Welp...Sprinkle frontrunner for Washington?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
twentytwocactus

Re: Welp...Sprinkle frontrunner for Washington?

Post by twentytwocactus » March 3rd, 2024, 12:32 am

ChowderAggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 4:22 pm
Well, at least if Danny goes to Washington, he won’t bring any players with him, right? Right?

Oh.

:cry:
[/

Yes. Because our players don’t make shiz for NIL. The only person that I’d care to have stay that actually had a chance of not transferring anywhere Is Falslev. But I could see him going to Utah. Guess that’s what USU gets for not adapting quickly.

twentytwocactus

Post by twentytwocactus » March 3rd, 2024, 12:33 am

ChowderAggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 4:22 pm
Well, at least if Danny goes to Washington, he won’t bring any players with him, right? Right?

Oh.

:cry:
[/

Yes. Because our players don’t make shiz for NIL. The only person that I’d care to have stay that actually had a chance of not transferring anywhere Is Falslev. But I could see him going to Utah. Guess that’s what USU gets for not adapting quickly.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 3rd, 2024, 12:41 am

For what it’s worth when asked about this possibility last Luncheon Coach looked us in the eye and said we don’t need to worry about him leaving. Shot down the possibility very quickly and definitively. So there is that.
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post (total 2):
aggies22ToastedFlakes52

#hornsup!

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 3rd, 2024, 1:33 am

Blue Sage wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 12:41 am
For what it’s worth when asked about this possibility last Luncheon Coach looked us in the eye and said we don’t need to worry about him leaving. Shot down the possibility very quickly and definitively. So there is that.
Like we've never heard that before.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post (total 2):
MrBiggleutaggies

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 3rd, 2024, 1:55 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 11:06 pm
Honestly, I would bet option 2 if only because if Sprinkle really wants to leave, I bet he can get a better job than Washington. But I have no idea what's going to happen. I'm just saying that the board meltdown seems incredibly premature at this point.
Premature exasperation. It's very common, and I hear there are treatments that can help.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 3rd, 2024, 2:06 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 6:39 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 6:34 pm
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 5:06 pm
bpd wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 5:00 pm
Goodman had breakfast with Sprinkle when Goodman was in town. Guaranteed they talked about this. Scotty should ask about this on the coaches show on Monday.

By the way, this would be devastating for the program. Not only is he a good coach, but why would players come to USU if coaches leave every year or two?

Also, Danny had to know Washington was going to happen last year. Hopkins has been a dead man walking.
Can somebody who knows/communicates with Scotty ask him to bring it up?
It doesn't really matter because it isn't as though Sprinkle would tell us the truth anyway. "No, no, UW hasn't come calling. I'm committed to building a long-term winner here in Logan."

Meanwhile, he's wearing a brand-new pair of UW silk boxers' underneath.

I can't see any way UW would let this leak out if it wasn't already agreed to at least in principle.
Scotty won’t ask a damn hard question if you paid him to anyway.

He throws softballs. Not a chance at all he asks Sprinkle in the coaches show “any truth to these rumors?”

He’s a company man through and through
And a closet byu fan.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 3rd, 2024, 2:10 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 7:20 pm
Dwigt wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 6:08 pm
If this happens, I hope we promote Andy Hill.
I like Andy but like coaches that have head coaching experience.
That's the formula. But by all means. Keep him on staff to hold on to our players and recruits

FreshieAggie
Been thanked: 0

Post by FreshieAggie » March 3rd, 2024, 2:40 am

If Sprinkle is gone, what's the likelihood we could get a coach like Amir Abdur-Rahim, John Groce, or some other mid-major coach. We are in a better conference and can definitely offer more than a lot of those other schools.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 3rd, 2024, 3:18 am

FreshieAggie wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 2:40 am
If Sprinkle is gone, what's the likelihood we could get a coach like Amir Abdur-Rahim, John Groce, or some other mid-major coach. We are in a better conference and can definitely offer more than a lot of those other schools.
Probably pretty good given that 1) several recent coaches have managed to land a better-paying job after coaching at USU, and 2) we would be sitting on a big pile of buyout cash that we can use to pay a new coach.

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » March 3rd, 2024, 5:44 am

FreshieAggie wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 2:40 am
Hear me out: hire Darian DeVries, as he is a package deal with his son who is first team all-conference in the Missouri Valley. His son may only have one year of eligibility left, but that’s about the shelf life for our coaches anyway these days.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 3rd, 2024, 6:06 am

Blue Sage wrote:
"These are not the droids you're looking for."
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 4):
AggieFBObsessionflying_scotsman2.0Aggie formerly in Hawaiiaggies22

cval

Post by cval » March 3rd, 2024, 7:16 am

As far as Stanford’s theory that this is a negotiation strategy by Sprinkle… You have that conversation with your boss in private. Starting the conversation with a leak to the press is not a good look. I hope Danny is not going about asking for a raise in that way.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » March 3rd, 2024, 7:33 am

TrueAG wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 6:05 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 6:00 pm
TrueAG wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 5:51 pm
slcagg wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 5:28 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 5:28 pm
jprism wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 5:24 pm
pilotaggie wrote:I'm out of the loop what connections does sprinkle have at Washington?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
His father played there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s close to Montana
But Seattle has become nothing like Montana.
Missoula and Bozeman are closer to Seattle culturally than they are the rest of Montana.
Sure. It could also be noted that Evanston, Wyoming is closer to Seattle culturally, but also geographically than the rest of Wyoming.
Well considering Sprinkle spent a lot of his life in Bozeman it seems relevant while Evanston has 0 relevance.
If you don’t see the relevance of Evanston in all of this then you haven’t been paying close enough attention.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.0Aggie formerly in HawaiiChowderAggie

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 3rd, 2024, 9:00 am

It’s 9 hours and 19 minutes to Bozeman from Seattle. Here it’s 5 hours and 30 minutes to Bozeman. One thing he has “said” he really liked that if there was an issue with his parents he can jump in a car and run home. He also said they take into account if his assistants can grow their families in a location or not. I know it all goes out the window when money is on the table but it’s what he said.

#hornsup!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 3rd, 2024, 9:01 am

cval wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 7:16 am
As far as Stanford’s theory that this is a negotiation strategy by Sprinkle… You have that conversation with your boss in private. Starting the conversation with a leak to the press is not a good look. I hope Danny is not going about asking for a raise in that way.
You really think Sprinkle told Goodman to post that tweet? The job is not even yet. I guarantee Sprinkle has had conversations with Sabau about increasing basketball fund increases.

BiocatAg

Post by BiocatAg » March 3rd, 2024, 9:04 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 1:33 am
Blue Sage wrote:
Like we've never heard that before.
I don't like ya, I luv ya!
These users thanked the author BiocatAg for the post:
AggieFBObsession

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » March 3rd, 2024, 9:14 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 5:09 pm
With Washington’s Big 10 money Ive got to think Sprinkle will be offered over $4M/year.

Add in huge NIL money and chartered flights and yes 100% gone.
Looks like they paid their coach $3,030,000 during the 2022-2023 season:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=70852

Whether Sprinkle leaves this year or after two or three years, it'd be nice to start our next coach with a seven-figure salary and increase that buyout a bit more.

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » March 3rd, 2024, 9:20 am

Blue Sage wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 9:00 am
It’s 9 hours and 19 minutes to Bozeman from Seattle. Here it’s 5 hours and 30 minutes to Bozeman. One thing he has “said” he really liked that if there was an issue with his parents he can jump in a car and run home. He also said they take into account if his assistants can grow their families in a location or not. I know it all goes out the window when money is on the table but it’s what he said.
How do those times look for flights, including travel to the airport? Plus, at $3-4 million a year, it's not unreasonable to occasionally book a private flight, which might be a bit more unrealistic at $900,000 per year.

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 3rd, 2024, 9:25 am

travelingagg wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 9:14 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
With Washington’s Big 10 money Ive got to think Sprinkle will be offered over $4M/year.

Whether Sprinkle leaves this year or after two or three years, it'd be nice to start our next coach with a seven-figure salary and increase that buyout a bit more.
Double the man’s salary now and I bet you would keep him, give him another year or so to get far better opportunities than a bottom end big ten program that lacks the fan support that gives you an edge through the season.
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025travelingagg

#hornsup!

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » March 3rd, 2024, 9:45 am

Blue Sage wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 9:25 am
travelingagg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Double the man’s salary now and I bet you would keep him, give him another year or so to get far better opportunities than a bottom end big ten program that lacks the fan support that gives you an edge through the season.
The Big Ten has the highest average attendance of any conference. Washington averaged 6,554 attendees per game compared to Utah State's 7,872 per game in 2021-22. I imagine Washington's attendance will only go up with a decent performance. And fan support for Washington at large is significant. Washington's the flagship. As good of a place as Utah State is to coach, Utah's politics, geography, and media situation all lead the team to get much less visibility and recognition than it deserves compared to if it were picked up and plopped into any other state in the U.S.

I'm hoping for the best but wouldn't be surprised for anything to happen.
These users thanked the author travelingagg for the post:
SeattleAg

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 3rd, 2024, 10:08 am

cval wrote:
I don't get the impression that Coach Sprinkle rolls that way. In my opinion, he's a straight shooter.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 6):
Aggie84025trevordudecvalToastedFlakes52stewusu98Full

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 3rd, 2024, 10:16 am

travelingagg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

This. I would miss sprinkle.

But the program is bigger than one coach.

Our next coach will start at 1.2 ish range, and go up from there, making the buyout after year 1 like 4 million.

Our conference is getting incredible notoriety right now.

Utah State is going to have A LOT of very interesting, exciting, and promising prospects to replace him.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 3rd, 2024, 10:17 am

If Sprinkle loves the northwest and mountain west he's got two options.
#1 stick with a stable job at Utah State.
#2 for a lot more play go to Washington or another school in the region for a lot of money.
2a. That comes with a lot of job instability. I understand he's a competitor and believes he'll be successful anywhere. That said, I wouldn't want to hop on a plane, even if it's reasonable to fly in/out of Seattle, and flight into multiple time zones knowing that my job is always on thin ice. I dunno. Maybe I just like less pressure and respect from my boss. The Big 10 is going to be a gauntlet for Washington in basketball. Not only do you still have to beat arch rival Oregon, but now you have to beat the likes of Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, UCLA etc with fewer resources.

I still cringe to think about that conference spreading from LA to NYC. What a mess. Even the NBA tries to make it more regional.

cval

Post by cval » March 3rd, 2024, 10:25 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 10:08 am
cval wrote:
I don't get the impression that Coach Sprinkle rolls that way. In my opinion, he's a straight shooter.
Perhaps I should have been clearer. I am not buying Stanfords theory that this is a negotiating ploy by Sprinkle for the reasons both you and I stated. That’s not the way I think Danny would go about it.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
aggies22

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 3rd, 2024, 10:25 am

aggies22 wrote:
cval wrote:
I have felt this way about him too. I also did with Smith. Not with odom though.

These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
aggies22

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 3rd, 2024, 10:27 am

I'm sure Sprinkle is being looked at. But not through the same blue-colored glasses we are. One season does not a great coach make. Washington's AD would be taking a huge risk shelling out that kind of money for a guy with that small a sample size (at a place EVERY coach wins at) especially after a couple of bad basketball hires. My money would be on WSUs coach who would please the fans / alumni.
Last edited by OrangeCountyAggie on March 3rd, 2024, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 3rd, 2024, 10:31 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 10:25 am
aggies22 wrote:
cval wrote:
I have felt this way about him too. I also did with Smith. Not with odom though.

That’s why smiths knife to the heart in the middle of the night hurt so bad. Makes sense, given his dorky showmanship and over-the-top enthusiasm. He may have been a bit of an actor, but very convincing. Odom may have always been looking to get out, but it never felt deceitful. How would he handle his glass of wine and Duck à l'orange with that on his chest?

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 3rd, 2024, 10:32 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 10:17 am
#2 for a lot more play go to Washington or another school in the region for a lot of money.
2a. That comes with a lot of job instability. I understand he's a competitor and believes he'll be successful anywhere. That said, I wouldn't want to hop on a plane, even if it's reasonable to fly in/out of Seattle, and flight into multiple time zones knowing that my job is always on thin ice. I dunno. Maybe I just like less pressure and respect from my boss. The Big 10 is going to be a gauntlet for Washington in basketball. Not only do you still have to beat arch rival Oregon, but now you have to beat the likes of Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, UCLA etc with fewer resources.

I still cringe to think about that conference spreading from LA to NYC. What a mess. Even the NBA tries to make it more regional.
Truly we don't know what motivates Sprinkle. Yes easy money motivates everyone but USU is a far better basketball situation. If he's a gambler knowing the team he had coming back, he' be smart to bet on himself and run it back at least one more year.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » March 3rd, 2024, 10:44 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 10:32 am
AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 10:17 am

Truly we don't know what motivates Sprinkle. Yes easy money motivates everyone but USU is a far better basketball situation. If he's a gambler knowing the team he had coming back, he' be smart to bet on himself and run it back at least one more year.
He could've done that last year with Montana St to an extent

Not sent from Tapatalk

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 3rd, 2024, 10:52 am

I am so weary of the drama. If Sprinkle does depart USU wil have had 6 coaches during the time Leon Rice has been the HC at BSU. The notion that it’s possible to pick up the pieces every two to three years is fiction. Continuity is the hallmark of a great program not constant turnover. And even that doesn’t take into account the effect of the coach always having one foot out the door has on the current roster let alone potential recruits.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post (total 5):
ChowderAggieAggie84025flying_scotsman2.0aggies2288USUAggie

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » March 3rd, 2024, 11:34 am

I’ll take Sprinkles word until proven wrong. Smith and Odom were liars. Sprinkle shouldn’t be held to their standard.
Might be time to bring Stew out of retirement if this all goes sideways.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
stewusu98

calaggie

Post by calaggie » March 3rd, 2024, 11:51 am

Sl7vk wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 11:34 am
I’ll take Sprinkles word until proven wrong. Smith and Odom were liars. Sprinkle shouldn’t be held to their standard.
Might be time to bring Stew out of retirement if this all goes sideways.
Has Sprinkle said anything about it?

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 3rd, 2024, 11:53 am

cval wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 10:25 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 10:08 am
cval wrote:
Perhaps I should have been clearer. I am not buying Stanfords theory that this is a negotiating ploy by Sprinkle for the reasons both you and I stated. That’s not the way I think Danny would go about it.
Well, if you want to pressure fans and donors to donate more to the NIL collective, there's not really a good way to do that privately. But that's not the point. Maybe Sprinkle is negotiating with Sabau and his agent leaked this without Sprinkle's knowledge to help with negotiations. Maybe Sprinkle just mentioned casually to Goodman that UW had called him (and thought it was off the record) and Goodman decided to tweet about it. If you're a journalist and put out a tweet like this with enough weasel words, then you are a genius if you're right but your tail end is covered if you're wrong.

The bigger point is that there are multiple actors who could have leaked this who have different motivations for doing so. Nobody really knows what is actually going on other than maybe Sprinkle himself. But there are many reasons that Goodman could have tweeted this out even if Sprinkle is not planning to leave for UW. And it seems extremely unlikely that UW's AD offered Sprinkle the job and Sprinkle accepted while UW's coach has not been fired yet. So the freakout in this thread seems incredibly premature right now.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggievegasaggie

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 3rd, 2024, 12:11 pm

travelingagg wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 9:45 am
Blue Sage wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 9:25 am
travelingagg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

The Big Ten has the highest average attendance of any conference. Washington averaged 6,554 attendees per game compared to Utah State's 7,872 per game in 2021-22. I imagine Washington's attendance will only go up with a decent performance. And fan support for Washington at large is significant. Washington's the flagship. As good of a place as Utah State is to coach, Utah's politics, geography, and media situation all lead the team to get much less visibility and recognition than it deserves compared to if it were picked up and plopped into any other state in the U.S.

I'm hoping for the best but wouldn't be surprised for anything to happen.
I would not assume that their attendance will go up if they are winning. As a UW Masters degree graduate basketball is second fiddle to football. Right now football is really good. When I was there hardly anyone went to the basketball games, HEC ED, seemed much smaller than the Spectrum (only 1,000 less seats) but it was never full. Not quite as bad as UU but if you are looking for home court advantage to carry you through middle of the season blah home games Washington is not the place to be.

It really comes down to what Sprinkle wants. I'm not sure what type of raise it would take me to move to Seattle but I can guarantee no one is offering me what it would take, and that is coming now from Denver, which is much closer to the Seattle cost-of-living than Logan. And call me USU blue goggled but I'd take a reasonable pay cut to move back to Logan from Denver.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionAggie84025

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » March 3rd, 2024, 12:12 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 10:27 am
I'm sure Sprinkle is being looked at. But not through the same blue-colored glasses we are. One season does not a great coach make. Washington's AD would be taking a huge risk shelling out that kind of money for a guy with that small a sample size (at a place EVERY coach wins at) especially after a couple of bad basketball hires. My money would be on WSUs coach who would please the fans / alumni.
Not sure why you would delete Sprinkles four successful years at Montana State which included two tourney appearances, a league title and two conference tourney titles.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
Aggie84025

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic