Defensive strategy

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SectionBAggie

Defensive strategy

Post by SectionBAggie » February 20th, 2024, 11:37 pm

Many times you hear analysis along the lines of "Their star is going to get his points. You just need to make him work hard for them. And not let anyone else beat you."

In SanDiego, Pal was the anyone else.

Tonight the four starters besides LeDee were a combined 5-20 for 12 total points. (Zero for Butler is still a stunner to me.) And anyone could see that LeDee was working really hard.

Mission accomplished tonight.
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post (total 2):
AggiePTAGinNEIowa

LarryTheAggie

Re: Defensive strategy

Post by LarryTheAggie » February 20th, 2024, 11:48 pm

It seemed to me that we forced them into a lot of 3 point shots and mid range jumpers. We held them to 26 points in the paint to our 36. And it seemed lake a lot of those were Ledee shots towards the top of the key. Any time you can get a physical team to settle for 3s and mid range jumpers, you are doing something right defensively and are going to have a good chance at winning.

Esspecially when they only shot 15.8% from 3.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionereksonaggie95

PIGSKINAGGIE

Post by PIGSKINAGGIE » February 21st, 2024, 7:45 am

Defense was outstanding on both sides, what a heavyweight battle. Was an amazing night.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 21st, 2024, 7:52 am

LeDee was settling for the FT jumpers last night. It worked for him because he didn't miss many of them. It also kept him out of the paint that helped with rebounds and less fouls. Pal killed us in SDSU He only missed two free throws all game and had 16 points and 7 boards. Last night he had 4 points and 6 boards. Our perimeter defense was very good. We kept their guards outside and chucking up threes

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » February 21st, 2024, 8:41 am

The team clearly adjusted from CSU. Love coach sprinkles ability to make adjustments during the week. CSU destroyed us in the paint, where our physicality and defense were non-existent. Last night, we owned the paint. Osobor, Sakho, and Johnson worked their asses off against LeDee. And the guards stayed in front and didn't give up an inch. It was a pleasure to watch. This was the defense I dreamed about at the start of the season.

Side note, I didn't notice any minutes for Templin. Did his game film vs CSU make him a liability against a team like SDSU and LeDee? Or did I miss something?

jprism
Has thanked: 0

Post by jprism » February 21st, 2024, 9:56 am

AggiePT wrote:The team clearly adjusted from CSU. Love coach sprinkles ability to make adjustments during the week. CSU destroyed us in the paint, where our physicality and defense were non-existent. Last night, we owned the paint. Osobor, Sakho, and Johnson worked their asses off against LeDee. And the guards stayed in front and didn't give up an inch. It was a pleasure to watch. This was the defense I dreamed about at the start of the season.

Side note, I didn't notice any minutes for Templin. Did his game film vs CSU make him a liability against a team like SDSU and LeDee? Or did I miss something?
I’m thinking we didn’t see Templin minutes because Great, Isaac, and Sahko all held their weight, played acceptable, and weren’t really in early foul trouble. Those seem to be the situations when we see Templin minutes and none of those situations really happened last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author jprism for the post:
AggiePT

NEAggie

Post by NEAggie » February 21st, 2024, 10:31 am

AggiePT wrote:
February 21st, 2024, 8:41 am
The team clearly adjusted from CSU. Love coach sprinkles ability to make adjustments during the week. CSU destroyed us in the paint, where our physicality and defense were non-existent. Last night, we owned the paint. Osobor, Sakho, and Johnson worked their asses off against LeDee. And the guards stayed in front and didn't give up an inch. It was a pleasure to watch. This was the defense I dreamed about at the start of the season.

Biggest defensive adjustment I noticed last night was our guards would fight through the screens set by SDSU’s bigs near the 3 point line instead of switching. The switching has cost us dearly in a few games as it leaves one of our guards defending a big guy in the paint and they often just got backed down and gave up an easy hoop close in. Not last night. Really good adjustment.
These users thanked the author NEAggie for the post:
AggiePT

AgTime

Post by AgTime » February 21st, 2024, 10:42 am

NEAggie wrote:
February 21st, 2024, 10:31 am
AggiePT wrote:
February 21st, 2024, 8:41 am

Biggest defensive adjustment I noticed last night was our guards would fight through the screens set by SDSU’s bigs near the 3 point line instead of switching. The switching has cost us dearly in a few games as it leaves one of our guards defending a big guy in the paint and they often just got backed down and gave up an easy hoop close in. Not last night. Really good adjustment.
This. Fantastic adjustment. CSU would run action for favorable switches mercilessly (in both matchups). Though I would argue Stephens is much more adept at leveraging the defender’s bias to his (their) advantage.

cval

Post by cval » February 21st, 2024, 10:48 am

While some are dissing Mason and Ian for their lack of offense, it should be noted that they, and Brown completely dominated their highly touted guards.

Butler and Trammel were non factors. They were not able to penetrate or get open shots. Our guards were awesome defensively.
These users thanked the author cval for the post (total 2):
NEAggieAggiePT

AgTime

Post by AgTime » February 21st, 2024, 12:57 pm

cval wrote:
February 21st, 2024, 10:48 am
While some are dissing Mason and Ian for their lack of offense, it should be noted that they, and Brown completely dominated their highly touted guards.

Butler and Trammel were non factors. They were not able to penetrate or get open shots. Our guards were awesome defensively.
IMO, Mason also made the play of the game in tipping (twice got a hand on it) that ball out to DB for the dagger 3.
These users thanked the author AgTime for the post:
Aggie84025

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » February 21st, 2024, 12:59 pm

AggiePT wrote:The team clearly adjusted from CSU. Love coach sprinkles ability to make adjustments during the week. CSU destroyed us in the paint, where our physicality and defense were non-existent. Last night, we owned the paint. Osobor, Sakho, and Johnson worked their asses off against LeDee. And the guards stayed in front and didn't give up an inch. It was a pleasure to watch. This was the defense I dreamed about at the start of the season.

Templin and Jackson have no idea if they are playing on any given night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 21st, 2024, 1:03 pm

Defense was on point the whole night. LaDee had a lot of points but almost nothing close to the rim. Most of his point were 15 feet or further out. I thought the guard defense all night was really strong.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
cval

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic