Rebounding

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
El Chapin

Rebounding

Post by El Chapin » February 20th, 2024, 12:43 pm

Is it just me or has USU's rebounding gotten progresively worse over the second half of the season? It seems like we're giving up significant second chances. This has to be fixed against a bigger, more physical SDSU team.

Also, since when did Osobor start playing the "ole" defense? On multiple occassions he simply quit on defensive plays against CSU letting guys drive right by him.

Here's hoping they can effectively address these issues or tonight's game won't have the outcome we want.

FeartheFro

Re: Rebounding

Post by FeartheFro » February 20th, 2024, 12:45 pm

El Chapin wrote:Is it just me or has USU's rebounding gotten progresively worse over the second half of the season? It seems like we're giving up significant second chances. This has to be fixed against a bigger, more physical SDSU team.

Also, since when did Osobor start playing the "ole" defense? On multiple occassions he simply quit on defensive plays against CSU letting guys drive right by him.

Here's hoping they can effectively address these issues or tonight's game won't have the outcome we want.
This was the most concerning thing about Saturdays game. We rarely got a clean defensive rebound. It truly looked like one team wanted it more. I hope we are that team tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Chapin

Post by El Chapin » February 20th, 2024, 12:47 pm

Here's the link to rebounding over the course of the season. Go to "game by game" and "comparison" and you can see that the rebounding margin has gone negative over the past eight games or so. Clearly, this is a result of playing bigger, more competitive teams but still. I believe rebounding is one of the biggest keys to tonight's game.

https://utahstateaggies.com/sports/mens ... ball/stats
These users thanked the author El Chapin for the post (total 2):
AggieArmyAggieFBObsession

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » February 20th, 2024, 1:07 pm

The only player I am seeing going hard for rebounds is our PG, that has to change
These users thanked the author JFWAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

SLB

Post by SLB » February 20th, 2024, 1:32 pm

Osobor can get offensive rebounds but not good at defensive rebounds.
Johnson is the lone defensive rebounder, but he plays limited minutes.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 20th, 2024, 1:47 pm

SLB wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 1:32 pm
Great is averaging over 9 rebounds a game. His effort at time i think can be questioned but you don't get 9+ rebounds a game by not being good at defensive rebounds.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 20th, 2024, 1:49 pm

we are 28th as a team in defensive rebounding percentage. When we didn't do that well (at all) vs CSU, we fell apart. It hurt our offense because we didn't get into transition. It hurt our defense because they were getting an extra shot attempt on 67% of their misses for the first 15 minutes.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 4):
Aggie84025AggieFBObsessionNVAggieFloridaAggie13

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 20th, 2024, 1:52 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 1:49 pm
we are 28th as a team in defensive rebounding percentage. When we didn't do that well (at all) vs CSU, we fell apart. It hurt our offense because we didn't get into transition. It hurt our defense because they were getting an extra shot attempt on 67% of their misses for the first 15 minutes.
Not much is more demoralizing than playing good defense and forcing a missed shot only to give up an offensive rebound that turns into points for the other team.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 20th, 2024, 1:54 pm

SLB wrote:
Great is second on the team in defensive rebound percentage at 21.9% (Burris is first at 24.4) and Johnson is at 19.3%. The distance between Osobor and Johnson is greater ( :cool2: ) than the gap between Johnson and Templin, our fifth best defensive rebounder.

Jackson Grant actually has the biggest offensive rebound percentage followed by Sakho, Great, Templin. Johnson is 9th, well behind Falslev.

Looking at these stats, it is clear that Uduje could be a better rebounder when he is in the game. He is 12th in rebounds per 40 minutes on our team, 12th in defensive rebounding percentage, and 10th in offensive rebounding percentage.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » February 20th, 2024, 1:56 pm

JFWAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 1:07 pm
The only player I am seeing going hard for rebounds is our PG, that has to change
And Mason Falslev. I know I keep defending him, but I can't deny what are obvious facts to me.

Not that it matters as much as our forwards and centers rebounding.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
Aggie in Boise

SLB

Post by SLB » February 20th, 2024, 2:04 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 1:54 pm
SLB wrote:
Great is second on the team in defensive rebound percentage at 21.9% (Burris is first at 24.4) and Johnson is at 19.3%. The distance between Osobor and Johnson is greater ( :cool2: ) than the gap between Johnson and Templin, our fifth best defensive rebounder.

Jackson Grant actually has the biggest offensive rebound percentage followed by Sakho, Great, Templin. Johnson is 9th, well behind Falslev.

Looking at these stats, it is clear that Uduje could be a better rebounder when he is in the game. He is 12th in rebounds per 40 minutes on our team, 12th in defensive rebounding percentage, and 10th in offensive rebounding percentage.
Osobor plays underneath the hoop 24/7, but Johnson plays both inside and outside. When Johnson is playing inside, we get defensive rebounds. Osobor gets a number of rebounds per game because Osobor plays 33.1 minutes per game.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 20th, 2024, 2:11 pm

SLB wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:04 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

Osobor plays underneath the hoop 24/7, but Johnson plays both inside and outside. When Johnson is playing inside, we get defensive rebounds. Osobor gets a number of rebounds per game because Osobor plays 33.1 minutes per game.
None of the stats I listed would be affected by minutes per game in the way you suggest as they were percentages and per 40 minute stats, not totals. Johnson would actually be helped by this if he played fewer minutes because he would theoretically be playing at higher energy for the per 40 (This is why Burris leads this category; can play at 100% and 1 rebound goes a longer way over his limited time on the floor than Great's minutes)

How are you going to claim that Johnson is the "lone defensive rebounder" and then say he doesn't get defensive rebounds because he doesn't play in position to get them? It isn't even true. Johnson is in the paint on defensive rebounds nearly as much as Great; if he isn't in position to rebound, then that indicates he isn't the "lone defensive rebounder" on the team. I can tell you the reason why Johnson doesn't have more defensive rebounds and it is because Great is a better rebounder than he is, so he takes them all.

Let me cut off your next argument, which I can only assume is "yeah, but when the defensive rebound is caught by Johnson, he gets more defensive rebounds" and say yes you are correct on that one.
Last edited by QuackAttackAggie on February 20th, 2024, 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FloridaAggie13

SLB

Post by SLB » February 20th, 2024, 2:18 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:11 pm
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

None of the stats I listed would be affected by minutes per game in the way you suggest as they were percentages and per 40 minute stats, not totals. Johnson would actually be helped by this if he played fewer minutes because he would theoretically be playing at higher energy for the per 40 (This is why Burris leads this category; can play at 100% and 1 rebound goes a longer way over his limited time on the floor than Great's minutes)

How are you going to claim that Johnson is the "lone defensive rebounder" and then say he doesn't get defensive rebounds because he doesn't play in position to get them? It isn't even true. Johnson is in the paint on defensive rebounds nearly as much as Great; if he isn't in position to rebound, then that indicates he isn't the "lone defensive rebounder" on the team. I can tell you the reason why Johnson doesn't have more defensive rebounds and it is because Great is a better rebounder than he is, so he takes them all.

Let me cut off your next argument, which I can only assume is "yeah, but when the defensive rebound is caught by Johnson, he gets more defensive rebounds" and say yes you are correct on that one.
The paint extends past the 3-point line. An interesting point

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » February 20th, 2024, 2:21 pm

I think CSU outrebounded us 27-14 in 1H (not sure on breakdown between offensive and defensive), and 45-32 for game. In the first half of the game if felt like our defensive stops weren't even really stops because they just kept getting O rebounds until they scored or we fouled. Hopefully effort improves tonight.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 20th, 2024, 2:22 pm

SLB wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:18 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

Osobor is 16th in the NCAA at defensive rebounding percentage (and 12th for TRB%). The top 100 of this stat has 55 guards. Are they also playing solely below the basket, you think?

If Ian Johnson is beyond the three point line in most of our defensive possessions like you say, he shouldn't be on the floor. Obviously that isn't the case and you just have to change reality to fit your argument. Speaking of which--you said Great would leave early for the NBA. Surely you must have more faith in him to rebound than you do for Johnson.
Last edited by QuackAttackAggie on February 20th, 2024, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025FloridaAggie13

SLB

Post by SLB » February 20th, 2024, 2:23 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Johnson got into foul trouble then defensive rebounding collapsed. It has been a theme for some time.

SLB

Post by SLB » February 20th, 2024, 2:27 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:22 pm
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

Osobor is 16th in the NCAA at defensive rebounding percentage (and 12th for TRB%). The top 100 of this stat has 55 guards. Are they also playing solely below the basket, you think?
You don't watch the games. I watch them, and the defensive rebounding is there with Johnson. Without Johnson, our defensive rebounding collapses. Osobor sucks up garbage defensive rebounds all the time with him being underneath the hoop 24/7, but Johnson is the only one that actually battles and gets the defensive rebounds.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » February 20th, 2024, 2:31 pm

I haven’t paid close enough attention to know for sure but have opponents been sending more guys to the offensive board and taking more chances with us on transition D. Earlier in the season were opponents focusing on sending there guys back on D and not giving up transition points? Is this a strategy that showed up on tape perhaps the first time we played SDSU and now it is time for our coaches to respond with a counter strategy?
These users thanked the author nswaggie for the post:
SLB

SLB

Post by SLB » February 20th, 2024, 2:34 pm

nswaggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:31 pm
I haven’t paid close enough attention to know for sure but have opponents been sending more guys to the offensive board and taking more chances with us on transition D. Earlier in the season were opponents focusing on sending there guys back on D and not giving up transition points? Is this a strategy that showed up on tape perhaps the first time we played SDSU and now it is time for our coaches to respond with a counter strategy?
This is true. They know that Osobor does not cleanly get defensive rebounds, so he is getting beaten badly on the boards on the defensive side. We need Johnson to keep on improving to counter it.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » February 20th, 2024, 2:40 pm

SLB wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:34 pm
nswaggie wrote:
This is true. They know that Osobor does not cleanly get defensive rebounds, so he is getting beaten badly on the boards on the defensive side. We need Johnson to keep on improving to counter it.
I also think our guards and small forwards are going to need to focus on getting a body on someone rather than flaring out for transition offense. They have to be smart on when to push the transition offense.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 20th, 2024, 2:42 pm

SLB wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:23 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Johnson got into foul trouble then defensive rebounding collapsed. It has been a theme for some time.
We gave up 14 offensive rebounds. 6 of those came in the 13 minutes that Johnson played. 8 of them came in the 27 minutes he did not play. I can't come to the same conclusion that had he not been in foul trouble we would have rebounded better on offense. I'm not blaming him for poor rebounding. 7 of their other 8 offensive boards came in a ten minute stretch where everybody was struggling. I'm just saying you're wrong about him being some difference maker on the defensive boards.
Last edited by QuackAttackAggie on February 20th, 2024, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 20th, 2024, 2:44 pm

SLB wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:27 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

You don't watch the games. I watch them, and the defensive rebounding is there with Johnson. Without Johnson, our defensive rebounding collapses. Osobor sucks up garbage defensive rebounds all the time with him being underneath the hoop 24/7, but Johnson is the only one that actually battles and gets the defensive rebounds.
We are both watching the games. One of us says that Great is a better rebounder. One of us says it is Johnson. One of those two players is leading the nation in defensive rebounding percentage. But I'm sure if Johnson is going to be out of the starting lineup tonight it'll be because of the offensive spark that Sakho brings despite the step down from the mythical rebounder Johnson.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 20th, 2024, 2:48 pm

SLB wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:34 pm
nswaggie wrote:
Wait a minute, I thought Johnson wasn't getting rebounds only because he was past the 3 pt line guarding his man. Now you're telling me that his man is crashing the boards because they've realized that Great (the 16th best defensive rebounder in NCAA) can't rebound? And Johnson's just letting that happen?

SLB

Post by SLB » February 20th, 2024, 2:49 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:44 pm
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

We are both watching the games. One of us says that Great is a better rebounder. One of us says it is Johnson. One of those two players is leading the nation in defensive rebounding percentage. But I'm sure if Johnson is going to be out of the starting lineup tonight it'll be because of the offensive spark that Sakho brings despite the step down from the mythical rebounder Johnson.
You don't understand what I said at any point, and you don't watch the games.
Johnson is better at defensive rebounding, and Osobor is better at offensive rebounding. I did not say that either one is a better overall rebounder. Johnson is key for defensive rebounds since the rest of the team struggles at defensive rebounding.

SLB

Post by SLB » February 20th, 2024, 2:51 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

You went into an argument without watching the games. There are replayed games on this site.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 20th, 2024, 2:53 pm

SLB wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:49 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

You don't understand what I said at any point, and you don't watch the games.
Johnson is better at defensive rebounding, and Osobor is better at offensive rebounding. I did not say that either one is a better overall rebounder. Johnson is key for defensive rebounds since the rest of the team struggles at defensive rebounding.
This is true, except for the fact that Johnson is not better at defensive rebounding in any way. You also said Johnson is our "lone defensive rebounder"
Last edited by QuackAttackAggie on February 20th, 2024, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 20th, 2024, 2:53 pm

SLB wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:51 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

You went into an argument without watching the games. There are replayed games on this site.
You haven't watched an aggies game in 20 years.

Am I doing this right? Just making up random facts?
FloridaAggie13

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 20th, 2024, 2:57 pm

Rebounding is a team thing. One person can't block out everyone.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 20th, 2024, 3:00 pm

NVAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:57 pm
Rebounding is a team thing. One person can't block out everyone.
Who needs to block out when you have the hops and defensive rebounding skills of 7 footer Isaac Johnson? It's like we are watching Kenneth Faried out there.
NVAggie

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 20th, 2024, 6:46 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:53 pm
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

You should see him in the Sandbox. He dabbles in falsehoods the way Whitman works in prose. It's wrong, but one has to admire his artistry.

Good luck.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
QuackAttackAggie

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 20th, 2024, 6:56 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 2:53 pm
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

You should see him in the Sandbox. He dabbles in falsehoods the way Whitman works in prose. It's wrong, but one has to admire his artistry.

Good luck.
I had the mods block the sandbox for me years ago so it wouldn't be in my tapatalk feed and he was the main reason why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Chapin

Post by El Chapin » February 21st, 2024, 10:10 am

Aggies were -3 rebounding last night. Even though the margin was negative, it was clear that USU was much more aggresive on the boards and it made a big difference. If they can maintain that kind of aggresiveness from here on they will be in good shape. Great win last night!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic