Welp...Sprinkle frontrunner for Washington?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Cheecho6

Re: Welp...Sprinkle frontrunner for Washington?

Post by Cheecho6 » March 2nd, 2024, 7:16 pm

aggies22 wrote:If it helps ease any tension, I knew about Odom being gone last January. I haven't heard anything about Coach Sprinkle.
I want this to be comforting but shows that things happen behind the scenes even if teams are in the hunt for a NCAA tourney run. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 2nd, 2024, 7:20 pm

Dwigt wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 6:08 pm
If this happens, I hope we promote Andy Hill.
I like Andy but like coaches that have head coaching experience.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
OrangeCountyAggie

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » March 2nd, 2024, 7:29 pm

Somebody at the luncheon should ask him why it was important for him to bring back past Aggies this summer. If he is telling his team how important it is to be an Aggie then leaves like this. LOL

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 2nd, 2024, 7:31 pm

Cheecho6 wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 7:16 pm
aggies22 wrote:If it helps ease any tension, I knew about Odom being gone last January. I haven't heard anything about Coach Sprinkle.
I want this to be comforting but shows that things happen behind the scenes even if teams are in the hunt for a NCAA tourney run. Image

Odom was using his daddy’s search agency to put a feeler out at every single Job on the east coast that entire year.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post (total 2):
trevordudeIntermeddler

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 2nd, 2024, 7:32 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 7:15 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 7:12 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 6:44 pm
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 6:41 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 6:39 pm
trevordude wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 6:37 pm
Gotta enjoy the good years while they're here. Go to the conference tournament, go to the NCAA 's, have fun while we're alive.

Hopefully the AD can wisely use the buyout money. We'll see how good Sabau is at hiring
Agreed — what sucks the most is the timing of this news leaking. If we end up losing in the NCAAs in round 1 as per usual, we’ll always wonder if it’s because the coach/team was checked out.

That’s what sucks the most.
If sprinkle was actually close with Goodman. Why tf would Goodman leak this?
I doubt he heard it from Sprinkle. More likely from UW who wants it leaked to keep other teams away. Sort of like a dog marking its territory.
Yeah, that makes total sense. Because if some other school wants Sprinkle, they will definitely back off if they know that an incredibly attractive job at a traditional powerhouse like Washington is available. No chance whatsoever that they would be motivated to offer him even more money. It will also work out great for Washington if Sprinkle signs somewhere else. No chance that fans or donors will be upset knowing that Washington had to settle for their second choice.

It makes far more sense that Sprinkle's camp leaked this. He is the one that will benefit from having his name linked to a better (or at least better paying) job, not Washington.
Well, if it is Sprinkle's camp leaking this it makes him look even worse. Maybe we can fire him with cause on Monday and start the coach search right away.
I hope this is sarcasm. The best way to get more money/resources at any job is to get an outside offer with more money/resources. One just as easily spin this as Sprinkle wants to win and is telling USU that they need to either give the resources he needs to win or he will go somewhere that will. For all we know, Sprinkle has zero intention of taking this job and is simply trying to convince donors to contribute more to USU's NIL fund.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post (total 2):
bigblue32aggietime

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 2nd, 2024, 7:33 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 7:32 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
trevordude wrote:
Gotta enjoy the good years while they're here. Go to the conference tournament, go to the NCAA 's, have fun while we're alive.

Hopefully the AD can wisely use the buyout money. We'll see how good Sabau is at hiring
Agreed — what sucks the most is the timing of this news leaking. If we end up losing in the NCAAs in round 1 as per usual, we’ll always wonder if it’s because the coach/team was checked out.

I doubt he heard it from Sprinkle. More likely from UW who wants it leaked to keep other teams away. Sort of like a dog marking its territory.
Yeah, that makes total sense. Because if some other school wants Sprinkle, they will definitely back off if they know that an incredibly attractive job at a traditional powerhouse like Washington is available. No chance whatsoever that they would be motivated to offer him even more money. It will also work out great for Washington if Sprinkle signs somewhere else. No chance that fans or donors will be upset knowing that Washington had to settle for their second choice.

It makes far more sense that Sprinkle's camp leaked this. He is the one that will benefit from having his name linked to a better (or at least better paying) job, not Washington.
Well, if it is Sprinkle's camp leaking this it makes him look even worse. Maybe we can fire him with cause on Monday and start the coach search right away.
I hope this is sarcasm. The best way to get more money/resources at any job is to get an outside offer with more money/resources. One just as easily spin this as Sprinkle wants to win and is telling USU that they need to either give the resources he needs to win or he will go somewhere that will. For all we know, Sprinkle has zero intention of taking this job and is simply trying to convince donors to contribute more to USU's NIL fund.
There’s nothing more motivating to me as a potential donor knowing no matter what we donate the second a good coach comes and has a good season he jumps ship. I’ll tell you
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post (total 2):
cvalMrBiggle

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » March 2nd, 2024, 7:43 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
trevordude wrote:

:crazy:

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 2nd, 2024, 7:43 pm

Way more better drinking options and night life in Seattle. Besides, it would be nice to fetch $2.9 Million from Washington, bust out that B10 money. :devil: :stirpot:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Foolonthehill

Post by Foolonthehill » March 2nd, 2024, 7:52 pm

So based off of these two tweets are we all sure he’s gone? The same way we were all sure Ike was gone after last season?

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 2nd, 2024, 7:57 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
trevordude wrote:

If he's accepted an offer in principle, yes, fire him immediately with cause.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 2nd, 2024, 7:57 pm

Foolonthehill wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 7:52 pm
So based off of these two tweets are we all sure he’s gone? The same way we were all sure Ike was gone after last season?
Absolutely not, we don't know he's gone. But in the age of instant information without having concrete information to deny it then the mind goes to the worst. I just hope the team is focused for Tuesday night at the Spartans.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
ChowderAggie

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 2nd, 2024, 7:58 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 7:57 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
trevordude wrote:

No the correct move is to suspend him for cause, unpaid, that why his buyout is higher for when he actually does leave :)(obviously ONLY if he’s agreed in principle lol )
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 2nd, 2024, 8:22 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 5:28 pm
jprism wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 5:24 pm
pilotaggie wrote:I'm out of the loop what connections does sprinkle have at Washington?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
His father played there

It’s close to Montana

And

It Sprinkles a lot in Seattle
And they have hundreds of bars in Seattle. Sprinkle has to drive all the wat to SLC for the nearest bar.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 2nd, 2024, 8:51 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
trevordude wrote:

Where is there even a rumor that he has accepted an offer? Everyone involved would get into legal trouble if they offered him a job that is not currently open. The tweet said that Sprinkle is the "frontrunner," whatever that means. It could mean nothing more than, "His agent was the first one to pick up the phone when we put out feelers to see if anyone might be interested in the job." It's amazing to me the meltdown on this board over a vaguely worded (and completely unsourced) tweet.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 2nd, 2024, 8:53 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 8:51 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
trevordude wrote:

Where is there even a rumor that he has accepted an offer? Everyone involved would get into legal trouble if they offered him a job that is not currently open. The tweet said that Sprinkle is the "frontrunner," whatever that means. It could mean nothing more than, "His agent was the first one to pick up the phone when we put out feelers to see if anyone might be interested in the job." It's amazing to me the meltdown on this board over a vaguely worded (and completely unsourced) tweet.
That's why I said IF he's accepted an offer in principle.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 2nd, 2024, 8:57 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 7:33 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
trevordude wrote:

There’s nothing more motivating to me as a potential donor knowing no matter what we donate the second a good coach comes and has a good season he jumps ship. I’ll tell you
Has anyone on this board ever negotiated for a raise in their entire life? Why don't you go into your boss' office and say, "This is my dream job, and I'm never leaving no matter what. But please give me a raise anyway." Let me know how that goes for you.

I find it bizarre and fascinating that the board is melting down and assuming that this tweet means that Sprinkle is gone. I'm sure that Sprinkle is going to get at least some interest from other schools that could pay more than USU does after this season. But I think it is extremely unlikely that that has been offered and accepted a job that is not even open currently.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 2nd, 2024, 8:59 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 8:53 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
trevordude wrote:

And I say that if Sprinkle is a Russian spy, he should be thrown in prison. Why even both talking about silly hypotheticals? Like I said, given that the Washington job is not currently open, I am fairly confident that he hasn't accepted a job offer there yet.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 2nd, 2024, 9:02 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
trevordude wrote:

That would forfeit the buyout money. It would be the best thing that could possibly happen to Washington.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 2nd, 2024, 9:02 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 8:59 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
trevordude wrote:

And I say that if Sprinkle is a Russian spy, he should be thrown in prison. Why even both talking about silly hypotheticals? Like I said, given that the Washington job is not currently open, I am fairly confident that he hasn't accepted a job offer there yet.
Message boards such as this are almost streams of consciousness, though, not as volatile as chat during a game.

It is more than reasonable to assert this was leaked for a purpose, whether it be by Sprinkle or UW, and that it is on the heels of serious conversations.

We'll see how it plays out.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 2nd, 2024, 9:03 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
trevordude wrote:

Within USU’s budget limitations there is not enough money that we could offer to retain a coach that a P5 school wants to steal. And that goes for retaining our best players under the NIL culture, too.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
ChowderAggie

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 2nd, 2024, 9:05 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 9:02 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
trevordude wrote:

That would forfeit the buyout money. It would be the best thing that could possibly happen to Washington.
Why would the buyout remain be void if he's fired with cause? Genuine question.

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » March 2nd, 2024, 9:10 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
trevordude wrote:

Stanford, let’s say based on the info we currently have you have to bet everything you own.

Would you bet:

1. Sprinkle is coaching for Washington next year

Or

2. Sprinkle is NOT coaching at Washington next year.

For me, given it was Jeff Goodman that has leaked the info, I would reluctantly pick #1 from above.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 2nd, 2024, 9:11 pm

If I was sprinkle I'd hold out for the USC job. Enfield has to be on the hot seat.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 2nd, 2024, 9:12 pm

It's unlikely Sprinkle has had a conversation with UW. This is probably just them making the claim that they'll be reaching out to him first.

That said, regardless of the truth of Goodman's tweet, it's not going to be good for the team. I'll be surprised if we beat UNM and am afraid that, using the stock metaphor, the smart move would be selling USU stock for the season.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » March 2nd, 2024, 9:31 pm

I'll say this again. We need to have the home and home games written into the contract buyout like VCU does. It's been a banger for them for years with the coaching carousel.
These users thanked the author thrashsoundly for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » March 2nd, 2024, 9:45 pm

Both of those tweets were worded vaguely enough to mean anything. I mean, in my head, Sprinkle has been a frontrunner for the UW job for months. Everyone here knows that Hopkins is cooked, and has only been kept around because after this season his buyout finally drops to $500k. (UW paid dearly to can Jimmy Lake and, rich as the place is up here, ROI on basketball is not enough for a huge buyout. Hop's camp worked a miracle to get the extension that he did, and it's former AD Jen Cohen's biggest black mark.) It would be malpractice for the UW AD to NOT talk to Sprinkle. Obvs the money and the NIL favor UW, so it just comes down to what Sprinkle thinks he wants. Clearly this season has shown that someone can rebuild an entire program overnight and still kick everyone's butt. It's not like UW being bad right now means he can't turn it around next season. (Though I think it's more likely a Utah situation than a USU situation on Montlake.)

We complain about other schools not getting poached, but really, would you take any of those coaches over USU's last batch? (Maybe Dutcher, but SDSU is in a different league financially than the rest of us.) The Aztecs are the only other team that can match/beat the Aggie accomplishments of the last 5 years.

So yeah, maybe he's gone. I think with the season we've had here, Sprinkle's stock is an all time high. Any of us would cash in. I also think that USU has the resources and reputation to pull in another great coach. Track record has been pretty good for a few decades here, and a lot of guys would love to take their shot as an Aggie.

cval

Post by cval » March 2nd, 2024, 9:52 pm

3-2-1 has got to mean something. For some it might be a positive, for others it’s a negative.

I really don’t like it myself.

SaintAggie

Post by SaintAggie » March 2nd, 2024, 9:55 pm

We are becoming due for a flop hire. It's getting to the point that a kid would have to be nuts to come to USU, unless he was ok with leaving in a year or two max.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 2nd, 2024, 10:01 pm

SaintAggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 9:55 pm
We are becoming due for a flop hire. It's getting to the point that a kid would have to be nuts to come to USU, unless he was ok with leaving in a year or two max.
This is my concern also. You can't hit home runs on these coaching hires every time, regardless of how good the program it. We hired Duryea, after all. A strike out means we likely have 3-4 years of mediocre bball.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Full

Post by Full » March 2nd, 2024, 10:02 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 8:57 pm
Has anyone on this board ever negotiated for a raise in their entire life? Why don't you go into your boss' office and say, "This is my dream job, and I'm never leaving no matter what. But please give me a raise anyway." Let me know how that goes for you.

I find it bizarre and fascinating that the board is melting down and assuming that this tweet means that Sprinkle is gone. I'm sure that Sprinkle is going to get at least some interest from other schools that could pay more than USU does after this season. But I think it is extremely unlikely that that has been offered and accepted a job that is not even open currently.
I don’t think anyone on this board has attempted to negotiate a raise less than eleven months into a five year contract.

As for the meltdown let’s look at all the times the board had a meltdown over report from a national reporter and the coach didn’t leave. Matt Wells to Oregon State is the list.

Goodman had to have checked a confirmed something with a source with Washington and isn’t just floating this for Sprinkle to get a raise and more charter flights. If Washington hires Smith from Wazzu after this report their fans (donors) are going to be upset. One made the NCAA tournament two years running from the Big Sky and the other made the NIT two years in the PAC-12. Further Washington is a cultural fit and has the dollars to get it done. A $20 million contract and a $2.9 million buyout is reasonable and would put the Salary in the top 20 best paying jobs in College basketball. They are also motivated to try and compete in the Big 10.

Full

Post by Full » March 2nd, 2024, 10:12 pm

SaintAggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 9:55 pm
I think people underestimate the home court factor and how it translates to away games. Once you’ve been in the Spectrum, even arenas like Taco Bell or Lawlor don’t bother players as much. Coach has even said it contributes to 3-6 wins a season. You can also get that extra confidence from winning a game that you didn’t play that great in. I think it’s part of the reason coaches can turn it around faster at USU than places like Utah or VCU.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 2nd, 2024, 10:18 pm

Full wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 10:02 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 8:57 pm

I don’t think anyone on this board has attempted to negotiate a raise less than eleven months into a five year contract.

As for the meltdown let’s look at all the times the board had a meltdown over report from a national reporter and the coach didn’t leave. Matt Wells to Oregon State is the list.

Goodman had to have checked a confirmed something with a source with Washington and isn’t just floating this for Sprinkle to get a raise and more charter flights. If Washington hires Smith from Wazzu after this report their fans (donors) are going to be upset. One made the NCAA tournament two years running from the Big Sky and the other made the NIT two years in the PAC-12. Further Washington is a cultural fit and has the dollars to get it done. A $20 million contract and a $2.9 million buyout is reasonable and would put the Salary in the top 20 best paying jobs in College basketball. They are also motivated to try and compete in the Big 10.

Annnddd this is where my personal optimism that we are able to keep him comes into play. Is sprinkle an excellent coach? Sure is. Is 3 tournament bids, two of which were in a bad conference, and one in a really lucky year(yes we have been VERY VERY VERY Lucky in moments this year) , worthy of receiving that investment? Maybe. Making a guy who has never coached at the Power 5 in his life a top 20 paid coach in the country would be very risky.

Why not go throw that at a Current P5 coach that’s underpaid and winning? (I haven’t done research but that’s my guess that there is one).

Or a Rice, Pitino, or Medved.

Mark pope is sitting in Provo probably making just over a million a year. Played at UW. Knows the west coast. Why not him?

aggies1
Pick'em Champ - '20 BB Predict The Score & '20 FB Bowl

Post by aggies1 » March 2nd, 2024, 11:03 pm

This news leak has to be coming from Leon rice, Dutcher, or Alford. They know it is their only hope to win the MWC title…to get our coaches and players distracted in the final week so we lose focus on the prize. Hopefully our guys can see it for what it is. 😂

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 2nd, 2024, 11:04 pm

utaggies wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 9:03 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
trevordude wrote:

Within USU’s budget limitations there is not enough money that we could offer to retain a coach that a P5 school wants to steal. And that goes for retaining our best players under the NIL culture, too.
That may be true, but it doesn't mean that USU can't do more than it is currently doing. Remember when Stew interviewed for the Utah job and used it as leverage to increase his assistants' salaries? The best way to get your boss to open the checkbook is to threaten to leave if they don't. As I recall, Stew also flirted with Wyoming in order to get some extra money for his program. Just because a coach expresses interest in another job doesn't mean that the coach is leaving.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 2nd, 2024, 11:06 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 9:10 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
trevordude wrote:

Stanford, let’s say based on the info we currently have you have to bet everything you own.

Would you bet:

1. Sprinkle is coaching for Washington next year

Or

2. Sprinkle is NOT coaching at Washington next year.

For me, given it was Jeff Goodman that has leaked the info, I would reluctantly pick #1 from above.
Honestly, I would bet option 2 if only because if Sprinkle really wants to leave, I bet he can get a better job than Washington. But I have no idea what's going to happen. I'm just saying that the board meltdown seems incredibly premature at this point.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post:
LKGates

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic