL… We’ve got an awesome coach and team right now that I enjoy watching more than probably any other team. We have such a good chance at replicating this success again next year. The one thing that could blow it all up is the transfer portal and NIL…

I was racking my brain on what could be done to get someone like me to donate a little to NIL and I was thinking if 1000 other Aggies pledged to donate $100 then I would too. $100,000 isn’t much, but it’s something… or would some kind of effort like this just fall flat?

MrBiggle

Re: NIL

Post by MrBiggle » February 6th, 2024, 7:16 am

I realize I will get some of you that don’t like me asking this, but when a person donates are they able to designate which sport those funds are allocated to?
These users thanked the author MrBiggle for the post:
Dkdavis

Where only sage brush grows

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 6th, 2024, 7:22 am

MrBiggle wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 7:16 am
I realize I will get some of you that don’t like me asking this, but when a person donates are they able to designate which sport those funds are allocated to?
That’s a great question… cause I would only be interested in doing something like this if it was being donated towards basketball..
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post (total 2):
aggiesdotcomMrBiggle

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 6th, 2024, 7:53 am

MrBiggle wrote:I realize I will get some of you that don’t like me asking this, but when a person donates are they able to designate which sport those funds are allocated to?
Yes. I chose Men's Basketball. You can set it up as recurring too.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » February 6th, 2024, 8:04 am

I feel the same way. I want to contribute but don't know how best to do it.

What is the best place to start with a meager donation, that will hopefully grow?

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » February 6th, 2024, 8:04 am

Dkdavis wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 7:13 am
I feel so helpless when it comes to NIL… We’ve got an awesome coach and team right now that I enjoy watching more than probably any other team. We have such a good chance at replicating this success again next year. The one thing that could blow it all up is the transfer portal and NIL…

I was racking my brain on what could be done to get someone like me to donate a little to NIL and I was thinking if 1000 other Aggies pledged to donate $100 then I would too. $100,000 isn’t much, but it’s something… or would some kind of effort like this just fall flat?
I refuse to donate to NIL. This isn't about USU...its about the what college sports (entertainment) has become.

Why should a college student get $100,000, and drive a nicer car than I do? No thanks. I'm using my money for my family, and the most I'll spend is the cost of a ticket, and travel to the game.

NIL is a joke.
These users thanked the author Tetonkatest for the post (total 8):
ljdentStormblessedNVAggieFloridaAggie1388USUAggieAggie in Boiseaggieguy13PIGSKINAGGIE

IdahomeAggie

Post by IdahomeAggie » February 6th, 2024, 8:18 am

Tetonkatest wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 8:04 am
Dkdavis wrote:

I refuse to donate to NIL. This isn't about USU...its about the what college sports (entertainment) has become.

Why should a college student get $100,000, and drive a nicer car than I do? No thanks. I'm using my money for my family, and the most I'll spend is the cost of a ticket, and travel to the game.

NIL is a joke.
That's okay if you don't want to donate. Our basketball guys work their butts off to entertain thousands of people. They create a lot of value for a lot of people. How much do you think they ought to be compensated?

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » February 6th, 2024, 8:21 am

IdahomeAggie wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 8:18 am
Tetonkatest wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:

NIL is a joke.
That's okay if you don't want to donate. Our basketball guys work their butts off to entertain thousands of people. They create a lot of value for a lot of people. How much do you think they ought to be compensated?
That's great. They get scholarships. They get a lot of benefits being athletes. Let's not pretend that the cost of attending the games is always cheap for fans. It can be a lot.

And for NIL... if a BUSINESS (not Joe Fan) wants to hire them as a spokesperson to advertise their product (mutually beneficial for both), then let them do it. Maybe they can be a spokesman for a Credit Union or whatever in a TV commercial.

But no way am I going to donate money as a fan so a college kid can make $100,000 (or more) and drive a new car, etc.
These users thanked the author Tetonkatest for the post (total 3):
NVAggieAggie in BoiseMrBiggle

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » February 6th, 2024, 8:31 am

Tetonkatest wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:

NIL is a joke.
I largely agree. I understand the value athletics brings to a University, but my family helped set up some small scholarship funds in my dad's name. To me it is much more important to help the kid that has financial needs and is trying to get a degree to improve their life is more important than whether an athlete gets to drive a new pickup.

If businesses want sponsorships, great, but athletics isn't the primary purpose of a university, nor the most important part.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post (total 4):
TetonkatestFloridaAggie13Aggie in BoiseReal Life Aggie

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 6th, 2024, 8:38 am

Tetonkatest wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 8:21 am
IdahomeAggie wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 8:18 am
Tetonkatest wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:

NIL is a joke.
That's great. They get scholarships. They get a lot of benefits being athletes. Let's not pretend that the cost of attending the games is always cheap for fans. It can be a lot.

And for NIL... if a BUSINESS (not Joe Fan) wants to hire them as a spokesperson to advertise their product (mutually beneficial for both), then let them do it. Maybe they can be a spokesman for a Credit Union or whatever in a TV commercial.

But no way am I going to donate money as a fan so a college kid can make $100,000 (or more) and drive a new car, etc.
That's great. You don't have to donate. You can let the bitterness in all you want about it. It doesn't change the fact that to continue to get great entertainment; people will need to fork out extra money. What's wrong with someone (regardless of age) working their tail off, providing lots of value, and making good money?
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
IdahomeAggie

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » February 6th, 2024, 8:40 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 8:31 am
Tetonkatest wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:

NIL is a joke.
I largely agree. I understand the value athletics brings to a University, but my family helped set up some small scholarship funds in my dad's name. To me it is much more important to help the kid that has financial needs and is trying to get a degree to improve their life is more important than whether an athlete gets to drive a new pickup.

If businesses want sponsorships, great, but athletics isn't the primary purpose of a university, nor the most important part.
Well said. Something like a $3,000 annual scholarship for a normal kid can be huge for many people. IMO, It's a much bigger deal than ensuring that an athlete gets $100,000 from fan donations, to keep him happy so he doesn't transfer.

I have accepted that USU won't ever be a national power in college football, and the most I can hope for is probably winning a few games in the NCAA tournament. I am at peace with that. The MWC is a fun conference with good rivalries (hope it lasts and isn't destroyed by the scheming PAC2 in a few years, who are trying to position themselves to gut the MWC).

So...IMO, screw me ever personally donating to the NIL (just my opinion....people can do what they want with their money). I'll be spending my money elsewhere.
Last edited by Tetonkatest on February 6th, 2024, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 6th, 2024, 8:41 am

Tetonkatest wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:

NIL is a joke.
Find me a young family of four with both parents working and going to school part-time while raising two children. I'll donate to them, but not to a college athlete who is already collecting a scholarship, housing assistance and a food card. I don't begrudge them one bit because I wouldn't turn down the money if offered but I don't have to donate to it.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 3):
TetonkatestAggie in BoisePIGSKINAGGIE

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » February 6th, 2024, 8:42 am

I completely understand where Teton is coming from. I do donate to the athletics department but I’m admit it is for selfish purposes, that being better seats and a parking pass. I have not contributed anything to NIL and have the same type of view as Teton. If a local business wants to hire an athlete (USU credit union and Justin Bean) I say go for it. If I wanted to hire an athlete to promote my business then I should be able to do that. I don’t understand just donating money to give to an athlete. This just does not seem like the way the program should work. I also realize that not donating to NIL takes away my right to complain if we don’t stay competitive. I realize that every decision has a consequence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post (total 5):
TetonkatestNVAggieIdahomeAggieMrBiggleFloridaAggie13

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 6th, 2024, 8:52 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 8:31 am

You've got two categories of spending that you are comparing here though. 1) Giving to those less fortunate. Everyone will agree this is the noblest way to spend your extra money. Really, everyone should quit spending money on tickets and give to the poor, right? The second category 2) Spending money on entertainment. To me, it would be worth it to give $100 to athletes if that helped secure better entertainment for next year's season. However, $100 is nothing by itself. If, say, 1000 other people committed to doing the same thing, then I would find it more worth it.
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
MrBiggle

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 6th, 2024, 8:57 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 8:41 am

Find me a young family of four with both parents working and going to school part-time while raising two children. I'll donate to them, but not to a college athlete who is already collecting a scholarship, housing assistance and a food card. I don't begrudge them one bit because I wouldn't turn down the money if offered but I don't have to donate to it.
I'm not sure this scenario really exists. If you come from a poor background you can get almost all of your schooling paid for with grants. If you are married with dependents and don't make very much money, you can get almost all of your schooling paid for with grants.

......This is more of a sandbox response.... so I won't continue this any further.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 6th, 2024, 9:09 am

While i am not a fan of NIL i still want to see my Aggies succeed. As such i will continue to donate to NIL which is not a huge amount each month but everything helps. I do like the Blue A Collective in that the players have to do service projects and community outreach to be part of the collective. I hope more businesses in the valley will reach out and have players sponsor their business etc.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 6th, 2024, 9:17 am

I was that husband with two little kids trying to make it through school. My wife worked full-time at night. I worked semi-full-time as I was able. I didn't go on vacations for Spring Break or Summer vacation. That was my time tow work. Grants covered a lot, but not all of the expense. A small amount of money would have been a precious gift to us. I'm grateful for the experience because it made me what I am today.

I won't feel bad for athletes. They have every advantage. If they want to work with a business or serve through the collective then let them do it. I give my donations to the AD and education based scholarships. I feel it is important to maintain my principles and standards in my giving. I also fully recognize that my hard stance on NIL will most likely be detrimental to USU sports. I can live with that because I feel it is all in vain when all is said and done. We will never compete with the NIL of the big wigs. College sports will die in my heart just like the professional leagues have already done.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
TetonkatestFloridaAggie13PIGSKINAGGIE

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » February 6th, 2024, 9:23 am

Is it time to revisit the deal with Maverik and transform it into an NIL endowment fund? So many possibilities that could be implemented in connection with that IMO. Local Maveriks are always slammed, take advantage of that in some way. You already have the stadium name to help initiate some kind program.

Similar relationships could be set up with other companies (Crumbl, Gossners, Thermo Fischer, many more than I can think of right now) Jordan Love is on the BoD. Get something written into his new contract to set up some endowment funding. Once you have an endowment in place, let the proceeds be the NIL limit.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » February 6th, 2024, 9:40 am

I will donate when the NCAA reins this in. I can’t justify it right now. Every player is essentially a free agent at all times, right now I feel like it’s basically throwing money away. Now if players were bound to some sort of contract, there is value there I would contribute. It’s a zero sum game at USU right now, too many “P5” programs waiting in the wings. Professional sports players have contracts, NCAA is essentially professional now, the players should be bound to contracts.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post:
MrBiggle

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » February 6th, 2024, 9:50 am

And you can add in to the craziness of NIL and unlimited transfers that the NLRB just held that Dartmouth basketball players are "employees" and can create a union.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ge-sports/

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » February 6th, 2024, 9:56 am

bwcrc wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 9:50 am
And you can add in to the craziness of NIL and unlimited transfers that the NLRB just held that Dartmouth basketball players are "employees" and can create a union.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ge-sports/
I'm my opinion, this is a good step towards turning players from transfer anytime students to contractually controlled employees

Not sent from Tapatalk

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 6th, 2024, 10:54 am

Great. Let’s call them university employees. Like the dude who sits in the TSC computer lab and acts like you hit him in the face with a lead pipe when you hand him your ID card (sorry if that was one of you ((I can't express myself without swearing))). Make them sign a contract with a buyout

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » February 6th, 2024, 11:42 am

Dkdavis wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 8:57 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

I'm not sure this scenario really exists. If you come from a poor background you can get almost all of your schooling paid for with grants. If you are married with dependents and don't make very much money, you can get almost all of your schooling paid for with grants.

......This is more of a sandbox response.... so I won't continue this any further.
This reads like it came from someone who paid $32,000 for a new home in 1971.
These users thanked the author Dwigt for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » February 6th, 2024, 11:49 am

I don't mind the players getting paid. Not sure the fans paying for it directly is the ideal solution. Let them get a piece of the TV contract and advertising money.

If a college basketball player is good and his only motivation is maximizing NIL, USU will always lose that battle to a bigger/wealthier school. Also, this season is proof that you can build a competitive roster from season to season. I'll continue to support Aggie athletics by going to games and paying for tickets/merch and watching on TV. Not sure I'll ever contribute to an NIL fund.
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post:
IdahomeAggie

cval

Post by cval » February 6th, 2024, 11:54 am

No matter how well we think we can compete in the arms race that the NCAA has allowed this to become, we will never be able to keep up.

It is frustrating, but it seems futile.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
MrBiggle

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 6th, 2024, 12:08 pm

cval wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 11:54 am
No matter how well we think we can compete in the arms race that the NCAA has allowed this to become, we will never be able to keep up.

It is frustrating, but it seems futile.
While that is true most players USU recruits are not 100% focusing on NIL money, if they were USU would not be the first choice. The current collective while still small but growing was able to help retain some of the biggest football players this offseason. Certainly we will never compete with the bigger schools unless legislation is passed but our collective can grow and help retain solid players.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
Dkdavistrevordude

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » February 6th, 2024, 12:57 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:

NIL is a joke.
Just to play devil's advocate, so you are okay with coaches, athletics directors, conference commissioners, bowl game commissioners, other administrative staff, basically everyone involved with college athletics other than the actual athletes, earning six figure (or seven figure) salaries and driving fancy cars and getting rich generally? But the athletes themselves should just be happy with a scholarship while they eat ramen noodles?

From my point of view, if someone doesn't want to donate to athletics at all because they prefer to spend money on their family or they prefer to donate to the academic side of USU, that is completely understandable and justifiable. But if I am going to donate to athletics, I would rather donate to NIL than the general athletic fund, quite honestly. I'd rather the money go into the players' pockets rather than the pockets of some administrator or contractor.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post (total 6):
trevordudeAggie84025Real Life AggieIdahomeAggieDkdavisflying_scotsman2.0

trevordude

Post by trevordude » February 6th, 2024, 1:09 pm

I like Aggie Athletics as a source of entertainment. Giving to NIL will potential increase my entertainment (though perhaps diminishing returns as some have pointed out).

I'm not jealous that others are living a richer $$ life than I have.

If I find a new preference for my entertainment, I'll stop giving to NIL. I'm not giving to NIL because an athlete "deserves" to live better than me.

I don't buy from Walmart because for the good of Walmart, but because they provide a product/service.
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
Dkdavis

Not sent from Tapatalk

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 6th, 2024, 1:11 pm

trevordude wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 1:09 pm
You seem to be in the minority here on this board. Lot of upset folk up in arms about these uppity college boys making some cash money.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
Dkdavis

Full

Post by Full » February 6th, 2024, 1:14 pm

I joined the Blue A Collective. I’m not giving a lot, but I include it with my entertainment expenses. I believe having something to offer players will help. I also believe the Dartmouth ruling is where this is headed. Athletes will be employees, and there will be contracts and possibly unions. Until that time, I think a couple hundred dollars to a collective is a better choice for my entertainment budget than a couple hundred more to the AD.
These users thanked the author Full for the post (total 4):
trevordudeAggie84025Dkdavisflying_scotsman2.0

trevordude

Post by trevordude » February 6th, 2024, 1:15 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 1:11 pm
trevordude wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 1:09 pm
You seem to be in the minority here on this board. Lot of upset folk up in arms about these uppity college boys making some cash money.
I've never directly handed Jeff Bezos money, only in exchange for goods and services

Not sent from Tapatalk

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » February 6th, 2024, 1:16 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:

NIL is a joke.
I can't believe you aren't more generous given the success of your OF page and how many of us are subscribers.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 6th, 2024, 1:40 pm

I'm not someone who will pump money into the collective, but happy that local businesses are using Aggie players for advertising. I also fully support buying Aggie gear from the players and helping them out. I buy my share of Aggie shirts, why shouldn't I support great osobor if he is selling one or whoever else?
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Aggie84025

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » February 6th, 2024, 1:44 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 1:16 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:

NIL is a joke.
I can't believe you aren't more generous given the success of your OF page and how many of us are subscribers.
I think there are rules for what types of businesses that players can engage in NIL deals with... though with Isaac Johnson mustache, maybe he would fit in...

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » February 6th, 2024, 1:46 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 1:16 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:

NIL is a joke.
Most all of @FloridaAggie13 's money is generously donated in Las Vegas. And as the saying goes "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas." except for all those times Florida left Vegas with STDs.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic